TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
Please Note: As of July 1, 2011, KTEH has been renamed
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED 9: Monday, March 17, 2014
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amHappy From Academy Award nominated director Roko Belic, this movie takes us on a journey from the swamps of Louisiana to the slums of Kolkata in search of what really makes people happy. Combining real life stories from around the world and powerful interviews with leading scientists in happiness research, it explores the secret behind our most valued emotion. duration 1:28:32 STEREO TVG
1:30 amAmerica's Wild West The men and women who helped to tame the west were larger-than-life Americans-rebels, pioneers, and icons of the frontier culture. Both heroes and villains, they captured the imagination of a nation and inspired a stream of novels, television shows, and big-screen dramas. Step into the past with America's Wild West, a new special that captures some of the best moments from American Experience's films of the Wild West: Annie Oakley, Billy the Kid, Buffalo Bill, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Custer's Last Stand, Jesse James, Kit Carson and Wyatt Earp. duration 1:27:13 STEREO TVG
3:00 amMasterpiece Mystery! [#4409H] Sherlock, Series III: The Empty Hearse Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) is not dead: this much we know. But how did he survive his leap off the roof of St. Bart's Hospital? There are many theories, but none of them matter to John Watson (Martin Freeman), who is less concerned with how his friend survived than with why his friend didn't let him know he was alive. Sherlock returns to London with an assignment (stop an impending terrorist attack on the city) and a plan (restore the old Sherlock-John partnership). When he finds that his brother Mycroft's warning that John has moved on with his life is true, will Sherlock have to accept a new reality and a new partner? duration 1:53:12 STEREO TV14 (Secondary audio: DVI)
5:00 amMasterpiece Sneak Preview: Mr. Selfridge Season 2 An exciting taste of the new season. Jeremy Piven returns as real-life department store impresario Harry Gordon Selfridge. Five years have passed, it's now 1914, and the many fascinating characters whose lives revolve around Selfridges & Co have moved into a new era. This special contains a brief recap of Season 1 and the first 40 minutes of the season 2 premiere. duration 58:36 STEREO TVG
6:00 amPeg + Cat [#103H] The Pirate Problem/The Sleepover Problem The Pirate Problem - Pirate Island. Peg and Cat show a group of very hungry Pirates how to share tropical fruit fairly. Primary Content: Fair sharing; Secondary Content: Adding within 4.
The Sleepover Problem - Peg's House. When the Pirates are having a sleepover at Peg's house, they get scared at bedtime. Peg and Cat help the Pirates fall asleep by counting chickens. Primary Content: Counting to 20; Secondary Content: 4 + 1 = 5. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#104H] A Plan for Sand/Whale Music * A Plan for Sand - Nick and Sally are playing in their sandbox, but there's not enough room for them to build their castles. The Cat arrives to take them to the biggest sandbox they'll ever see! In the desert, they meet Carmela the Camel who teaches them about how camels are adapted to live in the dry, sandy climate.
