National Public Television Distribution Services for Independent Producers
KQED Presents provides complete national public media distribution services for independent producers of documentary films and series. The combination of our expert KQED Presents staff and the quality KQED brand bring the programs we represent top-flight visibility and stature in a competitive marketplace.
How It Works
Each year KQED Presents selects a limited number of completed productions (or productions that will be fully completed by the producer) for national public television broadcast. KQED customizes the services it offers to each production, but support can include technical workflow and packaging, station relations, social media strategy development and outreach, and Nielsen reports. A fee for these specialized services is negotiated with the producer after KQED has reviewed submitted materials and has expressed an interest in presenting the program.
Please use the KQED Presents Submission Form to submit your project for consideration. We will not review any submission without a signed release form.
Download KQED Presents Submission Form (Doc)
Director, Program Distribution
Lisa leads the team of top-notch project supervisors that serve KQED's independent producer partners. Since joining KQED in 2006, she has worked on the national distribution of shows such as The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That!In Defense of Food, and KQED's online and broadcast fiction film series Film School Shorts. Years of experience in public media have given Lisa extensive knowledge of the intricacies of producing, delivering and distributing programming for PBS and other public media distributors. She also has a deep understanding of the changing media landscape and works to create a strategy for each production that utilizes successful multi-platform station relations campaigns.
Julia came to public media from the world of educational game development. Her extensive experience with video distribution and technical standards across diverse platforms ensures that programming is ready for broadcast and online distribution before reaching the wider public media marketplace. Jula helps producers navigate the complex system of public television distribution, tailoring programs to meet to the unique requirements of each distributor while also negotiating on behalf of producers to optimize delivery timetables and vet content for system compliance before it reaches the distributor.
Social Media Specialist
As the connection between broadcast and online blurs, a program's success depends more and more on an effective social media campaign that leverages partnerships and takes advantage of evolving practices, data analytics and the online zeitgeist. Aldo's expertise in social media has launched online communities for KQED productions and helped producers promote their films in the best, cheapest, and hardest way possible: by digital word of mouth. In this capacity, Aldo has forged relationships with social media personnel at top-market stations, sharing out social media kits for programs and cataloguing each station's respective protocols, all to effectively deliver the promotional messaging and digital collateral necessary for a program to maximize carriage and audience reach.
KQED Presents offers a variety of options to help producers complete and promote their projects.
- Distribution: KQED Presents works closely with distributors such as PBS, PBS Plus, APT and NETA to secure the best distributor and licensing agreement for each program.
- Editorial Consultation: As an industry leader, KQED is able to provide expert advice on subject matter, structure and format to maximize a program's appeal to the public television audience.
- Technical Support: KQED guides producers through the ever-changing technical requirements of program delivery and provides a technical evaluation to certify that each program meets broadcast standards.
- Program Delivery: Because each distributor has a unique submission procedure and timeline, KQED assists producers in meeting requirements and understanding expectations to ensure a timely delivery of all required assets.
- Social Media Strategy: KQED provides a robust station relations campaign to tap into the strong potential audience of each public television station's existing fan base. Our social media specialist communicates directly with top-market stations to encourage online promotion.
- Carriage & Ratings Reports: We provide complete carriage listings, as well as ratings reports. At the end of airing, our team generates a final report that includes an analysis of program performance to share with funders and followers.
- Promotion: The KQED Presents staff creates a page in the KQED Pressroom for each program featuring key information and previews to share with programmers as well as KQED staff that includes links to your own program website. Internally, we distribute program information to other KQED departments for potential inclusion in the KQED member guide, On Q, promotion through additional social media channels, and consideration for inclusion in any other relevant content produced throughout the building.
- Station Relations: We reach out to all 300+ public broadcasting affiliates in order to maximize carriage of your program. This includes calling top programmers, presenting your program marketing materials to individual stations, representing the program at meetings where public broadcasting executives and programmers will be gathering, suggesting timeslots and articles for station program guides, posting relevant press and photo materials to Pressroom, MyPBS, and other relevant distributor sites. Presentations are also featured on our private Vimeo page, which serves as a one-stop-shop for programmers looking for quality content from KQED.
List of KQED Presents Programs
- The Boomer Century: 1946-2046
- The Botany of Desire
- Brown is the New Green: George Lopez and the American Dream
- California Forever: The Story of the California State Parks
- California State of Mind: The Legacy of Pat Brown
- The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That!
- The Complete Pepin
- Chef's Story
- China from the Inside
- Downe in Yon Forrest
- Essential Pepin
- Food Forward: Urban Agriculture Across America
- Fair Fight in the Marketplace
- Film School Shorts
- Global Focus I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII (see The New Environmentalists)
- Global Spirit
- Hold Your Breath
- Jacques Pepin: Fast Food My Way
- Jacques Pepin: More Fast Food My Way
- Jean-Michel Cousteau: Ocean Adventures
- Joann Sfar Draws from Memory
- Joanne Weir Cooking in the City
- Joanne Weir's Cooking Class I, II
- Joanne Weir's Cooking Confidence I, II
- Joseph Rosendo's Travelscope III, IV, V, VI, VII
- Journey of the Universe
- Keeping Score with Michael Tilson Thomas I, II, III
- Mad Cowboy
- Made in Spain
- The New Environmentalists I, II (formerly Global Focus)
- No Vacancy
- Nobel Peace Prize Concert
- Open Road with Doug McConnell
- Out of the Shadow of her Mother: The Irène Joliot-Curie Story
- Paperback Dreams
- Remaking American Medicine
- Richard Bangs' South America: Quest for Wonder
- Roadtrip Nation VI, VII, VIII, IX
- Saving the Bay
- Screaming Queens
- Seeking 1906
- Sound Tracks: Music Without Borders
- Status Anxiety with Alain DeBotton
- Something Ventured
- Truly CA
- Turning Points
- Walking the Bible
- Why We Sing
- Wild by Nature
- With Purpose, with Ken Dychtwald