Check, Please! Bay Area
- Watch Complete Episodes:
- at video.kqed.org
Check, Please! Bay Area features guests and eateries as diverse the Bay Area itself. In each episode of the James Beard and Emmy Award-winning program, three local diners share their favorite spots and critique each others' choices. They visit each restaurant anonymously - the restaurants are not notified that Check, Please! reviewers are present. After trying each others' recommendations, the diners join host and moderator Leslie Sbrocco to discuss, dispute and celebrate their dining experiences with lively commentary.
Helmand Palace, El Huarache Loco, Izzy's (#612H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Local diners enjoy the fragrant Afghani spices and hearty portions served at Helmand Palace in San Francisco; the Mexican food at El Huarache Loco, a unique dining spot found at the Alemany Farmers' Markets and at "Off the Grid"; and Izzy's Steaks and Chops, a San Francisco tradition for the past 25 years.
- KQED 9: Fri, Jul 31, 2015 -- 1:30am
Rivoli, The Chairman and Station House Cafe (#704H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
This week's show features favorite eateries which all specialize in serving fresh foods to their customers. For more than 18 years, Berkeley's classic Rivoli Restaurant has been providing diners with delicious seasonal California cuisine. Next, we chase down The Chairman Truck, a traveling eatery which serves savory Chinese food to long lines of hungry and excited customers. Finally, enjoy fresh, local, and perfectly prepared oysters, seafood, and produce inside or al fresco at The Station House Cafe, located on Highway One in Point Reyes.
Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine (#701H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine are the restaurants selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED 9: Fri, Jul 31, 2015 -- 8:30pm
- KQED 9: Sat, Aug 1, 2015 -- 2:30am
Chiaroscuro, Chef Chu's and Lanesplitter Pizza And (#703H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Chiaroscuro, Chef Chu's and Lanesplitter Pizza and Pub are the eateries selected by local diners. Will all three Bay Area diners agree on their favorites?
- KQED 9: Sat, Aug 1, 2015 -- 9:00am Remind me
Bay Wolf, Green Chile Kitchen and Back A Yard Caribbean-American Grill (#702H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Bay Wolf, Green Chile Kitchen and Back A Yard Caribbean-American Grill are the restaurants selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Ristorante Milano, Scolari's Good Eats and Fuse Box (#1002H) Duration: 26:03 STEREO TVG
Host Leslie Sbrocco and guests discuss their favorite Bay Area restaurants, featuring fresh Northern Italian fare, towering fork-and-knife burgers and Seoul food that meets soul food. Will the guests agree?
Mescolanza Restaurant, Basque Cultural Center, Alexander's Steakhouse (#401H) Duration: 26:51 STEREO TVG
Season 4 begins with an Italian spot that's been around for more than 20 years. It's easy to miss, so keep your eyes peeled for this cozy little place specializing in pasta and pizzetta. The next restaurant is housed in a large complex - not the place for romantic ambiance, but the food is traditional, priced right and so good. Finally, Wagyu beef and high end gourmet ingredients are the specialty at our last destination, so be prepared to open up your taste buds and your wallet for that something special!
- KQED 9: Mon, Aug 3, 2015 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Thu, Aug 13, 2015 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Thu, Aug 13, 2015 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Fri, Aug 14, 2015 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Fri, Aug 14, 2015 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, Aug 30, 2015 -- 10:30am Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, Aug 30, 2015 -- 5:00pm Remind me
Borobudur Restaurant, Alegria's, Poggio (#404H) Duration: 26:21 STEREO TVG
Indonesian food starts the show at Borobudur Restaurant. Then traditional Spanish cuisine at Alegria's. Finally we visit Poggio for an Italian dining experience.
