Check, Please! Bay Area
- Watch Complete Episodes:
- at video.kqed.org
Find a new restaurant or rediscover an old favorite with KQED's award-winning local food program. Each week, three guests join host Leslie Sbrocco for a lively discussion about their favorite Bay Area restaurants, making for a delicious half hour.
Chez Spencer, Broken Record & Marnee Thai (#505H) Duration: 26:49 STEREO TVG
Walk through the gates of Chez Spencer Restaurant and Bar into France, and leave San Francisco behind at this perfect romantic getaway. The next stop is a funky bar in the middle of nowhere - head for the back room of Broken Record, a cash-only place where the pub grub can stand alone and stand proud. And, reliable, authentic family-style Thai food is found at Marnee Thai Restaurant. From dish to dish, visit to visit, year to year, the magnet is the food here.
- KQED 9: Mon, Dec 9, 2013 -- 1:00pm
- KQED 9: Sat, Dec 14, 2013 -- 9:00am email reminder
Incontro Ristorante, Aunti April's & Butterfly (#506H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Bay area residents profile and review Incontro Ristorante, Aunti April's and Butterfly restaurants.
La Ciccia, Sushi Groove & Babalou's (#507H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Homey comfort, a warm welcome and pungent, lively flavors contrast with those of the Italian mainland at a Sardinian spot called La Ciccia. Then, there's Sushi Groove - a little edgy, with music and food to match - it's not your run-of-the-mill sushi place. Finally, Babalou's Mediterranean Restaurant doesn't take itself too seriously, unless you talk about the traditional Mediterranean food.
Zeni Ethiopian, Quinn's Lighthouse, Aquerello (#406H) Duration: 27:26 STEREO TVG
The unexpected unites the three restaurants this week. Zeni Ethiopian Restaurant's surprising location makes it a "find". Flying peanuts hitting the floor at Quinn's Lighthouse Restaurant & Pub make a casual statement while Aquerello's historical location support the quiet elegance of the old church's surroundings.
All Spice, Sorella Di Zza's & Hillstone (#705H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
We follow the full-bodied aromas wafting around San Mateo to All Spice, a hidden gem serving tantalizing Indian fusion dishes. Next, Oakland's family friendly Sorella di Zza's cooks up authentic Italian recipes that owner Regina's Grandma used to make. Finally, we end the show just off San Francisco's Embarcadero at Hillstone where the food is plentiful and the service shines.
Source, Morning Due Cafe and Mua (#708H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Source (San Francisco), Morning Due Cafe (San Francisco) and Mua (Oakland) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED 9: Sat, Dec 14, 2013 -- 7:00pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Sun, Dec 15, 2013 -- 1:00am email reminder
- KQED 9: Wed, Jan 1, 2014 -- 10:30am email reminder
- KQED Plus: Sun, Jan 5, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Sun, Jan 12, 2014 -- 5:00pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Fri, Jan 24, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Sat, Jan 25, 2014 -- 6:30pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Sun, Jan 26, 2014 -- 10:30am email reminder
- KQED Life: Sun, Jan 26, 2014 -- 5:00pm email reminder
El Metate, Creola Bistro & Benjarong (#508H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Mexican food just like our guest's grandmother used to make can be found at El Metate Restaurant.
And CreoLa Bistro is a quaint place with all things Cajun and Creole and flavors from Louisiana. < br />Finally, for colorful Thai food served up in a calm, spa-like atmosphere go to Benjarong Thai Cuisine.
Addis, Woodhouse Fish Co., Panama Hotel & Restaura (#509H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Using your fingers and sharing makes for a perfect meal at Addis Ethiopian Restaurant. At Woodhouse Fish Company you can navigate through the crab-shack fare to find both traditional and innovative seafood dishes. Lastly, you'll find the little bed and breakfast place called the Panama Hotel and Restaurant tucked away in a residential area serving up Californian cuisine with a twist.
Sichuan Fortune House, Manor , L'ardoise Bistro (#510H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Authentic, traditional Sichuan cooking shines at Sichuan Fortune House. Next, a humble spot called Manor Coffee Shop is caught in a time capsule and proud to call itself a diner. And lastly, an old-school, neighborhood French bistro, perfect for a dreamy, heart-warming meal is known as L'Ardoise Bistro.
