Barney & Friends
A unique blending of education and entertainment for preschool children. Each episode emphasizes language and cognitive development, physical activity and social interaction.
Shapes and Colors (#1004) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Shapes: Baby Bop, BJ and the children prepare for the Shapes Carnival in the park. Riff knows he will do well at the carnival because he is wearing his lucky medal. But when he loses the medal, Riff is afraid he won't be able to play the games. It turns out that Riff has fun playing the games and he realizes he didn't need his lucky medal after all!
* Colors: When it starts to rain at the park, Baby Bop joins Barney and BJ inside the caboose. Baby Bop pokes her head out to see if the rain has stopped and spies a beautiful rainbow in the sky! But when the others come to see it...it's gone. Baby Bop is very disappointed because she liked all the pretty colors, so Barney and the others paint their own "life-sized" rainbow. When it starts to rain again, the homemade rainbow falls down and gets all wet. Luckily, a real rainbow takes its place!
- KQED Plus: Thu, May 23, 2013 -- 1:00pm
Seeing and Hearing (#1005) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Seeing: An ordinary game of "hide and seek" takes a not-so-ordinary turn when Baby Bop claims that an elephant is hiding in the park! Barney and Riff are happy to play along, but BJ thinks that his sister may be "seeing things". Fortunately, Barney takes this opportunity to help the young dinos learn about their sense of sight while having tons of fun!
* Hearing: BJ and Riff engage in a friendly contest to see which of them can find (or make) the loudest sound in the park. The playful competition continues to escalate... and along the way, the sounds of animals, musical instruments, and even fire engines are introduced.
- KQED Plus: Fri, May 24, 2013 -- 1:00pm
Glad to Be Me and Arts (#1006) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Glad to Be Me: Riff has many special qualities, but sometimes, his shyness makes it hard for him to meet new friends. When Barney introduces Riff to some of his friends in the park, it's Baby Bop that ends up feeling less than special as the kids seem more impressed with Riff and his special talents. Barney helps Baby Bop realize that there's more to being special than the things you can do. The way you feel and the way you make others feel makes you special, too.
Arts: It's a special day in the park as Barney and the little dinosaurs enjoy an Art Festival. BJ and Riff share some "musical art" and Baby Bop shares a painting of a very special friend. ..Barney! As the festival comes to an end, Barney reminds his friends everywhere that no matter what kind of art they make, it's always special when it comes from their hearts!
- KQED Plus: Mon, May 27, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Movement and Bj's Snack Attack (#1007) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Movement: When some of the children in the park invite Barney to join them for a race, BJ and Baby Bop decide he'll need their help. They show him several ways to get ready for the big race by warming up and stretching. By the end of the day, everyone finds out that there are many fun ways to exercise.
BJ's Snack Attack: When BJ starts to feel sick after eating too many sweets, he lies down in hopes of feeling better. He has a dream about a snack fantasyland where he eats as many sweets as he wants and ends up with a big stomachache. When he wakes up, he's happy to find out it was only a dream. When he asks for a healthy snack, his friends are happy to oblige!
- KQED Plus: Tue, May 28, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Counting and Letters (#1008) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Counting: BJ and Riff find a pirate map, but in order to find the treasure, they have to be able to count. Since Baby Bop hasn't learned to count yet, Barney offers to help teach her so she is not left behind. In the end, Baby Bop learns to count and realizes that feeling good about herself is the greatest treasure in the world!
Letters: It's time for a music concert in the park. As Riff works on his "one-man band", the others make posters for the show. Everyone enjoys Riff's calypso rendition of a favorite song, and they all enjoy helping each other!
- KQED Plus: Wed, May 29, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Pets and Vets (#1009) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Pets: BJ learns that having a pet is a much bigger responsibility than he ever expected when he offers to take care of a friend's dog! When he accidentally loses the dog, everyone has to work together to find it!
* Vets: When Baby Bop's favorite teddy bear is torn, she wants to take him to the veterinarian for help. Barney and Riff pretend to be veterinarians. They show Baby Bop that there's nothing to be afraid of, because doctors and veterinarians are our friends too!
- KQED Plus: Thu, May 30, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Winter and Summer (#1010) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Winter: When Baby Bop is surprised by the first day of cold weather, it's Barney that helps her see winter can be a wonderful time for fun. Baby Bop is getting discouraged, wondering if it will ever snow! Then, when she least expects it - the snow begins to fall!
