Pioneers In Aviation: The Race to the Moon
This 3-part series captures every significant event in aviation history, from the Wright Brothers' first flight at Kitty Hawk and the birth of the airlines to the triumphant Apollo moon landing. It uses archival footage and newsreels, along with commentary from aviation scholars, to profile industry pioneers William Boeing, Donald Douglas, Dutch Kindelberger and James McDonnell. Some of the newly rediscovered and never-before-seen footage includes General Jimmy Doolittle's legendary 1942 Tokyo raid, the famous 1924 "Round-the-World Flight," a rare glimpse inside the wartime factories at Boeing, Douglas and North American Aviation and President John F. Kennedy's eloquent 1963 speech which set forth the goals of the Mercury Space Program.
Pioneers In Aviation: The Race to the Moon Previous Broadcasts
The Race to the Moon (Episode #103)
KQED World: Fri, May 29, 2015 -- 6:00 AM
Documents the era of the 1950s and 1960s, as post-war America finds itself locked in an ideological struggle with the Soviet Union-an adversary whose philosophy promised the destruction of capitalism. In 1957, the Soviet launch of Sputnik suddenly shifted the Cold War battlefield to space and heralded the decade-long Race to the Moon. As did his predecessors, President Kennedy turns to the captains of his Aviation Industry-now in the autumn of their years-with the century's greatest aerospace challenge. Highlights include:
* Newly discovered footage documenting President Kennedy's 1963 visit to McDonnell Aircraft in St. Louis, in celebration of the Mercury Space Program.
* Emotionally charged footage of Astronaut John Glenn's triumphant return to McDonnell Aircraft, after orbiting the Earth- to share his achievement with "Mr. Mac" and his employees.
* Photographs of the unknown 19-year-old Marilyn Monroe, modeling the cabin features of the new Douglas DC-6.
* Boeing Test Pilot Tex Johnston's legendary barrel-roll of the "Dash-8 0"-prototype of the Boeing 707-over Lake Washington during the 1955 Seattle Gold Cup Races.
- KQED World: Fri, May 29, 2015 -- 12:00 PM