The longest-running performing arts anthology on television continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
Broadway Musicals: A Jewish Legacy (#3806() Duration: 1:59:47 SRND51 TVPG
Why has the Broadway musical proven to be such fertile territory for Jewish artists of all kinds? From Broadway's golden age, names like Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern, the Gershwin's, Arthur Laurents, Jerome Robbins, Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim immediately come to mind. More recently, Broadway babies such as Stephen Schwartz, Marc Shaiman and Andrew Lippa represent a sampling of the Jewish talents who continue to leave their mark on musical theater. Filmmaker Michael Kantor focuses on this central question left largely unaddressed in his Emmy-winning Broadway: The American Musical, combining interviews with performance footage, including many of the rousing anthems and timeless ballads America has loved for a century.
- KQED Life: Sat, Jun 1, 2013 -- 5:00pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Sat, Jun 1, 2013 -- 5:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Sun, Jun 2, 2013 -- 7:00pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Sun, Jun 2, 2013 -- 7:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Mon, Jun 3, 2013 -- 1:00am email reminder
- KQED 9: Mon, Jun 3, 2013 -- 1:00am email reminder
- KQED 9: Mon, Jun 3, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Tue, Jun 4, 2013 -- 7:30pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Tue, Jun 4, 2013 -- 7:30pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Wed, Jun 5, 2013 -- 1:30am email reminder
- KQED 9: Wed, Jun 5, 2013 -- 1:30am email reminder
- KQED Life: Fri, Jun 7, 2013 -- 8:30pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Fri, Jun 7, 2013 -- 8:30pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Sat, Jun 8, 2013 -- 2:30am email reminder
- KQED 9: Sat, Jun 8, 2013 -- 2:30am email reminder
- KQED Plus: Sun, Jun 9, 2013 -- 8:30pm email reminder
- KQED Plus: Mon, Jun 10, 2013 -- 2:30am email reminder
- KQED Plus: Wed, Jun 12, 2013 -- 7:00pm email reminder
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jun 13, 2013 -- 1:00am email reminder
Paul Simon's Graceland Journey (#3807) Duration: 1:56:46 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: none)
Unbelievably enough, Paul Simon's Graceland album is now a quarter-century old. Ordinarily, if it was remembered solely for the songs it brought into the world, that would be enough for most pop records. But it was also a musical triumph, an experiment in cross-cultural collaboration that also proved to be commercially popular, selling 14 million albums worldwide and generating three Top 40 singles, winning Grammys for both "Album of the Year" and "Song of the Year" for its title track. It still receives universal acclaim and is regarded today as one of the most significant recordings of its time. That says a lot about the record, but doesn't tell the whole story. Much of the world of 1986 has changed, and key elements of Graceland's history have receded into the fog of time. Why was it initially so controversial and why did Simon face such vehement criticism at the time? In 2011, acclaimed filmmaker Joe Berlinger accompanied Simon on his return to South Africa to reunite and perform with several of the musicians involved in the original album, capturing Simon's unique homecoming journey as he reflects on the landmark events as well as looks to the future.
Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival 3 (#3515H) Duration: 1:56:46 SRND51 TVPG
Grammy Award-winning guitar superstar Eric Clapton has re-teamed with fellow "guitar gods" for a third Crossroads Guitar Festival in Chicago, America's Blues Capital. Shining a spotlight on the wide variety of guitar virtuosity, the gathering further expands the diverse range of musicianship in many musical genres, including blues, bluegrass, country, rhythm & blues and more, featuring performances by Jeff Beck, Robert Cray, Sheryl Crow, Vince Gill, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Johnny Lang, John Mayer, Steve Winwood, Ron Wood and more; Bill Murray is the host.
- KQED Plus: Sun, Jun 30, 2013 -- 9:00pm email reminder
Also on KQED.org this week ...
We Need You!
Volunteer during our current on-air radio fundraising drive. It's a great way to support KQED Radio with your time. You can really make a difference!
Enter the New "ImageMakers" Screening Room
Enjoy films from present and past seasons of KQED's short independent film series, divided into Animation, Comedy, Drama, and Suspense.