TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
Please Note: As of July 1, 2011, KTEH has been renamed
Another way to search for programs is from the TV Programs A-Z Directory.
KQED 9: Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amCharlie Rose [#19051] (original broadcast date: 03/04/13)
Joe Scarborough, Host of Morning Joe, and Paul Krugman of The New York Times, debate debt. duration 56:47 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amNightly Business Report [#32064Z] Tonight, billionaire investor Warren Buffett answers questions from viewers. Also, it's the first business day with the sequester budget cuts in full effect. The impact on various sectors and on Americans with California Congressman Ed Royce and Delaware Governor Jack Markell. And, we kickoff our week-long series In Focus: The American Recovery. duration 24:46 STEREO TVRE
1:30 amRick Steves' Europe [#702(] Rome: Baroque Brilliance This second of 3 episodes on Rome reveals a city busy with life and bursting with Baroque. We ramble through the venerable heart of Rome, admire breathtaking Bernini statues, ponder sunbeams inside St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican, and mix and mingle with the Romans during an early evening stroll. Following an exquisite Roman dinner, we join locals after dark, lacing together the Eternal City's most romantic nightspots. duration 25:00 STEREO TVG
2:07 amRick Steves' Europe [#703H] Rome: Back-Street Riches In this third of 3 episodes on the Eternal City, we explore this grand metropolis - so rich in art and culture - on a more intimate scale, delving into its back lanes and unheralded corners. Venturing through the crusty Trastevere district, visiting the historic Jewish Ghetto, and enjoying art treasures in a string of rarely visited churches, we uncover charms of hidden Rome that compete with its marquee sights. duration 26:46 STEREO TVG
2:44 amRick Steves' Europe [#704H] Florence: Heart of the Renaissance 15th-century Florence was the home of the Renaissance and the birthplace of our modern world. In this first of 2 episodes, we gaze into the self-assured eyes of Michelangelo's David, enjoy Botticelli's Birth of Venus, delve into the 3D wonders of Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise, appreciate Fra Angelico's serene beauty, and climb the dome that kicked off the Renaissance. Then we cross the Arno to where Florentine artisans live, work, and eat - very well. duration 26:46 STEREO TVG
3:21 amRick Steves' Europe [#710H] Venice: City of Dreams After sorting through the monuments of Venice's powerful past, we trace its decline from Europe's most powerful city to its most hedonistic one. We cruise the Grand Canal, luxuriate in a venerable cafe, and savor fresh fish canal-side with Venetian friends. Becoming as anonymous as possible in this city of masks, we'll be dazzled by masterpieces of the Venetian Renaissance and get intimate with the city of Casanova - on a gondola under the moonlight. duration 26:46 STEREO TVG
3:58 amRick Steves' Europe [#705H] Florentine Delights and Tuscan Side Trips In this second of 2 episodes on Florence, we enjoy more of the exquisite artistic treasures of the city that propelled Europe out of the Middle Ages. Then we side-trip to a couple of rival cities and cultural capitals in their own right, Pisa and Lucca, where we'll marvel at a tipsy tower, circle a city on its ramparts, and enjoy some Puccini in his hometown. duration 26:46 STEREO TVG
4:30 amEasy Yoga for Arthritis with Peggy Cappy This program offers a fabulous anti-stress yoga sequence, presented in Peggy's gentle style that everybody can do. Arthritis is the leading cause of disability in the US, affecting some 37 million people. Peggy shows how yoga can relieve stiffness, reduce pain and fatigue, and improve muscle and bone strength. duration 58:25 STEREO TVG
5:30 amImageMakers [#910H] Marriage Is A Sentence CONVERSATION PIECE - England
An ingenious musical, Jean notices a chip on a treasured vase. She accuses her husband. He, of course, denies it. Employing a variety of tactics, she gets him to confess. Written and directed by Joe Tunmer, the music matches every syllable of dialogue to every note from a 1966 improvised recording entitled "Conversation Piece" by cornetist Rex Stewart. Principal cast: Celia Imrie and John Henshaw.
THIS IS CHRISTMAS - England
The table has been set for a beautiful romantic dinner. Unfortunately,the first course includes a heaping helping of deeply buried resentment - a dish that is best served very, very cold. The next time you are invited to a Christmas dinner, be sure to try the parsnips. A black comedy written and directed by Alex Norris. Principal cast: Maggie Saunders and Colin Campbell.