Caffe La Scala, Lers Ros and 1300 On Fillmore (#707H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Caffe La Scala (Walnut Creek), Lers Ros (San Francisco) and 1300 on Fillmore (San Francisco) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Indian Palace, Thanh Long, Oliveto Cafe and Restaurant (#405H) Duration: 27:16 STEREO TVG
First Indian Palace delivers traditional recipes in an unlikely location, followed by crab, crab and more crab at Thanh Long. Then it's Italian elegance served up at Oliveto Cafe and Restaurant.
- KQED 9: Thu, Aug 6, 2015 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Hayes Street Grill, Mama's On Washington Square, (#408H) Duration: 26:22 STEREO TVG
First, we take a stop at Hayes Street Grill, a local institution that stands on its reputation for the best and freshest fish around. Then, we cozy up to a little family-run spot called Mama's on Washington Square where they serve up a menu with fresh waffles and pancakes for breakfast, brunch and lunch. Sahn Maru Korean BBQ offers more than just barbecue. Its traditional Korean fare comes with warm, family-friendly service and plenty of tasty banchan (small side dishes).
Bella Trattoria, Outerlands & Greens Restaurant (#711H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
San Francisco restaurants Bella Trattoria, Outerlands and Greens Restaurants are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Roti Indian, Chop Bar & Park Tavern (#712H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Roti Indian Bistro, Chop Bar and Park Tavern are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Zeni Ethiopian, Quinn's Lighthouse, Aquerello (#406H) Duration: 27:26 STEREO TVG
The unexpected unites the three restaurants this week. Zeni Ethiopian Restaurant's surprising location makes it a "find". Flying peanuts hitting the floor at Quinn's Lighthouse Restaurant & Pub make a casual statement while Aquerello's historical location support the quiet elegance of the old church's surroundings.
- KQED 9: Mon, Aug 17, 2015 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Pompei's Grotto, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food, SPQR (#804H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Our first restaurant, Pompei's Grotto, is a family owned spot on Fisherman's Wharf's that's been serving up fresh seafood since 1946.
* Next, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food in Santa Clara makes homemade Southern comfort staples that satisfy heart and soul.
*Finally, combining a bustling San Francisco vibe with an intimate and cozy setting, SPQR delivers authentic, modern Italian cuisine and original Italian wine from small producers.
Bocanova, Willi's Wine Bar, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus (#805H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Latin-inspired flavors thrill the palate at the Pan-American Grill, Bocanova, in Jack London Square.
* Next, small plates, a local handpicked winelist and worldly flavors abound at Willi's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa.
* Lastly, elegant and chic, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus serves lunch, afternoon tea and lots of bubbles under its landmark, stained-glass dome in San Francisco.
Zin Restaurant & Wine Bar, Turtle Tower and Copita Tequileria y Comida (#812H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* We head north to wine country for our first stop - to Healdsburg's Zin Restaurant & Wine Bar, where local, homegrown and house-made is the mantra.
* Then back to San Francisco, where a Vietnamese family simmers tasty broth for their Northern-style pho at Turtle Tower.
* Finally we cross the Bay to Sausalito and Copita Tequileria y Comida for authentic, traditional Mexican fare, tequila and a party atmosphere.
Little Shin Shin, The Refuge and Canela Bistro and Wine Bar (#808H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A veteran Chinese restaurant in Oakland, Little Shin Shin Restaurant invites us to try their fresh and delicious Hunan, Sichuan, Mandarin, and Cantonese-style dishes.
* Next, the classically-trained chefs at The Refuge in San Carlos combine beer with traditionally prepared pastrami.
* Lastly, taste a little Madrid-in-San Francisco, at Canela Bistro and Wine Bar, where local ingredients blend with imported goodies from Spain.
Naschmarkt, Cafe Tiramisu and Wood Tavern (#809H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A little taste of Austria thrives in downtown Campbell at Naschmarkt Restaurant, where the Vienna-born chef lightens up schnitzels and spatzles with Californian ingredients.
* Next, Cafe Tiramisu in San Francisco's scenic Belden Place charms Italian aficionados with its authentic fare and al fresco, alleyway-ambiance.
