Check, Please! Bay Area
- Watch Complete Episodes:
- at video.kqed.org
This series features guests and eateries as diverse the Bay Area itself. In each episode of the James Beard and Emmy Award-winning program, 3 local diners share their favorite spots and critique each others' choices. They visit each restaurant anonymously - the restaurants are not notified that Check, Please! reviewers are present. After trying each others' recommendations, the diners join host and moderator Leslie Sbrocco to discuss, dispute and celebrate their dining experiences with lively commentary.
Caffe La Scala, Lers Ros and 1300 On Fillmore (#707H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Caffe La Scala (Walnut Creek), Lers Ros (San Francisco) and 1300 on Fillmore (San Francisco) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED Life: Fri, Dec 2, 2016 -- 1:30am
- KQED 9: Fri, Dec 2, 2016 -- 1:30am
- KQED Life: Sat, Dec 3, 2016 -- 12:00pm
- KQED 9: Sat, Dec 3, 2016 -- 12:00pm
Bella Trattoria, Outerlands & Greens Restaurant (#711H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
San Francisco restaurants Bella Trattoria, Outerlands and Greens Restaurants are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Pompei's Grotto, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food, SPQR (#804H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Our first restaurant, Pompei's Grotto, is a family owned spot on Fisherman's Wharf's that's been serving up fresh seafood since 1946.
* Next, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food in Santa Clara makes homemade Southern comfort staples that satisfy heart and soul.
*Finally, combining a bustling San Francisco vibe with an intimate and cozy setting, SPQR delivers authentic, modern Italian cuisine and original Italian wine from small producers.
Roti Indian, Chop Bar & Park Tavern (#712H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Roti Indian Bistro, Chop Bar and Park Tavern are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Angkor Borei, Indigo, Farallon (#801H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first San Francisco restaurant, Angkor Borei, provides traditional Cambodian cuisine that has been satisfying customers for nearly thirty years.
* Next, Indigo's expansive wooden bar and open ambiance creates the perfect setting for the touch-of-Asian in the New American cuisine served there.
* Lastly housed in an historic building, Farallon invites all seafood lovers to dine in spectacularly creative, decorative surroundings.
Zare at Fly Trap, Barrio Fiesta, Flora (#802H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
You don't have to travel far for Persian influenced Mediterranean cuisine as you can find it right here in San Francisco at Zare at Fly Trap.
* And, anyone looking for a festive location to celebrate with friends and family should visit Milpitas where Barrio Fiesta specializes in Filipino cooking.
* Finally, for a great place to relax and admire the surroundings you can pop into the old flower depot building in Oakland where Flora serves up their signature cocktails.
Phnom Penh, Hunan Home's, Souk Savanh (#1118H) Duration: 23:26 STEREO TVG
In this show we're taking a menu-tour through Asia. For our first dining destination, we travel across the Bay Bridge to Oakland to enjoy the thrilling, contrasting tastes of Cambodia at Phnom Penh House. Next, it's a neighborhood spot in San Francisco's Chinatown where the sizzling dishes excite the palate at Hunan Home's Restaurant. Then, back to Oakland to dig into the bold and vibrant Thai/Laotian flavors at Souk Savanh.
- KQED Plus: Sat, Dec 10, 2016 -- 3:00pm Remind me
Marche Aux Fleurs, Peasant & The Pear, Copita.... (#1119H) Duration: 24:56 STEREO TVG
We're stepping outside the city to rediscover the Bay Area, starting in Marin for pastoral tranquility reminiscent of Provence at Marche aux Fleurs. Then it's a quick jaunt to Danville for creative rustic dishes at The Peasant & The Pear. Finally, we return to Marin, to Sausalito, where contemporary flavors from Mexico, a choice tequila selection and a party atmosphere can be found at Copita Tequileria y Comida.
- KQED Life: Sat, Dec 10, 2016 -- 6:30pm Remind me
Bocanova, Willi's Wine Bar, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus (#805H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Latin-inspired flavors thrill the palate at the Pan-American Grill, Bocanova, in Jack London Square.
* Next, small plates, a local handpicked winelist and worldly flavors abound at Willi's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa.
* Lastly, elegant and chic, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus serves lunch, afternoon tea and lots of bubbles under its landmark, stained-glass dome in San Francisco.
- KQED 9: Mon, Dec 12, 2016 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Thu, Dec 15, 2016 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Thu, Dec 15, 2016 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Fri, Dec 16, 2016 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Fri, Dec 16, 2016 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, Dec 18, 2016 -- 10:30am Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, Dec 18, 2016 -- 5:00pm Remind me
Hunan Home's Restaurant, Radius Restaurant and Cafe, Guerilla Cafe (#806H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* The destination this time is Chinatown for scintillating seasonings and sizzling satisfaction at Hunan Home's Restaurant.
* Then off to SOMA where Radius Restaurant and Cafe proudly serves up modern California Cuisine using only local and fresh ingredients from the Bay Area.
* Finally, hipster meets gourmet at the delicious Berkeley breakfast and brunch spot, Guerilla Cafe.
Aslam's Rasoi, Poesia, and encuentro cafe and wine bar (#807H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Rich and spicy, family recipes from North India and Pakistan are served up with smiles at Aslam's Rasoi, in San Francisco.
