From Ithaca to the Amazon (#2014H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG (Secondary audio: none)
2014's installment in the Emmy Award-winning series featuring inspiring portraits of 6 passionate and dedicated activists. These are true environmental heroes who have placed themselves squarely in harm's way to battle intimidating adversaries while building strong grassroots support. The New Environmentalists share a common goal - safeguarding the Earth's natural resources from exploitation and pollution, while fighting for justice in their communities. Narrated by Robert Redford, the program illustrates how ordinary people are effecting extraordinary change.
* United States - Attorney Helen Slottje helped towns across New York State protect themselves from fracking by utilizing a clause in the state constitution that empowers municipalities to make local land use decisions.
* Peru - Overcoming a history of traumatic violence from Peru's civil war, Ruth Buend?a united the Ash?ninka people in a powerful campaign against large-scale dams that would have uprooted indigenous communities.
* South Africa - Desmond D'Sa rallied south Durban's diverse and disenfranchised communities to successfully shut down a toxic waste dump that exposed nearby residents to dangerous chemicals and violated their constitutionally protected right to a safe and clean environment.
* Indonesia - A biologist by training, Rudi Putra is protecting the habitat of the critically endangered Sumatran rhino by dismantling illegal palm oil plantations that destroy northern Sumatra's Leuser Ecosystem.
* Russia - An internationally recognized zoologist, Suren Gazaryan led protests and social networking campaigns exposing President Putin's illegal use of federally protected forests near the Black Sea.
* India - With a small Internet cafe as his headquarters, Ramesh Agrawal organized indigenous people to demand their right to information and succeeded in shutting down one of the largest proposed coal mines in Chhattisgarh.
- KQED 9: Wed, Apr 15, 2015 -- 7:30pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Thu, Apr 16, 2015 -- 1:30am email reminder
- KQED World: Sat, Apr 18, 2015 -- 1:00pm email reminder
- KQED World: Sat, Apr 18, 2015 -- 7:30pm email reminder
- KQED World: Sun, Apr 19, 2015 -- 8:30am email reminder
- KQED World: Sun, Apr 19, 2015 -- 12:30pm email reminder
- KQED World: Sun, Apr 19, 2015 -- 5:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Wed, Apr 22, 2015 -- 10:30pm email reminder
From Chicago to Karoo (#2013H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
The latest installment of the Emmy award winning series features portraits of 6 passionate and dedicated activists. They are true environmental heroes who have placed themselves squarely in harm's way to battle intimidating adversaries, while often creating partnerships with unlikely allies. The New Environmentalists share a common goal, safeguarding the Earth's natural resources from exploitation and pollution, while fighting for environmental justice in their communities.