The Old Clam House, Gialina, Mustards Grill (#407H) Duration: 26:03 STEREO TVG
A turn of the century building has housed The Old Clam House for over 100 years and its still serving some of the same fare. In contrast, Gialina has only been around for three years and delivers a contemporary menu. American food traditions continue at Mustards Grill, which celebrated its 25th birthday in 2008.
Le Charm French Bistro, Vung Tau Restaurant, Nopa (#308H) Duration: 27:25 STEREO TVG
Our first guest chooses elegant French food in an eatery south of Market. Then, with a plethora of Vietnamese restaurants in the area, our next guest chooses one as his favorite. Finally, guest number 3 hits a popular spot with a sustainable menu that stays open late.
- KQED Life: Sun, Dec 22, 2013 -- 5:00pm email reminder
Pagolac, Della Santina & Zazie (#511H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Pagolac: Mom's Vietnamese Kitchen is an elegant hole-in-the-wall where the food doesn't rely on presentation... just flavor. Next, a gated entry and pathway lead to Della Santina's Trattoria, with its open air patio, perfect for the Italian menu built of family recipes from Lucca. Finally, it's easy to drive past Zazie Restaurant, a hidden French Bistro with a cozy atmosphere and updated French menu.
Tropisueno, Bobo's and Pisces California (#512H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Tropisueno Mexican Kitchen is a great place to congregate with friends for top-shelf Margaritas and hearty Mexican food. Next, a place decorated with an amusing touch of the circus, although the real spectacle is the special dry-aged steak at Bobo's. Finally, a little upscale neighborhood place with good food at reasonable prices at Pisces California Cuisine.
Nettie's Crab Shack, Dragon Rouge, Walzwerk (#602H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
This week's guests reveal their favorite Bay Area restaurants. San Francisco's own delicacy, Dungeness crab, shines at Nettie's Crab Shack, diners look to Dragon Rouge for fresh and flavorful Vietnamese, and hearty East German fare tops the menu at Walzwerk. Leslie Sbrocco hosts.
- KQED 9: Wed, Dec 25, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Elite Cafe, Grand Oaks, Risibisi (#603H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
This week's guests invite Bay Area diners to sample Cajun classics and more from The Elite Cafe, share tasty bites while watching the game at Grand Oaks Restaurant and Sports Lounge, and savor earthy Italian food at Risibisi Italian Restaurant. Leslie Sbrocco hosts.
- KQED 9: Thu, Dec 26, 2013 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Memo's Mexican Cuisine, Souls Restaurant & Flea (#504H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Perfectly executed family recipes from North-Central Mexico and a house specialty of Chicken Pipian make Memo's Mexican Cuisine a great spot. And, the community spirit at a church-run spot adds another level of enjoyment at Souls Restaurant, where soul food is prepared fresh every day by members of the neighborhood. Finally, flavorful, fun, sustainable cuisine bought locally to make signature comfort foods and devilish desserts are at Flea Street Cafe.
Mescolanza Restaurant, Basque Cultural Center, Alexander's Steakhouse (#401H) Duration: 26:51 STEREO TVG
Season 4 begins with an Italian spot that's been around for more than 20 years. It's easy to miss, so keep your eyes peeled for this cozy little place specializing in pasta and pizzetta. The next restaurant is housed in a large complex - not the place for romantic ambiance, but the food is traditional, priced right and so good. Finally, Wagyu beef and high end gourmet ingredients are the specialty at our last destination, so be prepared to open up your taste buds and your wallet for that something special!
- KQED 9: Sat, Dec 28, 2013 -- 9:00am email reminder
Phnom Penh House, Pho VI Hoa and Grand Cafe (#706H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Phnom Penh House (Oakland), Pho Vi Hoa (Los Altos) and Grand Cafe (San Francisco) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Stella Alpina Osteria, Bette's Oceanview Diner, Chou Chou (#306H) Duration: 26:08 STEREO TVG
Fresh, local, Northern Italian-flavors mark this subterranean osteria as our first stop. Next, a diner that's been serving breakfast and lunch for more than 20 years. Finally, we cross the Atlantic again for a visit to a French bistro with a host brimming with personality.
