Wed, Apr 13, 2011 -- 9:00 AM
Burqa Ban in FranceDownload audio (MP3)
The French ban of the niqab, the face-covering Islamic veil also known as the burqa, took effect earlier this week. And now, in a first enforcement of the ban, French police have fined a woman in a mall parking lot outside Paris for wearing a niqab. We discuss this divisive issue.
Host: Michael Krasny
- Dr. Merve Kavakci-Islam, international relations lecturer at George Washington University, author of "Headscarf Politics in Turkey: A Postcolonial Reading," and former member of the Turkish parliament
- Dr. Phyllis Chesler, emerita professor of psychology and women's studies at City University of New York, and author of 15 books, including "Women and Madness" and "Woman's Inhumanity to Woman"
- Frank Browning, writer and journalist currently in Paris
- Helene Fouquet, reporter for Bloomberg News' Paris bureau
- Umm Amina, Berkeley resident who wears a niqab