This animated series is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. It is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
Skits and Mr. Scruffles/Brave Truman (#302H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Skits and Mr. Scruffles - Everyone's too busy to play with Skits. While he's moping around the neighborhood, he meets Milo, a lonesome newcomer who just moved to Wagstaff City. The two bond, but when they tell their respective families about their new companion, no one believes they're real. Vocabulary: (E) occupied, companion, lonesome, disappoint, imaginary (I) bored, lonely, twice, play(ed)(ing), fun. < br>* Brave Truman - Truman is afraid to try out his new sled on the town's steepest, scariest, lumpiest hill. His friends are convinced that Truman is braver than he seems. Is he? Vocabulary: (E) panic, reaction, terrify(ed)(ing), phobia, reassur(e) (ing) (I) height(s), worr(y)(ied), dizzy, steep, tall.
- KQED Kids: Fri, Apr 29, 2016 -- 4:30am
- KQED Kids: Fri, Apr 29, 2016 -- 6:00am
- KQED Kids: Fri, Apr 29, 2016 -- 2:00pm
- KQED Kids: Mon, May 2, 2016 -- 6:00am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Tue, May 3, 2016 -- 2:00pm Remind me
- KQED Kids: Sat, May 7, 2016 -- 6:00am Remind me
- KQED Kids: Sun, May 8, 2016 -- 2:00pm Remind me
Martha In Charge/Truman And The Deep Blue Sea (#113H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha in Charge - Helen comes down with laryngitis, and she's sent to bed to recuperate. Martha decides to use her powers of speech to take care of the patient and find a cure. So why are a police car, fire engine, pizza delivery van, and chimney sweep truck all blocking the road in front of Helen's house? Vocabulary - (E) remedy, recover, recuperate, cure, medicine (I) hoarse, rest, well, sick(ness).
*Truman and the Deep Blue Sea - Truman can't believe his luck when Alice invites the gang to go whale watching . . . . until he realizes that he has to actually get on a boat. Which means he'll get seasick. But Truman's desire to see Balaenoptera musculus drives him to overcome his fear, with a little help from someone who knows the true meaning of perseverance! Vocabulary - (E) dread, nauseous, overcome, persevere, seasick (I) ill, quit, queasy, sick, shaky.
Oh, Noooo!/Bye, Martha (#110H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Oh, Noooo! - Granny Flo's Alphabet Soup is taking a licking from the competition, Oodles of Os. If Granny Flo goes out of business, how will Martha communicate? To increase sales, Helen, Martha, and T. D. set out to convince Granny Flo to advertise on the popular TV show, International Icon. Who will Granny Flo choose as a spokesperson? Vocabulary - (E) deceive(ing), honest(ly), dishonest, mislead(ing), popular (I) trust(ing), believe(able), fooling, right, wrong, ad(vertise)(ment).
* Bye, Martha - Nefarious con artist Weaselgraft hatches a scheme to kidnap Martha by pretending to be Martha's long-lost owner . . . from Poland. The family sniffs something suspicious, but why has Martha suddenly begun speaking Polish? Will they really have to say pozegnalny to Martha? Vocabulary - (E) deny, admit, claim, false, translate (I) switch(ed) (ing), mistake, trick, fraud.
- KQED Kids: Sat, Apr 30, 2016 -- 6:00am Remind me
Firedog Martha/Martha's Pickle (#108H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Firedog Martha - Martha wants to be a firehouse dog, just like her favorite book, Firehouse Freddie. But somehow all the things Freddie makes look so easy-climbing ladders, carrying hoses-aren't as easy for a real dog to do. Will Martha give up on her dream? Vocabulary - (E) reality, fantasy, fiction, imagine, tale, dispatcher (I) story, real, fact(s), pretend, actually.
* Martha's Pickle - Have giant alien pickles invaded Wagstaff City? Truman saw something just like it in a movie, but he never saw the ending. Now they're racing the clock to figure out how to defeat the aliens, before they're really in a pickle! Vocabulary - (E) bizarre, odd, normal, farfetched, rumor, unusual (I) weird, wacky, ordinary, strange(r), report.
