Check, Please! Bay Area
- Watch Complete Episodes:
- at video.kqed.org
This series features guests and eateries as diverse the Bay Area itself. In each episode of the James Beard and Emmy Award-winning program, 3 local diners share their favorite spots and critique each others' choices. They visit each restaurant anonymously - the restaurants are not notified that Check, Please! reviewers are present. After trying each others' recommendations, the diners join host and moderator Leslie Sbrocco to discuss, dispute and celebrate their dining experiences with lively commentary.
Vegetarian House, Gracias Madre, Madras Cafe (#1114H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
Vegetarians rejoice! The first Check, Please! Bay Area all-vegetarian show! Beginning in San Jose with international vegetarian selections delivered under the watchful eye of the supreme master at Vegetarian House. Next, fresh, organic ingredients meld together in Mexican vegan dishes at San Francisco's Gracias Madre. Finally, complex spices produce tantalizing aromas from the South Indian vegetarian spot in Sunnyvale, called Madras Cafe.
Jason's, Clove & Hoof Butchery, Dragon Beaux (#1115H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
There's an Asian twist to the Cal-Ital dishes at our first stop, Jason's Restaurant in Greenbrae. Then, it's all about locally-sourced, responsibly-raised meat in Oakland at Clove & Hoof Butchery and Restaurant. Finally, a spacious eatery serving steaming dim sum at lunch and sizzling hot pot at dinner, in San Francisco at Dragon Beaux.
Farmhouse Kitchen, OVO Tavern & Eatery, Anatolian Kitchen (#1203H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
Whimsical Thai decor juxtaposes the hip take on flavorful Northern Thai street food at Farmhouse Kitchen in San Francisco. Next, take a load off at the lively neighborhood sports bar called OVO Tavern and Eatery in Oakland. Finally, experience Kurdish culture, cuisine and wine in Palo Alto at Anatolian Kitchen.
- KQED 9: Thu, Apr 27, 2017 -- 7:30pm
- KQED 9: Fri, Apr 28, 2017 -- 1:30am
- KQED Life: Sat, Apr 29, 2017 -- 12:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, Apr 29, 2017 -- 12:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, Apr 30, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Mon, May 1, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Tue, May 2, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Plus: Tue, May 2, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Holy Land, Sodini's Bertolucci's Ristorante, B44 Catalan Bistro (#224H) Duration: 27:20 STEREO TVG
A Kosher restaurant is featured first this time, followed by traditional American Italian food served up in historic surroundings. Then a virtual trip to Barcelona can be found at a Catalonian eatery, with sidewalk tables and umbrellas in a busy city alley.
- KQED Plus: Fri, Apr 28, 2017 -- 1:00pm
Angkor Borei, Indigo, Farallon (#801H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
Our first San Francisco restaurant, Angkor Borei, provides traditional Cambodian cuisine that has been satisfying customers for nearly thirty years.
* Next, Indigo's expansive wooden bar and open ambiance creates the perfect setting for the touch-of-Asian in the New American cuisine served there.
* Lastly housed in an historic building, Farallon invites all seafood lovers to dine in spectacularly creative, decorative surroundings.
- KQED Plus: Mon, May 1, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Monsieur Benjamin, Aly's On Main and Hog Island (#1009H) Duration: 24:34 STEREO TVG
Our first visit is a Parisian-style bistro in San Francisco where the modern setting belies the traditional menu at Monsieur Benjamin. Next, a gathering spot for locals desiring a seasonal, contemporary menu at Aly's on Main in Redwood City. And finally, this bayside location with stunning views serves up the ultimate in fresh and local seafood at Hog Island Oyster Company in San Francisco's Ferry Building.
Central Market, Farmerbrown and Trueburger (#1012H) Duration: 24:35 STEREO TVG
Our journey begins in the North Bay as we travel to the historic town of Petaluma where satisfying, locally grown, Mediterranean-inspired cuisine takes place in an old brick building, next to the river at Central Market. Next, we visit the place where southern cuisine meets local Bay Area ingredients with some tasty twists on American classics at farmerbrown in San Francisco. Our last stop is a casual spot that grinds meat daily without additives or preservatives for contemporary fast food done right! You'll find it at TrueBurger in Oakland.
Tosca Cafe, Nick's Next Door, Atelier Crenn (#1116H) Duration: 25:53 STEREO TVG
We visit the North Beach landmark now serving an Italian-inspired menu and specialty cocktails at Tosca Cafe. Next, we go to Los Gatos where American Bistro fare is served up in an elegant setting full of neighborly charm at Nick's Next Door. Last, but certainly not least, the poetry begins, on the menu, in the glass and on the plate with the orchestrated experience at San Francisco's Atelier Crenn.
The Tadich Grill, Slow Hand BBQ, Tay Ho Oakland Restaurant & Bar (#1204H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
With a history as storied as The Tadich Grill in San Francisco, it's hard to resist the classic fish menu... unless you want a steak! But nothing says American cuisine like down-home BBQ and we visit Pleasant Hill and Slow Hand BBQ. Our last stop takes us to Oakland, where Vietnamese street food and handmade rice paper rolls are served at Tay Ho Oakland Restaurant & Bar.
