TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
KQED 9: Sunday, September 29, 2013
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:30 amOn Story [#201] Creating Memorable Characters Academy Award-winning director Sydney Pollack (Out Of Africa, Tootsie, The Way We Were) and NYPD Blue and Deadwood creator David Milch discuss the inspiration behind creating classic film and television characters. Followed by the suspenseful short film The Lab by writer/director Ryan Scheer, about two young boys whose summer afternoon in the woods goes horribly awry. duration 26:46 STEREO TVG
1:00 amCheck, Please! Bay Area [#701H] Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine Bellanico, Davey Jones Deli and Gamine are the restaurants selected by local diners. Will the three guests agree on their Bay Area favorites? duration 26:46 STEREO TVG
1:30 amImageMakers [#1104H] Man's Best Friend MY HAPPY END - Germany
All dogs love to chase their tail. This particular dog succeeds in catching it. Not only does this act change his life, but his new best friend's life as well. An affectionate tribute to the old Saturday morning cartoons we all grew up with. Directed by Milen Vitanov.
TALKING DOG FOR SALE, 10 EUROS - France
When a man sees a curious advertisement for a talking dog for sale really cheap, he pursues the offer with natural skepticism. It's got to be a joke, right? Written, produced and directed by Lewis-Martin Soucy. This is Lewis-Martin's second film to be part of Imagemakers (Season three - Handicap). Principal cast: Roberto Alvarez, Rikar Gil and Camilo Garcia.
DOG YEARS I & II- England
Ben, a frustrated mongrel ties to make sense of his human companion's strange behavior. When his supposed best friend takes him to get castrated, Ben has a hard time seeing the bright side of the situation. A dog's life is not all it's cracked up to be. Shot on super 8, the hilarious film gives a dog's perspective on the meaning of life. When nothing seems to make sense, all you've got left is to live in the moment. Written and directed by Sam Hearn and Richard Penfold.
DAVID AND GOLIATH - USA
David, a Jew and a resistance fighter, flees for his life as he is being hunted down by Nazi soldiers. David finds refuge in a nearby farmhouse where he hides in a dog house protected by a ferocious German Shepherd, who ultimately becomes his savior. An extraordinary true story set in 1943 Czechoslovakia and based on the life of David Bako. Produced, written and directed by George Zaverdas. Principal cast: Billy Burke, Kent Kasper, Jim Boeven and Rudolf Martin. duration 29:09 STEREO TVG
2:01 amExtraordinary Women [#104Z] Grace Kelly Grace Kelly had a privileged upbringing in Philadelphia, in fact, she was born to be a princess. Even her maternal grandfather was born in a German Castle. But the young Grace was quiet and sensitive and spent her childhood struggling to win her Irish-American father's approval. She was determined to find the success and independence that she hoped would impress him. By her teenage years, Grace had blossomed into a beautiful woman, picking up modelling jobs in order to finance her acting studies. Never short of wealthy male suitors, Grace was at the heart of New York's social scene and even received a marriage proposal from the Shah of Iran. As her acting and movie career flourished, so she began a string of affairs with her co-stars including Gary Cooper, Clarke Gable, Ray Milland and Bing Crosby. She was attracted to older men who were often married. Three successful performances sealed her place as Alfred Hitchcock's favourite actress; the definitive Hitchcock blonde who was the image of virginal beauty yet brimming with sexuality. Her decision to play a dowdy housewife in The Country Girl would reward her with the Best Actress Academy Award in 1955. But Grace's life would take an even greater step up when she caught the eye of the eligible Prince Rainier of Monaco, that same year. In 1956, the couple were married in a spectacular MGM-produced Wedding. Grace Kelly looked every inch the princess... but the marriage wouldn't live up to the fairy-tale. Over the coming years there would be moments of happiness including the birth of two daughters and a son. Grace helped revive the ailing principality as Monaco became a thriving hub for the rich and famous. Princess Grace's charity work was widely respected and she gained the enduring love and adoration of the Monegasques. But there would also be persistent rumours of affairs on both sides, and as the children grew up, they only added more stress to a troubled marriage. Grace's untimely and mysterious death in 1982 brought a tragic end to the life of the Princess of Monaco and a Hollywood icon. duration 48:31 STEREO TVG
3:00 amBirdcage [#1076H] (1996) In Miami Beach, a gay couple (Robin Williams, Nathan Lane) pretend to be man and wife when a son's future father-in-law (Gene Hackman) and family visit. duration 1:56:04 STEREO TV14
5:00 amJames Stewart: A Wonderful Life A salute to one of Hollywood's best-loved actors. Stewart, who started his career as a magician and accordionist, rose to stardom portraying ordinary men who called on their interior strengths to accomplish extraordinary things. Produced and directed by David Heeley and hosted by Johnny Carson, this program features interviews with Hollywood luminaries and visits to the sets of Stewart's most popular films, creating a moving tribute to a truly unforgettable actor. duration 1:27:30 STEREO TVG
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#112H] You Should Be Dancing/Batty for Bats * You Should Be Dancing - Nick and Sally are planning to put on a show for their moms, but they can't finish their dance without falling down! The Cat in the Hat takes them to meet one of the best dancers in the world, Tango a bird of paradise! With a few costume changes and a little practice, Nick and Sally are finally able to show their moms their new dance!
