Each episode is a narrative built around a wacky troupe of characters, WordFriends, who are characters first and words second. WordFriends go on comic adventures and face challenges that can only be resolved with the right word. Sheep is a shy little girl who loves to pretend; Frog is the cautious brainiac and word "expert"; impetuous Duck is still learning his letters; Pig lives in the moment; Ant is a pragmatic bundle of energy; and Dog is a WordFriend's best friend. A key component of the show is word building, a unique moment when children witness a word "morph" into the thing it is. Word building reinforces the pre-reading concept that letters make words and that words have meaning.
Back On Track/The Rainbow Birthday Cake (#120H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Back on Track: While looking through his telescope, Frog notices that Kangaroo's mail train is headed straight for a broken track! He has to rely on BEAR and her tiny new tricycle to get him there to fix the track on time. And if the tricycle isn't tiny enough, Dog, Duck, and Ant and all his cousins climb on board to lend a hand. Will they make it in time?
* The Rainbow Birthday Cake: It is Frog's birthday, and Duck wants to make him a big, beautiful birthday cake frosted in the colors of the rainbow. Such a cake requires lots of cans of frosting, and Duck learns he can't just throw cans anywhere-they must be recycled. In WordWorld, recycling means using the letters in a discarded word to make other words, such as can-dle-which is just what Duck needs for Frog's cake!
- KQED Plus: Tue, Mar 11, 2014 -- 9:30am
Bit By Bit/Ride 'em Cowbear (#121H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Bit by Bit: It is Monkey's birthday, and a sick Frog entrusts Duck and Bug to take his present-a banana-to Monkey's birthday party for him. In their enthusiasm to get to the party, Duck and Bug accidentally break the banana into letters...and they don't know how to rebuild it! It's just too big a word. Fortunately Elephant knows a thing or two about big words, and teaches them to build the banana back, bit by bit, based on the three syllables in the word.
* Ride 'em CowBear: Pig, Dog and Duck are playing cowboys. Bear wants to join them, but gets frustrated when she learns she's not very good at rope tricks. Dog went let her sulk, though, and after much practice Bear is a rootin'-tootin' CowBear! And just in time-Pig and Duck have herded Cow into the mud!
- KQED Plus: Wed, Mar 12, 2014 -- 9:30am
Play Ball/M Is for Map (#122H) Duration: 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
* Play Ball! - The WordFriends play an exciting game of baseball, but Robot has never played before. With some practice, and a lot of encouragement from his WordFriends, Robot learns the game and turns into a slugging machine!
* M is for Map - After a fun day of adventuring through the jungle, Sheep and Bear discover they are lost - and it's almost dark! In their haste to get home before sunset, the WordFriends lose the letters to their map. They have to sound out and hunt down the letters in "map" - but with Adventure Sheep leading the way, nothing is ever easy!