Summer: On a hot summer day, Barney teaches BJ about all the fun activities you can do during the summer. BJ gets so excited that he corrals Riff into joining him to do a whole summer's worth of activities, all in one day! With some help from Baby Bop and the children, Barney teaches BJ that summer means relaxation, too!
- KQED Plus: Fri, May 31, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Pistachio and Full Team Ahead (#1101) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Pistachio: Barney is snacking on pistachios...and just can't seem to stop! His young friends try to help by hiding them from Barney. When that doesn't work, they tell him a story to help him stop eating pistachios. An unexpected avalanche of pistachios convinces Barney that the others may be right. Sometimes, even Barney can learn a lesson from his caring friends! Educational theme: To learn about self discipline. Music curriculum: Rhyming word play.
* Full Team Ahead: BJ is looking everywhere to find players for his baseball team. But when his baseball-impaired cousin Riff asks to play, BJ is faced with a difficult choice. BJ postpones his decision, but not before he has hurt Riff's feelings. Barney helps BJ explore the deeper meaning of team sports, friendships, and winning. This helps the cousins realize that their friendship puts them on the same team.. .now and forever! Educational theme: To learn about friendship, empathy and loyalty. Music curriculum: Labeling and demonstrating of a dulcimer.
- KQED Plus: Mon, Jun 3, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
The Magic Words and Litterbot (#1102) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* The Magic Words: In her eagerness to play with her friends, Baby Bop forgets to say "please" and "thank you". Barney tells her that these two words can be magic--they are polite words to use and people feel good when they hear them. Baby Bop has a daydream where she just can't say the magic words no matter how hard she tries! After her daydream, she remembers to be polite and always use the magic words! Educational theme: Practicing good manners such as saying, "please" and "thank you." Music curriculum: Strolling musicians play a drum, flute, mandolin and tambourine.
* Litterbot: Riff shares his dream of becoming an inventor with his friends. When Baby Bop's papers blow off the table and litter the park, Riff seizes the opportunity to show them his first invention. He invented something to pick up litter...the Litterbot! In the end, the robot malfunctions and creates even more trash. It's up to Barney and Baby Bop to teach Riff that they don't need a robot to clean up -they can clean up after themselves! Educational theme: Responsibility and environmental awareness.
- KQED Plus: Tue, Jun 4, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Bop 'til You Drop and the Sleepless Sleepover (#1103) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Bop 'til You Drop: The park is especially full of kids today, but all of them are busy playing. Baby Bop can't find anyone to play what she wants to play. When the others notice she is sad, they tell her they will play whatever she suggests. This works well at first, until Baby Bop becomes a little bossy. Barney helps her understand that being bossy isn't a nice way to treat your friends.
* The Sleepless Sleepover: Barney and his friends are planning an overnight campout in the park. Melanie has never been on a campout, and she's feeling a little nervous. When Barney tells her all about the fun they will have, Melanie decides to give it a try. What could be better than sharing her very first campout with her friends and Barney?
- KQED Plus: Wed, Jun 5, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Little Red Rockin' Hood and the Whole Truth (#1104) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Little Red Rockin' Hood: Baby Bop is having a hard time finding a story she hasn't heard before. Barney and the little dinos decide to tell her an old story with a new twist! They tell the story of "Little Red Riding Hood" in a whole new way...by singing it!
The Whole Truth: A talented young artist is painting a portrait of Barney, but when she has to step away, BJ is mistaken for the artist of the portrait. BJ has a hard time correcting this misunderstanding. The situation snowballs as the others beg him to teach them to paint like that! In the end, BJ admits the truth and learns that honesty is the best policy!
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jun 6, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
The Wind and the Sun and the Nature of Things (#1105) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
The Wind and the Sun: Baby Bop is excited to set up a lemonade stand on a beautiful, sunny day. Unfortunately, BJ thinks her spot is the perfect place to fly his kite. The two begin to argue about which is better, the sun or the wind. After sharing the story of "The Wind and the Sun," Barney teaches them that kindness always works better than force.
The Nature of Things: Rachel enters the park and carelessly throws her trash on the ground. Later, when she falls asleep in the caboose, she has a dream that the park animals can talk. Through the animals' and Barney's help, Rachel learns that the park is home to many creatures. She learns the importance of nature and of keeping our earth clean!
- KQED Plus: Fri, Jun 7, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
The New Kid and Grandpa's Visit (#1106) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
The New Kid: When Riff meets a new friend in the park, BJ feels a little left out. BJ goes to great lengths to try to find a new friend for himself. Barney helps BJ see that we don't have to forget old friends when we make new ones.
