Produced by KQED Public Television, this series is about Bay Area artists and arts organizations/ It is a weekly television show, an educational outreach program and a website. More than a showcase for art objects and the artists who make them, SPARK* takes the audience inside the creative process to witness the challenges, opportunities and rewards of making art.
In Respect of Nature (#408) Duration: 28:19 STEREO TVG
Our natural world provides lots of artistic inspiration. Spark visits artists who work in respect of nature.
* Photographer Roman Loranc has spent years documenting the Central Valley landscape with a loving eye.
* Li Huayi from the first generation of Chinese Cultural Revolution artists, reinvigorates Chinese landscape painting with his modern abstract vision.
* Bill Dan, also known as "The Rock Man of Crissy Field," balances rocks for all to contemplate.
* Then Gregory Gavin builds temporary creeks in public spaces called "Riveropolis."
Musical Instruments (#409) Duration: 28:21 STEREO TVG
Spark finds that every musician has a chosen instrument that takes them on their creative journey.
* Organ player Wil Blades has jammed with the famous and holds court in clubs and classrooms of the Bay Area.
* World famous Lyric Soprano Barbara Bonney is known for her Lieder performances but she also teaches master classes to regular people.
* Since 1981, the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra has been dedicated to reproducing historically informed performances on original instruments.
* Then, meet Stephen Kent, a didgeridoo player from the UK.