This animated series is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. It is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
Tomato, You Say/Martha Questions (#606H) Duration: 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Tomato, You Say: Why is there a tomato on T.D.'s shirt? Helen's eager to know. Unfortunately, she'd have an easier time getting Martha to skip breakfast than getting a straight answer from T.D. Will she ever find out? Vocabulary: (E) image, indicate, insignia, remind, symbol. Martha Questions: Is Martha only speaking in questions? Why would that be? Can Skits help her figure it out? Did somebody put something funny in her soup? Will the questions ever stop??? Vocabulary: (E) convey, inquire, period, punctuation, question mark.
Thou Callest Me A Dog/Martha's Paper Chase (#604H) Duration: 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Thou Callest Me a Dog: A dog speaking Shakespeare? 'Tis a consumation devoutly to be wished and achieved when Martha swallows Hamlet. Never was a dog's desire for meat so artfully expressed. Vocabulary: (E) dialogue, director, monologue, producer, soliloquy. Martha's Paper Chase: It's the Town Crier deadline and Carolina needs a headline. Hot on the trail for a story, and a biscuit, Senior Canine Reporter Martha stumbles into a scoop that screams front page: the whereabouts of Big Minnie. But is exposing Minnie's privacy worth the story? Vocabulary: (E) confirm, feature, integrity, topic, verify.
- KQED Kids: Tue, Jun 30, 2015 -- 2:00pm
- KQED Kids: Sun, Jul 5, 2015 -- 2:00pm Remind me
Martha Puts Out The Lights (Pts. 1 & 2) (#203H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha Puts Out the Lights, Part 1 - For Martha and the other dogs, Saturday night fireworks are the worst part of summer, and Mrs. Demson couldn't agree more. In fact, she's trying to get people to sign a petition to ban fireworks. Can Martha get enough signatures to make summer less scary for dogs? Vocabulary: (E) petition, illegal, cause, picket(ing), goal, ban(ning) (ed), protest(ing) (I) sign(ning) (ed), ask(ing), "on strike".
* Martha Puts Out the Lights, Part 2 - Helen and her friends are devastated about the fireworks ban. Martha realizes that she helped Mrs. Demson ruin their fun, but can she find a way to reverse the ban and still protect her sensitive ears? Vocabulary: (E) purpose, signature(s), unite, majority, prohibit(ed) (I) fireworks, summer, write, support(ed).
Bulldozer Versus Dinosaur!/Carolina Tackles Football (#403H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Bulldozer Versus Dinosaur! - T.D. ponders the age-old question: what's more powerful, a bulldozer or a dinosaur? The kids can't come to an agreement, so T.D. does what any boy faced with this question would do. He uses a time machine to bring a dinosaur back from the late Cretaceous period. Let the competition begin. Vocabulary: (E) match, force, equal, contend(er), clash. Carolina Tackles Football - The Wagstaff Dogs are tired of losing every game. In their search for new leadership, the gang is shocked to discover a fanatical football coach in...Carolina? Can the girly-girl protect her image and still bring the team to victory? Vocabulary: (E) pass, tackle, fumble, huddle, intercept(ion).
- KQED Kids: Wed, Jul 1, 2015 -- 2:00pm
- KQED Kids: Sat, Jul 4, 2015 -- 6:00am Remind me
The Penguin Always Rings Twice/The Martha Code (#204H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* The Penguin Always Rings Twice - Someone keeps stealing the zoo's peanut supply. All clues point to Jeffy the elephant, but Martha and Skits are determined to prove his innocence. Can their crack crime-fighting team - a lemur, a bat, a penguin, a baby tiger, and Jeffy - help them outwit the thieves? Vocabulary: (E) mystery, clue, culprit, hunch, motive (I) first, second, next, last, after.
* The Martha Code - After Martha accidentally eats a secret code, it's really, really hard to understand what she's saying. Now Martha's lost and she's leaving Helen coded phone messages. Can Helen break the code and find out where she is? Vocabulary: (E) code, decipher, message, gibberish, arbitrary (I) (un) break(able), crack, secret(s), key, figure out.
Martha in the Hold/Get Along, Little Doggies (#205H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha in the Hold - Martha's family is going out West on vacation and Martha doesn't want to be left behind. But that cargo hold where dogs have to travel sounds scary. Can Martha find her ticket to ride? Vocabulary: (E) cargo, passenger(s), turbulence, arriv(e)(s)(ing)(val) , depart(s)(ed) (I) travel(ing), suitcase(s), flight, trip, Take(s) (ing) off.
