TV Daily Schedule: KQED Plus
Please Note: As of July 1, 2011, KTEH has been renamed
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED Plus: Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Comcast 10 • Digital 9.2, 54.1 or 25.2
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amPBS NewsHour [#10452H] For The US, A Day Of Remembrance * Looking At The Tensions Between School Systems And Their Teachers * The Candidates On Overhauling The Health-Care System * Comments From Netanyahu Point To Elevated Tensions Between US And Israel duration 56:46 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amGreat Performances at the Met [#611H] Wagner's Ring Cycle - Das Rheingold In the first opera in the Ring Cycle, the gods of Valhalla clash with underworld dwarves and brawny giants, with disastrous consequences. The evil Alberich steals gold from the Rhine and uses it to forge a ring of unimaginable power. Wotan, the king of the gods, uses magic to steal the ring, but Alberich places a curse that guarantees misery for whoever wears it. Wotan's unwillingness to part with the ring leads him to break a contract with the giants who have built the gods' new castle in the sky, setting in motion a chain of events that will end in his own destruction. Conducted by James Levine. Starring Wendy Bryn Harmer (Freia), Stephanie Blythe (Fricka), Patricia Bardon (Erda), Richard Croft (Loge), Gerhard Siegel (Mime), Bryn Terfel (Wotan), Eric Owens (Alberich), Franz-Josef Selig (Fasolt), Hans-Peter Konig (Fafner). duration 2:56:46 SRND51 TVPG
4:00 amAmerican Masters [#2403H] James Levine: America's Maestro To celebrate his 40th anniversary at the Metropolitan Opera in 2011, conductor James Levine's life and current work were the subject of this documentary, which captures the essence of his unparalleled musicianship and his singular teaching and performance style, while looking back at creative milestones since his Met debut in 1971 at the age of 28.
Over the course of a year, filmmaker Susan Froemke followed Levine. Included in the film are intimate scenes between the maestro and longtime collaborator Placido Domingo as they rehearse Verdi's Simon Boccanegra; intense rehearsals with the Met Orchestra as they prepare for their first performance of Beethoven's 5th Symphony at Carnegie Hall; and Levine's poignant coaching sessions with aspiring young singers preparing to launch their careers. The film provides a revealing portrait of one of classical music's giants, exploring how Levine transformed the Met's orchestra into one of the great ensembles, elicited legendary performances from leading singers, and nurtured new generations of artists. duration 56:16 SRND51 TVG
5:00 amRare This documentary follows an inspiring and extraordinary mother in a race against time as she unites a group of isolated people from around the world in a quest to cure her daughter's rare genetic disease. Together, they discover that community, laughter and hope are some of the greatest therapies.
When Donna Appell learned that her baby daughter Ashley suffered from a rare genetic disorder that would kill her in 30 years, she was told there were less than 30 people in the US who had been diagnosed with it and no one knew where to find them. Realizing that no one was going to help cure "just one child," Donna set about forming an advocacy group and harnessing the internet to gather as many patients as possible who suffered from Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (HPS), which includes albinism, blindness, a bleeding disorder and often a fatal pulmonary fibrosis.
Filmed with intimate access over 3 years, as the clock ticks and the stakes get higher, this film follows Donna and her advocacy group as they travel to Puerto Rico and throughout the US in a race to fill a drug trial they hope could prolong her daughter's life. Along the way we become part of a sweet love story when Donna's daughter Ashley falls for an earnest young man who has the same fatal disease. duration 55:58 STEREO TVG (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:00 amZoboomafoo [#125] Great Singers Animal Junction is alive with the sound of creature songs, so the gang is excited when a kookaburra flies in. But excitement turns to disappointment when this great singer refuses to sing. Zoboo decides that he can figure out how to get the bird to sing, and with some help from Martin and Chris, he does. Jackie and the Animal Helpers are busy applying hawk silhouettes to the windows of Jackie's house. ~ duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amRaggs [#120] Sleep Raggs' dreams are keeping him awake and Pido can't sleep because he's too excited about the upcoming Tail-Chasing Championships. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
7:00 amSesame Street [#4259H] The Bubblefest It's Bubblefest on Sesame Street and Alan and Chris are the leaders of the festivities. Telly is excited since he has never blown a bubble before. Everyone starts blowing bubbles but when Telly gives it a try, he blows way too hard and is unable to make a bubble. At this time, Alan and Chris announce that it is time for a Bubble Mix Mystery, which is figuring out how to make the perfect bubble mix. Alan and Chris explain that there are three different ingredients in the bubble mixture (water, soap, and corn syrup). Elmo and Abby have to figure out how much of each ingredient to mix together. They can use a large cup, medium cup, or small cup to measure the amount of each ingredient. After testing the mixtures, Abby and Elmo determine that the mystery mixture consists of water in the largest measuring cup, soap in the medium measuring cup, and corn syrup in the smallest measuring cup. Now, they must solve r a Bubblefest riddle: "What's round and wet, is something that you blow, and has all the colors of the rainbow?" After talking it through, Elmo and Abby figure out that it's bubbles! Alan and Chris demonstrate that bubbles are iridescent and are all colors of the rainbow. Afterwards,Alan and Chris announce a Bubblefest Pop Quiz. They place all kinds of items on a table and Elmo and Abby must figure out which ones they can use to blow bubbles with. For the Bubblefest Finale, Abby and Elmo use a hula hoop to create a bubble using so big, a child can fit inside!?? And Telly finally blows a bubble, too. The crowd cheers and Bubblefest comes to an end. duration 58:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amWordWorld [#214H] Bear's Bed Sled/Sh-Sh-Shark! * Bear's Bed Sled - Bear is excited about sledding on the first day of snow, but her plans change when she hurts her toe and is unable to ride her sled. It's up to her friends to come up with a solution that will let Bear stay in bed and go sledding at the same time.
