TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED 9: Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Channels 9.1 • 54.2, 25.1 | XFINITY 9 and HD 709
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amCharlie Rose [#20017H] (original broadcast date: 01/14/2014)
Robert Gates, former Secretary of Defense, discusses his book "DUTY: Memoirs of a Secretary at War" duration 56:46 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amNightly Business Report [#33010H] Tonight on Nightly Business Report, stocks snap back from yesterday's steep losses as two of the nation's biggest banks report earnings. And, a legal ruling handed down today that could change the economics of the internet and impact anyone who logs on and clicks. duration 26:46 STEREO TVG
1:30 amSpark! [#408] In Respect of Nature Our natural world provides lots of artistic inspiration. Spark visits artists who work in respect of nature.
* Photographer Roman Loranc has spent years documenting the Central Valley landscape with a loving eye.
* Li Huayi from the first generation of Chinese Cultural Revolution artists, reinvigorates Chinese landscape painting with his modern abstract vision.
* Bill Dan, also known as "The Rock Man of Crissy Field," balances rocks for all to contemplate.
* Then Gregory Gavin builds temporary creeks in public spaces called "Riveropolis." duration 28:19 STEREO TVG
2:00 am1964: American Experience It was the year of the Beatles and the Civil Rights Act; of the Gulf of Tonkin and Barry Goldwater's campaign for the presidency; the year that Americans learned smoking was bad for their health and Cassius Clay became Muhammad Ali; the year that cities across the country erupted in violence and Americans tried to make sense of the assassination of their president.
Based on The Last Innocent Year: America in 1964, by award-winning journalist Jon Margolis, this film follows some of the most prominent figures of the time - Lyndon B. Johnson, Martin Luther King, Jr., Barry Goldwater, Betty Friedan - and bring out from the shadows the actions of ordinary Americans whose frustrations, ambitions, and anxieties began to turn the country onto a different course. duration 1:55:16 STEREO TVPG-L (Secondary audio: DVI)
4:00 amFrontline [#3206H] Secret State of North Korea Just two years in the job and armed with nuclear weapons, North Korea's Kim Jong-Un is the world's youngest dictator, ruling one of the world's most isolated countries. Like his father and grandfather, he wants to maintain tight control over what North Koreans see of the world - and what the world sees of North Korea. But with unique access, Frontline goes inside the secret state to explore life under its new ruler, and investigate the enigmatic "Morning Star King" as he tries to hold onto power. Using new footage smuggled from inside and never-before-told stories from recent defectors living in South Korea, the film offers a rare glimpse of how some North Koreans are defying authority in a country where just being caught with illegal DVDs could mean immediate imprisonment. duration 56:46 STEREO TVRE
5:00 amUnlikely Heroes of the Arab Spring Explore the little known economic conditions that unify the entire Middle East and have led to the regional turmoil that continues today with award-winning economist, author and property rights activist Hernando de Soto. duration 56:46 STEREO TVG
6:00 amPeg + Cat [#106] The Birthday Cake Problem/The Doohickey Problem The Birthday Cake Problem - Peg's Pizza Place. Peg and Cat make a rockin' birthday cake for Jonah and his friends the Teens, but first they need to figure out how old he is going to be. Primary Content: The teen numbers. The Doohickey Problem - The Purple Planet. When their space ship is smashed, Peg and Cat must reassemble its variously shaped parts, and retrieve sixteen stolen doohickeys. Primary Content: Patterns; Secondary Content: Shapes, the number 16. duration 28:55 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#120H] Pick Your Friends/ Finola's Farm * Finola's Farm: Nick and Sally are trying to have breakfast but have run out of milk. The Cat arrives to take them to Finola's Farm to have breakfast with Finola. First they learn how to milk a cow, then they discover that cows milk can be made into butter and cheese and best of all - ice cream!
* Pick Your Friends: It's Valentine's Day and Nick and Sally can't agree on how to decorate the card they're making for Cat. Does this mean they aren't really best friends? Cat takes them to meet Sheldon, a tortoise who knows all about friendship. They learn that Sheldon's best friend is completely different than he is and that being best friends doesn't mean you always have to agree. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#123H] The Dragon Dance/Teacher Harriet's Birthday * The Dragon Dance: In school, the children are all helping Teacher Harriet with a big art project: creating a dancing dragon! Everyone is eager to finish so the dragon can dance, but they learn that they need to work together so the big project can be finished.
