Each episode is a narrative built around a wacky troupe of characters, WordFriends, who are characters first and words second. WordFriends go on comic adventures and face challenges that can only be resolved with the right word. Sheep is a shy little girl who loves to pretend; Frog is the cautious brainiac and word "expert"; impetuous Duck is still learning his letters; Pig lives in the moment; Ant is a pragmatic bundle of energy; and Dog is a WordFriend's best friend. A key component of the show is word building, a unique moment when children witness a word "morph" into the thing it is. Word building reinforces the pre-reading concept that letters make words and that words have meaning.
Pig's Present/Tick Tock Space Clock (#115H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Pig's Present: It's Pig's birthday and his nephews, the Three Little Pigs, are making him a secret present. Although Pig promises not to peek, his curiosity about his present gets the better of him and wreaks havoc all over WordWorld. Will Pig ever learn to be patient?
* Tick Tock Space Clock: When a mysterious rocket lands in Word World, Duck pledges to help a robot track down a very important clock. He searches all over WordWorld, listening for the special sound that will lead the robot to the clock that will save his home planet.
- KQED Plus: Sat, Sep 6, 2014 -- 6:00am email reminder
Castles in the Sea/Get Your Coat (#116H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Castles in the Sea: While playing in the sand on the beach, Duck and Shark discover the perfect home for Shark: a sand castle! But why, oh why, does it disappear every night while Shark is sleeping? When the WordFriends try to hunt down the castle thief, they learn about tides and waves...from a singing Crab.
* Get Your Coat: Duck thinks Frog doesn't want to play in the rain because Duck accidentally broke Frog's boat. But the real reason is that Frog doesn't like the rain. Duck learns all about words that end with "oat" before finally coming across a word that will allow Frog to play outside in the rain: a coat!
- KQED Plus: Sat, Sep 13, 2014 -- 6:00am email reminder
Duck Saves Spider's Web/Caterpillar Gets A Home (#202H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Duck Saves Spider's Web - When Duck accidentally crashes into Spider's web and breaks it apart into letters, he has to go about finding the letters to fix it. But he doesn't know what letters are in the word 'web'! With Elephant's help, he learns that sometimes if you can sound out a word, you can figure out what letters you need to build it.
* Caterpillar Gets a Home - Duck makes a new friend on a windy, rainy day: Caterpillar. It soon becomes apparent that Caterpillar needs a home to protect her from the elements. Together she and Duck learn to sound out some words which might make suitable homes, such as bag, can and box. But which one will be just right?
- KQED Plus: Sat, Sep 20, 2014 -- 6:00am email reminder
Bugs to the Rescue/Sheep's First Bike Ride (#203H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Bugs to the Rescue - Ant builds Bear a hot-air balloon for her birthday, but Dog accidentally floats away in it! Ant elicits the help of his insect WordFriends Bug, Bee and Fly to rescue Dog and save the day.
* Sheep's First Bike Ride - Bear and Sheep both learn to build the word "bike," and Sheep learns how to ride one for the first time in her life. In both cases, it just takes some perseverance.
- KQED Plus: Sat, Sep 27, 2014 -- 6:00am email reminder
Duck's Hiccups/A.... A.... Choo! (#204H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Duck's Hiccups - When Duck drinks down a glass of water too quickly, he gets the hiccups for the first time ever! His WordFriends try every trick in the book to help him, but which cure will work?
*A...a...choo! - Pig is allergic to peaches! Too bad Sheep doesn't know that! When she brings Pig a big bag of peaches to make pies, Pig starts sneezing so much that he can't even tell Sheep what he really needs is a...a...apples. Sheep tries to guess what Pig needs, imagining a silly array of a-sounding words!
- KQED Plus: Sat, Oct 4, 2014 -- 6:00am email reminder
Get Well Soon Soup/Mmm-Mmm-Milk! (#205H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Get Well Soon Soup - When Ant gets sick, Pig tries to take care of him by making his special Get-Well-Soon Soup. It has all the letters in the alphabet in it, so Pig can build any word that Ant needs to feel better. Pig just has to figure out what that word is!
* Mmm-mmm-milk! - When Ant comes over to Pig's house to eat cookies, Pig tries to get him to drink some milk. But Ant doesn't like milk! Or so he thinks...
- KQED Plus: Sat, Oct 25, 2014 -- 6:00am email reminder