Grandpa's Visit: Barney, Baby Bop and the children are planning to go to a movie. Ryan learns he can't come along because his Grandpa is coming to visit from out of town. Ryan is disappointed - he wanted to go to the movie with his friends. When Grandpa arrives, Ryan soon realizes his Grandpa is a lot of fun!
- KQED Plus: Mon, Jun 10, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Barney's Big Garden and Listen! (#1107) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Barney's Big Garden: Baby Bop wants Barney, BJ and the kids to play with her instead of working in their garden. They promise to play with her as soon as they finish. Baby Bop can't wait, and tries many ways to get them to come play with her now, none of which work. When her friends do come to play, they have a tea party and enjoy some of the fresh vegetables from the garden. Baby Bop discovers that some things are worth the wait!
Listen: When Riff hears a mysterious sound in the park, he plays detective, trying to solve the mystery. Barney and the children join in the fun. Along the way, they explore the sense of sound while identifying sounds of nature and the neighborhood.
- KQED Plus: Tue, Jun 11, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Lost and Found and Pot Full of Sunshine (#1108) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Lost and Found: When everyone gets tickets to the circus, BJ convinces them to let him hold onto the tickets until show time. Distracted by the fun of playing basketball, BJ loses the tickets. After a frantic search, he finds the tickets and learns a valuable lesson about responsibility.
A Pot Full of Sunshine: On a day of fun with Barney and her friends, Baby Bop discovers a lonely little flower, struggling to grow in a shady spot in the park. She takes it to a sunny spot, nurtures it, and makes it her friend. Baby Bop is thrilled when the flower blooms. On the first day of a cold fall morning, the flower dies and Baby Bop is heartbroken. But with help from her friends, she deals with her grief, and gains hope for the future.
- KQED Plus: Wed, Jun 12, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Trail Boss Barney and Get Happy! (#1109) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Trail Boss Barney: Three children try to build a pretend farm, but have a hard time working together. Barney takes them to a ranch to show them how all the people there have to work together to keep things running smoothly. The children learn about cooperation and fun on a ranch, and even get to meet a celebrity cowboy cook!
Get Happy: Barney, Baby Bop, BJ and Riff discover a sad little girl in the park one day and try to cheer her up. Nothing seems to work, so Riff invents a Happiness Machine. In the end, it is her friends who made her happy, not the machine at all!
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jun 13, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
For The Fun of It and Starlight, Star Bright (#1110) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
For the Fun of It: After BJ sees Terry play basketball, he wants to learn the teenager's fancy moves. He's trying so hard, but just can't seem to do it! More importantly, he's not even having fun anymore. After some advice from Barney and Terry, BJ decides to do his best and have fun!
Starlight, Star Bright: On a campout at the park, Barney and the others have fun imagining cloud and star pictures in the sky. Suddenly, Baby Bop sees a falling star. She wants to find it and return it to the sky, but instead finds only a lightning bug. With the help of Barney, his friends and a little imagination, they all send a paper star soaring into the sky to replace the star that fell.
- KQED Plus: Fri, Jun 14, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Big As Barney and No, No, No! (#1111) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Big as Barney: When Ryan notices how much everyone loves Barney, he tries to be just like him; but he has a hard time filling Barney's shoes. Then Ryan learns that he is special when he's just being himself! Educational theme: Being happy with who you are.
* No, No, No!: It's just "one of those days" for Baby Bop! Every time she turns around, someone is telling her "no!" As her frustrations grow, Barney explains that the word "no" can help you avoid making mistakes or getting hurt. Educational theme: Following directions, being polite.
- KQED Plus: Mon, Jun 17, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
The Emperor's Contest and Beethoven's Hear! (#1112) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* The Emperor's Contest: Everyone is excited about a fishing contest that is being held in the park, everyone except Ryan, who doesn't want to follow the contest rules. When Ryan is tempted not to follow the rules, Barney tells a story called "The Emperor's Contest" about a boy who had a similar problem. When it's over, Ryan decides that honesty is the best policy! Educational theme: Honesty.
* Beethoven's Hear!: Riff can hear music in anything! When he meets a friend who can't hear well, Riff wonders if he would still like music if he couldn't hear so well. Barney tells everyone about a famous musician named Beethoven who wrote beautiful music even though he couldn't hear it. Educational theme: Listening to classical music, appreciating diversity.
- KQED Plus: Tue, Jun 18, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Best In Show and the Chase (#1114) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Best in Show: When the kids decide to have a Dog Show to show off their pets, BJ feels a little left out. He doesn't have a dog, and he sure wishes he did! A friend from the park shares her dog with BJ so he can join in the fun. Everyone has a great time and realizes that all of their dogs are winners!
