Check, Please! Bay Area
- Watch Complete Episodes:
- at video.kqed.org
This series features guests and eateries as diverse the Bay Area itself. In each episode of the James Beard and Emmy Award-winning program, 3 local diners share their favorite spots and critique each others' choices. They visit each restaurant anonymously - the restaurants are not notified that Check, Please! reviewers are present. After trying each others' recommendations, the diners join host and moderator Leslie Sbrocco to discuss, dispute and celebrate their dining experiences with lively commentary.
Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine (#701H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine are the restaurants selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED Life: Sun, Jan 22, 2017 -- 10:30am
- KQED 9: Sun, Jan 22, 2017 -- 1:00pm
- KQED Life: Sun, Jan 22, 2017 -- 5:00pm
Zare at Fly Trap, Barrio Fiesta, Flora (#802H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
You don't have to travel far for Persian influenced Mediterranean cuisine as you can find it right here in San Francisco at Zare at Fly Trap.
* And, anyone looking for a festive location to celebrate with friends and family should visit Milpitas where Barrio Fiesta specializes in Filipino cooking.
* Finally, for a great place to relax and admire the surroundings you can pop into the old flower depot building in Oakland where Flora serves up their signature cocktails.
- KQED Plus: Mon, Jan 23, 2017 -- 1:00pm
- KQED 9: Mon, Jan 23, 2017 -- 7:30pm
- KQED 9: Tue, Jan 24, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, Jan 28, 2017 -- 12:00pm Remind me
- KQED Plus: Sat, Jan 28, 2017 -- 3:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, Jan 28, 2017 -- 7:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, Jan 29, 2017 -- 1:00am Remind me
- KQED Plus: Fri, Feb 17, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
To Bang Korean BBQ, Tina's Place and Hopscotch (#1102H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
Find spicy kimchee, plentiful banchan and meats grilled tableside at this casual South Bay eatery, To Bang Korean BBQ in Santa Clara. Then find great value, full plates and friendly service in Pinole at Tina's Place. Finally, its hip decor, craft cocktails and American food, with a touch Japanese influence, at Hopscotch in Oakland.
El Metate, Creola Bistro & Benjarong (#508H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Mexican food just like our guest's grandmother used to make can be found at El Metate Restaurant.
And CreoLa Bistro is a quaint place with all things Cajun and Creole and flavors from Louisiana. < br>Finally, for colorful Thai food served up in a calm, spa-like atmosphere go to Benjarong Thai Cuisine.
Rivoli, The Chairman and Station House Cafe (#704H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
This week's show features favorite eateries which all specialize in serving fresh foods to their customers. For more than 18 years, Berkeley's classic Rivoli Restaurant has been providing diners with delicious seasonal California cuisine. Next, we chase down The Chairman Truck, a traveling eatery which serves savory Chinese food to long lines of hungry and excited customers. Finally, enjoy fresh, local, and perfectly prepared oysters, seafood, and produce inside or al fresco at The Station House Cafe, located on Highway One in Point Reyes.
- KQED Plus: Wed, Jan 25, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Thu, Jan 26, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Fri, Jan 27, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Life: Sat, Jan 28, 2017 -- 6:30pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, Jan 29, 2017 -- 10:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, Jan 29, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, Jan 29, 2017 -- 5:00pm Remind me
- KQED Plus: Wed, Feb 1, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
The Front Porch, Memphis Minnie's Barbeque Joint and Auntie April's Chicken, Waffles & Soul Food (#916H) Duration: 26:52 STEREO TVG
Revisit three Southern soul food restaurants from the Check, Please! Bay Area archives: The Front Porch, Memphis Minnie's Barbeque Joint and Auntie April's Chicken, Waffles & Soul Food.
- KQED Plus: Thu, Jan 26, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Cosecha, Bull Valley Roadhouse and Michael Warring (#1001H) Duration: 26:03 STEREO TVG
Made-from-scratch Mexican dishes at Cosecha, Bull Valley Roadhouse's comfort food and Michael Warring's molecular cuisine. Will the Bay Area diners agree on their favorite local spots? Leslie Sbrocco hosts.
