TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
Please Note: As of July 1, 2011, KTEH has been renamed
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED 9: Friday, February 22, 2013
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amCharlie Rose [#19044] (original broadcast date: 02/21/13)
* Steven Brill on his Time Magazine cover story "Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills are Killing Us."
* Nicolas Berggruen, co-author of "Intelligent Governance for the 21st Century - A Middle Way between West and East." duration 56:47 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amNightly Business Report [#32057Z] Stocks weren't the only investments falling today. NBR's Erika Miller takes look at what's at the root of the commodities sell-off and whether it will continue. The White House is threatening to use trade enforcement authority and sanctions to punish nations that steal U.S. trade secrets. NBR's Darren Gersh has the latest on the challenges of getting tough on cyber thieves. And, one bright spot in the lackluster economy has been auto sales. NBR's Ruben Ramirez looks at whether that demand holds the potential for more jobs in the auto sector. duration 26:46 STEREO TVRE
1:30 amSaving the Bay [#101X] Marvel of Nature (Prehistory-1848) / Harbor of Harbors (1849-1906 In the first episode, photo-realistic animation illustrates the formation of the Bay following the last Ice Age. It introduces the first inhabitants along the Bay's shores, including Native Peoples along with flora and fauna, and continues through European exploration and settlement, including Spanish, Russian and ultimately, American influences that dramatically altered the region. duration 1:28:28 STEREO TVG
2:43 amSaving the Bay [#102] Harbor of Harbors (1849-1906) This episode follows San Francisco's "rapid monstrous maturity" into a major metropolis following the California Gold Rush. Establishing the infrastructure to support the instant city meant radical change for San Francisco Bay. By the century's end, San Francisco Bay was the center of a broad economic empire on the Pacific. duration 56:42 STEREO TVG
4:00 amSaving the Bay [#103(] Miracle Workers (1906 - 1959) / Bay in the Balance (1906 - Present) This episode begins with The Great Earthquake and Fire of 1906, which accelerated the dispersion of people and industry to the East Bay region. Advances in engineering gave rise to the first of California's massive water re-distribution projects, paralleling the era of great bridge building. World War II saw the Bay transformed into the greatest shipbuilding center the world had ever known. duration 1:29:59 STEREO TVG
5:00 amSaving the Bay [#104H] Bay in the Balance (1906 - Present) In the final episode, the very survival of the Bay is threatened by the postwar boom. Viewers are introduced to the leaders of the Save the Bay campaign of the 1960s and the birth of the national mass environmental movement. As the Bay Area looks to the future, the issue becomes how best to balance the competing demands of a major urban center set amidst an environmentally significant landscape. duration 56:33 STEREO TVG
6:00 amRaggs [#142] Forest During Funky Forest Friday, the dogs help Pido tell the story of Little Red Riding Pup. When Trilby wants to go camping, the dogs pretend their garden is a forest for camping. Together, they figure out all the things they would need to bring for a successful camping trip. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#205H] Meet The Beetles/Tongue Tied * Meet the Beetles - Nick and Sally must protect their cookie jar from cookie snatchers! But how? Well by meeting three of the Cat's beetle friends, that's how! Stan the Giant Stag beetle shows them how to look scary, while Cliff the Click beetle teaches them to make a noise them jump! And Bobbi the Bombardier beetle has a stinky surprise for those that try to sneak up on her. Now Nick and Sally can keep their cookies safe!
* Tongue Tied - Mmm, there's nothing better than a blueberry popsicle, even though it makes your tongue blue! Speaking of tongues, the Cat has some friends with marvelous tongues! The kids meet Treetop Tom and see how his tough tongue can pick food off of thorny branches. Then Snifty the boa snake shows them how she uses her tongue to smell.And by using Cat's "Not-So-Fast-Glasses", they can see Colin the chameleon's lightening fast tongue get him his food. Nick and Sally realize that their tongues are pretty useful too.. for asking for another popsicle! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#101H] Daniel's Birthday/Daniel's Picnic Daniel's Birthday - It's Daniel's Birthday! Daniel is very excited to go to Baker Aker's Bakery with his mom to pick out a cake for his party. When they arrive home after a bumpy ride on Trolley, Daniel is disappointed to find that his cake is smushed. It turns out...smushed cake is yummy too! Daniel's Picnic - Daniel, Prince Wednesday and Miss Elaina are having a picnic in front of the clock factory. When it starts to rain, the picnic is ruined, leaving them very disappointed. The friends turn this around by having their picnic inside the clock factory instead. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#309] Caillou The Explorer * Caillou of the Antarctic - Caillou is playing with Jeffrey and Jason when he gets accidentally pushed down. He is a little upset about it until he realizes it was an accident. Since it's so hot out Daddy treats them to ice cream and Caillou imagines he's down at the cool cool south pole playing with the penguins!
* Deep Sea Caillou - There's a new girl named Lee Wun in playschool, but she's so shy she won't talk to anybody. Miss Martin brings in a fish tank to show the class. After imagining he's a tiny deep sea diver swimming in the fishtank, Caillou discovers that Lee Wun knows a lot about fish! Encouraged to tell the others what she knows, Lee Wun is able to start making new friends.
