State of Health Blog Internship
Winter Term: September-December
Spring Term: January-April
Summer Term: May-August
Please apply two months prior to start of term.
Division: News and Public Affairs
Internship Summary: "State of Health" is a KQED News blog about health
in California. It is specifically focused on public health and health policy,
including implementation of the Affordable Care Act in the state. "State
of Health" interns will train with the Health Editor in researching, reporting
and writing posts. In addition, interns will learn about sound gathering and
reporting for radio. Interns must be willing to commit to two 8-hour periods
a week (no weekends) for four months.
- Learn how to write for blog posts.
- Basic reporting and writing.
- Field recording and studio editing.
- Effective use of sound in radio.
- Story production.
- Voicing techniques
- Research and write health blog posts
- Identify interview subjects and conducts pre-interviews.
- Assists radio producers and editors with production needs as assigned.
- Follows current California health news, events, and trends through news outlets, and personal and web research.
- Contributes ideas for posts, features and spot news based on your research.
- Possesses some experience and an existing aptitude for communicating well with words.
- Be able to use practical judgment in a busy newsroom to help bring a show to air and do it well.
- Asks questions and learns from mistakes.
- Demonstrated health background a must - either clinical or policy
- Ability to write clear, accurate news copy. Skills and experience in writing news is helpful, but not required.
- Preference will be given to interns who express an interest in public radio and/or health related careers.
- Fluency in languages other than English is a plus.
- Knowledge of California health issues desired.
Please send cover letter & resume to:
Attn: Human Resources
2601 Mariposa St.
San Francisco, CA 94110
Also on KQED.org this week ...
"The Bay Bridged" Music for June
Listen the The Bay Bridged mix of bands performing live in the Bay Area this month, including The Mantles, Cold Cave, The Spyrals, Blitzen Trapper, Monster Rally, and more. Enjoy the podcast and then go see some concerts!
Obamacare Explained: A Guide for Californians
Starting Jan 1, 2014, most Americans will be required to have health insurance or pay a fine. KQED has created a simple guide to explain how the health law affects you, your family or your small business, here in California.