* Get Along, Little Dogies! - Martha is excited to go on a cattle drive. Cookie the cowhand isn't so sure that Martha is fit for the trip and he might be right. Can Martha show Cookie that she has what it takes to be at home on the range? Vocabulary: (E) vacation(ing), stampede, lodging, sightseeing, cattle drive, scenery (I) wagon, cowboy(s), camp, outdoors, tour(s).
Truman's Mad/Dog for a Day (#304H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Truman's Mad - When Truman sends away for a science kit, he dreams about all the new inventions he will create. But can reality really live up to his big dreams? Vocabulary: (E) explore, theory, analyz(e) (ing), outcome, effect (I) note(s), lab, kit, finding(s), magnet(ism) (s).
* Dog for a Day - TD thinks dogs have it easy - no school, no homework, no schedule - but Martha begs to differ. When the two decide to switch roles for a day, they discover that life can be surprisingly tough in someone else's shoes (or tail). Vocabulary: (E) hypothesis, experiment, conclusion, compare(d), result(s) (I) human, canine, science, easy, hard(er).
Martha Takes The Cake/Codename: Martha (#103H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha Takes the Cake - It's Alice's birthday and everybody's invited, including Martha. The only problem is that Nelson (Martha's cat nemesis) will be there too. When somebody-or some animal-ruins the birthday cake, Alice's brother Ronald thinks Martha's responsible. Martha proclaims her innocence . . . but why was she surrounded by cake crumbs? Vocabulary - (E) innocent, guilty, biased, witness(ed), evidence (I) judge, jury, trial, prove, true/truth.
* Codename: Martha - Martha, Helen, and T.D. uncover a plot to rob the jewelry store, or so they think until their two suspects turn out to be police detectives on a stakeout. Now that everybody has gone home in disgrace, how will Martha catch the real criminals? Vocabulary - (E) suspicious, accomplice, plot(ting), proof, expression (I) fishy, partner, plan(ning), positive.
- KQED Kids: Sat, Jul 4, 2015 -- 2:00pm Remind me
Alice Covers Up/Carolina Picks A Lily (#305H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Alice Covers Up - It's a pool party! Everyone is going, including Alice... until she becomes involved in a strange cover-up. Vocabulary: (E) (self)confiden(t)(ce), complexion, timid, outgoing, bashful (I) color, sort, brand, fair/fair-skinned, dye.
* Carolina Picks a Lily - Carolina adopts a new puppy, and she's so excited. It matches her purse! But when the gang points out the pup won't stay pocketbook-sized for long (check out those paws!), she regrets her impulsive adoption. Will they be able to find a home for Lily? Vocabulary: (E) shallow, temperament, vicious, impulsive, foster, hypoallergenic (I) sweet, type, breed, kind, nasty.
Martha's Market/Bye Bye Burger Boy (#404H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Martha's Market - Martha pitches in to run Tio Jorge's market when everyone else is busy. Will Martha and her canine coworkers be able to satisfy their customers' needs? Or is a staff of dogs in a store full of food a recipe for trouble? Vocabulary: (E) market, stock, inventory, display, order. Bye Bye Burger Boy - Burger Boy, the gang's favorite childhood restaurant, is going out of business. Can Martha and Friends' advertising campaign save their local eatery? Or are they doomed because of competition from the newest burgerchain in town, Big Burgertorium? VocabularY: (E) business, customer, commercial, advertistement, market(ing).
Martha to the Rescue/Martha Camps Out (#104H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha to the Rescue - Martha is inspired by her favorite show, "Courageous Collie Carlo." Unfortunately, her attempts to become a doggie hero don't quite work out the way she plans. In the end, both Martha and Helen discover they can be courageous when it really matters. Vocabulary - (E) rescue, courageous, danger, protect(ion), hero(ic) (I) save, strong, harm, escape, trouble.
* Martha Camps Out - Ronald finds out that Helen and Alice plan to go camping and warns them about Big Minnie, a mythical monster who lives in the woods. Undeterred, the campers set off. After all, everybody knows Big Minnie's imaginary. Or is she?
* Vocabulary - (E) honorary, brave(ry), earn, merit badge, frighten(ed) (ing), helpful (I) guard, scared, afraid.
