TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
KQED 9: Friday, September 7, 2012
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amCharlie Rose [#18184H] (original broadcast date: 9/06/12)
continued political analysis at the Democratic National Convention with David Brooks of The New York Times; William Daley, former White House Chief of Staff; John Heilemann of New York Magazine, Maggie Haberman of Politico, and Mark Halperin of Time Magazine. duration 56:46 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amAntiques Roadshow [#1415H] Phoenix, AZ - Hour Three Mark L. Walberg and appraiser Natalie Linn visit the Heard Museum to discuss American Indian basketry. Valuable find: A violin made by the Gagliano family in Naples in the early 1800s and a violin bow made in France in the shop of Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume - the pair estimated to be worth between $72,000 and $94,000. duration 56:46 STEREO TVG
2:00 amAmerican Masters [#1704] Judy Garland: By Myself Judy Garland had one of the most photographed faces ever to come out of Hollywood - it is stamped as a virtual imprint on our imaginations, a celluloid image frozen in time. She also had one of the most frequently recorded voices of the last century. She was magic, almost mythical. She is as iconic as she is misunderstood. There were her problems, to be sure, but the proof is in the performances, from The Wizard of Oz to the Palladium, from the Oscars to the Grammies. With singular entree to the MGM library, including vaulted screen tests and rehearsal footage, the film is wrapped in Judy's voice, actually telling her story in her own words. So many outsiders have tried to tell this story and so many friends and family have weighed in - now Judy gets center stage, all to herself. This is her ultimate comeback. duration 1:56:46 STEREO TVPG
4:00 amJudy Garland: The Concert Years Lorna Luft narrates this documentary focusing on her mother's "second career" following her years at MGM. The retrospective collects comments from family and colleagues, full performances from concerts at the London Palladium, Carnegie Hall, and the Palace Theater, a previously unseen 30-second scene cut from her famous comeback film, A Star Is Born, and scenes from her short-lived TV show. duration 1:26:39 STEREO TVG
5:30 amImageMakers [#907H] That's My Boy FRANSWA SHARL - Australia
Twelve year old Greg has inherited his macho father's competitive streak and needs to be the center of attention. On a family holiday in Fiji they have different ideas about what it takes to be a man. When his behavior fails to amuse his father, Greg set out to win him back while still staying true to himself. Greg shows that remaining the "#1 Son" requires a certain amount of ingenuity. Director Hannah Hilliard's humorous tale is based on a true story and won the top prize at the Berlin Film Festival. Principal cast: Callan Mc Auliffe?,Ivy Latimer, John Batchelor and Steve Le Marquand?.
A precocious young boy plays with toy paratroopers in his front yard and witnesses a man and a woman engaged in an extramarital affair. He confronts the man, and after an awkward beginning, and a little adventure at the mini-mart, they develop an unlikely friendship. Directed by Paul Grellong and Lucas Fleischer. Principal cast: Lucas Fleischer, Brandon Ratcliffe, Tara Karsian and Emily Kosloski. duration 26:03 STEREO TVG
6:00 amRaggs [#142H] Forest During Funky Forest Friday, the dogs help Pido tell the story of Little Red Riding Pup. When Trilby wants to go camping, the dogs pretend their garden is a forest for camping. Together, they figure out all the things they would need to bring for a successful camping trip. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#106H] Dress Up Day/Bathtime * Dress Up Day - Nick and Sally are playing dress up, but oh no! Sally's princess dress has torn, and mom doesn't have any silk thread to fix it. Cat takes them to his good friend Mindy, the silk caterpillar. Mindy shows them how she makes silk. Sally uses the silk thread to fix her swirly twirly princess dress!
* Bathtime - Nick and Sally have been playing in the mud, and now they need to get clean! The Cat in the Hat knows some friends who have some very wonderful ways to bathe! In Bana Bana Savanah, they meet three different animals who all keep clean in very different ways. Even though it was fun to try bathing how the animals do, Sally and Nick decide that good old soap and water works best for them! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#105H] Prince Wednesday Finds A Way To Play/Finding A Way To Play On Backwards Day Prince Wednesday Finds a Way to Play - Daniel and Katerina Kittycat are playing "house" today at school. Prince Wednesday wants to play too, but he wants to be a loud dinosaur. Katerina tells him that loud dinosaurs are not allowed! Luckily, they find a way to play together with Prince Wednesday as a quiet, friendly dinosaur. Finding a Way to Play on Backwards Day - Daniel and O the Owl are at Miss Elaina's house and she has planned a backwards play date. O isn't so sure about all of the backwards things and prefers to play forwards. The friends learn to compromise so everyone can play together. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#307] Caillou The Musician * Caillou Plays the Drums - Clementine's big brother Billy has a new drum set and is having lots of fun playing as loud as he can. He won't let Clementine and Caillou play his drums though, because he says they're not grown up enough. The two friends set out to prove him wrong, and once they put on their 'grownup costumes' he finally relents and lets them play. Caillou pretends he's a rock and roll drummer playing a big drum solo!