* Teacher Harriet's Birthday: It's Teacher Harriet's birthday! Mom Tiger helps the children surprise her by decorating the classroom with streamers and making a birthday present while she is gone. The children learn that cooperation is necessary to pull off the surprise. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#428] Changing Plans Caillou learns to cope with change. It's raining outside but there is no stopping Caillou! He sees a robin catch a worm and is thrilled when he finds a worm of his own. When Leo calls to invite Caillou over to play, Caillou isn't sure at first if he wants to go since he's having such a great time by himself. Later, Caillou, Rosie and Mom are having fun at the park when the ice-cream man comes around. Caillou wants an ice-cream but the ice-cream man leaves before he can get there. On a suggestion from Dad, Caillou becomes the "ice-cream man." Also, Caillou just loves his Superbear storybook. When Caillou wants to hear it again and again, Dad explains that he has other things to do. Caillou decides to make up a story on his own and plays it out with Rosie. Then, Caillou is playing a board game with Mom and he gets a little upset when he discovers that she is going to win. He tries to change the rules but Mom stands her ground. These are the rules and you can't always win. Caillou is excited when Miss Martin takes him and his friends to the park for some special activities. All the rules are not easy to grasp, and the kids have a few comical mishaps in the process. Caillou discovers that you don't always have to win to be proud of yourself. duration 28:55 STEREO TVY
8:00 amCurious George [#606H] Wind Symphony/George and Allie's Automated Car Wash * Wind Symphony - George is an expert at making noise, so Mr. Zoobel asks for his help in creating a one-of-a-kind rooftop Wind Symphony. George and Zoobel listen closely to the different sounds of everyday objects, whether it's banging pots, clinking silverware, or flapping laundry, and find the perfect instruments for a wind-powered orchestra. But as the crowd gathers below, the promised wind isn't arriving and George has to think of a way to save the day.
* George and Allie's Automated Car Wash - Spish! Spish! Blub blub! George and Allie are so impressed by Sprint Quint's automatic car wash that they decide to build their own...for toy cars! Remembering each stage of the car wash by the sound it makes, George and Allie assemble picnic benches, slippers, car mats, paint rollers and other everyday objects into a one-of-a-kind automatic toy wash. But will it be as successful as the full-sized car wash? duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#117H] A Long Winter's Nap/The Tree Doctor * A Long Winter's Nap: Sally and Nick are so excited to go ice skating tomorrow, that they can't fall asleep! Cat's friend Boris the Bear can help! Off they go to the Gleep-sneep Woods to learn how Boris gets ready to take his long winter's nap. Back at home, Nick and Sally follow Boris' advice, and, with the help of a bedtime story from Cat, they quickly fall asleep.
* The Tree Doctor: Sally's little maple sapling hasn't grown any bigger! To discover why, The Cat in the Hat takes the kids to meet Dr. Twiggles. With the help of the doctor and his songs, Nick and Sally discover how trees "eat" - through their leaves and roots. They also learn that trees grow verrrry slowly. A few more years and their maple sapling will grow into a maple tree! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amPeg + Cat [#111H] The Slop Problem/The Birthday Present Problem The Slop Problem - The Farm. Peg and Cat enlist the Teens to help them figure out how to clean filthy farm animals of various sizes. Primary Content: More, less; Secondary Content: Counting by fives up to 25.
The Birthday Present Problem - Peg's House/Pirate Island/Prehistoric Valley/The Purple Planet/Fairytale Land/The Giants' House. Peg and Cat gather 30 rocks from their favorite lands to give Peg's Mom for her 30th birthday. Primary Content: Counting by fives up to 30; Secondary Content: Time, using a calendar. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#213H] Dinosaur Train Submarine: Otto Opthalmosaurus/King Meets Crystal When the Pteranodon family takes the Dinosaur Train under the sea to visit their friend Elmer Elasmosaurus, they learn that the Elasmosaurus family is going away from the station to follow their food, the fish. Buddy wants to follow, but the train tunnel doesn't go that way - so the Conductor decides to take the family in a brand-new invention, the Dinosaur Train Submarine! On their journey, they meet a marine reptile called Otto Opthalmosaurus, who guides the submarine deeper than it's ever been, and even helps them find their way out of a sea cave. During a day at Troodon Town Music Festival, the Pteranodon family and King Cryolophosaurus hear a wonderful singer named Crystal Cryolophosaurus. King is very interested in becoming friends with Crystal, another dinosaur of his species, but he gets very nervous when trying to talk to her. Tiny and Buddy help King overcome his nervousness, and he and Crystal end up friends who happily sing together. duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#123] T-Bone, Dog About Town/Clifford's Big Heart * T-Bone, Dog About Town - A cute little poodle named Mimi comes to Birdwell Island on vacation, and T-Bone gets a crush. He starts trying to be the kind of dog he thinks she will like, but learns that it's always best to just be yourself.
* Clifford's Big Heart - Clifford works hard to try to make Emily the perfect Valentine to show her how much he loves her. In the end, he learns that it's his presence, not presents, that means the most to Emily Elizabeth. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:30 amClifford's Puppy Days [#120] Oh Brother/Up, Up & Oops * Oh Brother - Little Lucy Sidarsky is having a hard time adjusting to the new baby in the family. Seeing this, Daffodil decides to share with her the story of Clifford's arrival into Daffodil's home. It takes some time, but Daffodil soon discovers the joy of being a "big sister and friend" to someone who needs her. Lucy has her own small revelation when she is able to stop her little brother from crying. < br />* Up, Up & Oops! - Emily Elizabeth, Nina and Shun decide to make their own kites for a special kite flying day at the park. But when neither girls' kites will fly it looks like they won't be able to participate in kite flying day. In the end, Shun shares his special Japanese kite making materials with his friends and this act of sharing saves the day for all involved.