TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
Please Note: As of July 1, 2011, KTEH has been renamed
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED 9: Thursday, March 27, 2014
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amCharlie Rose [#20068] (original broadcast date: 3/26/14)
* Robert Kaplan on his book "Asia's Cauldron: The South China Sea and the End of a Stable Pacific"
* A discussion about Indian elections with Sadanand Dhume, Dr. Milan Vaishnav, Professor Arvind Panagariya and Jonathan Shainin. duration 56:47 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amNightly Business Report [#33061] Tonight on Nightly Business Report, Facebook's surprise $2b purchase of virtual reality headset maker Oculus has many investors wondering how it fits into Facebook's long term strategy? And, Blackrock CEO Larry Fink has a warning for every CEO in the S&P 500. duration 26:46 STEREO TVG (Secondary audio: none)
1:30 amQUEST [#506H] Millie Hughes-Fulford/Hog Wild In 1991, molecular biologist Millie Hughes-Fulford was the first woman to travel into space as a working scientist. QUEST learns how the experiments she's sending into orbit may one day help keep space travelers healthy. Plus, discover what California is doing to keep non-native wild pigs in check, and meet UC Santa Cruz marine biologist Dan Costa. duration 26:20 STEREO TVG
2:00 amNature [#2806H] Elsa's Legacy: The Born Free Story 2010 marked the 50th anniversary of the publication of "Born Free", a book and then a film that forever changed the way we think about wildlife. What has happened to lions since this story? And what has happened to the people featured in the film? What has "Born Free" taught us? duration 55:16 SRND51 TVPG (Secondary audio: DVI)
3:00 amNova [#4022H] Cold Case JFK For decades, the assassination of John F. Kennedy has fueled dark rumors of conspiracies and mishandled evidence. Now, 50 years later, Nova asks: Could modern investigators do better? We'll see how state-of-the art forensic tools would be applied to the investigation were it to happen today. At the same time, Nova takes a critical look at contemporary cases, like the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, to reveal how charges of evidence mishandling and human error can mar even scientifically sophisticated detective work. Will forensics ever be truly foolproof, or does modern technology just give a scientific sheen to a practice that will always be more art than science? duration 54:35 STEREO TVPG-V
4:00 amSecrets of the Dead [#1302H] The Lost Diary of Dr. Livingstone To celebrate the 200th anniversary of Dr. David Livingstone's birth, new forensic techniques are being used to study the famed explorer's lost diary. It reveals he was witness to the brutal massacre of slaves at the hands of their traders. And the writings in this diary suggest he was a far different man than the legend that surrounds him. duration 53:46 STEREO TVPG-V (Secondary audio: DVI)
5:00 amExtraordinary Women [#111H] Amelia Earhart Amelia Earhart was an aviation pioneer and female icon. Born to a privileged family in Kansas in the United States, Amelia grew up a tomboy. It was no surprise that when her father, Edwin took her to an air show, Amelia was hooked. She took numerous part time jobs, and borrowed money from her mother's inheritance, in order to pay for flying lessons and buy her first plane. But Charles Lindberg's record-breaking flight across the Atlantic awakened in Amelia, a daring need for adventure on a massive scale. She caught the attention of high profile publisher of adventure books, George Palmer Putnam who gave Amelia the chance to equal Lindbergh's Atlantic feat. The successful crossing in 1928 brought Amelia instant fame. duration 51:55 STEREO TVPG
6:00 amPeg + Cat [#110] The Race Car Problem/The Big Gig Problem The Race Car Problem - Junk Yard/Race Track Stadium. Peg and Cat rebuild their homemade race car, "Hot Buttered Lightnin'," to compete in the Talla-peg-a 20 race. Primary Content: More than, less than; Secondary Content: Solid shapes.
The Big Gig Problem - The Farm. Peg and Cat need to round up the missing members of their touring band, the Electric Eleven, in time for their big gig for 100 chickens. Primary Content: Counting backwards from 11; Secondary Content: Deductive reasoning, the 20s. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#112] You Should Be Dancing/Batty for Bats * You Should Be Dancing - Nick and Sally are planning to put on a show for their moms, but they can't finish their dance without falling down! The Cat in the Hat takes them to meet one of the best dancers in the world, Tango a bird of paradise! With a few costume changes and a little practice, Nick and Sally are finally able to show their moms their new dance!
