Amazon: Amazon has been offering Black Friday Lightning Deals all week, with free shipping to boot. Pick up that cookbook/breadmaker/smoker you've had your eye on. If you are so inclined to face the crowds, arm yourself with Amazon's new free iPhone app called Price Check, which allows users to make in-store price comparisons by scanning the barcode of a product, taking a picture of an item, or saying the product's name into the phone. If the item is listed on Amazon, the app will display prices sorted from lowest to highest, and allow customers to purchase it right there.
Macy's: Admittedly, the puppies and kitties in the window at the Union Square Macy's are adorably cuddly, but they'll be there until January 2nd so no need to bum rush them on the busiest shopping day of the year. Black Friday deals will be sold both online and in stores. If you're in the market for some spiffy new kitchen appliances: Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor (on sale for $69.99, reg. $149.99) and KitchenAid Classic Stand Mixer (on sale for $179.99, reg. $299.99).
Etsy: Online marketplace for the homespun and artsy fartsy, find the best Black Friday deals on Etsy by searching the term "Black Friday Etsy" on the site. Of note: if you're looking for a unique, quirky foodie gift, this is a good place to start.
Best Buy: The same products promoted in its Thanksgiving Ads will be available online. Best Buy is also offering free shipping on online orders through Dec. 21, excluding laptops, iPads, iPods and some major appliances.
Apple: Even the almighty Apple is hopping on the Black Friday gravy train this year. For one day only, select items will be on sale at Apple stores and online.
To get the skinny on more Black Friday deals, check out Black Friday Online.
Sweet Potato Pancakes
Have some sweet potatoes left over from Thanksgiving? Remix it into this breakfast treat!
1 ½ cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups milk
½ cup mashed sweet potato
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 200 F (to keep the pancakes warm as you finish each batch).
2. Whisk together in a large bowl the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3. Whisk together in another bowl the wet ingredients: milk, sweet potatoes, egg, melted butter, and vanilla.
4. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently whisk them together until just combined (don't overmix).
5. Cook pancakes on a hot, buttered griddle or frying pan until the top of the pancakes bubble a bit, then flip and cook until the underside is lightly browned.
6. Keep warm on a foil-lined baking sheet in the warmed oven until all the batter has been used up. Serve with butter and maple syrup.