* Caillou's Marching Band - Caillou and his friends are very excited when a real marching band goes by the playschool. They decide they want to be in a marching band too. The kids find some makeshift instruments in the classroom, and Emma makes them matching band hats. After a shaky start, Caillou leads the others by beating on his drum and they march around the schoolyard like a real marching band.
* Caillou Sings - The playschool is having a talent show and Caillou wants to sing a song, but Clementine beats him to the punch, picking the exact song he wanted to sing. When it turns out she's having trouble remembering all the words, Caillou suggests they work together and the resulting song-and-dance routine is the hit of the show! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#120] The Clean, Perfect Yellow Hat/Bee Is for Bear * The Clean, Perfect Yellow Hat -The yellow hat comes back from the dry cleaners so beautiful and clean that George can't help wanting to show it off to Compass the pigeon. But a little wind and an errant branch create a hole that needs to be fixed before The Man with the Yellow Hat comes home and finds it.
* Bee is for Bear - While exploring the country, George meets up with a baby bear and a stinging bee. No one believes that George has seen a bear, but they do try to help George learn more about bees. It takes a helping hand from the baby bear to save the bunnies from the bees and to prove to everyone that George knows a bear when he sees one. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#107H] Trees Company/Now You See Me * Trees Company - Sally and Nick are playing up in their treehouse when Nick's mom calls them for lunch. Nick wonders what it would be like to stay up in that tree all the time! The Cat in the Hat knows! Or at least he has friends that do. In Jimmer Jammer Jungle the kids learn how different animals spend their entire lives in trees. As neat as that is, there's one thing those trees don't have, and that's mom's home cooking!
* Now You See Me - Nick and Sally are playing hide and go seek, but Sally keeps getting found! The Cat takes the kids to meet the best hider ever, his friend Gecko! Through a game of hide and go seek in the jungle, the kids learn how Gecko not only hides, but how he runs and climbs. Now Sally knows how to camouflage herself so she won't be so easily found! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amSuper Why! [#141Z] Snow White The super fun Storybrook Carnival is in town, and Princess Pea is enjoying lots of yummy treats until she gets a terrible tummy ache! When Goldilocks offers her some popcorn, Princess Pea knows she should refuse, but she really wants to eat just a little. The Super Readers fly into the story of Snow White as the wicked queen tempts the fairytale princess with that infamous apple. Will the Super Readers be able to stop Snow White from taking the bait before Snow White ends up with something much worse than a stomachache? Educational Objectives: To learn about thinking for yourself. Young viewers will practice the alphabet, identify the letters D,O,W,N, rhyme with EED words and use the power to read to change the story. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#114] The Theropod Club/Surprise Party * The Theropod Club - Buddy's Theropod Club meets with other dinosaurs that walk on two legs, eat meat, and have three toed feet. But Tiny feels left out until the Club invites her to join too!
* Surprise Party - Shiny, Tiny and Don throw a surprise party for Buddy on the Dinosaur Train and invite a whole caboose full of his friends! duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#101] My Best Friend/Cleo's Fair Share * My Best Friend - Emily decides she must find something "special" for Show and Tell. After an exhaustive search of Birdwell Island for the perfect thing, she learns that sometimes the best things in life are right under your nose.
* Cleo's Fair Share - Cleo gets a new toy and doesn't want to share it. She soon learns that it's not so much fun playing with a new toy without your friends. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:30 amClifford's Puppy Days [#122] Grooming Gloom/The Letter * Grooming Gloom" - Jorge is excited to learn that Nina will be taking him to the Grooming Shop - until he gets some misinformation about what a grooming shop is. At first his friends try to help him find a way to get out of the experience. But Daffodil helps him realize that he should trust Nina to do what is best for him.
* The Letter - Evan and Emily Elizabeth offer to mail a letter for Mr. Solomon on their way to buy tickets to a concert by their favorite band, the Zippers. But the kids' plans are disrupted by their own generosity and helpful nature. When they finally arrive at the park where the concert is taking place, the tickets have been sold out. But the other members of the community are so grateful to the kids for all of their help that day that they all pitch in and make sure that Evan and Emily Elizabeth attend the concert.