* Heading east, Oakland's Wood Tavern is a College Avenue neighborhood hub that offers an American brasserie-inspired menu.
HRD Smokin' Grill, Buddy's Bites and Brews, and Metro Lafayette (#810H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Bold Korean ingredients are skillfully blended in North Beach at HRD Smokin' Grill to make an harmonious fusion of flavors.
* Hayward gets a taste of the beach at Buddy's Bites and Brews, where beers, cocktails and seafood support a laid-back lifestyle.
* Last up, offering the largest patio in the East Bay, and a sophisticated big-city menu in the heart of suburbia, the elegantly-casual Metro Lafayette delivers!
Bacon Bacon, Plaj Restaurant, Evvia Estiatorio (#901H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
If you've jumped on the bacon bandwagon, be sure to catch a ride with Bacon Bacon food truck as it scampers around the Bay - we're positive you'll be in hog heaven! Plaj Restaurant in San Francisco serves up distinctive ingredients in an elegant ambiance that provides a truly Nordic experience. Lastly, savor the foods of Grecian gods at Evvia Estiatorio in Palo Alto, where Greek wine and cuisine transport diners to a seat at Zeus' table.
Contigo, Smoke Berkeley and Paradiso (#902H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
At our first restaurant, the bright bold flavors of Catalan cooking are the pride and joy of tasty tapas spot Contigo in San Francisco. For Texas-style barbeque done right, we follow the blazing smoke trails over the bridge to Smoke Berkeley. Finally, San Leandro neighborhood gem Paradiso features fresh Mediterranean cuisine, along with a page-turning wine list.
Perbacco, Federicos Tapas & Wine Bar, Old Skool (#903H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Exquisitely executed Milanese specialties shine at Perbacco in San Francisco's Financial district. Next, family-owned Federicos Tapas & Wine Bar in Union City offers savory small plates from around the globe, replete with colorful Venezuelan vim and vigor. Finally, San Francisco's Old Skool Cafe puts a progressive and philanthropic spin on classic supper club dining.
Paulie's Pickling, Zut! On Fourth, Marin Sun (#904H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first spot, Paulie's Pickling, has perfected its pickling performance with acidic-centric servings at a petite San Francisco location. Next, California and Mediterranean cuisine merge at eclectic East Bay eatery Zut! on Fourth in Berkeley. Lastly, we head up north to Point Reyes and Marin Sun Farms Butcher Shop & Restaurant for the ultimate in farm-to-fork feasting.
Maykadeh, Little Chihuahua Mexican, Pican (#905H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
First, Persian accents and aromatic spices fill the air in the heart of San Francisco's North Beach at Maykadeh Restaurant. Next, we run south of the border - ok, maybe just south of Market, where an impressive salsa bar awaits at The Little Chihuahua Mexican Restaurant in San Francisco's Noe Valley. Finally, we head east to get a taste of New Orleans and the South with piquant plates and big bold bourbons at Pican, in Oakland.
Angkor Borei, Indigo, Farallon (#801H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first San Francisco restaurant, Angkor Borei, provides traditional Cambodian cuisine that has been satisfying customers for nearly thirty years.
* Next, Indigo's expansive wooden bar and open ambiance creates the perfect setting for the touch-of-Asian in the New American cuisine served there.
* Lastly housed in an historic building, Farallon invites all seafood lovers to dine in spectacularly creative, decorative surroundings.
Massimo's, Old Jerusalem Restaurant, Baker Street Bistro (#906H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
To start the show we head to Fremont and Massimo's for Italian dishes straight from Nona's cookbook. Then, it's off to San Francisco's Mission district for a taste of the Holy Land at a not so easy-to-spot eatery, Old Jerusalem Restaurant. Also in San Francisco, Francophiles unite where charming decor and perfect Parisian fare wow at Baker Street Bistro in Cow Hollow.
