Check, Please! Bay Area
- Watch Complete Episodes:
- at video.kqed.org
Check, Please! Bay Area features guests and eateries as diverse the Bay Area itself. In each episode of the James Beard and Emmy Award-winning program, three local diners share their favorite spots and critique each others' choices. They visit each restaurant anonymously - the restaurants are not notified that Check, Please! reviewers are present. After trying each others' recommendations, the diners join host and moderator Leslie Sbrocco to discuss, dispute and celebrate their dining experiences with lively commentary.
Dona Thomas, Amber India, Scala's Bistro (#209H) Duration: 27:00 STEREO TVG
Fresh, seasonal ingredients are transformed into Mexican food at our first restaurant, a casual place for all. The second stop is northern Indian. This restaurant has white tablecloths and stellar service as well as great flavors and wonderful bread. The third place has dramatic architectural elements and walls adorned with murals. The bar scene is hip and the northern Italian food keeps customers satisfied.
Jardiniere, Esperpento, Trattoria La Siciliana (#212H) Duration: 27:03 STEREO TVG
Elegance describes the first restaurant featured on this week's show. It's a special occasion place, with a French-California menu and extensive wine list. Traditional tapas is served in a informal setting at the next stop. A friendly place where traveling musicians stop in to play. Lastly Sicilian flavors in a small, chaotic space made for sharing in a casual atmosphere.
Pompei's Grotto, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food, SPQR (#804H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Our first restaurant, Pompei's Grotto, is a family owned spot on Fisherman's Wharf's that's been serving up fresh seafood since 1946.
* Next, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food in Santa Clara makes homemade Southern comfort staples that satisfy heart and soul.
*Finally, combining a bustling San Francisco vibe with an intimate and cozy setting, SPQR delivers authentic, modern Italian cuisine and original Italian wine from small producers.
- KQED Life: Sat, Mar 7, 2015 -- 12:00pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Sat, Mar 7, 2015 -- 12:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Fri, Mar 20, 2015 -- 8:30pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Fri, Mar 20, 2015 -- 8:30pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Sat, Mar 21, 2015 -- 2:30am email reminder
- KQED 9: Sat, Mar 21, 2015 -- 2:30am email reminder
Shalizaar, South Park Cafe, Forbes Island (#207H) Duration: 26:50 STEREO TVG
Large portions of genuine Persian food make this family restaurant a relaxed place to visit. The same can be said for the next location, off a park, in the middle of the city, but here the food is traditional French. While, it takes a boat ride to get to our last, a California inspired dining establishment.
Capannina, Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen and Playground (#303H) Duration: 27:18 STEREO TVG
Contemporary decorations and a menu featuring flavors from the Isle of Capri are available at our first restaurant. The next spot keeps its menu in the U.S. but travels south for a taste of New Orleans. Then it's off to Korea for some kimchee and karaoke.
Bocanova, Willi's Wine Bar, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus (#805H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Latin-inspired flavors thrill the palate at the Pan-American Grill, Bocanova, in Jack London Square.
* Next, small plates, a local handpicked winelist and worldly flavors abound at Willi's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa.
* Lastly, elegant and chic, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus serves lunch, afternoon tea and lots of bubbles under its landmark, stained-glass dome in San Francisco.
Hunan Home's Restaurant, Radius Restaurant and Cafe, Guerilla Cafe (#806H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* The destination this time is Chinatown for scintillating seasonings and sizzling satisfaction at Hunan Home's Restaurant.
* Then off to SOMA where Radius Restaurant and Cafe proudly serves up modern California Cuisine using only local and fresh ingredients from the Bay Area.
* Finally, hipster meets gourmet at the delicious Berkeley breakfast and brunch spot, Guerilla Cafe.
Aslam's Rasoi, Poesia, and encuentro cafe and wine bar (#807H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Rich and spicy, family recipes from North India and Pakistan are served up with smiles at Aslam's Rasoi, in San Francisco.
* Poetry readings meet southern Italian cuisine at our next eatery in an old Victorian at the Castro-based Poesia.
