TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED 9: Friday, January 17, 2014
Channels 9.1 • 54.2, 25.1 | XFINITY 9 and HD 709
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amCharlie Rose [#20019] (original broadcast date: 01/16/2014)
British poet Kate Tempest discusses her show "Brand New Ancients" duration 56:47 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amNightly Business Report [#33012] Tonight on Nightly Business Report, Best Buy reports weak holiday sales and the stock tanks. Has the company's turnaround been knocked off track? And, as California suffers from a severe drought, farmers have to make some tough decisions and that could mean higher prices for things like beef and lettuce. duration 26:46 STEREO TVG (Secondary audio: none)
1:30 amHealing A.D.D. with Dr. Daniel Amen ADD or ADHD is a national health crisis that continues to grow-yet it remains one of the most misunderstood and incorrectly treated illnesses today. Kids and adults are put on powerful stimulant medications in short office visits without any biological information, and the stories of these medications hurting children and adults are common and persistent.
In this national public television program, psychiatrist Daniel Amen and his wife nurse Tana Amen take a completely new look at ADD and explain 7 unique types based on the extensive brain imaging work of the Amen Clinics on tens of thousands of ADD patients. Treating all people with ADD the same invites failure and frustration and can be a disaster, as the traditional treatments that make two of the types better can make the other 5 types worse.
The show is divided into three parts. In Part One, the myths and misconceptions about ADD will be discussed as well as the hallmark ADD symptoms. In Part Two, the 7 different types of ADD will be described in detail. And, in Part Three Dr. and Mrs. Amen we'll give you a clear method for Healing ADD, including the best natural treatments. They are not opposed to medication, but think it's smart to start with lifestyle and natural treatments first. duration 1:57:22 STEREO TVG
3:30 amJFK: American Experience [#101] Part One Follow JFK's rise to power from his birth to his election as president in 1960 - the youngest man ever to be elected to the office. With illuminating interviews from family members including sister Jean Kennedy Smith, niece Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, historian Robert Dallek and author Robert Caro, this episode offers new insight into Kennedy's early years, from his transformation from a sickly youth to Washington's most eligible bachelor to the nation's president. duration 1:56:46 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: none)
6:00 amPeg + Cat [#108] The Dinosaur Problem/The Beethoven Problem The Dinosaur Problem - Prehistoric Valley. When Peg and Cat get lost riding dinosaurs through a prehistoric forest, they use a diagram to find their way to safety before the Baby T-Rex catches up to them. Primary Content: Following diagrams; Secondary Content: Patterns. The Beethoven Problem - Vienna, circa 1800. When Peg and Cat are helping their pal Ludwig Van Beethoven write a symphony, Cat laughs in a certain pattern that gives Beethoven a great idea. Primary Content: Patterns; Secondary Content: Ordinal Numbers. duration 28:55 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#113H] Maps/Termite Towers * Maps - Nick and Sally are pretending to be pirates. The Cat takes them on a real pirate adventure by following a treasure map! They use landmarks to find their way to a real pirate treasure: parchment paper and ink pens to make their own pirate maps!
* Termite Towers - Sally and Nick just can't seem to keep their block tower from toppling over. The Cat in the Hat takes them to meet some expert tower builders: the termites! After shrinking down to bug-size, they learn from Terry termite how to build a tower that won't wiggle and wobble. With some engineering tips from a termite, Sally and Nick can build their block tower higher than before! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#126H] Daniel Says I'm Sorry/The Royal Mudpies * Daniel Says I'm Sorry: Daniel, Katerina and Miss Elaina are playing cars at school, until Miss Elaina accidentally upsets Daniel. Teacher Harriet helps the children learn how to apologize to a friend. Later, when Daniel accidentally upsets Katerina, he knows just what he needs to do!
