photo: courtesy of Rahoul Ghose/PBS
Watch a Preview
This series takes viewers on a journey high above the American landscape to reveal the country as never seen before. With host Yul Kwon ("Survivor: Cook Islands"), it travels through time, space and systems to reveal a nation of interdependent and intricately interwoven networks that feed and power the nation, produce millions of goods, transport people great distances and still come together to make America work. These networks all rely on vast, complex and precisely calibrated systems, yet most Americans have never had the chance to observe or understand them. Until now.
Electric Nation (#103H) Duration: 54:16 SRND51 TVG
Our modern electric power grid has been called the biggest and most complex machine in the world -- delivering electricity to over 300 million Americans over 200,000 miles of high tension transmission lines. But even though the grid touches almost every aspect of our lives, it's a system we know very little about. In this episode, Yul Kwon will travel around the country to understand its intricacies, its vulnerabilities and the remarkable ingenuity required to keep the electricity on every day of the year.
Food Machine (#101H) Duration: 54:16 SRND51 TVPG
Over the past century, an American industrial revolution has given rise to the biggest, most productive food machine the world has ever known. In this episode, host Yul Kwon explores how this machine feeds nearly 300 million Americans every day. He discovers engineering marvels we've created by putting nature to work and takes a look at the costs of our insatiable appetite on our health and environment. For the first time in human history, less than 2% of the population can feed the other 98%. How does this all work? Who are the men and women who keep us fed 365 days a year? Kwon embarks on a trip across the country to find out.
Nation on the Move (#102H) Duration: 54:16 SRND51 TVG
America is a nation of vast distances and dense urban clusters, woven together by 200,000 miles of railroads, 5000 airports and four million miles of roads. These massive, complex transportation systems combine to make Americans the most mobile people on earth, but much of this infrastructure, built in the 19th and 20th centuries, strains under the weight of our rapidly growing, constantly moving population. In this episode, host Yul Kwon journeys across the continent by air, road and rail. He ventures behind the scenes with the workers who get us where we need to go; he meets innovators creating ways to propel us farther and faster in years to come; and he uncovers the minor miracles and uphill battles involved in moving over 300 million Americans every day.
Made in the U.S.A. (#104H) Duration: 53:46 SRND51 TVG
This episode examines how American industry creates, whether it's a simple cardboard box, a sleek new car, a jumbo jet or a tiny silicon chip, and how supply and demand, manufacturing and assembly are interconnected.