- KQED 9: Thu, May 4, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Fri, May 5, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, May 6, 2017 -- 12:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sat, May 6, 2017 -- 6:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, May 6, 2017 -- 7:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, May 7, 2017 -- 1:00am Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, May 7, 2017 -- 10:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, May 7, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, May 7, 2017 -- 5:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Mon, May 8, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Tue, May 9, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Plus: Tue, May 9, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Capannina, Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen and Playground (#303H) Duration: 27:18 STEREO TVG
Contemporary decorations and a menu featuring flavors from the Isle of Capri are available at our first restaurant. The next spot keeps its menu in the U.S. but travels south for a taste of New Orleans. Then it's off to Korea for some kimchee and karaoke.
- KQED Plus: Fri, May 5, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Zare at Fly Trap, Barrio Fiesta, Flora (#802H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
You don't have to travel far for Persian influenced Mediterranean cuisine as you can find it right here in San Francisco at Zare at Fly Trap.
* And, anyone looking for a festive location to celebrate with friends and family should visit Milpitas where Barrio Fiesta specializes in Filipino cooking.
* Finally, for a great place to relax and admire the surroundings you can pop into the old flower depot building in Oakland where Flora serves up their signature cocktails.
- KQED Plus: Mon, May 8, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
The Hummingbird, Sumika and Orexi (#1101H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
Our first stop is a charming Creole inspired spot where classic New Orleans dishes and fresh California ingredients come together for breakfast, lunch and brunch at The Hummingbird in Fairfax. Next, we venture to the South Bay for Japanese fare with steaming bowls of rice and noodles and modern plates of grilled morsels at Sumika in Los Altos. Lastly, it's the Mediterranean island flavors of Greece, served up in a contemporary version of the traditional taverna that tempt us at Orexi Restaurant in San Francisco.
Old Skool Cafe, Brown Sugar Kitchen, Green Chile... (#1117H) Duration: 24:37 STEREO TVG
We're craving that "down-home" feeling, so our first spot is a 1940's-style supper club that brings energy, commitment and family recipes to San Francisco at Old Skool Cafe. Next for a flavorsome breakfast, try starting the day in Oakland at Brown Sugar Kitchen. Then unwind with some spicy Southwestern flavors in San Francisco at Green Chile Kitchen.
Miss Ollie's, Mama Papa Lithuania Restaurant, Bar Crudo (#1205H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
We meet a chef inspired by her childhood in Barbados who serves up Caribbean flavors at Miss Ollie's in Oakland. Next, we step into a fairytale fit for the Brothers Grimm with Eastern European furnishings, fixtures and flavors at Mama Papa Lithuania Restaurant in Alameda. Lastly, we lighten things up and end with bright, clean flavors fresh from the ocean at Bar Crudo in San Francisco.
- KQED 9: Thu, May 11, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Fri, May 12, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, May 13, 2017 -- 12:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sat, May 13, 2017 -- 6:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, May 13, 2017 -- 7:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, May 14, 2017 -- 1:00am Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, May 14, 2017 -- 10:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, May 14, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, May 14, 2017 -- 5:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Mon, May 15, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Tue, May 16, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Plus: Tue, May 16, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Stella Alpina Osteria, Bette's Oceanview Diner, Chou Chou (#306H) Duration: 26:08 STEREO TVG
Fresh, local, Northern Italian-flavors mark this subterranean osteria as our first stop. Next, a diner that's been serving breakfast and lunch for more than 20 years. Finally, we cross the Atlantic again for a visit to a French bistro with a host brimming with personality.
Pompei's Grotto, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food, SPQR (#804H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Our first restaurant, Pompei's Grotto, is a family owned spot on Fisherman's Wharf's that's been serving up fresh seafood since 1946.
* Next, Lillie Mae's House of Soul Food in Santa Clara makes homemade Southern comfort staples that satisfy heart and soul.
*Finally, combining a bustling San Francisco vibe with an intimate and cozy setting, SPQR delivers authentic, modern Italian cuisine and original Italian wine from small producers.
- KQED Plus: Mon, May 15, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
To Bang Korean BBQ, Tina's Place and Hopscotch (#1102H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
Find spicy kimchee, plentiful banchan and meats grilled tableside at this casual South Bay eatery, To Bang Korean BBQ in Santa Clara. Then find great value, full plates and friendly service in Pinole at Tina's Place. Finally, its hip decor, craft cocktails and American food, with a touch Japanese influence, at Hopscotch in Oakland.
Cafe Borrone, Yellow Submarine, Morning Due Cafe (#1120H) Duration: 22:48 STEREO TVG
This time we're ready to take on the Bay Area's rich and abundant cafe culture. First, we visit Menlo Park where savory Italian cuisine and some of the best desserts around are found at Cafe Borrone. Next, we head to San Francisco to a place named after a Beatles tune and where Mom works in the kitchen alongside her sons at The Yellow Submarine. Lastly, still in San Francisco, we visit a small neighborhood establishment that serves up Mediterranean fare all day long at Morning Due Cafe.
