The longest-running performing arts anthology on television continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
Pavarotti: A Voice for the Ages (#3813B) Duration: 1:27:08 STEREO TVG
Like Enrico Caruso before him, Luciano Pavarotti extended his presence far beyond the limits of Italian opera. Quickly establishing his trademark rich sound as the greatest male operatic voice of the 20th century, he expanded his reach to stadium concerts and pop collaborations which brought him fame beyond measure. Audiences adored his larger than life personality, childlike charm, generous figure, and happy go lucky style. This program celebrates the 50th anniversary since his career debut in Amsterdam, Vienna, Zurich and finally London where he substituted for the ailing Giuseppe di Stefano as Rodolfo in La Boheme.
Even today, it is his powerful sound with its natural grace and brilliant color which still leads many to consider him the world's greatest voice. It is Pavarotti who brought opera to the masses and made football fans worldwide fall in love with "Nessun dorma." This program includes that hit and other beloved arias from La Boheme, Rigoletto and Aida; Neapolitan songs in arrangements by Henry Mancini including "Mamma" and "O Sole Mio"; favorite sacred songs like "Ave Maria" and "O Holy Night"; as well as popular duets with Bono, Sting and Eric Clapton.
Placido Domingo: My Favorite Roles (#3609B) Duration: 1:58:59 STEREO
Placido Domingo is not only one of the most popular and celebrated tenors of his generation, but his international career has also led him to his dual directorships of the Washington National Opera and the Los Angeles Opera. In this performance documentary, Domingo looks back and reflects on his favorite roles from opera houses around the world. The story of Domingo's roots in Spain is interwoven with his famous performance as Don Jose in "Carmen" at the Vienna Staatsoper. His memories about his childhood in Mexico inform his acclaimed performance of "El Gato Montes" from the LA Opera. We see him in some of his earliest roles singing "cielo e mar" from "Gioconda" in Madrid, as well as his debut in "Ernani" at Milan's La Scala. Other highlights: from the Metropolitan Opera, his striking performance in Verdi's "Luisa Miller;" excerpts from the Emmy-winning "Tosca" from Rome; and Domingo's star turns in "Simon Boccanegra," "Les Contes D'Hoffmann," "Samson et Dalilah," "I Pagliacci" in Zefirelli's film (La Scala) and his enduring signature role in Verdi's "Otello."
- KQED Life: Sun, Nov 9, 2014 -- 6:00pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Sun, Nov 9, 2014 -- 6:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Mon, Nov 10, 2014 -- 12:00am email reminder
- KQED 9: Mon, Nov 10, 2014 -- 12:00am email reminder
- KQED Life: Sat, Nov 15, 2014 -- 3:30pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Sat, Nov 15, 2014 -- 3:30pm email reminder
Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910() Duration: 1:29:47 SRND51 TVPG
Inspired by their sensational duet in Great Performances' "Tony Bennett Duets II" episode, the greatest living interpreter of the American songbook has recorded a new album with America's reigning pop diva of today. Teaming up for a concert from the stage of Rose Theater at New York City's Time Warner Center, the duo performs swinging selections from their latest collaboration.
