Tue, Jul 31, 2012 -- 9:00 AM
Troubles at the Oakland V.A.Download audio (MP3)
The Oakland Veterans Affairs office -- responsible for all claims from Bakersfield to the Oregon border -- is under fire after a recent inspector general report revealed alarming statistics: a nearly 40 percent error rate in claims inspected and a 33 percent higher wait time than average, making it the second slowest VA office in the country. We'll discuss what's causing the backlog and what this means for Bay Area vets.
Host: Scott Shafer
- Aaron Glantz, staff reporter, The Bay Citizen, author of "The War Comes Home: Washington's Battle Against America's Veterans"
- Barbara Lee, U.S. representative, California's 9th District
- Lee Gutierrez, deputy secretary for veteran services, California Department of Veteran Affairs
- Peter Plante, Vietnam veteran who filed two claims with the Oakland VA
- Willie Clark, Veterans Affairs western region director, US Department of Veterans Affairs