TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
Please Note: As of July 1, 2011, KTEH has been renamed
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED 9: Thursday, May 15, 2014
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amCharlie Rose [#20103] (original broadcast date: 5/14/14)
* Dylan Byers of Politico on the replacement of New York Times executive editor Jill Abramson
* Glenn Greenwald discusses his book about NSA surveillance programs "No place to Hide"
* Christopher Buckley on his latest book "But Enough About You" duration 56:47 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amNightly Business Report [#33096] duration 26:46 STEREO TVG (Secondary audio: none)
1:30 amQUEST [#704H] From Farm to Fork to Fuel Discover innovative approaches for producing and maximizing our food resources. Explore how a Milwaukee farmer feeds a growing urban population, discover strategies for reducing food waste in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond, and go behind the scenes at a North Carolina facility that turns cooking grease into fuel. Plus, check out gardens on wheels in Omaha, Nebraska. duration 26:46 STEREO TVG
2:00 amNature [#3111] Leave It to Beavers A growing number of scientists, conservationists and grass-roots environmentalists have come to regard beavers as overlooked tools when it comes to reversing the disastrous effects of global warming and world-wide water shortages. Once valued for their fur or hunted as pests, these industrious rodents are seen in a new light through the eyes of this novel assembly of beaver enthusiasts and "employers" who reveal the ways in which the presence of beavers can transform and revive landscapes. Using their skills as natural builders and brilliant hydro-engineers, beavers are being recruited to accomplish everything from finding water in a bone-dry desert to recharging water tables and coaxing life back into damaged lands. duration 56:46 STEREO TVG (Secondary audio: none)
3:00 amNova [#4112H] Escape from Nazi Alcatraz Colditz Castle, a notorious prisoner of war camp in Nazi Germany, was supposed to be escape-proof. But in the dark days at the end of World War II, a group of British officers dreamt up the ultimate escape plan: in a secret attic workshop, they constructed a two-man glider out of bed sheets and floorboards. Their plan was to fly to freedom from the roof of the castle, but the war ended before they could put it to the test. Now a crack team of aerospace engineers and carpenters rebuild the glider in the same attic using the same materials, and they'll do something the prisoners never got a chance to try: use a bathtub full of concrete to catapult the glider off the roof of the castle. As the hair-raising launch 90 feet up draws near, the program explores the Colditz legend and exposes the secrets of other ingenious and audacious escapes. Then, after a 70-year wait, the team finally finds out if the legendary glider plan would have succeeded. duration 55:31 STEREO TVPG
4:00 amNazi Mega Weapons [#106] Fortress Berlin April 1945. Hitler is in the center of Berlin, 10 meters underground, surrounded by four-meter thick concrete walls, safe from any air attack the Allies can throw at him. But the Russians are advancing on the ground: the Red Army is lined up along the Oder River and going for the Fuhrer. Blocking the way are rings of ingenious defenses, kill zones and strong-points that have turned Berlin into a fortress. At the heart of this fortress is the Fuhrerbunker. duration 56:46 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: none)
5:00 amImageMakers [#1101H] Another One Night Stand THE PICK UP ARTIST - Germany
Olli is a playboy. He finds himself just as he did the morning before - in another strange woman's bed. As he plans to make his escape after another conquest, he comes face to face with his worst nightmare - the woman's 6 year old daughter. Little Yvonne is not happy with the unlucky love life of her mother and decides to take matters into her own hands. Produced and directed by Steffen Weinert. Principal cast: Steffen Groth, Chantal Hourticolon and Nina Weniger.
SATURDAY GIRLS - France
Waking up alone the morning after a one-night stand is bad enough. Finding yourself alone with your one-night-stand's little brother is worse. Little Leon explains rather matter-of-fact, she's expected to be his babysitter for the day. Written and directed by Emilie Cherpitel. Principal cast: Cecile Cassel, Antoine Rodet and Vincent Marie. duration 26:26 STEREO TVPG
5:30 amFilm School Shorts [#104H] Fire and Fury FIREWORKS (Columbia) - Against a Fourth of July backdrop in South L.A. , Fireworks is a coming-of-age story of two adolescent boys on a quest to impress a group of girls and investigate their growing bond.
