TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED 9: Wednesday, May 14, 2014
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amCharlie Rose [#20102] (original broadcast date: 5/13/14)
Hamad bin Jassim al Thani, former Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Qatar. duration 56:47 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amNightly Business Report [#33095] duration 26:46 STEREO TVG (Secondary audio: none)
1:30 amSpark! [#502H] Amy X Neuburg, Shuji Ikeda , Stanlee Gatti Avant-garde songstress Amy X Neuburg creates a new song cycle with her Cello Chixtet. Ceramicist Shuji Ikeda fires his woven clay baskets in a kiln that must burn for seven days. Designer Stanlee Gatti creates a floral masterpiece at the Conservatory of Flowers. duration 26:47 STEREO TVG
2:00 amComing Back with Wes Moore [#101] Coming Back Host Wes Moore explores the questions surrounding the difficulty with the process of coming back from war. He meets Chris Phelan who was able to successfully translate his experience in the military to a career as a police officer. He is also raising his two-year-old daughter River by himself, while his wife, Star Lopez, serves as a lawyer at the Afghan Embassy preparing to return home herself.
When Andy Clark returned from war, he and his wife were faced with their son's diagnosis with autism and the costs of his care. Feeling financial pressure, Andy decides to accept a position as a military contractor that requires him to be in Afghanistan for months at a time.
Letrice Titus works as a counselor in the Canandaigua VA Hospital where all the calls to the VA Veterans Crisis Line are routed. And Brad Farnsley is at a Warrior Transition Unit, a system established by the Army in 2007 to assist with the transitioning of soldiers they deem medically or psychologically unready for either duty or discharge. Anxious to return to his family for good, Brad is stuck by the complicated bureaucracy and his discharge date remains a mystery. duration 56:46 STEREO TVPG-V (Secondary audio: none)
3:00 amFrontline [#3211] United States of Secrets, Part One Last year, Edward Snowden downloaded tens of thousands of top-secret documents from a highly secure government computer network. The revelations that followed touched off a fierce debate over the massive surveillance operations conducted by the National Security Agency. Now, Frontline investigates the secret history of the unprecedented surveillance program that began in the wake of September 11th and continues today. Through exclusive interviews with intelligence insiders, cabinet officials and government whistle-blowers, part one reveals how the US government came to monitor the communications of millions of Americans and to collect billions of records on ordinary people around the world. duration 1:56:46 STEREO TVRE (Secondary audio: none)
5:00 amImageMakers [#1105H] Dead Last Option TRUE LOVE - Australia
A woman has suffered years of psychological and physical abuse at the hands of her husband. When he starts focusing his rage on her daughter, she snaps and kills him. She never thought she had it in her to kill somebody. Now does she have it in her to bury the evidence? The original and unpredictable thriller that will have you guessing up to its shocking climax. Directed by Robert Braiden. Principal cast: Niki J Price and Jamie Dunn.
CURFEW - USA
At the lowest point in his life, Richie gets a call from his estranged sister, asking him to look after his 9-year-old niece. Years may exaggerate the distance separating brothers and sisters, but blood ties run too deep and cannot be ignored. Written, directed and edited by Shawn Christensen. Principal cast: Shawn Christensen, Fatima Ptacek and Kim Allen. duration 29:05 STEREO TVPGV
5:30 amFilm School Shorts [#201H] Together Alone WILL (CalArts) On 9/11, a young girl wishes she could go back in time. Winner of a Student Academy Award. Directed by Eusong Lee.
UNDER (Columbia University) A recovering drug addict and her fiance journey to a remote country cabin so she can get clean. Winner of a Student Academy Award. Written and directed by Mark Raso. duration 28:39 STEREO TVPG
6:00 amPeg + Cat [#117H] The Perfect Ten Problem/The Long Line Problem The Perfect Ten Problem - TV Show Set. Peg and Cat are judging a singing competition in which all performers must get a rating of exactly ten stars. Primary Content: Adding to 10; Secondary Content: The number 0.
The Long Line Problem - The Purple Planet. While waiting in a long line, Peg and Cat try to help Richard realize his dream of being first in line for the first time. Primary Content: Ordinal numbers, using a number line; Secondary Content: Positional relationships (in front of/behind), counting to 20. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#133H] A Sweet Deal/King of Swing * A Sweet Deal - Sally and Nick are having a hard time getting customers to come to their "cafe". What can they do? The Cat takes them to meet Eddy the honeyguide bird. Eddy shows them how he guides humans to bees' nests by making noise and putting on a show. Back at home, Sally and Nick follow Eddy's example and proudly serve their first customer!
* King of Swing - Swinging from a rope isn't so easy for Sally and Nick.Good thing the Cat knows the king of swing, Charlie the chimpanzee! In the Leafylafoo Rainforest, Charlie teaches them how to use their hands and feet to swing as they help him search for bananas, his favourite food! Back at home, Sally and Nick mimic Charlie and swing across the backyard to where Cat has a surprise snack waiting for them - bananas! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#116H] Be A Vegetable Taster!/Daniel Tries A New Food * Be a Vegetable Taster! - Teacher Harriet introduces Daniel and his friends to the school's vegetable garden and convinces them to pick out some healthy veggies for their snack. They explore the garden, picking and trying different vegetables - with mixed results!
