Tue, May 24, 2011 -- 9:00 AM
San Jose: A State of Emergency?Download audio (MP3)
Facing the prospect of deep budget cuts and hundreds of layoffs, the San Jose City Council is considering Mayor Chuck Reed's request to declare a fiscal state of emergency. The declaration would give Reed the authority to amend labor contracts and pension deals. But union leaders and other critics say the move is illegal.
Host: Dave Iverson
- Chuck Reed, mayor of San Jose
- Ash Kalra, San Jose City Council member
- Marcia Fritz, president of the California Foundation for Fiscal Responsibility
- Robert Sapien, president of the San Jose Firefighters IAFF Local 230
- Sam Liccardo, San Jose City Council member and chair of the Transportation and Environment Committee
Also, please note that your comments could be read on air. We may edit them for clarity or brevity, and we will use only your first name to identify you on the air.