- KQED Life: Sun, Dec 29, 2013 -- 5:00pm email reminder
Caffe La Scala, Lers Ros and 1300 On Fillmore (#707H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Caffe La Scala (Walnut Creek), Lers Ros (San Francisco) and 1300 on Fillmore (San Francisco) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Cafe Borrone, Wexler's and Big 4 Restaurant (#709H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Cafe Borrone (Menlo Park), Wexler's (San Francisco) and Big 4 Restaurant (San Francisco) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Salute E Vita Ristorante, Lolo Restaurant and Le G (#710H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Salute e Vita Ristorante (Richmond), Lolo Restaurant (San Francisco) and Le Garage (Sausalito) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Bella Trattoria, Outerlands & Greens Restaurant (#711H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
San Francisco restaurants Bella Trattoria, Outerlands and Greens Restaurants are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Roti Indian, Chop Bar & Park Tavern (#712H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Roti Indian Bistro, Chop Bar and Park Tavern are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Maverick, Izakaya Yuzuki, Souk Savanh (#803H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* For an elegant twist on comfort food, good wine and hospitality we go to Maverick in San Francisco.
* We stay in the City and visit Izakaya Yuzuki, a sake house with fine Japanese food made from the freshest of local and imported ingredients.
* Lastly, Souk Savanh's calm gentle vibe and bold Lao and Thai flavors are a hidden gem in Oakland.
Pompei's Grotto, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food, SPQR (#804H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Our first restaurant, Pompei's Grotto, is a family owned spot on Fisherman's Wharf's that's been serving up fresh seafood since 1946.
* Next, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food in Santa Clara makes homemade Southern comfort staples that satisfy heart and soul.
*Finally, combining a bustling San Francisco vibe with an intimate and cozy setting, SPQR delivers authentic, modern Italian cuisine and original Italian wine from small producers.
Bocanova, Willi's Wine Bar, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus (#805H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Latin-inspired flavors thrill the palate at the Pan-American Grill, Bocanova, in Jack London Square.
* Next, small plates, a local handpicked winelist and worldly flavors abound at Willi's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa.
* Lastly, elegant and chic, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus serves lunch, afternoon tea and lots of bubbles under its landmark, stained-glass dome in San Francisco.
- KQED 9: Wed, Jan 1, 2014 -- 2:00pm email reminder
Hunan Home's Restaurant, Radius Restaurant and Cafe, Guerilla Cafe (#806H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* The destination this time is Chinatown for scintillating seasonings and sizzling satisfaction at Hunan Home's Restaurant.
* Then off to SOMA where Radius Restaurant and Cafe proudly serves up modern California Cuisine using only local and fresh ingredients from the Bay Area.
* Finally, hipster meets gourmet at the delicious Berkeley breakfast and brunch spot, Guerilla Cafe.
- KQED 9: Wed, Jan 1, 2014 -- 2:30pm email reminder
Aslam's Rasoi, Poesia, and encuentro cafe and wine bar (#807H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Rich and spicy, family recipes from North India and Pakistan are served up with smiles at Aslam's Rasoi, in San Francisco.
* Poetry readings meet southern Italian cuisine at our next eatery in an old Victorian at the Castro-based Poesia.
* Finally we cross the bay to Oakland, to find the contemporary, vegetarian spot, encuentro cafe and wine bar, for organic, locally-sourced plates and an extensive wine list.
- KQED 9: Wed, Jan 1, 2014 -- 3:00pm email reminder
Little Shin Shin, The Refuge and Canela Bistro and Wine Bar (#808H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A veteran Chinese restaurant in Oakland, Little Shin Shin Restaurant invites us to try their fresh and delicious Hunan, Sichuan, Mandarin, and Cantonese-style dishes.
* Next, the classically-trained chefs at The Refuge in San Carlos combine beer with traditionally prepared pastrami.
* Lastly, taste a little Madrid-in-San Francisco, at Canela Bistro and Wine Bar, where local ingredients blend with imported goodies from Spain.
- KQED 9: Wed, Jan 1, 2014 -- 3:30pm email reminder
Naschmarkt, Cafe Tiramisu and Wood Tavern (#809H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A little taste of Austria thrives in downtown Campbell at Naschmarkt Restaurant, where the Vienna-born chef lightens up schnitzels and spatzles with Californian ingredients.
