Thu, Mar 31, 2011 -- 10:00 AM
Redistricting CaliforniaDownload audio (MP3)
California voters passed Prop. 11 as a way to stop political gerrymandering. The measure took the drawing of legislative districts out of the hands of lawmakers, and instead put it into the hands of a bipartisan organization called the Citizens Redistricting Commission. But that group is already under fire for alleged political bias -- and its work is not yet underway.
Host: Scott Shafer
- Connie Galambos Malloy, commissioner with the California Citizens Redistricting Commission
- Robert Stern, president of the Center for Governmental Studies
- Steve Maviglio, Democratic political consultant
- Vincent Barabba, commissioner with the California Citizens Redistricting Commission
- About the Citizens Redistricting Commission : at WeDrawTheLines.ca.gov
We talk with two commissioners about these claims, and about the state of California's redistricting effort.