PEARL WAS HERE (Cal Arts) - A scraggly girl slips away from her overburdened mother and troubled home life to hide among a mound of stuffed animals in the safe and sealed environment of claw machine. < br>SPARK (Texas) - While a boy waits out his father's tryst, he is unexpectedly forced to deal with the lady-friend's daughter. 10-year old Ricky is left outside in the truck while his dad visits a lady-friend in rural Texas. While waiting for his father to return so that they can set off fireworks together, Ricky is suddenly confronted with the lady-friend's 11-year old daughter, Callie, who has been pushed out of the house by her mom.Callie steals Ricky's fireworks and sets one off. When the commotion fails to attract his father's attention, Ricky and Callie decide to set off all of the fireworks. Subsequently, they start a small brush fire. As the two kids try to contain the fire before their parents find out, Ricky finds the connection he's been looking for. duration 27:44 STEREO TVPG
6:00 amPeg + Cat [#121H] The Clown Problem/The Ninja Problem The Clown Problem - The Circus. Peg and Cat help Mac achieve his dream of being a clown in the circus, by teaching him how funny it can be when things are exactly the wrong size. The Ninja Problem - Japan. Peg and Cat help their young Ninja-wannabe friend Aki find the fifteen missing cherry blossom trees by using Ninja skills and math skills. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#134H] Amazing Eyes/Water Walkers * Amazing Eyes - Sally and Nick are trying to guess which game Harvey the guinea pig might like to play with them. The Cat takes them to meet his friend Katie the Cavy, a wild guinea pig. But when they try to ask her, she playfully runs off! With the help of three different animals with very different ways of seeing, they finally find Katie and discover a guinea pig's favourite game - hide and seek!
* Water Walkers - Nick and Sally are waiting for Mom to come back so they can play in the pool. Cat suggests that playing on water is even more fun! But how? A trip to Splishy Splashy Pond to meet Walker the water strider will show them. Walker shows how he's able to stay on top of the water with the help of air bubbles as he journeys to the other side of the pond. Back at home, Sally and Nick are ready travel to the other side of the pool! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#118H] Daniel Plays Ball/O Builds A Tower Daniel Plays Ball - Daniel, Miss Elaina and Prince Wednesday are at the park with Prince Tuesday. They decide to play a game with a ball. Daniel struggles to catch the ball and gets very frustrated. All of his friends remind him to keep on trying and finally, he succeeds! O Builds a Tower - In the block corner at school, O the Owl is determined to use all of the blocks to build the tallest tower in the world. After many failed attempts, he is frustrated, but Teacher Harriet and O's friends encourage him to try once again. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#408] My Family Today Caillou learns that being a part of a family is something very special. Dad lends Caillou his old camera and helps him take pictures of every member of their family - including Gilbert. Looking at the photo album, the family remembers when Gilbert was a kitten and first came to live with them. When Mommy and Rosie go out for the day, Daddy and Caillou have plans of their own. They are building a surprise for Mommy that requires a lot of father-and-son work. When Caillou and his family go to the zoo, Caillou is thrilled to see that animals have families too. Also, Caillou and his family go away for a weekend of camping in the woods. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
8:00 amCurious George [#605H] Hamster Cam/The Great Monkey Detective * Hamster Cam - Steve's pet hamster, Hogie, is on the loose in the city streets with nothing but a small video camera tied to his back. George helps Steve track his whereabouts using clues from the hamster cam and his best monkeyish map-reading skills. But can a monkey with a map keep up with a hamster on the run?
