Tue, Aug 2, 2011 -- 9:00 AM
Obama, The Debt Ceiling and The LeftDownload audio (MP3)
The House of Representatives passed a bill to raise the debt ceiling on Monday evening, and it was expected to pass the Senate on Tuesday. But many of President Obama's supporters on the political left are upset, saying he caved to GOP demands. Will liberal dissatisfaction over the compromise pose a political problem for the president?
Host: Michael Krasny
- Jackie Speier, U.S. congresswoman (D) representing California's 12th Congressional District
- Jared Bernstein, senior fellow at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and former chief economist and economic adviser to Vice President Joe Biden
- Michael Doyle, reporter for the Washington bureau of McClatchy Newspapers
- William Galston, senior fellow in governance studies at the Brookings Institution and former executive director of the National Commission on Civic Renewal
- Zoe Lofgren, U.S. congresswoman (D) representing California's 16th Congressional District
We discuss the proposed debt agreement and anger among some Democrats.