- KQED Plus: Fri, Jan 27, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Pompei's Grotto, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food, SPQR (#804H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Our first restaurant, Pompei's Grotto, is a family owned spot on Fisherman's Wharf's that's been serving up fresh seafood since 1946.
* Next, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food in Santa Clara makes homemade Southern comfort staples that satisfy heart and soul.
*Finally, combining a bustling San Francisco vibe with an intimate and cozy setting, SPQR delivers authentic, modern Italian cuisine and original Italian wine from small producers.
Sessions at The Presidio, Doppio Zero Pizzeria Napoletana and Waterbar (#1103H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
The stresses of the day are quenched away with refreshing beers, contemporary comfort food and warm atmosphere at Sessions in The Presidio in San Francisco. In Mountain View, you'll find authentic Neopolitan pizza, Southern Italian cuisine and a trendy, energetic vibe at Doppio Zero Pizzeria Napoletana. Finally, take a trip to San Francisco's Embarcadero waterfront for breathtaking views, eye-popping architecture, market-fresh oysters and gourmet seafood at Waterbar.
Tropisueno, Bobo's and Pisces California (#512H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
Tropisueno Mexican Kitchen is a great place to congregate with friends for top-shelf Margaritas and hearty Mexican food. Next, a place decorated with an amusing touch of the circus, although the real spectacle is the special dry-aged steak at Bobo's. Finally, a little upscale neighborhood place with good food at reasonable prices at Pisces California Cuisine.
Caffe La Scala, Lers Ros and 1300 On Fillmore (#707H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Caffe La Scala (Walnut Creek), Lers Ros (San Francisco) and 1300 on Fillmore (San Francisco) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED 9: Thu, Feb 2, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Fri, Feb 3, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Plus: Fri, Feb 3, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sat, Feb 4, 2017 -- 6:30pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, Feb 5, 2017 -- 10:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, Feb 5, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, Feb 5, 2017 -- 5:00pm Remind me
Elite Cafe, Grand Oaks, Risibisi (#603H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
This week's guests invite Bay Area diners to sample Cajun classics and more from The Elite Cafe, share tasty bites while watching the game at Grand Oaks Restaurant and Sports Lounge, and savor earthy Italian food at Risibisi Italian Restaurant. Leslie Sbrocco hosts.
Bocanova, Willi's Wine Bar, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus (#805H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Latin-inspired flavors thrill the palate at the Pan-American Grill, Bocanova, in Jack London Square.
* Next, small plates, a local handpicked winelist and worldly flavors abound at Willi's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa.
* Lastly, elegant and chic, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus serves lunch, afternoon tea and lots of bubbles under its landmark, stained-glass dome in San Francisco.
Salute E Vita Ristorante, Lolo Restaurant and Le G (#710H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Salute e Vita Ristorante (Richmond), Lolo Restaurant (San Francisco) and Le Garage (Sausalito) are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
- KQED Plus: Wed, Feb 8, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Thu, Feb 9, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Fri, Feb 10, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Life: Sat, Feb 11, 2017 -- 6:30pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, Feb 12, 2017 -- 10:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, Feb 12, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, Feb 12, 2017 -- 5:00pm Remind me
Duende, The Dark Horse Inn and Morimoto Napa (#1104H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
Kinetic energy, cutting-edge cocktails, wine, sherry, paella and more make Duende the Spanish influenced, contemporary hotspot in downtown Oakland. Next, a family-friendly gastro-pub specializing in unique beers, hearty grub and a welcoming neighborhood vibe at The Dark Horse Inn in San Francisco. And lastly, for a modern upscale decor, spot-on service and a rock star chef who creates contemporary California-inspired Japanese cuisine, we visit Morimoto Napa.
Angkor Borei, Indigo, Farallon (#801H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first San Francisco restaurant, Angkor Borei, provides traditional Cambodian cuisine that has been satisfying customers for nearly thirty years.
* Next, Indigo's expansive wooden bar and open ambiance creates the perfect setting for the touch-of-Asian in the New American cuisine served there.
* Lastly housed in an historic building, Farallon invites all seafood lovers to dine in spectacularly creative, decorative surroundings.
