This week, KQED's Cy Musiker welcomes Marc Bamuthi Joseph, an artist and curator of performing arts at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. The two talk about an ancient masquerade tradition, the art and spirit of Oakland, and a joyous juke joint sound. The podcast also features a visit with Chef Joey Altman, and exposes his secret musical life. Listen to the show above, and click through the links below for details.
- July 26-Aug. 26: The Making of a Great Moment, a new play, at Z Space in San Francisco
- Aug. 9-Sept. 3: Black Odyssey at California Shakespeare Theater
- Aug. 16-27: Ethos de Masquerade at the Strand Theater in San Francisco
- Aug. 16 & 17: The Art and Soul Festival fills downtown Oakland with big crowds and a joyful spirit
- Aug. 17-20: The Genius of Ray Charles, Nina Simone, Miles Davis and Muscle Shoals at SFJAZZ in San Francisco
- Aug. 18: Matthew Sweet at the Independent
- Aug. 18, 24, 25: Bluesman Quinn DeVeaux at the New Parish, Armando's and the David Brower Center