TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED 9: Tuesday, January 14, 2014
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
2:10 amDickens' Secret Lover When 19th century British novelist Charles Dickens was 45 years old and married with 9 children, he met Nelly Ternan, an 18 year old actress with whom he fell hopelessly in love. Thus began an ongoing clandestine relationship that he kept secret for the rest of his life. This program reveals how this very public figure kept his private life secret via Byzantine financial arrangements, meticulously planned railway journeys, networks of safe-houses and the burning of personal papers and private letters. Ultimately, the strain of his double life resulted in a premature death for the highly gifted yet deeply troubled artist. duration 48:06 STEREO TVPG
3:00 amAntiques Roadshow [#1602H] Tulsa, OK - Hour Two In Tulsa, Oklahoma, once nicknamed the "Oil Capital of the World," host Mark L. Walberg joins appraiser Noel Barrett at the Woolaroc Museum & Wildlife Preserve to check out some vintage petroliana collectibles. Highlights include a 1960 first-edition To Kill a Mockingbird with an inscription by Harper Lee; a collection of bronzes that may or may not be Remingtons and Russells; and an extremely rare 1924 Gibson F-5 "Lloyd Loar" mandolin, stored in a farmhouse closet since the Great Depression, and valued at $175,000. duration 55:45 STEREO TVG
4:00 amPoisoner's Handbook: American Experience In the early 20th century, the average American medicine cabinet was a would-be poisoner's treasure chest. There was radioactive radium in health tonics, thallium in depilatory creams, morphine in teething medicine and potassium cyanide in cleaning supplies. While the tools of the murderer's trade multiplied as the pace of industrial innovation increased, the scientific knowledge (and the political will) to detect and prevent the crimes lagged behind. All this changed in 1918, when New York City hired its first scientifically- trained medical examiner Charles Norris. Over the course of a decade and a half, Norris and his extraordinarily driven and talented chief toxicologist, Alexander Gettler, would turn forensic chemistry into a formidable science, sending many a murder to the electric chair and setting the standards that the rest of the country would ultimately adopt. duration 1:55:16 STEREO TV14 (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:00 amPeg + Cat [#104H] The Three Bears Problem/The Giant Problem The Three Bears Problem - Fairytale Land. Peg and Cat bring the Three Bears, the Three Little Pigs, and the Three Billy Goats Gruff together to form a super group: "The Electric Eleven." Primary Content: Adding 1; Secondary Content: Counting to 11.
The Giant Problem - Giant Land. Peg and Cat must attempt a great escape when they think the Giants want to eat them and their 8 fairy tale friends for lunch. Primary Content: Combinations that add up to 10; Secondary Content: Circle. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#119H] Thump/Squirreled Away * Thump: Nick is trying to make his mother a surprise lunch, but she keeps coming into the kitchen! If only there was a way for him to know when she was coming. The Cat takes Nick and Sally to meet his friend Twitch the rabbit. Twitch and her bunnies teach Nick and Sally how to stop, look and listen. Now Sally that can warn Nick when his mom is coming, they're able to surprise her with lunch!
* Squirreled Away: Nick can't remember where he put his yo-yo. Cat offers to take the kids to meet his friend Bucky the Squirrel who is good at both hiding and finding things! Nick and Sally learn how to use markers to help them remember where they put things. Back at home Nick thinks like Bucky then is able to find his yo-yo! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#121H] You Are Special/Daniel Is Special * You are Special: The children are putting on a show at school today, each doing something that makes them special. O the Owl wants to be just like the others and, with a little encouragement, he learns that owls are special too.
* Daniel is Special: Daniel and Dad take a fall walk through the neighborhood, admiring the colors of the leaves. On their way, they meet Miss Elaina and O the Owl who each do special things that make Daniel wonder if he is as special as they are. Dad reminds Daniel of the things that make him special, like his whimsical imagination! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#427] Knowing How Caillou learns the value of determination and the benefits of success! When Mom drives Sarah to her skating lesson, Caillou decides he wants to take skating lessons too! But the lessons are harder than Caillou expected, and if it weren't for the neato Zamboni, Caillou might not have gone back. When an invitation for Clementine's party accidentally ends up at Sarah's, Caillou learns the differences between the addresses of the two homes. Later, when Clementine tells Caillou how much she likes her older brother, Billy, to teach her things, Caillou sets out to teach something to Rosie. But this proves harder than Caillou thought, until Mom suggests he try the A-B-C song! Also, when Caillou's dawdling causes he, Mom and Rosie to be late going to the park, they end up missing Leo. So Dad suggests they make a game out of not dawdling, by using an egg timer for Caillou to race against when he gets ready for bed. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
8:00 amCurious George [#605H] Hamster Cam/The Great Monkey Detective * Hamster Cam - Steve's pet hamster, Hogie, is on the loose in the city streets with nothing but a small video camera tied to his back. George helps Steve track his whereabouts using clues from the hamster cam and his best monkeyish map-reading skills. But can a monkey with a map keep up with a hamster on the run?
