TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED 9: Monday, December 2, 2013
Channels 9.1 • 54.2, 25.1 | XFINITY 9 and HD 709
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amGreat Performances [#3813B] Pavarotti: A Voice for the Ages Like Enrico Caruso before him, Luciano Pavarotti extended his presence far beyond the limits of Italian opera. Quickly establishing his trademark rich sound as the greatest male operatic voice of the 20th century, he expanded his reach to stadium concerts and pop collaborations which brought him fame beyond measure. Audiences adored his larger than life personality, childlike charm, generous figure, and happy go lucky style. This program celebrates the 50th anniversary since his career debut in Amsterdam, Vienna, Zurich and finally London where he substituted for the ailing Giuseppe di Stefano as Rodolfo in La Boheme.
Even today, it is his powerful sound with its natural grace and brilliant color which still leads many to consider him the world's greatest voice. It is Pavarotti who brought opera to the masses and made football fans worldwide fall in love with "Nessun dorma." This program includes that hit and other beloved arias from La Boheme, Rigoletto and Aida; Neapolitan songs in arrangements by Henry Mancini including "Mamma" and "O Sole Mio"; favorite sacred songs like "Ave Maria" and "O Holy Night"; as well as popular duets with Bono, Sting and Eric Clapton. duration 1:27:08 STEREO TVG
1:30 amClassical Rewind (My Music) From the romantic mood of Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata' to the dramatic emotions of Orff's 'O Fortuna', this program visits the greatest compositions and composers of all time. The program weaves the stories of their works with visual interpretations of the music set to iconic images of nature, fantasy, historical locations, architecture and art. Interviews with contemporary performers in both the classical and popular arenas offer shared musical memories and personal favorites.
The program is designed to reach both long-time music lovers as well as those beginning the journey of exploring the masterworks. For many, this is the music they grew up enjoying and appreciating. For others, the melodies are recognizable from movies, television, commercials and even Fourth of July celebrations. This special explores the origins of the music, stories and anecdotes about the composers and their works, and how so many of the classics have become part of our common culture. duration 1:29:07 STEREO TVG
3:00 amReturn to Downton Abbey A look back at Downton Abbey with the cast and crew, including a look at the most recent season, #4. duration 1:28:50 STEREO TVG
4:30 amReturn to Downton Abbey A look back at Downton Abbey with the cast and crew, including a look at the most recent season, #4. duration 1:28:50 STEREO TVG
6:00 amPeg + Cat [#102] The Messy Room Problem/The Golden Pyramid Problem The Messy Room Problem - Peg's Room. Peg and Cat sort through the mess in Peg's room just in time for company to come over and see Cat's masterpiece, "The Circles." Primary Content: Sorting; Secondary Content: Shapes. The Golden Pyramid Problem - Magical Forest. Peg the Bold and Brave Sir Cat, Knights of the Round Table, search far and wide to retrieve the Mermaid's golden pyramids. Primary Content: Solid shapes; Secondary Content: Counting by twos. duration 28:55 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#214] Gorillas in the Nest/Tale of a Dragon * Gorillas in the Nest - Sally and Nick have made a sleepover tent on the floor. But it's not very comfortable. The Cat's friend Gordon the Gorilla knows how to make a comfortable bed. Off to the Twisty-Misty Mountains to meet him! They discover that gorillas build nests to sleep in, with the dads sleeping on the ground and the moms and kids sleeping in a tree! Now Nick and Sally know how to make their own comfy cozy "nests" at home!
* Tale of a Dragon - Dragons don't really exist, but Cat knows some lizard friends who are oh-so like dragons! They can show Nick and Sally how to pretend to be dragons. The first one they meet is Ignacio the green iguana who shows them his spikes and dewlap. Then it's off to meet Draco the flying lizard who has wings! Kimora the komodo dragon is the last stop, she shows the kids her long wiggly tongue. Now, with some help from things around the house, Nick and Sally know just what they need to be dragons! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#105H] Prince Wednesday Finds A Way To Play/Finding A Way To Play On Backwards Day * Prince Wednesday Finds a Way to Play - Daniel and Katerina Kittycat are playing "house" today at school. Prince Wednesday wants to play too, but he wants to be a loud dinosaur. Katerina tells him that loud dinosaurs are not allowed! Luckily, they find a way to play together with Prince Wednesday as a quiet, friendly dinosaur.
* Finding a Way to Play on Backwards Day - Daniel and O the Owl are at Miss Elaina's house and she has planned a backwards play date. O isn't so sure about all of the backwards things and prefers to play forwards. The friends learn to compromise so everyone can play together. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#314] Caillou Loves The Fall * Caillou Goes Shopping - Caillou's crayons are all worn down or broken, so Mommy suggests a trip to the store for some new ones. Caillou helps Mommy remember what she needs to buy - he remembers the list of items by making a little song out of them. When they're done they run into Sarah, and Caillou helps her find all her back to school supplies.
* Caillou Goes Apple Picking - Caillou's playschool is on a special field trip to an apple orchard. The children really enjoy learning about apples and picking them too. Caillou imagines himself picking the biggest apple in the whole world. Afterwards they enjoy some fresh apple juice. By the time they get back on the bus to go home, Caillou and his friends are all ready for a little nap!
* Caillou's Hallowe'en Costume - Hallowe'en is coming and it's time to pick out a costume to wear. Soon Rosie has three costumes she wants to wear, but Caillou still hasn't decided on what he wants to be. And time is running out! Finally a piece of blue fake fur gives him a great idea - he'll be a blue monster! His parents help him fashion an odd but effective monster costume out of bits and pieces they find around the house. When Leo and Clementine arrive they agree that Caillou is a very scary-looking monster indeed! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#204] Curious George Gets All Keyed Up/Gutter Monkey * Curious George gets All Keyed Up: Betsy prepares to play the xylophone at a school concert one evening, and George, who has always been mesmerized by Betsy's music, volunteers to deliver the xylophone to Betsy's school while she goes to the beautician that afternoon. Betsy's brother Steve also promises to help, but when he becomes distracted by his videogame, they lose track of time and have to get the xylophone out the door very quickly. So George and Steve take all the keys out in a hurry - and when George gets to the school he realizes that he's forgotten what order they go in! Will George be able to fix the xylophone, or will Betsy's beautiful tunes become suddenly and horribly "out of key"?
* Gutter Monkey: It's bowling night! George cheers on The Man with the Yellow Hat and then tries to get the ball rolling himself. But when George rolls, it's always a gutter ball. Back at home, George polishes the Man's bowling ball before the big tournament and it looks so good he decides to test it out on the curvy front lawn - but all of those ruts and hills can sure ruin a monkey's game! And things don't exactly look up, er, straight, when George takes it inside and discovers that a smooth surface in the dining room can spell trouble for the plates in the china cabinet. Will George be able to get the ball under control and to the bowling alley in time for the Man's competition?