* The Great Monkey Detective - It's mystery movie night at Chef Pisghetti's restaurant. But the big mystery really begins when Chef Pisghetti's cookbook suddenly vanishes! A fan of Detective Basil Know-it-All, George understands that clues are the key to solving a mystery. Will George be able to crack the case of the missing cookbook or will this mystery remain unsolved? duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#135H] Super Cleaner Uppers/Itty Bitty Water * Seaweed Superhero - Nick and Sally are cleaning up the backyard when they come across a yucky apple core. Who's going to pick it up? The Cat in the Hat takes them to meet the best cleaner-upper there is, Sandy the Sand Hopper! Sandy teaches them the difference between natural "garbage" and man-made trash, and how some animals use the natural garbage as food. Back at home, they put the trash in a garbage bag, and the apple core in the garden for Wriggles the worm to enjoy!
* Itty Bitty Water - Nick and Sally are about to dump out the water in their kiddie pool when The Cat stops them - water is too precious to waste even a drop! Off they go to the Drippety Dry Desert to meet three creatures who are experts at conserving water. Back at home, they think of other ways to use the water in the pool instead of just dumping it out - like giving Cat a bath! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amPeg + Cat [#116H] Yet Another Tree Problem/The Romeo and Juliet Problem Yet Another Tree Problem - Peg's Neighborhood. The tables are turned! Peg is stuck up in the tree and Cat must figure out how to get her down...by making a ladder out of found objects. Primary Content: Up, down; Secondary Content: Horizontal, vertical.
The Romeo and Juliet Problem - Verona, circa 1500. Peg and Cat help their poetic pal Romeo reach Juliet's balcony using a series of horizontal and vertical lines. Primary Content: Horizontal, vertical; Secondary Content: Parallel. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#209H] Dry Times at Pteranodon Terrace/Big Misty Sea Fishing Contest * When the weather has been extremely dry for several weeks, all the water holes at Pteranodon Terrace dry up. The Lambeosaurus family decides to move away in search of water, which upsets the kids. Dad and Mom decide to take the kids to the Big Pond on a camping trip, where they will wait out the drought and return home when it rains again. Don doesn't want to leave his home, even temporarily, and decides to perfect a "rain dance" that will make the rain return.
* Dad learns that he's been chosen to compete in the big annual Fishing Contest at the Big Misty Sea, and is one of three contestants. The whole family rides there on the Dinosaur Train to cheer Dad on. They learn that the contestants are Dad, the Old Spinosaurus, and Dad's childhood friend and rival, a huge raptor named Marco Megaraptor. The three all end up fighting over Chester, the legendary biggest fish in the Big Misty Sea. duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#140] Blanket Blues/Dino Clifford * Blanket Blues - Cleo spies Clifford's favorite blanket - one he has had since he was a puppy - and proclaims it the perfect cape for Super T-bone. Clifford reluctantly allows his friends to use the blanket, if they promise to bevery careful. The game turns rambunctious, the blanket gets dirty and Clifford gets upset. Cleo and T-bone realize that to be a good friend you should listen to and respect the wishes and property of others.
* Dino Clifford - Vaz's big sister Teresa is home from college and ready to dig for dinosaur bones & fossils on Birdwell Island! Who more perfect to help her dig than Clifford and his dog friends? Everybody has great luck digging up fossils that will complete a dinosaur skeleton that Teresa is piecing together - everybody but T-bone that is. But by believing in himself, T-bone ultimately comes up with one of the most important bones needed to complete the job. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:30 amClifford's Puppy Days [#125] The Halloween Bandit/An Honest Spin * The Halloween Bandit - When the dessert buffet is raided at the apartment building's annual Halloween party and havoc is wreaked by a small puppy, all the evidence points to Clifford. But the small red puppy is supported by his loyal animal friends and, of course, Emily Elizabeth. Using a bit of detective work, the animals unmask the real culprit - a stray little puppy that sneaked into the party. Ultimately, this hungry little puppy is adopted by a neighborhood family and given a home.
* An Honest Spin - When Clifford accidentally breaks Daffodil's spinning top, he thinks the right thing to do is to tell her, but instead, he follows Norville's advice and goes to great lengths to keep Daffodil from finding out.