* Whale Music - Nick and Sally have made a song to sing to their moms, but they can't get the ending quite right. The Cat in the Hat takes them to meet the best singing teacher in the world, Humphrey the Humpback Whale! While bobbing in the ocean, Humphrey teaches the kids that whales communicate by singing, and that it's not how you sing that matters, but what you're saying in the song. The kids return home to delight their mothers with their song! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#138H] Daniel Is Jealous/Jealousy at the Treehouse Daniel is Jealous: Daniel and Katerina are playing "airplane" with Grandpere. Daniel thinks Katerina is getting too much attention from Grandpere and starts to feel jealous. Daniel explains his feelings and is reassured that he is Grandpere's one and only Daniel. Jealousy at the Treehouse: Daniel and Katerina are at O the Owl's house today, playing with his new science kit. Daniel and Katerina feel jealous of O because they want science tools just like his. After talking about their feelings, the children realize how they can all enjoy O's special science kit. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#501H] Caillou Cares Caillou's Cricket: Caillou inadvertently brings a cricket in the house and decides it'll be fun to keep it as a pet. When the cricket gets loose and Caillou goes on a wild-cricket hunt, he's suddenly able to see things from the cricket's perspective...and decides to put the cricket back outside where it belongs. Educational Objective: Wild creatures belong in their natural habitat; empathy. Dog Dilemma: When Sarah gets a new dog, Caillou is actually a little jealous. All Sarah wants to do is play with her new pup! Caillou feels a little annoyed with the dog...until he dog-sits for an afternoon and realizes Sarah's dog is actually pretty great. He and Sarah talk about their feelings, and they decide it'd be fun for all of them to play together. Educational Objective: Jealousy; the importance of communication. The Spider Issue: After looking at a spider alien comic book with his older pal, Andre, Caillou feels afraid of real spiders. He's nervous around the house, until Daddy tells him some spider facts and shows him how cool spiders can really be...and Caillou has to agree; they ARE pretty cool! Educational Objective: Learning the difference between fact and fiction. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#401H] Personal Trainer/Sprout Outing * Personal Trainer - Professor Wiseman has generous sponsors for an exciting expedition if she completes a fund-raising footrace. But her first practice run is a disaster and she's about to give up until George volunteers to help her train. He's a great runner, so this should be easy, right? Not so! The first day of training leaves Professor Wiseman exhausted, thirsty and bored. George learns there is a lot to training as he becomes expert on stretching, keeping hydrated, and pacing yourself. But can he transfer all this to Professor Wiseman and find that secret ingredient that will keep her motivated to stay the course and finish the race?
* Sprout Outing - George has just been made an Honorary Junior Sprout of Country County and is thrilled to be on his first trip with the troop, especially since the Man with the Yellow Hat is the new Sprout Master. The plan is for a nice, relaxed vegetation exploration at the Incredible Edible Arboretum, but things don't go as planned! First, the troop gets lost following Assistant Sprout Master Bill's directions, then George gets separated from the rest and discovers a man sawing branches off a tree. That's in violation of Sprout's rules, and George decides he needs to be stopped! Will George be able to prevent this man from harming more trees and earn his Sprout stripes along the way? duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#106] Dress Up Day/Bathtime * Dress Up Day - Nick and Sally are playing dress up, but oh no! Sally's princess dress has torn, and mom doesn't have any silk thread to fix it. Cat takes them to his good friend Mindy, the silk caterpillar. Mindy shows them how she makes silk. Sally uses the silk thread to fix her swirly twirly princess dress!
* Bathtime - Nick and Sally have been playing in the mud, and now they need to get clean! The Cat in the Hat knows some friends who have some very wonderful ways to bathe! In Bana Bana Savanah, they meet three different animals who all keep clean in very different ways. Even though it was fun to try bathing how the animals do, Sally and Nick decide that good old soap and water works best for them! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amPeg + Cat [#107H] The Tree Problem/Another Tree Problem The Tree Problem - Peg's Neighborhood. When Cat is stuck in a tree, Peg needs to figure out how to get him down using three giant gifts. Primary Content: Spatial sense, solving a puzzle; Secondary Content: Direction, position.
Another Tree Problem - Peg's Neighborhood. When Cat is stuck in a tree again Peg has to find a different way to get him down. Primary Content: Ordering objects by height; Secondary Content: Ordinal numbers. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#106] Fast Friends/T. Rex Teeth * Fast Friends - Buddy, Tiny, and Mom ride the Dinosaur Train to meet Oren and Ollie Ornithomimus, some of the fastest dinosaurs ever! Our kids love meeting the fast-moving and fast-talking twins.
* T. rex Teeth - When Buddy loses a tooth, Mom takes him to Rexville to ask his Tyrannosaurus friends all about T. rex teeth. They explain that he'll grow new teeth to replace the old ones. duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#224] Doghouse Rock/Guess Who's Coming to Birdwell Island * Doghouse Rock: Mac wants to join the pop band T-Bone has put together, but has a hard time finding where his talents fit in. With the help of his good friends, Mac discovers he has a special talent for writing.
* Guess Who's Coming To Birdwell Island: When a famous dog champion Oscar OwenBright Like The Sun comes to Birdwell, the dogs go out of their way to impress him. But they soon learn that the best way to impress someone is to just be yourself.