* Caillou in the Bayou - The whole family is on the way to the beach but accidentally end up on a trail through a swamp. Caillou is disappointed, he doesn't think a swamp could be very interesting, until he takes a closer look at the creatures who live there. He imagines he's in the Bayou searching for alligators. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#606] Wind Symphony/George and Allie's Automated Car Wash * Wind Symphony - George is an expert at making noise, so Mr. Zoobel asks for his help in creating a one-of-a-kind rooftop Wind Symphony. George and Zoobel listen closely to the different sounds of everyday objects, whether it's banging pots, clinking silverware, or flapping laundry, and find the perfect instruments for a wind-powered orchestra. But as the crowd gathers below, the promised wind isn't arriving and George has to think of a way to save the day.
* George and Allie's Automated Car Wash - Spish! Spish! Blub blub! George and Allie are so impressed by Sprint Quint's automatic car wash that they decide to build their own...for toy cars! Remembering each stage of the car wash by the sound it makes, George and Allie assemble picnic benches, slippers, car mats, paint rollers and other everyday objects into a one-of-a-kind automatic toy wash. But will it be as successful as the full-sized car wash? duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#206H] Manatees and Mermaids/The Last Chocolate * Manatees and Mermaids - Sally and Nick are pretending to swim, but why not go for a real swim asks the Cat! Off to the Glippydrippy Gulf to meet Matilda the Manatee and her son Marlin. Matilda and Marlon teach their guests how to swim slowly and gracefully. Until they hear the sound of a boat motor! Those can be dangerous for manatees, but luckily the Cat, Nick and Sally help their new friends to stay safe. And when they get back home, Nick and Sally will be sure to tell everyone to "Slow down for manatees!"
* The Last Chocolate - Only two chocolates left in the whole box, what a great present for Nick and Sally's Moms. That is until The Cat excitedly eats them! Oh no! How are they going to find more chocolate to give to their moms? Why a trip to visit Princess Lottachoca in the Cocoalicious Forest will help them! There, the Princess teaches Nick and Sally the chocolate-making song and they help to pick the beans, roast them, and to heat the juice and add sugar. And then, pouring the hot liquid into moulds of any shape. Now that the chocolate has cooled, it's time to go home and surprise their moms! Educational Objective: The process of how chocolate is made from the humble cocoa bean - by picking the beans, drying them, roasting them and then crushing them to get the juice, then adding sugar while you heat it, pour it into a mould and cool it. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amSuper Why! [#212H] Monty's Adventures In Music Town And a 1, and a 2 and a 1, 2, 3! The kids are playing in the school band, but Red doesn't know what instrument to play! The super readers soar into the book Monty's Adventures in Music Town and meet a loveable monster named Monty who has the very same problem. Will the super readers be able to help Monty pick an instrument before the big show, or will their efforts fall flat? Educational Objectives: To learn some basic music concepts. Young viewers will catch the alphabet, rhyme with OW words, find out what the word "woodwind" means, and use the power to read to change the story. duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#226H] Dinosaur Train Submarine: A Sea Turtle Tale/Rocket Train Our Pteranodon family is on the beach watching small eggs hatch and baby Archelon turtles emerge, and start to swim away. Our family and Mr. Conductor get into the Dinosaur Train Submarine and follow the baby Archelons who discover their own facts of nature - that their mother doesn't stay with them after they're born, and that they will grow up to be giant-sized sea turtles. Tiny and Buddy find out that a newer train will be riding the same tracks as the Dinosaur Train. The new train is called the Rocket Train, and its conductor is named Thurston Troodon, who was a former classmate and rival of Mr. Conductor. Thurston is very confident and boasts that the Rocket Train is newer, better, and faster than the "old Dinosaur Train." Mrs. Troodon, Thurston, and Mr. Conductor's old teacher, suggests a friendly train race. With Tiny and Buddy on board, the "old" Dinosaur Train ends up helping out Thurston and the new Rocket Train after it breaks down. duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#213] Special T-Bone/Jetta's Sneak Peek * Special T-Bone - Clifford's Big Idea: Believe in Yourself.
When Emily Elizabeth starts work on a project titled "What Makes Me Special," it gets all the dogs thinking about what makes them special. T-Bone isn't quite sure, but soon discovers that he has a special gift for making others feel good.
* Jetta's Sneak Peek -Clifford's Big Idea: Be Respectful.
Jetta can't resist reading Emily Elizabeth's journal, but soon learns that it's important to respect someone's privacy. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:30 amClifford's Puppy Days [#124] Lights, Camera, Action/Basketball Babysitter * Lights, Camera, Action - Inspired by a classroom visit by Ken Burns, Emily Elizabeth, Nina and Shun try to make a documentary highlighting people in their neighborhood. But they're so busy trying to do their jobs that they don't realize how they're messing up their interviews. After they learn a lesson from Clifford about having respect for others, they make a successful documentary.
* Basketball Babysitter - Evan get tickets to see his hero, Allan Houston, play basketball, and he's really excited. Emily Elizabeth and Clifford come along, and they strike up a friendship with Allan Houston's daughter, Remie, and her beagle puppy, Hoops. Evan winds up babysitting for Remie and Hoops during the game. He's happy to do it, but he winds up missing most of the game. But he's a good sport about it, and when Allan Houston makes it up to him by playing some one-on-one basketball with him - it's his dream come true!