* Sh-Sh-Shark! - Shark is misunderstood. Everyone is afraid of him and won't even give him a chance to prove he's friendly. Everyone but Duck, that is, who doesn't know that the letters s and h together make the 'sh' sound, and therefore doesn't know who Shark is. When Duck introduces his new friend "Sh-ark" to the gang, Duck learns a lesson about the /sh/ sound, while everyone else discovers that acceptance is an important part of friendship. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:30 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#104H] Daniel Gets Mad/Katerina Gets Mad Daniel Gets Mad - Daniel Tiger and Prince Wednesday are looking forward to playing at the beach. Then it starts to rain and Mom Tiger says they can't go outside, which makes them very mad. After Mom Tiger helps the boys deal with their mad feelings and they're calm, they come up with a grr-ific plan to make a beach - indoors! Katerina Gets Mad - It's New Instrument Day at Music Man Stan's Music Shop. Everyone is excited, but Katerina Kittycat gets mad when someone else picks the instrument she wants to play. Music Man Stan helps guide Katerina through her mad feelings by teaching everyone how to dance, stomp and sing their mad feelings away. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amCaillou [#312] Caillou The Artiste * A Present for Mommy - Mommy's having a bad day - first she can't find her car keys, then she and Caillou have to shovel the car out, and then the car won't start! At playschool Caillou decides to make her a present to cheer her up. His first two attempts don't turn out but he perseveres and makes her a picture of a sun - to melt all the snow!
* Caillou the Chef - Jeffrey and Jason are coming over for dinner - it's a make-your-own pizza party! Caillou feels he is an expert at this and starts to show them how to do it. When the twins both opt for less-than-traditional ingredients Caillou is upset that they're doing it all wrong. In the end, however, their pizzas turn out just fine and Caillou learns that everyone has their own unique way of doing things.
* Caillou the Painter - Caillou's got a brand new painting shirt and decides to paint something for Grandma. He has a little trouble deciding what to paint. He wants to use all his colours and paint all his favourite shapes. Mommy tells him that paintings don't have to be about something and he proceeds to make his own abstract painting! Meanwhile Rosie and Daddy are pressing a flower for Grandma. When Grandma arrives she is thrilled with her very artistic gifts. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amSid the Science Kid [#225H] Sid Wings It! In his backyard, Sid shows off his homemade cardboard wings. He's wearing them because he wants to fly, just like the bird he has been watching all morning. When his flight plans don't work out, he heads to school to investigate. Susie announces that the class is going to visit the Science Center to check out a special exhibit about FLIGHT! Sid and his friends are thrilled to discover how people learned how to fly by observing birds in nature, just like Sid did! They explore a special exhibit showcasing gliders, flying contraptions, and jet planes. And in live action, we see kids investigating real flying machines at the world famous Smithsonian Air & Space Museum! duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amCurious George [#119] The Truth About George Burgers/Curious George in the Dark * The Truth About George Burgers - George accidentally loses a batch of Chef Pisghetti's newest creation: Giardino Burgers. And they need to be delivered to the Fireman's Picnic right away. Can George save the day by re-creating the Chef's recipe?
* Curious George in the Dark - Most of the time, George isn't afraid of the dark, but when he explores a mysterious cave, he decides that sometimes the dark can be a little scary. It doesn't get any better when a thunderstorm knocks the power out and the country house is in the dark. But with the help of his trusty flashlight, George conquers his fears and even shows Jumpy how to have some fun with shadows. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#104H] A Plan for Sand/Whale Music * A Plan for Sand - Nick and Sally are playing in their sandbox, but there's not enough room for them to build their castles. The Cat arrives to take them to the biggest sandbox they'll ever see! In the desert, they meet Carmela the Camel who teaches them about how camels are adapted to live in the dry, sandy climate.
* Whale Music - Nick and Sally have made a song to sing to their moms, but they can't get the ending quite right. The Cat in the Hat takes them to meet the best singing teacher in the world, Humphrey the Humpback Whale! While bobbing in the ocean, Humphrey teaches the kids that whales communicate by singing, and that it's not how you sing that matters, but what you're saying in the song. The kids return home to delight their mothers with their song! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
11:00 amClifford's Puppy Days [#103] Jorge and the Dog Run/Clifford's Club House * Jorge and the Dog Run - Clifford and Jorge reminisce about the day they met, a day that ended in a big surprise.
* Paw Print Picasso - When Clifford accidentally gets paw prints on Emily Elizabeth's painting for the art show, it has a surprising result. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
11:30 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#224] Doghouse Rock/Guess Who's Coming to Birdwell Island * Doghouse Rock: Mac wants to join the pop band T-Bone has put together, but has a hard time finding where his talents fit in. With the help of his good friends, Mac discovers he has a special talent for writing.
* Guess Who's Coming To Birdwell Island: When a famous dog champion Oscar OwenBright Like The Sun comes to Birdwell, the dogs go out of their way to impress him. But they soon learn that the best way to impress someone is to just be yourself.