Jannah-Baghdad by the Bay, Kin Khao, El Aguila Mexican Cuisine (#1206H) Duration: 22:48 STEREO TVG
Stop at a hidden gem and experience flavors from Arabian nights and desert sands at an Iraqi spot called Jannah - Baghdad by the Bay in San Francisco. Next, we stay in the city to taste the fiery Thai home-style cooking at Kin Khao. Finally, it's time to visit a Pleasant Hill strip mall where farm-to-table freshness joins Southern Mexican sauces and stews at El Aguila Mexican Cuisine.
- KQED 9: Thu, May 18, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Fri, May 19, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, May 20, 2017 -- 12:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sat, May 20, 2017 -- 6:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, May 20, 2017 -- 7:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, May 21, 2017 -- 1:00am Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, May 21, 2017 -- 10:30am Remind me
- KQED 9: Sun, May 21, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
- KQED Life: Sun, May 21, 2017 -- 5:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Mon, May 22, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Tue, May 23, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Plus: Tue, May 23, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Chez Maman, Half Moon Bay Brewing Company, Kirala (#309H) Duration: 26:17 STEREO TVG
With a counter and 2 tables inside, and 3 tables outside, our first place is small - small, but with lots of French bistro and American fare. Space is not an issue at the next venue - with the Ocean right outside, it serves up a varied menu. Finally, a Japanese place where sushi and a Robata grill are the main features.
- KQED Plus: Fri, May 19, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Bocanova, Willi's Wine Bar, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus (#805H) Duration: 26:46 STEREO TVG
* Latin-inspired flavors thrill the palate at the Pan-American Grill, Bocanova, in Jack London Square.
* Next, small plates, a local handpicked winelist and worldly flavors abound at Willi's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa.
* Lastly, elegant and chic, The Rotunda of Neiman Marcus serves lunch, afternoon tea and lots of bubbles under its landmark, stained-glass dome in San Francisco.
Sessions at The Presidio, Doppio Zero Pizzeria Napoletana and Waterbar (#1103H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
The stresses of the day are quenched away with refreshing beers, contemporary comfort food and warm atmosphere at Sessions in The Presidio in San Francisco. In Mountain View, you'll find authentic Neopolitan pizza, Southern Italian cuisine and a trendy, energetic vibe at Doppio Zero Pizzeria Napoletana. Finally, take a trip to San Francisco's Embarcadero waterfront for breathtaking views, eye-popping architecture, market-fresh oysters and gourmet seafood at Waterbar.
- KQED Plus: Wed, May 24, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Marche Aux Fleurs, Peasant & The Pear, Copita.... (#1119H) Duration: 24:56 STEREO TVG
We're stepping outside the city to rediscover the Bay Area, starting in Marin for pastoral tranquility reminiscent of Provence at Marche aux Fleurs. Then it's a quick jaunt to Danville for creative rustic dishes at The Peasant & The Pear. Finally, we return to Marin, to Sausalito, where contemporary flavors from Mexico, a choice tequila selection and a party atmosphere can be found at Copita Tequileria y Comida.
Monkey King Pub and Grub, Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch, Grand Lake Kitchen (#1207H) Duration: 22:48 STEREO TVG
Named after the whimsical and mischievous Chinese superhero, Monkey King Pub and Grub offers Asian fusion dishes in Alameda. Then, the local, farm-to-table menu reaches new levels at Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch in St. Helena. Finally, we stop by the upscale diner- deli combination at Grand Lake Kitchen in Oakland.
- KQED 9: Thu, May 25, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Fri, May 26, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Life: Sat, May 27, 2017 -- 12:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Sat, May 27, 2017 -- 12:00pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Mon, May 29, 2017 -- 7:30pm Remind me
- KQED 9: Tue, May 30, 2017 -- 1:30am Remind me
- KQED Plus: Tue, May 30, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me
Mescolanza Restaurant, Basque Cultural Center, Alexander's Steakhouse (#401H) Duration: 26:51 STEREO TVG
Season 4 begins with an Italian spot that's been around for more than 20 years. It's easy to miss, so keep your eyes peeled for this cozy little place specializing in pasta and pizzetta. The next restaurant is housed in a large complex - not the place for romantic ambiance, but the food is traditional, priced right and so good. Finally, Wagyu beef and high end gourmet ingredients are the specialty at our last destination, so be prepared to open up your taste buds and your wallet for that something special!
Duende, The Dark Horse Inn and Morimoto Napa (#1104H) Duration: 25:48 STEREO TVG
Kinetic energy, cutting-edge cocktails, wine, sherry, paella and more make Duende the Spanish influenced, contemporary hotspot in downtown Oakland. Next, a family-friendly gastro-pub specializing in unique beers, hearty grub and a welcoming neighborhood vibe at The Dark Horse Inn in San Francisco. And lastly, for a modern upscale decor, spot-on service and a rock star chef who creates contemporary California-inspired Japanese cuisine, we visit Morimoto Napa.
- KQED Plus: Wed, May 31, 2017 -- 1:00pm Remind me