Senor Sisig, M.Y. China, Italian Colors Restaurant (#907H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first spot has crafted its crossover cuisine, dishing out Filipino-fusion at Senor Sisig, a San Francisco food truck . Next, in the heart of the Westfield Mall, find a feast for all of the senses, where noodles are thrown, scissored and served at M.Y. China in San Francisco. Heading east, Oakland's Italian Colors Restaurant is a family-friendly environment where guests can enjoy an authentic taste of Italy served up with a smile.
Capo's, Bistro Liaison and La Mar (#908H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Deep dish pizzas are king at Capo's in North Beach, where a retro Chicago theme inspires the menu and the decor. Next, a little slice of Paris awaits you in Berkeley at Bistro Liaison, where bouillabaisse and boeuf bourguignon are the creme de la creme. Finally, Peruvian spot La Mar on San Francisco's Embarcadero serves up sea-to-shore selections with a San Francisco twist.
Pinole Creek Cafe, Shanghai House and Murray Circle Restaurant (#909H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
In an 1890s' Victorian home, Pinole Creek Cafe offers diners hearty American comfort food with a Eurasian flair. Next, Shanghai House in San Francisco is where diners come for classic Chinese cooking, such as the chicken wings, and stay for xiao long bao! Last, but not least, jaw-dropping views of the Bay enhance the mood at Murray Circle Restaurant, Cavalo Point, an elegant sanctuary with a sophisticated Californian menu and enormous wine list.
Lanna Thai, 20 Spot and Chalet Ticino (#910H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
We visit the East Bay for a fiery taste of Southern Thailand with some modern twists at Lanna Thai in Livermore. In San Francisco, a stop at hipster-chic joint 20 Spot features a selective wine list and a small but satisfying sample of simply-cooked dishes. Lastly, we venture to the peninsula to and Chalet Ticino in Foster City for Swiss-Italian gastronomy straight from the heart of the Alps.
Pintxo Pote, Red Hill Station and Osmanthus (#1003H) Duration: 26:16 STEREO TVG
Traditional Basque cooking at Pintxo Pote, ultra-fresh seafood at Red Hill Station and Osmanthus' focus on Japanese, South-Asian flavors. Leslie Sbracco hosts as local diners share their favorite Bay Area eateries.
Zare at Fly Trap, Barrio Fiesta, Flora (#802H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
You don't have to travel far for Persian influenced Mediterranean cuisine as you can find it right here in San Francisco at Zare at Fly Trap.
* And, anyone looking for a festive location to celebrate with friends and family should visit Milpitas where Barrio Fiesta specializes in Filipino cooking.
* Finally, for a great place to relax and admire the surroundings you can pop into the old flower depot building in Oakland where Flora serves up their signature cocktails.
Hana Japanese Restaurant, Cocotte and Sakoon (#911H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
We start in Rohnert Park at Hana Japanese Restaurant for a superb sushi experience and a sock-it-to-'ya sake menu! Next, c'est si bon brasserie Cocotte in San Francisco showcases locally-sourced ingredients for its rustic rotisserie recipes and namesake dish. Lastly, we visit Sakoon in Mountain View, where traditional Indian cuisine is delivered in a modern presentation with a cosmopolitan vibe.
Luka's Taproom & Lounge, King of Falafel and La Costanera Restaurant (#912H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
We start in Oakland at Luka's Taproom and Lounge with its eclectic menu, extensive bar and spacious dance floor. Next, San Francisco's King of Falafel has been offering diners a taste of a Middle Eastern classic for more than 40 years. Lastly, we head to Montara for contemporary Peruvian cuisine served with a side of ocean-front views, at La Costanera Restaurant.
Dragon Rouge Restaurant, Marnee Thai and Butterfly Restaurant (#913H) Duration: 25:11 STEREO TVG
Revisit three Asian-themed restaurants from the Check, Please! Bay Area archives: Ristorante Ideale, La Mediterranee and La Ciccia.
