Ken Burns American Stories
PBS presents works from the Ken Burns library, including some of his early work. Each film includes a new introduction by the filmmaker, providing commentary and context for each subject. The programs have also been digitally re-mastered.
Ken Burns American Stories Previous Broadcasts
The Statue of Liberty (Episode #101)
KQED 9: Mon, Sep 27, 2010 -- 9:00 PM
This Academy Award-nominated documentary tells the unique story of the monument's creation, from her complicated construction in France to her arrival at New York's Bedloe's Island, later renamed Liberty Island. The program examines what this symbol of liberty means today to foreigners and Americans. The film combines historical material, film footage and interviews with figures such as former New York Governor Mario Cuomo, film director Milos Forman, authors James Baldwin and Jerzy Kosinski, Congresswoman Barbara Jordan, singer Ray Charles, playwright Arthur Miller and former ambassador Sol Linowitz. David McCullough narrates.
- KQED Life: Wed, Sep 29, 2010 -- 2:00 AM
- KQED Life: Tue, Sep 28, 2010 -- 8:00 PM
- KQED Channel 9: Tue, Sep 28, 2010 -- 3:00 AM
- KQED 9: Tue, Sep 28, 2010 -- 3:00 AM
- KQED Channel 9: Mon, Sep 27, 2010 -- 9:00 PM
The Shakers: Hands to Work, Hearts to God (Episode #112)
KQED 9: Mon, Sep 13, 2010 -- 9:01 PM
Only a handful of elderly Shakers remain alive today, carrying on the traditions of religious devotion that at one time embraced thousands of Americans in numerous self-supporting communities. This evocative film explores the cultural legacy highlighted by the personal accounts of the last nine surviving shakers. David McCullough narrates; Julie Harris, Paul Roebling and Olga Bellin are among the chorus of voices reading from the diaries, letters and journals of the Shakers. The plain yet emotional music of the Shakers has been recreated and arranged for this film from original inspirational songs. Shot at existing sites in New England and Kentucky, this film embodies the spiritual values of Shakers in their absorbing simple landscape.
- KQED Channel 9: Sat, Sep 18, 2010 -- 6:00 PM
- KQED 9: Sat, Sep 18, 2010 -- 6:00 PM
- KQED Life: Wed, Sep 15, 2010 -- 2:00 AM
- KQED Life: Tue, Sep 14, 2010 -- 8:00 PM
- KQED Channel 9: Tue, Sep 14, 2010 -- 3:00 AM
- KQED 9: Tue, Sep 14, 2010 -- 3:00 AM
- KQED Channel 9: Mon, Sep 13, 2010 -- 9:01 PM