Thu, Jun 14, 2012 -- 9:00 AM
California's Budget BattleDownload audio (MP3)
This year's state budget morass is coming down to one main issue: welfare benefits. Governor Jerry Brown is proposing $880 million in cuts to welfare while Democratic legislators say that will hurt those who need help the most. One day before the constitutional deadline to pass the budget, we discuss the budget negotiations and proposed cuts with legislators and state Capitol watchers.
Host: Michael Krasny
- Dan Walters, political columnist for The Sacramento Bee
- Darrell Steinberg, state senator (D-Sacramento), president pro-tempore of the California State Senate and member of the Big 5 leadership group on the budget
- Fred Silva, fiscal policy adviser for California Forward, a non-partisan non-profit interested in governance and fiscal reform
- Jim Nielsen, California state assemblyman (R-Gerber) and vice chair of the Assembly Budget Committee
- Marisa Lagos, political reporter for The San Francisco Chronicle
Also, please note that your comments could be read on air. We may edit them for clarity or brevity, and we will use only your first name to identify you on the air.