We are no longer accepting submissions but please enjoy the ones that have been posted here.
Thu, May 24   11:06:07 AM (PT)
From Diane Nelson     in Oakland :
Livia Louise Muzio, age 8, lived in a lower flat with her mother, Valentina Longinotti, and her father, Emiglio Muzio at 1025 Treat Avenue when the earthquake hit. She gave away her dolls and toys to other children, thinking the world was coming to an end. Her maternal grandmother, Luisa Lacchini lived in the South of Market. When the shaking stopped, Emiglio, a "fruit and vegetable man," hurried down to Luisa's cottage with his horse and wagon. Her house was on fill, and had sunk so far into the earth that she was able to climb out of her attic right into the wagon. Their homes destroyed, the entire family had to move out to the University Mound District, near today's John McLaren Park, where they lived on the "ranch"-a truck garden in which her father owned an interest. Livia later married Frank Granucci from Lucca, Italy.
Back to top

Mon, Mar 04   11:58:25 PM (PT)
From Michael Menaster, MD     in San Francisco (third generation) :
Joseph Menaster, my grandfather, escaped another country's religious and cultural persecution and moved to San Francisco in 1900. He endured the 1906 earthquake. Grandpa served in the US Army in World War I, where he fought in Europe. After the war, he married my grandmother, Esther Klein, a European immigrant. Grandpa's entrepeneurial spirit, despite his limited education, led him to open his own business, a barber shop in San Francisco. When I was young, he used to cut my hair.
Back to top

Mon, Mar 25   10:43:08 AM (PT)
From Justine M. Perez     in San Francisco :
My grandmother Tomasa Sanchez came to San Francisco six months after the 1906 earthquake. She was nine years old. Originally from Mazatlan, Mexico, her mother had asked her if she wanted to go to San Francisco with a cousin that worked on the ships and lived there with his wife and two children. So young she said yes not realizing she might never see her mother again. Tomasa was on a cargo ship for two weeks all alone and probably 3rd class. "In those days they only had two classes, rich and poor! and I was poor" When she reached the port of San Francisco she said she was looking for the gold. "Everyone had heard that the streets were lined in gold" This was the beginning of much disappointment.
Back to top

Sun, Apr 14   10:55:24 AM (PT)
From l.jonker     in amsterdam :
When I was in San Francisco as a tourist July 2001, I accidentally stumbled upon a gathering in the modern art gallery at Fort Mason. Checking out the art creations exhibited I found out that the visitors were there not because of a "vernissage" (as we in Europe call an opening of an exposition) but for reasons of "liquidation" as I understood from a few speakers who explained this special event. Suddenly a gentleman in a dark blue suit and a tie with brightly colored dots came forward and asked for the microphone introducing himself as the director of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. In short he said that a lot of misunderstandings have been risen between the gallery and the museum about their relationship. A chain reaction was the result. A lot of people asked for the floor and a lot of emotions ensued even accusations of lies towards the head of the museum. The lies were denied of course and the arguments back and forth went on and on until one of the female speakers a lady in a striking dress with purple and gray dots who appeared to be the real antagonist of the SFMOMA-director politely let the discussion fade. About one month later my internet friend in San Francisco sent me a newspaper article about the resignation of the chief of the SFMOMA. His reasons were kept vague but considering the events in July I think that the friction between economy and art has resulted in a liquidation again but this time not of art. (March 2002 I learned from one of the mayor San Franciscan newspapers that a perfect fitting (friction free?) new director for the SFMOMA was appointed thanks also to his personal friendship with a very influential lady of the San Francisco art world.]
Back to top

Thu, Feb 5   05:02:01 AM (PT)
From Bruce Petfield     East Yorkshire, UK :
My attention has been drawn to your web site and I thought you might be interested in an account of SF in 1895 which is taken from my grandfather's sea log when he served as Steward on a sailing ship - The Sokoto - which visited SF in 1895.