* Next, Cafe Tiramisu in San Francisco's scenic Belden Place charms Italian aficionados with its authentic fare and al fresco, alleyway-ambiance.
* Heading east, Oakland's Wood Tavern is a College Avenue neighborhood hub that offers an American brasserie-inspired menu.
- KQED 9: Wed, Jan 1, 2014 -- 4:00pm email reminder
HRD Smokin' Grill, Buddy's Bites and Brews, and Metro Lafayette (#810H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Bold Korean ingredients are skillfully blended in North Beach at HRD Smokin' Grill to make an harmonious fusion of flavors.
* Hayward gets a taste of the beach at Buddy's Bites and Brews, where beers, cocktails and seafood support a laid-back lifestyle.
* Last up, offering the largest patio in the East Bay, and a sophisticated big-city menu in the heart of suburbia, the elegantly-casual Metro Lafayette delivers!
- KQED 9: Wed, Jan 1, 2014 -- 4:30pm email reminder
Live Sushi, Chavez Supermarket and Taqueria, and Bistro Vis a Vis (#811H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Cool but cozy, Live Sushi delivers fresh seafood and a creative spin to traditional Japanese cuisine. It's in the heart of the Excelsior District of San Francisco.
* Unpretentious Chavez Supermarket and Taqueria in Hayward is a quick stop for Mexican comfort food favorites - stop, and shop for groceries at the same time!
* Last, but not least, Greenbrae's hidden gem Bistro Vis a Vis presents Marin residents with a chance to enjoy elegant, sustainable and locally-sourced food without driving to the city.
- KQED 9: Wed, Jan 1, 2014 -- 5:00pm email reminder
Zin Restaurant & Wine Bar, Turtle Tower and Copita Tequileria y Comida (#812H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* We head north to wine country for our first stop - to Healdsburg's Zin Restaurant & Wine Bar, where local, homegrown and house-made is the mantra.
* Then back to San Francisco, where a Vietnamese family simmers tasty broth for their Northern-style pho at Turtle Tower.
* Finally we cross the Bay to Sausalito and Copita Tequileria y Comida for authentic, traditional Mexican fare, tequila and a party atmosphere.
- KQED 9: Wed, Jan 1, 2014 -- 5:30pm email reminder
Angkor Borei, Indigo, Farallon (#801H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Our first San Francisco restaurant, Angkor Borei, provides traditional Cambodian cuisine that has been satisfying customers for nearly thirty years.
* Next, Indigo's expansive wooden bar and open ambiance creates the perfect setting for the touch-of-Asian in the New American cuisine served there.
* Lastly housed in an historic building, Farallon invites all seafood lovers to dine in spectacularly creative, decorative surroundings.
Zare at Fly Trap, Barrio Fiesta, Flora (#802H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* You don't have to travel far for Persian influenced Mediterranean cuisine as you can find it right here in San Francisco at Zare at Fly Trap.
* And, anyone looking for a festive location to celebrate with friends and family should visit Milpitas where Barrio Fiesta specializes in Filipino cooking.
* Finally, for a great place to relax and admire the surroundings you can pop into the old flower depot building in Oakland where Flora serves up their signature cocktails.
Mandalay, Cafe Gibraltar, Alhamra (#604H) Duration: 26:45 STEREO TVG
Join this week's guests as they travel to Burma, California, and India ... without leaving the table! Mandalay features Burmese and Mandarin cuisine, Cafe Gibraltar offers a gateway to the Mediterranean, and Alhamra serves up Indian favorites. Leslie Sbrocco hosts.
- KQED 9: Thu, Jan 2, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Shalizaar, South Park Cafe, Forbes Island (#207H) Duration: 26:50 STEREO TVG
Large portions of genuine Persian food make this family restaurant a relaxed place to visit. The same can be said for the next location, off a park, in the middle of the city, but here the food is traditional French. While, it takes a boat ride to get to our last, a California inspired dining establishment.
Rhea's Market and Deli, Sauce, the girl & the fig (#606H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Is it a deli or is it just a liquor store? Take the plunge and venture to Valencia Street in San Francisco to find the best sandwiches in town at Rhea's Market and Deli. The next place stays open late so you can party or dine on American fare well into the early hours at Sauce in San Francisco. Finally, just off the plaza in Sonoma, the girl & the fig features locally sourced menu of "country food with a French passion."