- KQED Plus: Fri, Feb 10, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Naschmarkt, Cafe Tiramisu and Wood Tavern (#809H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A little taste of Austria thrives in downtown Campbell at Naschmarkt Restaurant, where the Vienna-born chef lightens up schnitzels and spatzles with Californian ingredients.
* Next, Cafe Tiramisu in San Francisco's scenic Belden Place charms Italian aficionados with its authentic fare and al fresco, alleyway-ambiance.
* Heading east, Oakland's Wood Tavern is a College Avenue neighborhood hub that offers an American brasserie-inspired menu.
Gasthaus Leopold's, Tamarine Restaurant and Gallery, Sushi Rapture (#1105H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
Bootfuls of beer, Weinerschnitzel, and Austrian hospitality are featured at a boisterous San Francisco neighborhood spot called Gasthaus Leopold's. And modern Vietnamese cuisine that pleases both the eye and the palate is found at Tamarine Restaurant and Gallery in Palo Alto. Lastly the cable car rumbles past a cozy Japanese eatery where sashimi, nigiri and sushi shine, on San Francisco's Nob Hill at Sushi Rapture.
Rhea's Market and Deli, Sauce, the girl & the fig (#606H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Is it a deli or is it just a liquor store? Take the plunge and venture to Valencia Street in San Francisco to find the best sandwiches in town at Rhea's Market and Deli. The next place stays open late so you can party or dine on American fare well into the early hours at Sauce in San Francisco. Finally, just off the plaza in Sonoma, the girl & the fig features locally sourced menu of "country food with a French passion."
Bella Trattoria, Outerlands & Greens Restaurant (#711H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
San Francisco restaurants Bella Trattoria, Outerlands and Greens Restaurants are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Dosa, Sapore Italiano Ristorante, Gather (#608H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Visit an eco-friendly spot serving innovative South Indian fare with Dosa in San Francisco. Next, Sapore Italiano Ristorante's menu tours Italy without leaving its location in Burlingame. Vegetarians and omnivores share equal status with the inspired cuisine at Gather in Berkeley.
Aslam's Rasoi, Poesia, and encuentro cafe and wine bar (#807H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* Rich and spicy, family recipes from North India and Pakistan are served up with smiles at Aslam's Rasoi, in San Francisco.
* Poetry readings meet southern Italian cuisine at our next eatery in an old Victorian at the Castro-based Poesia.
* Finally we cross the bay to Oakland, to find the contemporary, vegetarian spot, encuentro cafe and wine bar, for organic, locally-sourced plates and an extensive wine list.
Roti Indian, Chop Bar & Park Tavern (#712H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Roti Indian Bistro, Chop Bar and Park Tavern are the eateries selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites?
Flatiron, Shakewell, Firenze By Night (#1106H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
Comfort food meets sports-bar-chic at this family-friendly neighborhood spot in San Rafael, called Flatiron. Next, Mediterranean flavors, complex cocktails and a warm welcome are served up in a contemporary setting at Oakland's Shakewell. Finally, old school, Italian fare combines with old world "familia" charm in a classic North Beach eatery called Firenze by Night...
Pork Store Cafe, Pizzaiolo, Zarzuela (#609H) Duration: 26:47 STEREO TVG
Diners start the day right with a hearty breakfast at a spot called Pork Store Cafe in San Francisco. Then head off to Pizzaiolo in Oakland for some of the best wood fired pizzas using organic, local products. For the last stop, take pleasure in the tantalizing flavors of traditional tapas and Spanish dishes at Zarzuela in San Francisco.
Little Shin Shin, The Refuge and Canela Bistro and Wine Bar (#808H) Duration: 26:48 STEREO TVG
* A veteran Chinese restaurant in Oakland, Little Shin Shin Restaurant invites us to try their fresh and delicious Hunan, Sichuan, Mandarin, and Cantonese-style dishes.
* Next, the classically-trained chefs at The Refuge in San Carlos combine beer with traditionally prepared pastrami.
* Lastly, taste a little Madrid-in-San Francisco, at Canela Bistro and Wine Bar, where local ingredients blend with imported goodies from Spain.