Arts & Culture Interactive Internship
Winter Term: September-December
Spring Term: January-April
Summer Term: May-August
Please apply two months prior to start of term.
Division: Interactive & Educational Services
KQED Arts & Culture is a combination of properties making up KQED's online arts presence. Visit http://www.kqed.org/arts/ for a better view of the range of activities. This section includes a number of online-only properties. These include a daily arts review blog, which includes write-ups about independent film, alternative music, dance/theater performance, books, art exhibits and the like.
In addition, KQED Interactive produces the video podcast, "Gallery Crawl," a monthly profile of various art galleries and a short documentary about their current exhibits. "The Writers' Block" is KQED's weekly reading series featuring writers and performers of all stripes reading the latest short fiction, non-fiction, theater and poetry. "Truly CA Shorts" is a monthly video podcast featuring short documentaries about California. Finally, "Mix Tape" is a monthly stream of ten songs compiled by KQED's Arts and Culture bloggers and the Interactive staff.
We will only select students who can earn course credit at the college level (no exceptions); BEFORE applying, students are required to inquire if they can receive course credit from their counselors, major department heads, or professors in order to be considered! Be specific in the internship(s) of interest, ability to receive course credit as a college student (no exceptions), and available term within the body of the cover letter. Resumes and cover letters are required from students to apply for KQED internships. All internships are non-paid. Once a college student has been accepted for the internship, the individual may provide "Proof of Credit" or a signed verification form from an a counselor, major department head, or professor before starting the KQED internshp program. A verification form obtained from the Human Resources department is also required upon acceptance into the KQED internship.
- Reads and manages the distribution of materials submitted to "The Writers' Block."
- Coordinates outreach to writers and helps schedule recordings.
- Edits "Writers' Block" recordings for podcast.
- Copy edits various posts to the "Arts & Culture" blog.
- Writes text for monthly "Gallery Crawl."
- Assists with "Gallery Crawl" video production.
- Helps compile monthly "Mix Tape" and writes text about the general overview of the monthly Mix and produces short blurbs about the songs included.
- Helps refine data from previous blog posts (includes some work with CMS, HTML and copy editing).
- Maintains and facilitates web partnerships and contacts.
- Performs other projects as assigned.
- Art, Music, Film, Art History, Art Theory or Criticism, Journalism or English majors strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of basic journalistic principles and ethics desired.
- Strong organizational and research skills.
- Ability to work independently according to tight deadlines and to balance multiple assignments.
- Strong interest in exploring reporting and presentation of art news and features unique to the Interactive medium.
- Highly motivated individuals with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Computer skills required including Microsoft Word as well as strong experience doing online research. Some knowledge of Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, After Effects, and / or basic HTML preferred.
Please send cover letter & resume to:
Attn: Human Resources
2601 Mariposa St.
San Francisco, CA 94110
Also on KQED.org this week ...
We Need You!
Volunteer during our current on-air radio fundraising drive. It's a great way to support KQED Radio with your time. You can really make a difference!
Enter the New "ImageMakers" Screening Room
Enjoy films from present and past seasons of KQED's short independent film series, divided into Animation, Comedy, Drama, and Suspense.