- KQED Kids: Wed, Jul 8, 2015 -- 10:30pm Remind me
- KQED Kids: Thu, Jul 9, 2015 -- 4:30am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Thu, Jul 9, 2015 -- 6:00am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Mon, Jul 13, 2015 -- 2:00pm Remind me
- KQED Kids: Sat, Jul 18, 2015 -- 2:00pm Remind me
- KQED Kids: Thu, Jul 30, 2015 -- 10:30pm Remind me
- KQED Kids: Fri, Jul 31, 2015 -- 4:30am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Fri, Jul 31, 2015 -- 6:00am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Fri, Jul 31, 2015 -- 2:00pm Remind me
Martha Speaks Martha's Dirty Habit/Helen's All Thumbs (#130H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha's Dirty Habit - Every spring, Martha gets an urge to dig that she just can't control. When Martha's habit gets her in trouble with the whole neighborhood, the family decides they need to put her desire to dig to good use.
* Helen's All Thumbs - Ronald gives Helen his old gamekid, and pretty soon she's hooked! She forgets to walk Martha, neglects her homework, and becomes completely preoccupied. When Helen forgets to feed Martha and Skits again, and misses the fieldtrip because she forgot her permission slip, she turns to Martha for help. Can Helen break the habit?
Martha Bakes/Martha Makes Scents (#131H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha Bakes - Helen is sad when her drawing doesn't win the art competition, so Mom decides to bake her a cake to cheer her up. But when a last-minute order comes in at the flower shop, Martha and Skits decide to take over. Do two dogs with no thumbs (and a cookbook) have what it takes to bake?
* Martha Makes Scents - Always on the lookout for a way to avoid bathing, Martha decides TD's dad OG should invent a perfume that will cover up her doggy scent. After a few tries, he concocts the perfect pooch perfume. So why is Martha begging for a bath?
Martha Speaks Martha The Witness/Martha Takes A Stand (#132H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha the Witness - Mrs. Demson hates dogs and blames them for everything, which is a problem since she lives right down the street from Martha. But she changes her tune after Martha witnesses an accident that destroys Mrs. Demson's lawn furniture. Now Mrs. Demson will do anything to get Martha to appear as her witness in court.
* Martha Takes a Stand - Something smells bad and it's Martha. Faced with yet another bath, Martha makes a stand for her right to, well, stink. But if Martha is going to stand up for her rights, Dad says she can do it outside. Will Martha be an outside dog forever?
- KQED Kids: Mon, Jul 13, 2015 -- 10:30pm Remind me
- KQED Kids: Tue, Jul 14, 2015 -- 4:30am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Tue, Jul 14, 2015 -- 6:00am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Thu, Jul 16, 2015 -- 2:00pm Remind me
- KQED Kids: Sat, Jul 18, 2015 -- 10:30pm Remind me
- KQED Kids: Sun, Jul 19, 2015 -- 4:30am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Sun, Jul 19, 2015 -- 6:00am Remind me
Martha in the White House, Part 1 & 2 (#206H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha in the White House, Part 1 - The new president is looking for a dog to live in the White House. Martha knows the perfect dog for the job! What better way to recommend some of her neighborhood pals than to put in a few calls to the White House herself? Vocabulary: (E) neighborhood, nation(al), volunteer, recommend(ing), community, nominate (I) president, white house, leader, country.
* Martha in the White House, Part 2 - The president is calling! One of his aides heard about Martha's speaking ability and he needs her to report to the White House immediately. But why does the president want Martha? Is there a top-secret cat conspiracy? Vocabulary: (E) mission, function(ing), appoint(ed)(ing)(ment), advise/advisor, representative(s), cabinet (I) aide(s), serve(d), official, secretary.
The Jakey Express/Martha, Sled Dog (#207H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* The Jakey Express - Stuck in a traffic jam, Helen's dad tells the story of the day Jake was born, and how Martha was able to drum up an inventive means of transportation to get mom to the hospital on time. Vocabulary: (E) schedule(d), deliver(y)(ies), funicular, delay(ed), transportation (I) flag(ging)(ed) down, lift, early, late, traffic, on time.
* Martha, Sled Dog - Truman tells Martha the story of Balto, the heroic Alaskan sled dog. Now Martha wants to become a sled dog, too! Weaselgraft and Pablum overhear her desire to mush. Will Malto deliver herself right into their hands? Vocabulary: (E) serum, sled, vehicle, transform, accelerate (I) glide, hitch, steer, haul, brake.