* Batty for Bats - Sally and Nick are playing a game of blindfolded freeze tag but they can't seem to find each other! Luckily the Cat has a friend who is always able to find his way in the dark. He takes them to meet Zapita, a bat who teaches the kids about echolocation. Now that Nick and Sally know how to listen to find their way, freeze tag has become a lot more fun! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#119H] Daniel Gets A Shot/A Stormy Night Daniel Gets a Shot - Daniel has an appointment at the doctor today and he has to get a shot. He is very apprehensive and does not want to go. So Daniel asks Mom Tiger questions about the shot, and she shares her trick for staying brave in scary situations. And Daniel finds that the shot was not so bad after all! A Stormy Night - Daniel and O the Owl are having fun playing outside in the rain until a thunderstorm builds up and worries them. When Mom Tiger teaches them to think of something happy, O and Daniel learn that the thunderstorm is not so scary after all! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#526H] Surprise Caillou! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#301] Ice Station Monkey/The Perfect Carrot * Ice Station Monkey: George and the Man with the Yellow Hat are having a blast on their research assignment in the Antarctic! Professor Wiseman has enlisted the pair to help find the nesting grounds of the Chinstrap penguins. Our explorers set out in different directions. George meets a Chinstrap penguin, but loses his camera to a pesky sea otter who swims away. When the Man finds George, they chase the sea otter by jumping ice floes...but discover too late that a blizzard is approaching! George and the Man find refuge in a cave. When the blizzard passes, they emerge on the other side of the island in the middle of the penguins' nesting ground! Mission accomplished! Educational Objective: To be introduced to the idea of building a shelter using natural available materials.
* The Perfect Carrot: George and Bill are feeding the rabbits, when suddenly they run out of carrots. George can't believe it when Bill pulls a carrot out of the ground. George wants to grow his own carrots. Armed with a packet of seeds and instructions from Bill, George plants his garden. After 66 days of tending, watering and keeping Jumpy away, George has a prize-winning carrot! It's so perfect that George carries it around in a fancy telescope case to protect it. George visits Bill's house to show it off, but learns that the bunnies have gone missing! George finds the bunnies in a cave, hungry and scared. It's a hard decision to make, but George sacrifices his perfect carrot for the bunnies to eat while he finds help. Thanks to George and his "carroty hero," the bunnies are both saved and fed. Educational Objective: To make a connection between plants, and the food people and animals eat. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#206H] Manatees and Mermaids/The Last Chocolate * Manatees and Mermaids - Sally and Nick are pretending to swim, but why not go for a real swim asks the Cat! Off to the Glippydrippy Gulf to meet Matilda the Manatee and her son Marlin. Matilda and Marlon teach their guests how to swim slowly and gracefully. Until they hear the sound of a boat motor! Those can be dangerous for manatees, but luckily the Cat, Nick and Sally help their new friends to stay safe. And when they get back home, Nick and Sally will be sure to tell everyone to "Slow down for manatees!"
* The Last Chocolate - Only two chocolates left in the whole box, what a great present for Nick and Sally's Moms. That is until The Cat excitedly eats them! Oh no! How are they going to find more chocolate to give to their moms? Why a trip to visit Princess Lottachoca in the Cocoalicious Forest will help them! There, the Princess teaches Nick and Sally the chocolate-making song and they help to pick the beans, roast them, and to heat the juice and add sugar. And then, pouring the hot liquid into moulds of any shape. Now that the chocolate has cooled, it's time to go home and surprise their moms! Educational Objective: The process of how chocolate is made from the humble cocoa bean - by picking the beans, drying them, roasting them and then crushing them to get the juice, then adding sugar while you heat it, pour it into a mould and cool it. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amSuper Why! [#128Z] Sleeping Beauty Ahoy Matey! Yo, ho, ho and...a cup of tea?! Uh oh, Princess Pea wants to play Tea Party but Pig and his brothers would like her to play Pirates! The Super Readers travel into the famous story of Sleeping Beauty to speak with a Princess who loves sleeping just as much as Princess Pea loves tea parties! The Super Readers apply their literacy powers to wake Sleeping Beauty...and wake her...and wake her again! Can they convince their new friend that there's more to life than snoozing or will she always find other activities a big snore? Educational Objectives: To learn to have an open mind! The alphabet is uncovered and young viewers rhyme with "ell" words, practice the magic of spelling as well as use the power to read to change the story. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#138] The Amazing Michelinoceras Brothers/Dads' Day Out * The Amazing Michelinoceras Brothers - The Pteranodon family travels deep underwater on the Dinosaur Train to view two backwards-bounding brothers named Max and Mitch Michelinoceras. The kids are delighted to see that Max and Mitch put on a synchronized swimming show.
*Dads' Day Out - Buddy, Tiny, and Mr. Pteranodon join Annie Tyrannosaurus and Leroy Lambeosaurus and their dads for a Dads' Day at the Big Pond. It's all fun and games until it starts to rain, and they all have to take cover in a cave they've never noticed before. duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#112] Little Clifford/Welcome to Birdwell Island * Little Clifford - In this flashback story, we learn how Emily and Clifford got together and how Emily's unconditional love changed the "runt" of the litter into the biggest dog around!
* Welcome To Birdwell Island - This flashback episode tells the story of the day the Howards moved to Birdwell Island. The town is full of preconceived ideas about how "a big dog can mean big problems" for the island, but they soon learn that Clifford has much to offer, and that they shouldn't make assumptions before they know the facts. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:30 amClifford's Puppy Days [#117] Time Out/Sniff Sniff * Time Out - Nina loses her date book. Jorge doesn't help her find it, thinking she will have more time to play with him. The plan backfires, and Jorge learns to respect Nina's commitments.
* Sniff Sniff - When Emily Elizabeth wakes up with a cold, Clifford does everything he can to make her feel better. He tries playing with a pop up book, playing ball, and getting her to dance. Finally he realizes that one of the best things you can do for someone who isn't feeling well doesn't feel like much at all. He goes into her room and snuggles with her, and she couldn't be happier.