- KQED Life: Sat, Nov 15, 2014 -- 8:00pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Sat, Nov 15, 2014 -- 8:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Sun, Nov 16, 2014 -- 2:00am email reminder
- KQED 9: Sun, Nov 16, 2014 -- 2:00am email reminder
- KQED Life: Sat, Nov 22, 2014 -- 6:30pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Sat, Nov 22, 2014 -- 6:30pm email reminder
- KQED Plus: Sun, Nov 23, 2014 -- 7:30pm email reminder
- KQED Plus: Mon, Nov 24, 2014 -- 1:30am email reminder
- KQED Life: Tue, Dec 9, 2014 -- 9:30pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Tue, Dec 9, 2014 -- 9:30pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Wed, Dec 10, 2014 -- 3:30am email reminder
- KQED 9: Wed, Dec 10, 2014 -- 3:30am email reminder
- KQED Plus: Wed, Dec 10, 2014 -- 7:00pm email reminder
- KQED Plus: Thu, Dec 11, 2014 -- 1:00am email reminder
Paul McCartney's Live Kisses (#3801H) Duration: 56:46 SRND51 TVG
At the forefront of the rock 'n roll revolution that changed popular music forever in his early career with The Beatles, Paul McCartney has continued to push boundaries for over 40 years as a solo artist, a member of his second group Wings, and an award-winning composer for classical and dance. His latest adventure is "Kisses on the Bottom," a collection of standards beloved to McCartney since childhood, along with two of his own new songs, "My Valentine" and "Only Our Hearts." Produced with the help of Grammy Award-winning producer Tommy LiPuma and Diana Krall and her band, "Kisses on the Bottom" is the first record in McCartney's historic oeuvre to feature him almost exclusively on vocals. GREAT PERFORMANCES joins McCartney for an intimate concert recorded at the historic Capitol Studios in Los Angeles, featuring performances of such standards as "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter," "It's Only a Paper Moon," "Always," "Bye Bye Blackbird" and more.
Magical Mystery Tour Revisited (#3803H) Duration: 56:16 STEREO TVPG
Produced at the peak of Beatlemania in 1967, "Magical Mystery Tour" is the least known of the various films starring The Beatles and was never theatrically released or nationally broadcast on US television, only receiving sporadic TV syndication in the 1980s. This documentary chronicles the behind-the-scenes story on the making of the film, and provides context for "the summer of love" era that set the scene for its production.
Cats (#4003) Duration: 1:56:46 SRND51 TVG
One of musical theater's biggest blockbusters returns to GP for an encore presentation. Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats reigned over an 18-year Broadway run and unending touring productions that continue to travel the globe. Based on T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, Webber's hit-filled stage version boasts musical highlights aplenty, including Elaine Paige's return to her original role as Grizabella, the faded "glamour cat" singing the show-stopping ballad "Memory."
- KQED 9: Fri, Nov 21, 2014 -- 9:00pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Sat, Nov 22, 2014 -- 3:00am email reminder
- KQED Life: Mon, Nov 24, 2014 -- 7:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Mon, Nov 24, 2014 -- 9:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Tue, Nov 25, 2014 -- 1:00am email reminder
- KQED Life: Tue, Nov 25, 2014 -- 3:00am email reminder
- KQED Plus: Sun, Dec 28, 2014 -- 7:00pm email reminder
- KQED Plus: Mon, Dec 29, 2014 -- 1:00am email reminder
Encores! Great Performances at the Met (#3912B) Duration: 1:59:00 SRND51 TVG
Barbra Streisand: Back to Brooklyn (#3812) Duration: 1:58:48 SRND51
- KQED Plus: Sun, Nov 30, 2014 -- 12:30pm email reminder
Rejoice with Itzhak Perlman and Cantor Yitzchak Meir Helfgot (#3816) Duration: 1:28:11 SRND51 TVG
Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (#3907() Duration: 1:26:46 STEREO TVG
Highlights from 1992's star-studded concert tribute to the American pop music icon at New York City's Madison Square Garden. Selling out 18,200 seats in a frantic, record-breaking 70 minutes, the concert gathered an amazing Who's Who of performers to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the enigmatic singer songwriter's groundbreaking debut album from 1962, Bob Dylan. Taking viewers from front row center to back stage, the special captures all the excitement of this historic, once-in-a lifetime concert as many of the greatest names in popular music-including June Carter Cash and Johnny Cash, Roseanne Cash, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Richie Havens, Chrissie Hynde, Kris Kristofferson, John Mellencamp, Willie Nelson, Tom Petty, Lou Reed, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, and more-pay homage to Dylan and the songs that made him a legend.