TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
Please Note: As of July 1, 2011, KTEH has been renamed
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED 9: Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amCharlie Rose [#20062] (original broadcast date: 3/18/14)
* Simon Schama on his multimedia account of Jewish history called "The Story of the Jews: Finding the Words"
* Cardinal Timothy Dolan on Pope Francis' first year as head of the Roman Catholic church
* chef Ferran Adria on his book 'elBulli 2005-2011' duration 56:47 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amNightly Business Report [#33055] Tonight on Nightly Business Report, America's retirement crisis. One-third of workers have less than $1,000 saved for their later years. What can be done to get people saving? And, what's behind Microsoft's stock pop today and is it a sign of more things to come under the new CEO? duration 26:46 STEREO TVG (Secondary audio: none)
1:30 amSpark! [#702] Nagle, Sano, and Birk * Spark looks at the legacy of modern dance pioneer and San Francisco native Isadora Duncan, whose radical ideas about the art form changed the way the world perceived dance. One of her biggest fans is Mary Sano, who came to the Bay Area from her native Japan to dedicate her life to the preservation of Duncan's work.
* Next, ever wondered what ceramics has in common with rock and roll? You might want to ask Ron Nagle, whose been making both for more than 30 years.
* Then, visual artist Sandow Birk takes puppetry to a whole new level in his filmic adaptation of Dante's epic "The Divine Comedy". duration 27:59 STEREO TVG
2:00 amJohn D. Rockefeller: American Experience For decades, the Rockefeller name was despised in America - associated with John D. Rockefeller Sr.'s feared monopoly, Standard Oil. By the end of his life, Rockefeller had given away half his fortune - but even his vast philanthropy could not erase the memory of his predatory business practices. His only son, John D. Rockefeller Jr., would dedicate his life to recasting the family image. In the quest for redemption and respectability, Junior would give away hundreds of millions of dollars, and would insist that his six children behave impeccably. Their contributions transformed America. When he died at age 86, Junior left his six children and 22 grandchildren an invaluable inheritance: a name that stood not for corporate greed, but for "the well-being of mankind." This episode was derived from the original series "The Rockefellers." duration 1:55:46 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: DVI)
4:00 amFrontline [#3111H] Rape in the Fields For the women who pick and process the food we eat every day, getting sexually assaulted, and even raped, is sometimes part of the job. Frontline and Univision partner to tell the story of the hidden price many migrant women working in America's fields and packing plants pay to stay employed and provide for their families. This investigation is the result of a yearlong reporting effort by veteran correspondent Lowell Bergman, the Investigative Reporting Program at UC Berkeley and the Center for Investigative Reporting. duration 56:46 STEREO TV14
5:00 amRebel: Voces Special Presentation [#105H] Loreta Janeta Valazquez Explore the mysterious true story of Loreta Velazquez, a Cuban immigrant who was one of the estimated 1000 women who secretly served as soldiers during the Civil War. Why has her story been erased from the history books? duration 56:46 STEREO TVPG
6:00 amPeg + Cat [#104H] The Three Bears Problem/The Giant Problem The Three Bears Problem - Fairytale Land. Peg and Cat bring the Three Bears, the Three Little Pigs, and the Three Billy Goats Gruff together to form a super group: "The Electric Eleven." Primary Content: Adding 1; Secondary Content: Counting to 11.
The Giant Problem - Giant Land. Peg and Cat must attempt a great escape when they think the Giants want to eat them and their 8 fairy tale friends for lunch. Primary Content: Combinations that add up to 10; Secondary Content: Circle. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#105H] Flower Power/Snowman's Land * Flower Power - Sally's mom has a cold, so Sally wants to pick her some colorful flowers to make her feel better. The Cat in the Hat takes Nick and Sally to the forest of Flora-Fah-Zoom where they meet three different creatures that all depend on flowers to live. Sally decides to make her mother a picture of their adventure in Flora-Fah-Zoom instead of picking a flower that animals need in order to survive.
* Snowman's Land - Sally and Nick have just finished making a statue of the Cat in the Hat out of snow, but he's starting to melt! Good thing Cat knows where to take the melting snowcat: to the cold and snowy north! In the arctic, the kids skate on a frozen lake, make snow sculptures, and learn that water can freeze and melt when it's cold or warm outside. Because it's getting warmer back home, they leave their snowcat sculpture there so they can come back and visit him! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#140H] Someone Else's Feelings/Empathy at School Daniel Learns about Empathy: Daniel and O the Owl are pretending to be handymen, using their toy tools to make "repairs" to Daniel's playhouse. Daniel is having lots of fun hammering loudly, but it's upsetting O, who would rather do something quieter. Daniel loves hammering so much that it's hard for him to see why it upsets O. Mom helps Daniel be empathetic and think about how O is feeling: Daniel remembers a time when he was upset because Miss Elaina was being way too loud for him. He doesn't want O to feel this way, and realizes that they can both have fun as quiet handymen! Empathy at School: Chrissie and Daniel are playing together at school today, but when Chrissie loses her special bracelet, she doesn't feel like playing anymore. Daniel has trouble understanding why until Teacher Harriet shows him how to be empathetic and think about how Chrissie may be feeling. Daniel remembers just how worried he was when he thought he had lost Tigey, and decides to stop playing and help find the bracelet. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#308] Caillou The Magnificent * Show and Tell - Caillou has to decide on a nice surprise to bring to playschool for Show and Tell. The only problem is, he can't decide between his toy dinosaur Rexy, his kite, or his toy firetruck. However, when Rosie proves to be the best at surprising everyone, Caillou decides to bring his little sister for Show and Tell.