Paws and Effect/The Trouble with Teddy (#208H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Paws and Effect - When Martha gets a piece of glass in her paw, everyone realizes that littering hurts more than the environment. But what can they do about it? As Alice, Helen, and TD know, protecting the environment (and paws) is important, but it is easier said than done. Vocabulary: (E) discard(ed)(ing), litter(ed)(ing), thoughtless, debris, recycle(d)(ing) (I) careless(ly), trash, important, broke(n), injured.
* The Trouble with Teddy - Teddy, a neighborhood dog, is sick, and the vet doesn't know why. When Martha is called in to consult, even she can't diagnose the patient. Enlisting the help of the dog pack, they scour the yard for hazardous materials - when the cause of the problem could be right under their noses. Vocabulary: (E) hazardous, ingest(ed), environment, poisonous, pesticide(s) (I) rotten, spoil(ed), safe, dangerous, gross.
Que Pasa, Martha/TD Is Talking Dog (#209H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Que Pasa, Martha - Senor Craig expects everyone to present an oral report in Spanish, and Alice is a nervous wreck! With the help of Martha and some Mexican alphabet soup, she aces her presentation, but did she actually deserve her grade? Vocabulary: (E) recite(d), memoriz(ed)(ation), bilingual, pronouc(e) (iation), articulate (I) speech, oral, aloud, voice, remember.
* TD Is Talking Dog - Inspired by an old Tarzan-style movie, TD decides to learn animal languages and become an animal linguist. Under Martha's tutelage, he begins his lessons. Vocabulary: (E) enunciate, language, linguist, vocabulary, accent (I) tone, again, repeat, animal, phrase.
The Opera Contest/Maestro Martha (#306H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* The Opera Contest - An opera contest! Sounds boring! But before you know it, the kids have cooked up their own ideas of what an opera should be. Vocabulary: (E) opera, soprano, bass, quartet, accomplish (I) scene, rhyme, costume, stage, prop(s).
* Maestro Martha - Bad guys Pablum and Weaselgraft have a plan to turn a charity concert into a heist by using the power of music. Very strange music. Can Martha turn down the volume on their evil scheming before it's too late? Vocabulary: (E) orchestra, symphony, conduct(or)(ing), percussion, composition (I) trumpet, string, maestro, gong, usher.
- KQED Kids: Mon, Jul 20, 2015 -- 10:30pm Remind me
- KQED Kids: Tue, Jul 21, 2015 -- 4:30am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Tue, Jul 21, 2015 -- 6:00am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Thu, Jul 23, 2015 -- 2:00pm Remind me
- KQED Kids: Sat, Jul 25, 2015 -- 10:30pm Remind me
- KQED Kids: Sun, Jul 26, 2015 -- 4:30am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Sun, Jul 26, 2015 -- 6:00am Remind me
Martha: Deadline Doggie/It's The Giant Pumpkin, Martha (#307H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha: Deadline Doggie - When Martha begins to sniff out leads for Carolina's paper, the news is not fit to print. Can Martha redeem herself before she puts the paper out of business? Vocabulary: (E) article, deadline, eavesdropped(ing), gossip(ing), private (I) type(ing), read(s)(ing), tip, paper, surprise.
* It's the Giant Pumpkin, Martha - With The Ronald Report as her new competition, Carolina needs stories, big stories, to keep her paper afloat. But then she finds a story that's stranger than she bargained for. Vocabulary: (E), source, exaggerate(d)(ing)(tions), (un)reliable, anonymous, retract(ed)(ing)(ion) (I) reporter, lie(s), record, ton, pounds.
TD's Magic/Scaredy Cat (#308H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* TD's Magic - TD has found the best birthday gift of all time for his cousin CD: He's going to put on a magic show at his party. He wants to really "wow" the crowd, so the bigger the trick, the better. But what happens when his magic gets out of control? Vocabulary: (E) feat, rational(ly), vanish, illusion, dubious (I) disappear, magic, appear, explanation, powers.
* Scaredy Cat - To escape a storm, the kids and dogs retreat into the Boxwood's house. TD, Alice, and Helen decide to tell spooky stories to pass the time. But as spooky things start happening in the house, they wonder if their stories might be a little too real. Vocabulary: (E) silhouette, unexpected, nightmare, phantom, ominous (I) scare(d)(y), dark(ness), windy, rainy, night(time).
