Valentine's Day is next week and while a box of chocolates and flowers might earn you some points, you'll definitely score by making something homemade. And you don't even have to create something overly complicated. It's the thought that counts... So, here is a heartfelt and handmade recipe for Gooey Baked S'mores.
Plop a heart-shaped marshmallow on top of some chocolate and a graham cracker, light it on fire and you are set! It is that easy. And that tasty!
1. What is a Valentine's Day recipe without heart-shaped things? So, we are going to use heart-shaped marshmallows. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut a marshmallow cake into tiny little hearts. See my recipe for old-fashioned marshmallows to learn how to make that cake.
2. Now line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the graham crackers on it, evenly spaced.
3. Place a chunk of chocolate on top of each graham cracker, sneaking a few nibbles for yourself, of course.
4. Place the baking sheet in the broiler for about 60 seconds, making sure not to burn the crackers like I did. Oops! You want the chocolate to be melted enough that it is warm and gooey but not dripping all over the place.
5. Remove the baking sheet and place a marshmallow atop each s'mores-to-be, pushing it gently into the gooey chocolate.
6. Using a cooking torch, brûlée each marshmallow until it is nice and toasty. Seriously, I don't think there is a better smell than toasting marshmallows. It's intoxicating!