- KQED 9: Fri, Jan 3, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Dosa, Sapore Italiano Ristorante, Gather (#608H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Visit an eco-friendly spot serving innovative South Indian fare with Dosa in San Francisco. Next, Sapore Italiano Ristorante's menu tours Italy without leaving its location in Burlingame. Vegetarians and omnivores share equal status with the inspired cuisine at Gather in Berkeley.
Pork Store Cafe, Pizzaiolo, Zarzuela (#609H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Diners start the day right with a hearty breakfast at a spot called Pork Store Cafe in San Francisco. Then head off to Pizzaiolo in Oakland for some of the best wood fired pizzas using organic, local products. For the last stop, take pleasure in the tantalizing flavors of traditional tapas and Spanish dishes at Zarzuela in San Francisco.
- KQED 9: Tue, Jan 7, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
La Mexicana, Kabuto Sushi, Pazzia (#610H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Diners recommend the fresh hand-made tortillas and traditional menu at La Mexicana Restaurant in Oakland, new sushi combinations that will make your mouth water at cozy Kabuto Sushi in San Francisco, and Florentine and Northern Italian dishes at their best in San Francisco at a place called Pazzia Restaurant & Pizzeria.
- KQED 9: Wed, Jan 8, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Cafe Aquarius, Tanguito, Vega (#611H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Diners follow the aroma of fragrant cinnamon rolls to Cafe Aquarius in Emeryville to enjoy breakfast or lunch. Others walk past the crab stands at Fisherman's Wharf and go directly to Tanguito Argentinean Grill and Empanadas for bold tastes of South America. Finally, San Francisco's VEGA may be small in size, but it's big on family and Italian flavors
- KQED 9: Fri, Jan 10, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Helmand Palace, El Huarache Loco, Izzy's (#612H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Local diners enjoy the fragrant Afghani spices and hearty portions served at Helmand Palace in San Francisco; the Mexican food at El Huarache Loco, a unique dining spot found at the Alemany Farmers' Markets and at "Off the Grid"; and Izzy's Steaks and Chops, a San Francisco tradition for the past 25 years.
Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine (#701H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine are the restaurants selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED 9: Tue, Jan 14, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Bay Wolf, Green Chile Kitchen and Back A Yard Caribbean-American Grill (#702H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Bay Wolf, Green Chile Kitchen and Back A Yard Caribbean-American Grill are the restaurants selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED 9: Wed, Jan 15, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Chiaroscuro, Chef Chu's and Lanesplitter Pizza And (#703H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Chiaroscuro, Chef Chu's and Lanesplitter Pizza and Pub are the eateries selected by local diners. Will all three Bay Area diners agree on their favorites?
- KQED 9: Fri, Jan 17, 2014 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Rivoli, The Chairman and Station House Cafe (#704H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
This week's show features favorite eateries which all specialize in serving fresh foods to their customers. For more than 18 years, Berkeley's classic Rivoli Restaurant has been providing diners with delicious seasonal California cuisine. Next, we chase down The Chairman Truck, a traveling eatery which serves savory Chinese food to long lines of hungry and excited customers. Finally, enjoy fresh, local, and perfectly prepared oysters, seafood, and produce inside or al fresco at The Station House Cafe, located on Highway One in Point Reyes.
Dona Thomas, Amber India, Scala's Bistro (#209H) Duration: 27:00 STEREO TVG
Fresh, seasonal ingredients are transformed into Mexican food at our first restaurant, a casual place for all. The second stop is northern Indian. This restaurant has white tablecloths and stellar service as well as great flavors and wonderful bread. The third place has dramatic architectural elements and walls adorned with murals. The bar scene is hip and the northern Italian food keeps customers satisfied.
Pear Street Bistro, Sociale, Presidio Bowling Center Grill (#210H) Duration: 26:55 STEREO TVG
This week's show visits a place that encourages the locals to get together with a Californian menu to suit all tastes. Then a tucked away haven in the city, where you can sit outside come rain or shine and enjoy an Italian influenced menu. Lastly, somewhere to fit in a hamburger between a game of . . . Well, you'll see.