Thu, Jun 14, 2012 -- 10:00 AM
Closing State ParksDownload audio (MP3)
On July 1, at the height of the summer camping and hiking season, dozens of state parks are slated to close due to budget cuts. But park supporters and politicians are scrambling to keep many sites open through partnerships, corporate sponsorships and other fundraising efforts. We'll get the latest on the unprecedented closings. Is one of your local parks shutting its gates? What will it mean for your community?
Host: Michael Krasny
- Joe Simitian, California state senator (D-Palo Alto) whose "Sustainable Parks Proposal" is currently part of the budget package
- Rachael Myrow, host and reporter for KQED's The California Report
- Ruth Coleman, director of California State Parks
- Traci Verardo-Torres, vice-president for government affairs for the California State Parks Foundation
- California's State Parks on the Rocks : full series from The California Report
Mapping the Park System: Explore what parks are set to close, are saved or will remain open.
View California State Park Closures in a larger map