Radio News Internship
Effective Date: Ongoing
Department: Radio News
KQED Radio News covers the latest in Northern California news. Radio News interns will train alongside staff reporters and editors, focusing on research, writing, reporting and sound gathering. As a Radio News Intern, you will have the opportunity to hear your writing and reporting on air. Interns will receive practical experience, which will be combined with seminars and workshops on a variety of topics. Topics will include:
- Basic reporting and writing.
- Field recording and studio editing.
- Effective use of sound in radio.
- Story production.
- Voicing techniques
- Accompanies producers on field interviews, records sound and provides producers with useable clips.
- Identifies interview subjects and conducts pre-interviews.
- Assists the host, producers and editors with production needs as assigned.
- Participates in story research and development, initiating discussions with news staff on story ideas you bring to the table or have an interest in.
- Must be able to write clear, accurate news copy.
- Prior experience or skill in writing for print or broadcast is strongly desired.
- Preference will be given to interns who are interested in public radio careers.
- Knowledge of reporting fundamentals is a strong plus.
- KQED Radio News accepts up to five interns per term. Interns must be willing to commit to two 8-hour days a week (no weekends) for a semester or quarter based on the academic schedule.
- Applications may be submitted for the Spring, Summer, or Fall term internships. Please indicate which term and which radio internship program that interests you.
- Please send detailed cover letter, resume and news writing samples. If you have no current news writing samples, you may send an original print story and your re-write of the story as an example of your writing ability.
- For applicants to multiple Public Radio Internships - Please submit one joint package for all the internships you're interested in. The package should include your resume, the required materials for each internship, and a cover letter describing and comparing your interest in the different opportunities. Please label CLEARLY your supplemental materials for each internship in this application packet.
Please email your complete application packet to Radio Internship Program
Also on KQED.org this week ...
We Need You!
Volunteer during our current on-air radio fundraising drive. It's a great way to support KQED Radio with your time. You can really make a difference!
Enter the New "ImageMakers" Screening Room
Enjoy films from present and past seasons of KQED's short independent film series, divided into Animation, Comedy, Drama, and Suspense.