* The Great Monkey Detective - It's mystery movie night at Chef Pisghetti's restaurant. But the big mystery really begins when Chef Pisghetti's cookbook suddenly vanishes! A fan of Detective Basil Know-it-All, George understands that clues are the key to solving a mystery. Will George be able to crack the case of the missing cookbook or will this mystery remain unsolved? duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#120H] Pick Your Friends/ Finola's Farm * Finola's Farm: Nick and Sally are trying to have breakfast but have run out of milk. The Cat arrives to take them to Finola's Farm to have breakfast with Finola. First they learn how to milk a cow, then they discover that cows milk can be made into butter and cheese and best of all - ice cream!
* Pick Your Friends: It's Valentine's Day and Nick and Sally can't agree on how to decorate the card they're making for Cat. Does this mean they aren't really best friends? Cat takes them to meet Sheldon, a tortoise who knows all about friendship. They learn that Sheldon's best friend is completely different than he is and that being best friends doesn't mean you always have to agree. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amPeg + Cat [#110H] The Race Car Problem/The Big Gig Problem The Race Car Problem - Junk Yard/Race Track Stadium. Peg and Cat rebuild their homemade race car, "Hot Buttered Lightnin'," to compete in the Talla-peg-a 20 race. Primary Content: More than, less than; Secondary Content: Solid shapes.
The Big Gig Problem - The Farm. Peg and Cat need to round up the missing members of their touring band, the Electric Eleven, in time for their big gig for 100 chickens. Primary Content: Counting backwards from 11; Secondary Content: Deductive reasoning, the 20s. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#226H] Dinosaur Train Submarine: A Sea Turtle Tale/Rocket Train Our Pteranodon family is on the beach watching small eggs hatch and baby Archelon turtles emerge, and start to swim away. Our family and Mr. Conductor get into the Dinosaur Train Submarine and follow the baby Archelons who discover their own facts of nature - that their mother doesn't stay with them after they're born, and that they will grow up to be giant-sized sea turtles. Tiny and Buddy find out that a newer train will be riding the same tracks as the Dinosaur Train. The new train is called the Rocket Train, and its conductor is named Thurston Troodon, who was a former classmate and rival of Mr. Conductor. Thurston is very confident and boasts that the Rocket Train is newer, better, and faster than the "old Dinosaur Train." Mrs. Troodon, Thurston, and Mr. Conductor's old teacher, suggests a friendly train race. With Tiny and Buddy on board, the "old" Dinosaur Train ends up helping out Thurston and the new Rocket Train after it breaks down. duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#122] The Big Sleepover/Dog for a Day *The Big Sleepover - Emily has to go out of town for the day without Clifford so he spends the day with Charley. He misses Emily so much that his howling wakes the whole town. Their solution is to join him for a sleepover on the beach.
* Dog for a Day - Charley is envious of the carefree lives that Clifford and the other dogs live. He thinks differently after dreaming that he is a Dog For A Day. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:30 amClifford's Puppy Days [#119] Fall Feast/Norville's New Game * Fall Feast - It's the Fall Feast holiday and the Howards are planning to visit Emily Elizabeth's grandparents. But a huge snow storm leaves them snowed in at the train station, along with many of their friends and neighbors. At first, everyone's spirits are very low but Clifford helps Emily Elizabeth realize that the group can celebrate the Fall Feast together and rejoice in its spirit of sharing.
* Norville's New Game - The animals are in the courtyard making up games. When it's Norville's turn to invent a game he consistently reinvents the rules so that each time emerges as the winner. Each time this happens, he further alienates his friends until they eventually refuse to play with him anymore. In the end, Norville realizes the importance of playing fair.