* Poetry readings meet southern Italian cuisine at our next eatery in an old Victorian at the Castro-based Poesia.
* Finally we cross the bay to Oakland, to find the contemporary, vegetarian spot, encuentro cafe and wine bar, for organic, locally-sourced plates and an extensive wine list.
Little Shin Shin, The Refuge and Canela Bistro and Wine Bar (#808H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A veteran Chinese restaurant in Oakland, Little Shin Shin Restaurant invites us to try their fresh and delicious Hunan, Sichuan, Mandarin, and Cantonese-style dishes.
* Next, the classically-trained chefs at The Refuge in San Carlos combine beer with traditionally prepared pastrami.
* Lastly, taste a little Madrid-in-San Francisco, at Canela Bistro and Wine Bar, where local ingredients blend with imported goodies from Spain.
Naschmarkt, Cafe Tiramisu and Wood Tavern (#809H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A little taste of Austria thrives in downtown Campbell at Naschmarkt Restaurant, where the Vienna-born chef lightens up schnitzels and spatzles with Californian ingredients.
* Next, Cafe Tiramisu in San Francisco's scenic Belden Place charms Italian aficionados with its authentic fare and al fresco, alleyway-ambiance.
* Heading east, Oakland's Wood Tavern is a College Avenue neighborhood hub that offers an American brasserie-inspired menu.
Live Sushi, Chavez Supermarket and Taqueria, and Bistro Vis a Vis (#811H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Cool but cozy, Live Sushi delivers fresh seafood and a creative spin to traditional Japanese cuisine. It's in the heart of the Excelsior District of San Francisco.
* Unpretentious Chavez Supermarket and Taqueria in Hayward is a quick stop for Mexican comfort food favorites - stop, and shop for groceries at the same time!
* Last, but not least, Greenbrae's hidden gem Bistro Vis a Vis presents Marin residents with a chance to enjoy elegant, sustainable and locally-sourced food without driving to the city.
- KQED 9: Tue, Dec 20, 2016 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Bacon Bacon, Plaj Restaurant, Evvia Estiatorio (#901H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
If you've jumped on the bacon bandwagon, be sure to catch a ride with Bacon Bacon food truck as it scampers around the Bay - we're positive you'll be in hog heaven! Plaj Restaurant in San Francisco serves up distinctive ingredients in an elegant ambiance that provides a truly Nordic experience. Lastly, savor the foods of Grecian gods at Evvia Estiatorio in Palo Alto, where Greek wine and cuisine transport diners to a seat at Zeus' table.
- KQED 9: Wed, Dec 21, 2016 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sat, Dec 24, 2016 -- 12:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, Dec 24, 2016 -- 12:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Mon, Dec 26, 2016 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Tue, Dec 27, 2016 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Life: Sat, Dec 31, 2016 -- 7:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, Dec 31, 2016 -- 7:00pm Remind me
Contigo, Smoke Berkeley and Paradiso (#902H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
At our first restaurant, the bright bold flavors of Catalan cooking are the pride and joy of tasty tapas spot Contigo in San Francisco. For Texas-style barbeque done right, we follow the blazing smoke trails over the bridge to Smoke Berkeley. Finally, San Leandro neighborhood gem Paradiso features fresh Mediterranean cuisine, along with a page-turning wine list.
- KQED 9: Fri, Dec 23, 2016 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Maykadeh, Little Chihuahua Mexican, Pican (#905H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
First, Persian accents and aromatic spices fill the air in the heart of San Francisco's North Beach at Maykadeh Restaurant. Next, we run south of the border - ok, maybe just south of Market, where an impressive salsa bar awaits at The Little Chihuahua Mexican Restaurant in San Francisco's Noe Valley. Finally, we head east to get a taste of New Orleans and the South with piquant plates and big bold bourbons at Pican, in Oakland.
Massimo's, Old Jerusalem Restaurant, Baker Street Bistro (#906H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
To start the show we head to Fremont and Massimo's for Italian dishes straight from Nona's cookbook. Then, it's off to San Francisco's Mission district for a taste of the Holy Land at a not so easy-to-spot eatery, Old Jerusalem Restaurant. Also in San Francisco, Francophiles unite where charming decor and perfect Parisian fare wow at Baker Street Bistro in Cow Hollow.
- KQED 9: Tue, Dec 27, 2016 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Senor Sisig, M.Y. China, Italian Colors Restaurant (#907H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first spot has crafted its crossover cuisine, dishing out Filipino-fusion at Senor Sisig, a San Francisco food truck . Next, in the heart of the Westfield Mall, find a feast for all of the senses, where noodles are thrown, scissored and served at M.Y. China in San Francisco. Heading east, Oakland's Italian Colors Restaurant is a family-friendly environment where guests can enjoy an authentic taste of Italy served up with a smile.
Capo's, Bistro Liaison and La Mar (#908H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Deep dish pizzas are king at Capo's in North Beach, where a retro Chicago theme inspires the menu and the decor. Next, a little slice of Paris awaits you in Berkeley at Bistro Liaison, where bouillabaisse and boeuf bourguignon are the creme de la creme. Finally, Peruvian spot La Mar on San Francisco's Embarcadero serves up sea-to-shore selections with a San Francisco twist.
- KQED 9: Fri, Dec 30, 2016 -- 1:00pm Remind me