Martha Acts Up/Ronald Is In (#309H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha Acts Up - Mrs. Boxwood offers Martha a part in Alice in Wonderland, and Martha is thrilled at her new chance to become a star of the stage. But when Martha finds out what she's cast as, she's horrified. Vocabulary: (E) character(s), motivat(e)(ation), portray(s) , psychology, instinct(ual) (I) part, actors, play, line(s), show. < br />* Ronald Is In - When Ronald finds a book on psychology, he becomes the expert on everyone's "problems." Is his cure worse than the complaint? Vocabulary: (E) attitude, diagnose(is)(ed)(ing), emulate(ing), mimic(ing) (I) mental, borrow, worried, used book(s), yogurt.
Return Of The Bookbots: The Case Of The Missing Words, Part One & Two (#405H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Return of the Bookbots: The Case of the Missing Words, Part One - The Bookbots are back and faced with a new nemesis: The Announcer. Armed with the power to bring nouns from books to life, the Announcer is wreaking havoc on Wagstaff City. Can our heroes utilize their semantic savvy to stifle this rampaging rapscallion? Vocabulary: (E) noun, remove, term, insert, announce(r). Return of the Bookbots: The Case of the Missing Words, Part Two - The Announcer is still at large and has put the city into grammatical peril. Fortunately, the Bookbots have discovered a secret weapon: adjectives. Equipped with this new linguistic leverage, our heroes may just be able to save their beloved city from their phonological foe. Vocabulary: (E) oath, adjective, define, modify, weightless.
Monkeyshines Martha/Dog Daze (#406H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Monkeyshines Martha - Helen's hefty schoolwork load leaves her with little time left to spend with Martha. At loose ends, Martha finds a friend in Professor Monkey, whose wacky inventions propel Martha into a world of new adventures. Vocabulary: (E) relie(f)(ve), genius, unwind, cherish, pressure. Dog Daze - When Carolina chastises Martha for her doggish mannerisms, Martha wishes Carolina could just see things from her point of view. That night, Carolina goes to sleep only to awake as...a dog! What will happen when she's forced to take on a furry, four-legged perspective? Vocabulary: (E) empathy, sympathy, characteristics, mannerisms, point of view.
Martha Runs The Store, Part 1 & Part 2 (#120H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha Runs the Store, Part 1 - Skits and Martha are feeling desperate while they wait in the broiling sun for Helen to finish shopping. Fed up, Skits decides to follow the cool air into the store, and Martha has to follow to get him out. What are they going to do now that they're stuck in the bathroom and the store is about to close?
* Martha Runs the Store, Part 2 - Helen can't find Martha and Skits anywhere. Little does she know, they're trapped inside the darkened department store, trying to find the exit . . . when they aren't distracted by the comfy beds, overflowing garbage cans, and automatic tennis-ball shooter. Will they find their way out before it's time to blow out Mom's birthday candles?
Eyes on the Skies/Camp Truman (#408H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
Eyes on the Skies - Astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson (Truman's #1 hero), is holding a seminar at the library. Truman becomes more and more certain that his activity partner T.D. is going to embarrass him in front of his idol. Does T.D. have what it takes to become a great scientist? Vocabulary: (E) telescope, seminar, identify, curious, astrophysicist, presentation. Camp Truman - Milo is super-exited to go to Camp Winnetka this summer - he's been packing since Christmas. But when Truman discovers that Camp Winnetka is closing, he takes it upon himself to cheer Milo up -- by showing him how miserable and grueling camp can be. Vocabulary: (E) activity, hike, forage, nature, grueling.
The Puppy Show/Never Forget to Remember (#503H) Duration: 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
The Puppy Show - TV producer Laslo Huckey knows just what people want to watch: puppies. But puppies doing what? He challenges Martha and the gang to come up with the perfect pitch for a puppy show. Vocabulary: (E) gist, brainstorm, concept, situation, introduce. Never Forget to Remember - It's the first day of spring and everybody wants to play their favorite outdoor game, Kickup! Only, where's the ball? In order to find it, the kids recount their memories of the last game. The problem is, everybody remembers things differently... Vocabulary: (E) certain, specific, sure, detail(s), previously.
- KQED Kids: Fri, Jul 31, 2015 -- 10:30pm Remind me