* The Chase: On a rainy day, Barney and his friends are having a hard time deciding what to do because everyone wants to play the same role!. Barney tells a Native American tale called "The Chase", to help everyone understand that it's best to think for themselves and not to follow the crowd.
- KQED Plus: Wed, Jun 19, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
The Shrinking Blankey and the Awful Tooth (#1116) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* The Shrinking Blankey: Baby Bop's blankey seems to be getting smaller;she's convinced it's shrinking. But Barney shows her that, actually, SHE is growing. She is not sure she likes this idea at first, but Barney soon helps her see that growing and changing are very good things! Educational theme: Growing.
* The Awful Tooth: Riff takes a bite of ice cream and realizes that he has a very sore tooth. He's a little afraid of going to the dentist to have it checked, so the others put on a show to help him see that the dentist is his friend and that there isn't anything to be afraid of. Educational theme: Dental health awareness.
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jun 20, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
The Blame Game and What's Your Name (#1117) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* The Blame Game: Marcos accidentally breaks an art show project that Melanie has made. Afraid that she will be angry, he doesn't say anything, but then feels guilty. Barney helps him see that honesty and taking responsibility for what we do is always best. Educational theme: Taking responsibility for one's actions.
* What's Your Name?: One of Barney's friends, Myra, has decided she doesn't like her name. After learning all about many names, and what they mean, Barney helps her see that it's a very special name - because it's hers. Educational theme: Learning what names mean and the origin of different names. Music curriculum: An introduction to the guitar.
- KQED Plus: Fri, Jun 21, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
The Magic Caboose and Bj The Great (#1118) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* The Magic Caboose: Melanie is sad because she misses her friend who is visiting relatives in India. Barney shows his friends that it's fun to go to new places and see new things by taking them on an imaginary journey on the Magic Caboose! Educational theme: An introduction to different countries.
* BJ the Great: BJ wants to be a great magician, but he doesn't want to spend any time practicing. He convinces Baby Bop to help him do a trick, and makes her disappear. When BJ thinks she is gone forever, he realizes the importance of practice. Luckily, Baby Bop hasn't disappeared after all! Educational them: Practice, perseverance, making mistakes, problem solving.
- KQED Plus: Mon, Jun 24, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Riff's Musical Zoo and the Princess and the Frog (#1120) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Riff's Musical Zoo: Everyone is excited about an upcoming trip to the zoo. When the trip is postponed, Riff decides to create a musical zoo. He gathers instruments that sound like real animals. Everyone has a wonderful time at Riff's musical zoo. Educational theme: Learning about different musical instruments.
* The Princess and the Frog: When Baby Bop hesitates on keeping her promise to watch Ryan's pet frog while he's away, Barney tells her a tale about keeping your word. The friends help tell the story of "The Frog Prince" and Baby Bop learns a lesson in friendship along the way!
- KQED Plus: Tue, Jun 25, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Way to Go! A Travel Adventure (#1201) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Inspired by Daniel's trip the next day, Baby Bop wants to go on a trip of her own! With the help of Barney, and their imaginations, Baby Bop, Riff, and the kids have fun exploring all types of travel using cardboard boxes. Their grand finale ends up being on a cardboard cruise ship sailing "over the ocean blue."
- KQED Plus: Wed, Jun 26, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
The Misbegotten Moon, A Space Adventure (#1202) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
To her dismay, Baby Bop sees a half-moon and thinks the moon is broken in half! Through comic events, she goes on a search to find the missing pieces. Barney takes her and the kids on a magical adventure to the moon where she meets the Man in the Moon who eases her concerns.
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jun 27, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
The Sword in the Sandbox, A Storybook Adventure (#1203) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Daniel tries to jump-rope with some older kids, but intimidation sets in. He's convinced that he's just too little to do anything right. Barney helps our young protagonist by telling him a story of "The Sword in the Sandbox," a comical re-telling of the King Arthur legend. In the end, Daniel learns that there are many things he can do... if he tries hard enough.
- KQED Plus: Fri, Jun 28, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Also on KQED.org this week ...
We Need You!
Volunteer during our current on-air radio fundraising drive. It's a great way to support KQED Radio with your time. You can really make a difference!
Enter the New "ImageMakers" Screening Room
Enjoy films from present and past seasons of KQED's short independent film series, divided into Animation, Comedy, Drama, and Suspense.