* Finally we cross the bay to Oakland, to find the contemporary, vegetarian spot, encuentro cafe and wine bar, for organic, locally-sourced plates and an extensive wine list.
- KQED 9: Tue, Mar 17, 2015 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Little Shin Shin, The Refuge and Canela Bistro and Wine Bar (#808H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A veteran Chinese restaurant in Oakland, Little Shin Shin Restaurant invites us to try their fresh and delicious Hunan, Sichuan, Mandarin, and Cantonese-style dishes.
* Next, the classically-trained chefs at The Refuge in San Carlos combine beer with traditionally prepared pastrami.
* Lastly, taste a little Madrid-in-San Francisco, at Canela Bistro and Wine Bar, where local ingredients blend with imported goodies from Spain.
- KQED 9: Wed, Mar 18, 2015 -- 1:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Sat, Mar 21, 2015 -- 12:00pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Sat, Mar 21, 2015 -- 12:00pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Fri, Mar 27, 2015 -- 8:30pm email reminder
- KQED 9: Fri, Mar 27, 2015 -- 8:30pm email reminder
- KQED Life: Sat, Mar 28, 2015 -- 2:30am email reminder
- KQED 9: Sat, Mar 28, 2015 -- 2:30am email reminder
Naschmarkt, Cafe Tiramisu and Wood Tavern (#809H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A little taste of Austria thrives in downtown Campbell at Naschmarkt Restaurant, where the Vienna-born chef lightens up schnitzels and spatzles with Californian ingredients.
* Next, Cafe Tiramisu in San Francisco's scenic Belden Place charms Italian aficionados with its authentic fare and al fresco, alleyway-ambiance.
* Heading east, Oakland's Wood Tavern is a College Avenue neighborhood hub that offers an American brasserie-inspired menu.
HRD Smokin' Grill, Buddy's Bites and Brews, and Metro Lafayette (#810H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Bold Korean ingredients are skillfully blended in North Beach at HRD Smokin' Grill to make an harmonious fusion of flavors.
* Hayward gets a taste of the beach at Buddy's Bites and Brews, where beers, cocktails and seafood support a laid-back lifestyle.
* Last up, offering the largest patio in the East Bay, and a sophisticated big-city menu in the heart of suburbia, the elegantly-casual Metro Lafayette delivers!
Live Sushi, Chavez Supermarket and Taqueria, and Bistro Vis a Vis (#811H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Cool but cozy, Live Sushi delivers fresh seafood and a creative spin to traditional Japanese cuisine. It's in the heart of the Excelsior District of San Francisco.
* Unpretentious Chavez Supermarket and Taqueria in Hayward is a quick stop for Mexican comfort food favorites - stop, and shop for groceries at the same time!
* Last, but not least, Greenbrae's hidden gem Bistro Vis a Vis presents Marin residents with a chance to enjoy elegant, sustainable and locally-sourced food without driving to the city.
Bacon Bacon, Plaj Restaurant, Evvia Estiatorio (#901H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
If you've jumped on the bacon bandwagon, be sure to catch a ride with Bacon Bacon food truck as it scampers around the Bay - we're positive you'll be in hog heaven! Plaj Restaurant in San Francisco serves up distinctive ingredients in an elegant ambiance that provides a truly Nordic experience. Lastly, savor the foods of Grecian gods at Evvia Estiatorio in Palo Alto, where Greek wine and cuisine transport diners to a seat at Zeus' table.
Elite Cafe, Grand Oaks, Risibisi (#603H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
This week's guests invite Bay Area diners to sample Cajun classics and more from The Elite Cafe, share tasty bites while watching the game at Grand Oaks Restaurant and Sports Lounge, and savor earthy Italian food at Risibisi Italian Restaurant. Leslie Sbrocco hosts.
Contigo, Smoke Berkeley and Paradiso (#902H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
At our first restaurant, the bright bold flavors of Catalan cooking are the pride and joy of tasty tapas spot Contigo in San Francisco. For Texas-style barbeque done right, we follow the blazing smoke trails over the bridge to Smoke Berkeley. Finally, San Leandro neighborhood gem Paradiso features fresh Mediterranean cuisine, along with a page-turning wine list.