* Batty for Bats - Sally and Nick are playing a game of blindfolded freeze tag but they can't seem to find each other! Luckily the Cat has a friend who is always able to find his way in the dark. He takes them to meet Zapita, a bat who teaches the kids about echolocation. Now that Nick and Sally know how to listen to find their way, freeze tag has become a lot more fun! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#122H] Clean Up Time/Neighborhood Clean Up Neighborhood Clean Up: A wind storm has made a mess of the Neighborhood playground and no one can play. When King Friday proclaims that it is Clean Up Day, everyone helps restore the playground by throwing out and recycling the trash. The children learn that by working together, the playground can be ready for play again in no time! Clean Up Time: Daniel and O the Owl are playing "farm" at Daniel's house. They are having a lot of fun, but are making quite a mess! After losing his watch in a messy room, Daniel realizes that cleaning up and putting his toys away will help him find it. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#313] Captain Caillou * Captain Caillou - Grandpa's got a surprise for Caillou on their trip to the park - it's a remote control sailboat! Caillou is eager to race against the other boats on the pond. He imagines himself as Captain of the fastest sailboat ever. In his eagerness to win however, Caillou goes a little too fast and the boat capsizes. Caillou is sorry he didn't win the race, but he still had lots of fun and is eager to try again next week.
* The Loudest Noise - Mommy sends Caillou to play outside because he's making too much noise and it's Rosie's nap time. Caillou notices all the loud sounds outside, especially Daddy's lawnmower, and the recycling truck. Daddy says he knows a sound that's even louder than those sounds, and takes Caillou to a road near the airport. Daddy was right - the planes taking off overhead are really, really, really loud! Caillou imagines he's a pilot of one of those planes.
* Caillou's First Wedding - Daddy and Mommy's friend Jonas is getting married. The kids are very excited about the ceremony - Caillou is the ringbearer and Rosie is the flowergirl. Caillou is also looking forward to seeing Jonas' horse Lucky again. Caillou learns to say 'Excuse me' when he wants to get by someone, and it comes in handy when he drops the rings amongst the guests! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#404] The Inside Story/A Monkey, A Plan, A Canal * The Inside Story - George doesn't feel so well. He's sneezing and can't taste Chef Pisghetti's sauce. He learns that he has a germ inside that's given him a cold. George wishes he could make the germ go away so he could feel better. Gnocchi curls up with George and they both go to sleep. In his dream, George wakes up inside himself, with Gnocchi at his side. They are facing that pesky germ - the bluesy, singing Toots and his Germettes, who have set up camp inside George. George wants them to leave, but they are having a wonderful time and never want to go! George and Gnocchi chase Toots through George's body (nose, stomach and lungs) in an effort to evict him. Will they succeed? And if so, how?
* A Monkey, A Plan, A Canal - Oh no! George and Allie find that a dry spell has lowered the water level of Lake Wanasink Lake and one of their fish friends got trapped in a small pond away from it's family! What's a monkey and girl to do? Trying to put the fish in a pail to carry it over doesn't work. George decides to dig a canal between the lake and the little pond. This would work except that the small pond is downhill from the lake and fish can't swim up hill. With some help from Bill, George realizes his canal needs a lock. Even though this is big work for a little monkey, George is up to it! Once George figures out how to build it, will the fish use it and swim back to his family? duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#111H] Flight of the Penguin/Let's Go Fly A Kite * Flight of the Penguin - Sally and Nick are pretending to fly in their backyard. Oh wouldn't it be great if they really could? The Cat in the Hat brings them to meet his good friend Percy the penguin. After a fun race with a penguin and a bird, the kids learn that not all birds fly, but that doesn't mean they aren't fast!
* Let's Go Fly a Kite - Sally, Nick and the Cat are trying to fly a kite, but there's not enough wind. The Cat in the Hat takes them to Huff-Puff-Maguff where there's so much wind, they lose their kite! They chase the kite, using the wind to help them. When they finally reach it, the breeze helps to cool them down! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amPeg + Cat [#102] The Messy Room Problem/The Golden Pyramid Problem The Messy Room Problem - Peg's Room. Peg and Cat sort through the mess in Peg's room just in time for company to come over and see Cat's masterpiece, "The Circles." Primary Content: Sorting; Secondary Content: Shapes.
The Golden Pyramid Problem - Magical Forest. Peg the Bold and Brave Sir Cat, Knights of the Round Table, search far and wide to retrieve the Mermaid's golden pyramids. Primary Content: Solid shapes; Secondary Content: Counting by twos. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#121H] Dinosaur Camouflage/Family Scavenger Hunt * Dinosaur Camouflage - Buddy and Tiny meet a shy dinosaur, Leslie Lesothosaurus, who is very good at hiding. The kids end up persuading Leslie to stop hiding, and come out to play with them.
* Scavenger Hunt - The Pteranodon family travels to the Big Pond for a Scavenger Hunt. Using clues and rhymes, the kids solve word puzzles and finally glimpse a bug-eating plant they thought was mere make-believe. duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#106L] Cleo Comes to Town/False Friends * Cleo Comes To Town - In flashback, we see how Cleo shook everybody up when she first moved to Birdwell Island. T-Bone learns to accept her as a new friend, and also how to share an old friend (Clifford) with a new one.
* False Friends - When Cleo gets a new doggie playground and suddenly Mac is her new best friend, she starts ignoring Clifford and T-Bone! But Cleo soon learns that good friends stick by you through thick and thin.