* The Royal Sand Pies: Daniel and Prince Wednesday are making sand pies in the sandbox. They decide to top off a sand pie with Prince Tuesday's royal crown, but they soon see that this wasn't such a good idea. They learn how to apologize to Prince Tuesday and make the situation better - by helping clean the crown and promising to ask first next time. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#508H] Caillou Learns Patience Rushing the Raspberry: Caillou is helping Mommy take care of a raspberry bush. When he promises to bring his preschool pals some raspberries, he realizes he needs to see his promise through. But it's hard waiting for berries to ripen, and it seems to take forever. When they do finally ripen, Caillou realizes good (and delicious!) things are worth waiting for. Educational Objective: Realizing good things are worth waiting for. Wait to Skate: Daddy is building an ice rink in the backyard, only Caillou can't wait to skate. When his impatience almost ruins the rink, Caillou realizes that things take time...and good things are worth waiting for. Educational Objective: The importance of having patience. Caillou's Hiccups: A spaghetti dinner (and a lot of giggling) result in Caillou getting the hiccups. Daddy thinks he knows how to cure them, and together, they embark on a series of hiccup-curing trials. But none of them see to work! Mommy insists the hiccups will go away on their own - as long as Caillou doesn't make a big deal of them... and she's right! Educational Objective: Don't make a mountain out of a molehill! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#607H] Feeling Antsy/Maple Monkey Madness * Feeling Antsy - George loves starting the day off with a big breakfast, but more food lands on the floor than in his mouth. As George cleans up his mess, he spots an army of ants, something the Man with the Yellow Hat warned his messy monkey about. With some help from his friend Hundley, can a monkey and dog come up with a plan to get rid of the unwelcome houseguests or does George have hundreds of new roommates?
* Maple Monkey Madness - George uses up all the maple syrup, leaving the Man with the Yellow Hat with a dry stack of flapjacks. George learns that maple syrup comes from trees, so he and Allie team up to replenish the Man's syrup supply. After tapping lots of trees, tasting bitter sap, and turning sap into syrup at the Renkins' sugar shack, George is finally able to bring home syrup for the Man...just in time for dinner! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#203H] Bounce/Timmy Tippy Toe * Bounce - Nick and Sally are wondering why their ball is so bouncy. Fish tells them it's because it's made from rubber, and rubber comes from trees. Cat doesn't believe him so it's time to ask the expert, Dr. Twiggles! It turns out Fish is right! And Dr. Twiggles shows them all just how rubber is made, and all the wonderful things rubber can make
* Timmy Tippy Toe - Nick and Sally are playing on a climbing frame but just can't manage to get to the top. Cat tries to show them how it's done but he can't do it either! Time to go see Timmy Tippy Toe, the Klipspringer who is an expert climber! Timmy teaches them to use their hands and their feet, and now they can reach the top of their own "mountain"! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amPeg + Cat [#113H] The Parade Problem/The Halloween Problem The Parade Problem - Park. Peg and Cat need to sort out recyclables to clean up the park in time for the nursery school's Halloween Parade. Primary Content: Sorting; Secondary Content: Estimating.
The Halloween Problem - Peg's Neighborhood. While trick or treating, Peg and Cat find themselves pursued by a metal monster. Later they teach fair sharing to a "friend" who turns out to be a real tiger! Primary Content: Fair Sharing; Secondary Content: Positional relationships (in front of/behind). duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#137H] Carla Cretoxyrhina/Train Trouble Carla Cretoxyrhina - On this underwater excursion, the Pteranodon family meets up with Carla Cretoxyrhina, a young shark who turns out to be much nicer than her reputation suggests. She introduces the family to her dad, bringing them face to face with the "Big Fish in the Sea." Train Trouble - The speedy dinosaur brothers Oren and Ollie join our kids on a train trip to Troodon Town, but unplanned engine trouble sends Oren and Ollie sprinting the Roundhouse to bring back another engine to save the day! duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#124] Who Me, Jealous?/A Bunny in a Haystack * Who Me, Jealous? - Mrs. Diller is babysitting her sister's puppy Susie. This house may not be big enough for both Susie and Cleo.
* A Bunny in a Haystack - Then, Emily gets to bring home the class bunny for the weekend and Clifford has been given the responsibility of watching him. When the bunny gets out of the cage, getting him back is tough! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:30 amClifford's Puppy Days [#121] Moving On/Fair Is Fair * Moving On - The Sidarskys are moving to a newer mouse hole around the corner. Clifford offers to help them move the big family clock when he comes back from lunch. But on the way back, he gets distracted. By the time he gets back to the laundry room, the Sidarskys have already moved, but things are chaotic because the baby can't sleep without that clock. Clifford feels bad for not being there to help, but he makes amends by moving the clock now and restoring harmony to the Sidarsky household.
* Fair is Fair - Emily Elizabeth and Nina volunteer to read to kids at the book fair, but problems arise when their replacements - Shun and Evan - don't show up in time.