Perbacco, Federicos Tapas & Wine Bar, Old Skool (#903H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Exquisitely executed Milanese specialties shine at Perbacco in San Francisco's Financial district. Next, family-owned Federicos Tapas & Wine Bar in Union City offers savory small plates from around the globe, replete with colorful Venezuelan vim and vigor. Finally, San Francisco's Old Skool Cafe puts a progressive and philanthropic spin on classic supper club dining.
Zin Restaurant & Wine Bar, Turtle Tower and Copita Tequileria y Comida (#812H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* We head north to wine country for our first stop - to Healdsburg's Zin Restaurant & Wine Bar, where local, homegrown and house-made is the mantra.
* Then back to San Francisco, where a Vietnamese family simmers tasty broth for their Northern-style pho at Turtle Tower.
* Finally we cross the Bay to Sausalito and Copita Tequileria y Comida for authentic, traditional Mexican fare, tequila and a party atmosphere.
Paulie's Pickling, Zut! On Fourth, Marin Sun (#904H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first spot, Paulie's Pickling, has perfected its pickling performance with acidic-centric servings at a petite San Francisco location. Next, California and Mediterranean cuisine merge at eclectic East Bay eatery Zut! on Fourth in Berkeley. Lastly, we head up north to Point Reyes and Marin Sun Farms Butcher Shop & Restaurant for the ultimate in farm-to-fork feasting.
Maykadeh, Little Chihuahua Mexican, Pican (#905H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
First, Persian accents and aromatic spices fill the air in the heart of San Francisco's North Beach at Maykadeh Restaurant. Next, we run south of the border - ok, maybe just south of Market, where an impressive salsa bar awaits at The Little Chihuahua Mexican Restaurant in San Francisco's Noe Valley. Finally, we head east to get a taste of New Orleans and the South with piquant plates and big bold bourbons at Pican, in Oakland.
Massimo's, Old Jerusalem Restaurant, Baker Street Bistro (#906H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
To start the show we head to Fremont and Massimo's for Italian dishes straight from Nona's cookbook. Then, it's off to San Francisco's Mission district for a taste of the Holy Land at a not so easy-to-spot eatery, Old Jerusalem Restaurant. Also in San Francisco, Francophiles unite where charming decor and perfect Parisian fare wow at Baker Street Bistro in Cow Hollow.
Senor Sisig, M.Y. China, Italian Colors Restaurant (#907H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first spot has crafted its crossover cuisine, dishing out Filipino-fusion at Senor Sisig, a San Francisco food truck . Next, in the heart of the Westfield Mall, find a feast for all of the senses, where noodles are thrown, scissored and served at M.Y. China in San Francisco. Heading east, Oakland's Italian Colors Restaurant is a family-friendly environment where guests can enjoy an authentic taste of Italy served up with a smile.
Capo's, Bistro Liaison and La Mar (#908H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Deep dish pizzas are king at Capo's in North Beach, where a retro Chicago theme inspires the menu and the decor. Next, a little slice of Paris awaits you in Berkeley at Bistro Liaison, where bouillabaisse and boeuf bourguignon are the cr?me de la cr?me. Finally, Peruvian spot La Mar on San Francisco's Embarcadero serves up sea-to-shore selections with a San Francisco twist.
- KQED 9: Thu, Apr 9, 2015 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Pinole Creek Cafe, Shanghai House and Murray Circle Restaurant (#909H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
In an 1890s' Victorian home, Pinole Creek Cafe offers diners hearty American comfort food with a Eurasian flair. Next, Shanghai House in San Francisco is where diners come for classic Chinese cooking, such as the chicken wings, and stay for xiao long bao! Last, but not least, jaw-dropping views of the Bay enhance the mood at Murray Circle Restaurant, Cavalo Point, an elegant sanctuary with a sophisticated Californian menu and enormous wine list.