* Caillou the Magician - Grandma shows Caillou a simple magic trick, which makes him decide to be a magician. After finding a suitable costume, he practices a new trick - making Rosie disappear! When the time comes to show Mommy and Daddy their trick, Caillou finds that making Rosie reappear might be a challenge, especially when Gilbert gets in the way!
* Caillou's Castle - Caillou wants to play castles and dragons, even though Gilbert isn't very keen on playing the dragon. Mommy asks him to share and play nicely with his sister, so Caillou and Rosie build their very own castle out of empty cardboard boxes. When Gilbert doesn't want to be the dragon, Mommy and Daddy volunteer for the part and everyone has lots of fun playing make believe. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#315] Movie House Monkey/Cooking with Monkey * Movie House Monkey - The Man with the Yellow Hat and George decide to rescue a beloved old bijou theatre from being replaced by a self-cleaning parking lot. If they can show Mr. Glass a truly "unique" experience, he promises to save the theatre from being demolished. So, with the Doorman and Hundley's help, they restore the theater to its original pristine beauty and organize a special screening of Mr. Glass's favorite movie. All goes well until the music gets jumbled, the film breaks, and a popcorn explosion accompanies a volcanic eruption on screen! The show must go on, and George saves the day by taking matters (and shadow puppets) into his own hands. Surely Mr. Glass can't say this wasn't unique!
* Cooking with Monkey - Professor Wiseman proudly presents a cake for the fire station barbecue, but when the cake bends a knife and proves to be extra sticky, everyone is astonished. Embarrassed, Wiseman explains that she will be "extra creative" for the bake sale. Bake sale? George needs to find out what's wrong with Wiseman's cooking, fast! Even with George's help finding the right cooking tools, Wiseman's next attempt proves to be another culinary disaster. Wiseman visits the restaurant to purchase something for the bake sale, and is stunned to see Chef Pisghetti cooking from a recipe. Wasn't cooking supposed to be creative? The Chef explains that a recipe is just like a scientific formula. Eureka! The rest is a piece of cake. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#107H] Trees Company/Now You See Me * Trees Company - Sally and Nick are playing up in their treehouse when Nick's mom calls them for lunch. Nick wonders what it would be like to stay up in that tree all the time! The Cat in the Hat knows! Or at least he has friends that do. In Jimmer Jammer Jungle the kids learn how different animals spend their entire lives in trees. As neat as that is, there's one thing those trees don't have, and that's mom's home cooking!
* Now You See Me - Nick and Sally are playing hide and go seek, but Sally keeps getting found! The Cat takes the kids to meet the best hider ever, his friend Gecko! Through a game of hide and go seek in the jungle, the kids learn how Gecko not only hides, but how he runs and climbs. Now Sally knows how to camouflage herself so she won't be so easily found! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amPeg + Cat [#109H] The Honey Problem/The Penguin Problem The Honey Problem - Peg's Pizza Place. The 3 Bees will produce honey for Peg and Cat's super-popular honey cake - but only if Peg and Cat will dance for the Bees in a certain pattern! Primary Content: Weight.
The Penguin Problem - The South Pole. Peg and Cat coach a team of skiing penguins, who would have a shot at the Olympic gold medal if only they knew "over," "under," and "in between." Primary Content: Over, under, in between; Secondary Content: Balance. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#108H] One Big Dinosaur/Play Date with Annie * One Big Dinosaur - Tiny and Buddy visit a dinosaur family called Argentinosaurus, some of the biggest land creatures ever! The kids find out there are great things about being really big, and that it's also great being their own size.
* Play Date with Annie - Buddy is excited that his friend Annie Tyrannosaurus is coming to the Pteranodon nest to visit and play with them. After Tiny feels left out, Buddy and Annie show her that they can all be friends! duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#226] Clifford's Big Heart/Cleo's Valentine Surprise * Clifford looks for the biggest and reddest Valentine's Day present for Emily Elizabeth. He first picks up a truck and then dog bone art work. He soon learns that he is the best gift!
* The dog gang is celebrating Valentine's Day. Cleo has been hiding dog bones and red bows all around town in order to surprise Clifford and T-Bone with the best present. Yet Cleo is really hoping that her friends have gotten her something just as good. Cleo soon learns that giving is sometimes better than receiving.