Ristorante Ideale, La Mediterranee and La Ciccia (#914H) Duration: 25:49 STEREO TVG
Revisit three Mediterranean-themed restaurants from the Check, Please! Bay Area archives: Ristorante Ideale, La Mediterranee and La Ciccia.
The Grubstake, Turk and Larkin Deli and Tanguito-Argentinean Grill & Empanadas (#915H) Duration: 26:55 STEREO TVG
Revisit three Mom 'n' Pop restaurants from the Check, Please! archives: The Grubstake, Turk and Larkin Deli, and Tanguito-Argentinean Grill & Empanadas.
OI-C Bowl Chinese Kitchen, Los Moles and Hotel Mac Restaurant (#1004H) Duration: 25:51 STEREO TVG
From Chinese and puebla-style to classic comfort food, this week's guests invite Bay Area diners to Oi-C Bowl Chinese Kitchen, Los Moles and Hotel Mac Restaurant. Will they agree on their favorite eateries? Leslie Sbracco hosts.
Miller's East Coast West Delicatessen, Picante, Da Flora (#203H) Duration: 26:13 STEREO TVG
Authentic ingredients flown in from New York, make this delicatessen a special find; while flavors cultivated from a love affair with Mexico are the inspiration at our next stop. And finally the Veneto region of Italy is the focus, with just a dab of Hungarian.
The Front Porch, Memphis Minnie's Barbeque Joint and Auntie April's Chicken, Waffles & Soul Food (#916H) Duration: 26:52 STEREO TVG
Revisit three Southern soul food restaurants from the Check, Please! Bay Area archives: The Front Porch, Memphis Minnie's Barbeque Joint and Auntie April's Chicken, Waffles & Soul Food.
- KQED 9: Mon, Sep 21, 2015 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Cosecha, Bull Valley Roadhouse and Michael Warring (#1001H) Duration: 26:03 STEREO TVG
Made-from-scratch Mexican dishes at Cosecha, Bull Valley Roadhouse's comfort food and Michael Warring's molecular cuisine. Will the Bay Area diners agree on their favorite local spots? Leslie Sbracco hosts.
- KQED 9: Tue, Sep 22, 2015 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Episode #1005H Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
- KQED 9: Thu, Sep 24, 2015 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Fri, Sep 25, 2015 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Fri, Sep 25, 2015 -- 8:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, Sep 26, 2015 -- 2:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, Sep 26, 2015 -- 12:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, Sep 26, 2015 -- 7:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, Sep 27, 2015 -- 1:00am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, Sep 27, 2015 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Dona Thomas, Amber India, Scala's Bistro (#209H) Duration: 27:00 STEREO TVG
Fresh, seasonal ingredients are transformed into Mexican food at our first restaurant, a casual place for all. The second stop is northern Indian. This restaurant has white tablecloths and stellar service as well as great flavors and wonderful bread. The third place has dramatic architectural elements and walls adorned with murals. The bar scene is hip and the northern Italian food keeps customers satisfied.
Zatar, China Village Restaurant and Walzwerk (#1010H) Duration: 26:01 STEREO TVG
Host Leslie Sbracco and guests discuss the special Middle-Eastern plates ate Zatar in Berkeley, the Szechwan-inspired China Village Restaurant in Albany and Walzwerk, a German eatery in San Francisco. Will they agree?
- KQED 9: Mon, Sep 28, 2015 -- 1:00pm Remind me
La Foret, Vega and Basque Cultural Center (#1011H) Duration: 24:43 STEREO TVG
Host Leslie Sbracco and guests discuss French culinary classics at La Foret in San Jose, VEGA's homemade pizzas and pastas in San Francisco and all things Basque in South San Francisco at the Basque Cultural Center. Will they agree?
- KQED 9: Tue, Sep 29, 2015 -- 1:00pm Remind me