* Daniel Tries a New Food - Miss Elaina is having dinner with the Tiger family and she encourages Daniel to try some new food: Veggie Spaghetti and Banana Swirl. Daniel is convinced he won't like Veggie Spaghetti, even though he's never tried it before. Miss Elaina encourages him to be adventurous and try the new food. She does the same herself, and even though she doesn't like all of it, she's proud of herself for trying. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#515H] Big Brother Caillou Bunny Shmunny: Caillou doesn't seem to appreciate how much time Mommy spends doing things for him (like cooking and picking up clothes)... until Caillou spends a lot of time making a paper mache bunny for Rosie. When Rosie couldn't care less about Caillou's bunny, he finally realizes how it feels when someone is unappreciative of the hard work that's done for them. Caillou decides to make amends with Mommy. Educational Objective: Showing others you appreciate their work. That's Mine!: When Rosie accidentally scratches Caillou's bike, Caillou is determined to take back all of his toys and keep their things separate...until he accidentally breaks Daddy's guitar string. Then Caillou realizes accidents happen sometimes. He forgives Rosie and decides to share his toys once again. Educational Objective: Accidents happen and it's important to forgive people for unintentional acts. Raspberry Ruckus: Caillou thinks it's hilarious when he teaches Rosie how to blow raspberries...much to his parents' chagrin. When Rosie blows a raspberry at Caillou's artwork during a preschool "open house", Caillou finally realizes it's not always appropriate...and decides he's going to be a better role model for his younger sister. Educational Objective: Caillou learns the dangers of teaching younger children inappropriate behavior. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#604H] George and the Giant Thumb/Shutter Monkey * George and the Giant Thumb - A bored George and Allie decide to make a ginormous sculpture of Bill's sprained thumb. The duo quickly run out of clay and turn to less conventional art supplies. Peanut butter proves too sticky and shaving cream too drippy, so George and Allie use mud to finish their masterpiece. But will Bill give their art a thumbs up?
* Shutter Monkey - Betsy's "Out of Sight Shapes" entry for the photo contest is sure to win first prize--that is until George and Steve accidentally ruin her pictures. With some help from Steve, George runs around town trying to re-shoot the photographs. But finding the hidden shapes in things is hard for a little monkey! Can George snap 4 pictures of 4 shapes by 4:00 - or are Betsy's prize-winning photos out of sight for good? duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#134H] Amazing Eyes/Water Walkers * Amazing Eyes - Sally and Nick are trying to guess which game Harvey the guinea pig might like to play with them. The Cat takes them to meet his friend Katie the Cavy, a wild guinea pig. But when they try to ask her, she playfully runs off! With the help of three different animals with very different ways of seeing, they finally find Katie and discover a guinea pig's favourite game - hide and seek!
* Water Walkers - Nick and Sally are waiting for Mom to come back so they can play in the pool. Cat suggests that playing on water is even more fun! But how? A trip to Splishy Splashy Pond to meet Walker the water strider will show them. Walker shows how he's able to stay on top of the water with the help of air bubbles as he journeys to the other side of the pond. Back at home, Sally and Nick are ready travel to the other side of the pool! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amPeg + Cat [#121H] The Clown Problem/The Ninja Problem The Clown Problem - The Circus. Peg and Cat help Mac achieve his dream of being a clown in the circus, by teaching him how funny it can be when things are exactly the wrong size.
The Ninja Problem - Japan. Peg and Cat help their young Ninja-wannabe friend Aki find the fifteen missing cherry blossom trees by using Ninja skills and math skills. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#216H] Dinos A to Z, Part 3, Classification/Dinos A to Z, Part 4, A To Z Picnic The Pteranodon family rides the Dinosaur Train - now with extra cars attached -- as it continues picking up more dinosaurs that are in the `Dinosaurs A to Z' song. The Pteranodon family reunites with some dinosaurs they've met before, and are introduced to species they've never met! The Pteranodon kids also learn about classification, and Don leads the way organizing the dinosaurs on the Train by their species, features, and size. The Pteranodon family is on the Dinosaur Train, now very crowded with all 26 dinosaurs mentioned in the `Dinosaurs A to Z' song. The Train has added more extra cars than it ever has, and there's even an additional engine to help pull the Train to Troodon Town. At Troodon Town, all the dinosaurs have fun at a picnic, and then Tiny leads the 26 different `A to Z' dinosaurs in a fun, rousing, and historic singing of the `Dinosaurs A to Z' song! duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#139] Forgive & Forget/Mimi's Back In Town * Forgive & Forget - When Clifford forgets a play date, Cleo gets really upset. After all, she would never do that to a friend. Cleo wont even accept Clifford's apologies. But T-bone points out to Cleo that maybe she is the one who isn't being a good friend. After all, Clifford did apologize and a good friend would never hold a grudge. Cleo learns that good friends forgive (and forget!).
* Mimi-s Back in Town - T-bone really likes Mimi, the little brown poodle who visits the Island on occasion, and is very excited to hear she's coming back again! But when Cleo starts teasing him about how much he likes Mimi, T-bone feels embarrassed and uncomfortable. He finally confronts Cleo about it and Cleo learns that teasing can be anything that makes someone feel uncomfortable. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:30 amClifford's Puppy Days [#124] Lights, Camera, Action/Basketball Babysitter * Lights, Camera, Action - Inspired by a classroom visit by Ken Burns, Emily Elizabeth, Nina and Shun try to make a documentary highlighting people in their neighborhood. But they're so busy trying to do their jobs that they don't realize how they're messing up their interviews. After they learn a lesson from Clifford about having respect for others, they make a successful documentary.
* Basketball Babysitter - Evan get tickets to see his hero, Allan Houston, play basketball, and he's really excited. Emily Elizabeth and Clifford come along, and they strike up a friendship with Allan Houston's daughter, Remie, and her beagle puppy, Hoops. Evan winds up babysitting for Remie and Hoops during the game. He's happy to do it, but he winds up missing most of the game. But he's a good sport about it, and when Allan Houston makes it up to him by playing some one-on-one basketball with him - it's his dream come true!