I visited SF in 1999 and enjoyed my few days sight-seeing and particularly the vessel Balclutha moored on Fisherman's Wharf, which was a similar, albeit smaller vessel than my grandfather's. Below are excerpts from his sea log.

San Francisco
30th July, 1895
Arrived at San Francisco. All well and dropped anchor in the bay at 7am. All the sails taken down by dinner time. Started to paint masts in the afternoon. When I opened a drawer to get the old man a white shirt out it was full of rats. They had eaten and spoiled nearly a dozen. I only managed to kill two of them. Poor old chap was in a stew. He went on shore at 8.30am and returned at 2pm bringing as much fruit as everybody could eat. It went down fine after six months on the briny.

31st July, 1895
Same as day before. Still at anchor. Busy putting all in order.

1st August 1895
Splendid weather. At anchor. Everything looks splendid. Received letters from home. All hands allowed half an hour to read. I had only one eye as the mosquitoes had swelled the other up. Also my right foot until I could not get my shoe on.

2nd August 1895
At anchor in the bay. Fine summer weather. The SailorŐs Mission boarded us in the evening. About twenty of them came in a tug. They had music sang hymns and spoke to us for our good and welfare time we were in Frisco. There were several young ladies which took a light lunch and they left about 10pm.

3rd August 1895
Weighed anchor at 8am and moored at 10am at Howards Wharf. Subbed three dollars of the Captain. Has a look round the city. Came on board at 1am.

4th August 1895
Went on shore in the evening. Had a walk up Market Street and through China town. Went to the Midway Pleasant Music Hall. Returned on board at 11am. 5th August 1895 Commenced to discharge cargo. Had several visitors to look over the ship. One sailor deserted.

6th August 1895
Went to the Rev FellŐs Concert in the evening. Our sailors sang songs and shanties. We passed a pleasant evening. Came on board at 10.30pm.

7th August 1895
Busy day. Did not go on shore in the evening.

19th August 1895
Have not kept a diary since the 7th inst. Been on shore every night. Been to several Music Halls and also the principal parts of the city and once had a ride on a car into the country to Red Cross also San Josâ. This day we left for Crokette to load wheat for home.

During the time we were there. I visited San Quentin(?), Port Costa. I got acquainted with the Chief Constable who lent me a horse to ride into the country. I also had a ramble in the mountains hunting squirrels and skunks etc and had a chat with an old Indian who had been civilised for many years. We left Crokette August 27th for San Francisco. We anchored in the bay until Sept 1st. Captain would not let anyone go on shore. We had ship and crew photographed. One of the apprentices (Evans) was taken to the hospital. He stayed in the hospital until the morning we sailed when he was brought on board. He is in my berth along with me as an invalid. Miller, a sailor, put in irons for refusing duty. At Crokette Some apprentices and a sailor of the "Belford" and "Garnet Hill" 2 ships lying there were charged at the Police Court with causing a disturbance on the 25inst at the Salvation Army. The apprentices were dismissed but the sailor was fined 5 dollars or 5 days at his option. The money was collected the next day. They were all in prison a night and a day as they do not hold a police court at Crokette until after 7pm. The prison is not far from our ship. It stands alone on a hill side. It is only like a wooden shed with barred windows just below the roof. Our boy went to them and gave them something to eat and tobacco and some people living not far off took them some tea. There was another case at court - a Frenchman charged with attempted murder. He went to his victim while in bed and attacked him with a knife. The man put his hand out to save himself. It was nearly severed. He also received cuts in other places. It was caused through jealousy.
Back to top



Sources and more
Sin, Fire and Gold! TV9 Airdates

Map Navigation toolOld Mint linkMarket Street linkLotta's Fountain linkUnion Square linkChinatown linkPortsmouth Square linkCommercial street linkJackson Square link



This page and all contents copyright 2001 KQED,
except some images used under license.
KQED, Inc., 2601 Mariposa Street, San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 864-2000

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy