KQED's Campaign for the Future
On March 1, 2004, KQED reached its $70 million goal for the Campaign for the Future. We thank all of our 11,000 Campaign donors for their generous contributions.
The Campaign launched in 1998, in response to the unfunded federal mandate to convert our television broadcast technology from analog to digital format. With a goal of $70 million, the Campaign for the Future supported three initiatives: Digital Conversion Fund, Program Venture Fund, and Infrastructure Fund.
The Digital Conversion Fund allowed KQED to replace all of our production and broadcast equipment for both the Radio and Television stations. This has allowed KQED to produce and edit content for both stations digitally.
The Infrastructure Fund provided resources for non-production equipment replacement needs, the upgrade of information systems, and related needs in KQED's physical plant.
The Program Venture Fund enabled KQED to create more original and innovative programs about the Bay Area's diverse communities. A few of the programs funded by the Program Venture Fund include:
- And Then One Night: The Making of Dead Man Walking (television program)
- Bay Area Mosaic Project (educational outreach; funded by ChevronTexaco)
- ImageMakers (television series; funded by Maurice Kanbar)
- Jean-Michel Cousteau: Ocean Adventures (television series)
- Pacific Time (radio series)
- Quest (television series, radio news reports, educational outreach, and online)
- Spark (television series, educational outreach, and online)
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street In Concert (television program)
The Campaign for the Future allowed KQED to firmly establish itself as a leader in public broadcasting. With effective and efficient all-digital production facilities now in place, KQED is well poised to continue to deliver innovative programs and services to the people of Northern California and beyond.
Also on KQED.org this week ...
KQED Summer Fun Adventures
This summer, KQED is partnering with tons of fun places in the Bay Area offering exciting adventures and special savings when you show your MemberCard.
San Francisco Opera on KQED
Get your front row seat at one of the leading opera companies in the world! Shot in brilliant HD, the fifth season of San Francisco Opera's acclaimed series brings you four spectacular productions performed by world-class singers.