Mon, Aug 4, 2014 -- 10:00 AM
The Best Tunes of SummertimeDownload audio (MP3)
"Surfing Safari" by the Beach Boys. "Cruel Summer" by Bananarama. "Rockaway Beach" by The Ramones. Which songs define summer for you? Which songs make you think of the beach or BBQs, or lazing around in hammocks in the backyard? Our critics share their choices. Be it familiar or off-the-beaten-track, old school or modern day, what song quintessentially means "summer" to you?
Host: Judy Campbell
- Dawson Ludwig, general manager of Noise Pop Industries, which produce Treasure Island Music Festival and the Noise Pop Music Festival
- Eleanor Kagan, assistant producer for NPR's "Ask Me Another" who recently compiled a list for NPR of the best and worst summertime hits
- Joel Selvin, San Francisco-based music critic and author of "Smartass: The Music Journalism of Joel Selvin: California Rock and Roll"
- Moses Montalvo, front house manager at Bi-Rite Creamery, guitarist for the band Woodboro, DJ and record label head behind Pretty Penny Records
- Page Hodel, funk and soul DJ in San Francisco for 32 years