Martha Walks The Dog/Martha's Got Talent (#111H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha Walks the Dog* (*book based) - There's a new dog in town and, boy, is he mean! He barks so much that nobody can sleep. Helen and Martha decide they have to do something. They try steak, squeaky toys, soothing music, but nothing calms the beast within. Then unexpectedly Ronald's parrot reveals the power of a few well-chosen words. Vocabulary - (E) annoy, beware, insult, pleasant, unpleasant (I) bully, mean, loud, tough, naughty.
* Martha's Got Talent - Weaselgraft just can't get Martha off his mind. He must have her. Maybe he can tempt her into his clutches with some well-placed praise and a lifetime supply of bones. He invites her to a talent show, and Martha tells the gang. TD, Truman, and Carolina are game, but they aren't the kind of game Weaselgraft was hoping to catch. Vocabulary - (E) coax, compliment, flatter, tempt, praise (I) tongue twister, care, friendly, practice, treat.
The Dog Who Came to Dinner/Martha Calling (#109H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* The Dog Who Came to Dinner - Helen agrees to take care of Mrs. Clusky's dog for a few days, and Martha can't wait to welcome their houseguest. To Martha's chagrin, Francois turns out to be a demanding and manipulative guest who knows just how to charm the humans. When Martha gets blamed for the teacup poodle's bad behavior, something has to be done, but what? Vocabulary - (E) jealous, visitor, privileges, envy, demanding (I) houseguest, welcome, rude, polite, manners.
* Martha Calling* (*book based) - When Martha wins a trip to the Come-On-Inn from a radio call-in show, there's only one problem: No dogs allowed. Helen and Martha put their heads together to come up with a solution. Enter Granny Martha. But when a "mad dog" eats Granny Martha, pandemonium ensues. Where's Martha and why is everybody running for the exits? Vocabulary - (E) allow(ed), forbid(den), permit, restrict, problem (I)guest, rules, invite, vacation.
- KQED Kids: Sun, May 1, 2016 -- 2:00pm Remind me
Martha The Hero Maker/Starstruck Martha (#112H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Martha the Hero Maker - Martha has an idea for a thrilling adventure story, so Truman, T.D., and Helen decide to draw it for her. Much to Martha's dismay, they all add their own special touches, including peanut butter, a ground squirrel, and the Incredible Exo-Skeleton-of-Wow. But when life imitates art, things get a little too exciting! Vocabulary - (E) thrill(ing), hero, villain, astonish, humongous (I) boring, exciting, adventure, incredible, amazing, dull.
* Starstruck Martha - Martha is thrilled when she hears Courageous Collie Carlo is coming to town. But when Martha unexpectedly reveals how uncourageous Carlo really is, she has to help him save his reputation or Carlo's TV career could be history. Vocabulary - (E) ecstatic, embarrass, enthusiastic, eager, reputation (I) fear, excited, glad, upset, fan.
The Martha Show, Part 1 & 2 (#301H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* The Martha Show, Part 1 - Martha has been offered a chance to host a children's TV show with her friends! The gang tries to agree on the perfect kid's show (1st of two parts).Vocabulary: (E) genre(s), drama(tic)(s), educational, merchandise, style, comed(y)(ies)(ic) (I) co-star, medical, program(s), watch, script.
* The Martha Show, Part 2 - Having your own kid's show is more complicated than Martha expected. Our talking dog comes up with a whale of a show. But is her new partner - or TV - ready for it? Vocabulary: (E)pilot, imaginative, suspense, depict(ing)(ion)(ed) (I) duo, viewers, children('s), pirate(s), whale.
Escape From Flea Island/No Dogs Allowed (#114H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Escape from Flea Island - Carolina is determined to outdo Tiffany Blatsky on the science project. She organizes an expedition with TD, Truman, and Martha to gather "exotic" plants. When the canoe capsizes, a storm blows up, and the sun starts to go down, they worry they may never get off Flea Island. Vocabulary - (E) cooperate, consensus, government, law, supervise (I) agree, lead, in charge, rule, team. * No Dogs Allowed - Tiffany wants to make Helen's treehouse into a girls' clubhouse. But who should be president? When the girls hold an election (Carolina vs. Tiffany, of course), both candidates aggressively court Helen's vote. Vocabulary - (E) campaign, debate, elect, influence, issue (I) choose, decide, lose, vote, win, club.