- KQED 9: Fri, Apr 10, 2015 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Lanna Thai, 20 Spot and Chalet Ticino (#910H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
We visit the East Bay for a fiery taste of Southern Thailand with some modern twists at Lanna Thai in Livermore. In San Francisco, a stop at hipster-chic joint 20 Spot features a selective wine list and a small but satisfying sample of simply-cooked dishes. Lastly, we venture to the peninsula to and Chalet Ticino in Foster City for Swiss-Italian gastronomy straight from the heart of the Alps.
Hana Japanese Restaurant, Cocotte and Sakoon (#911H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
We start in Rohnert Park at Hana Japanese Restaurant for a superb sushi experience and a sock-it-to-'ya sake menu! Next, c'est si bon brasserie Cocotte in San Francisco showcases locally-sourced ingredients for its rustic rotisserie recipes and namesake dish. Lastly, we visit Sakoon in Mountain View, where traditional Indian cuisine is delivered in a modern presentation with a cosmopolitan vibe.
Luka's Taproom & Lounge, King of Falafel and La Costanera Restaurant (#912H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
We start in Oakland at Luka's Taproom and Lounge with its eclectic menu, extensive bar and spacious dance floor. Next, San Francisco's King of Falafel has been offering diners a taste of a Middle Eastern classic for more than 40 years. Lastly, we head to Montara for contemporary Peruvian cuisine served with a side of ocean-front views, at La Costanera Restaurant.
Dragon Rouge Restaurant, Marnee Thai and Butterfly Restaurant (#913H) Duration: 25:11 STEREO TVG
Revisit three Asian-themed restaurants from the Check, Please! Bay Area archives: Ristorante Ideale, La Mediterranee and La Ciccia.
- KQED 9: Thu, Apr 16, 2015 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Ristorante Ideale, La Mediterranee and La Ciccia (#914H) Duration: 25:49 STEREO TVG
Revisit three Mediterranean-themed restaurants from the Check, Please! Bay Area archives: Ristorante Ideale, La Mediterranee and La Ciccia.
- KQED 9: Fri, Apr 17, 2015 -- 1:00pm email reminder
The Grubstake, Turk and Larkin Deli and Tanguito-Argentinean Grill & Empanadas (#915H) Duration: 26:55 STEREO TVG
Revisit three Mom 'n' Pop restaurants from the Check, Please! archives: The Grubstake, Turk and Larkin Deli, and Tanguito-Argentinean Grill & Empanadas.
The Front Porch, Memphis Minnie's Barbeque Joint and Auntie April's Chicken, Waffles & Soul Food (#916H) Duration: 26:52 STEREO TVG
Revisit three Southern soul food restaurants from the Check, Please! Bay Area archives: The Front Porch, Memphis Minnie's Barbeque Joint and Auntie April's Chicken, Waffles & Soul Food.
Miller's East Coast West Delicatessen, Picante, Da Flora (#203H) Duration: 26:13 STEREO TVG
Authentic ingredients flown in from New York, make this delicatessen a special find; while flavors cultivated from a love affair with Mexico are the inspiration at our next stop. And finally the Veneto region of Italy is the focus, with just a dab of Hungarian.
Pasta Moon, Town Hall, Suppenkuche (#204H) Duration: 27:16 STEREO TVG
Contemporary Italian, in a romantic seaside setting, begin our show, followed by a lively, trendy, fun spot with comfort food. Then off to the flavors of Germany and the boisterous atmosphere of this beer-centric restaurant.
Bill's Place, Cafe Rouge, Le Colonial (#205H) Duration: 26:57 STEREO TVG
Burgers and chandeliers make an unusual combination at our first stop; while the chandeliers at the next, with its French inspired menu, are more contemporary. Then the Asian flavors of Vietnam combine with a trendy, bar scene for an elegant dining experience.
Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine (#701H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine are the restaurants selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED 9: Tue, Apr 28, 2015 -- 1:00pm email reminder
Bay Wolf, Green Chile Kitchen and Back A Yard Caribbean-American Grill (#702H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Bay Wolf, Green Chile Kitchen and Back A Yard Caribbean-American Grill are the restaurants selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED 9: Thu, Apr 30, 2015 -- 1:00pm email reminder