SEEDS OF THE FALL - Sweden
Middle-aged Rolf and Eva live in a passionless relationship full of sexual frustration. Then a like a bulldozer, in fact, a real bulldozer...comes to shake up their lives forever. It's at this point that next-door neighbor Glenn comes knocking with a rather unusual offer. Welcome to the quirky, off-kilter world of writer/director Patrik Eklund. The film won top prize at the Cannes Film Festival and was short listed for a 2011 Academy Award. Principal cast: Jacob Nordenson, Anki Larsson, Daniel Rudstedt, Camilla Larsson and Svante Grundberg. duration 29:45 STEREO TVG
6:00 amRaggs [#149H] Books When Razzles can't find her book, she and the dogs clean up the house and practice how to take good care of a book. When Pido cannot find a new bedtime story to read to the dogs, he creates a new story combining everyone's favorite book character into one adventure. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
6:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#104H] A Plan for Sand/Whale Music * A Plan for Sand - Nick and Sally are playing in their sandbox, but there's not enough room for them to build their castles. The Cat arrives to take them to the biggest sandbox they'll ever see! In the desert, they meet Carmela the Camel who teaches them about how camels are adapted to live in the dry, sandy climate.
* Whale Music - Nick and Sally have made a song to sing to their moms, but they can't get the ending quite right. The Cat in the Hat takes them to meet the best singing teacher in the world, Humphrey the Humpback Whale! While bobbing in the ocean, Humphrey teaches the kids that whales communicate by singing, and that it's not how you sing that matters, but what you're saying in the song. The kids return home to delight their mothers with their song! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:00 amDaniel Tiger's Neighborhood [#106H] Daniel And Miss Elaina Play Rocketship/Daniel Plays At The Castle Daniel and Miss Elaina Play Rocketship - Daniel has come to play with Miss Elaina today! They decide to play "outer space," but Miss Elaina gets upset when her cardboard telescope and spaceship accidentally break. Lady Elaine helps the friends see that they can still have fun together, even without the toys - because they're friends! They use their imaginations to keep playing, which is just as much fun!
Daniel Plays at the Castle - Daniel is visiting Prince Wednesday and the boys are excited to explore Prince Wednesday's rock collection. Daniel is saddened when Prince Wednesday tells him the rocks are too delicate to play with. Daniel and Prince Wednesday learn that friendship is about more than just playing with each other's toys - it's about being together! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#317] Caillou The Helper * Caillou the Patient - While pretending to be a jet pilot Caillou falls down and scrapes his knees. Even though it hurts, he likes the extra attention from Mommy and Rosie. He's not sure he can run anymore, until he looks out the window and sees Leo and Clementine heading to the park!
* Caillou the Police Officer - When the traffic lights near school stop working a policeman comes to direct traffic. Caillou loves watching him and learns from Miss Martin about lots of different ways that police officers help people. Caillou decides he wants to help people too, and finds a whistle for directing traffic. Unfortunately his friends aren't very willing to be directed, but he does get to put Leo the bank robber in jail under the slide. He even finds a way to help the police officer... by bringing him a cool drink when he's done his work.
* Grandpa's Friend - Grandpa takes Caillou to the park one find day to meet his friend George. George has lots of funny stories about Grandpa when he was young. Caillou learns to play croquet, and even convinces the elderly pair to play one of his games - hide and seek! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#110] Curious George Discovers The Poles/Curious George Finds His Way * Curious George Discovers the "Poles" - George is thrilled when Bill asks him to look after his tadpoles. He conscientiously feeds them and even decides to give them a little vacation in the lagoon. But the tadpoles disappear and George worries that he's lost Bill's pets forever. After weeks of searching, George is ready to give up hope, until he learns that the tadpoles haven't vanished; they've grown into frogs!
* Curious George Finds His Way - Hundley and George get locked out of the building in the back alley. While trying to find their way back in, they get hopelessly lost. To make matters worse, it starts to get dark. It isn't until they begin to hear some familiar sounds they realize that with the combination of Hundley's sharp ears and George's good memory of what they'd heard along the way, they can find their way home. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#212H] Rumbly Tumbly/Planet Name Game * Rumbly Tumbly: Nick's hungry tummy is rumbling! But why do our stomachs make noises when they're hungry? A super shrunken trip into Thing One's stomach will show them the answer! They learn how chewing and stomach juices help to break down the food, and the tummy sounds are actually the stomach working. When your tummy is empty, the sounds are much louder! There's only one way to quiet Nick's rumbly tumbly... a chewy chocolate chunky chunk chip cookie!
* Planet Name Game: Nick and Sally have run out of things to name in the garden. Good thing Cat needs help putting his model of the solar system back together - they can help him name the planets! Off in the Space-a-ma-racer they go on a whirlwind trip around the universe, learning the names of the seven planets as they go. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amSuper Why! [#154Z] The Swiss Family Robinson Little Boy Blue is stuck on a little island in Storybrook Pond and can't get back to shore. Super Why and his friends head into the story of The Swiss Family Robinson to meet a family who is just as stranded as Little Boy Blue. They'll need to use what's around them to survive in this do-it-yourself island adventure!
Educational Objectives: To learn to think creatively in tricky situations. Preschoolers will catch the alphabet using Alpha Pig's Alphabet Net, rhyme with ING words, and use the power to read to change the story. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train [#207H] The Earthquake/Nursery Car * Mom takes the kids on a playdate with Tank Triceratops to the desert, where they meet a distant relative of Tank's, an early Ceratopsian named Penelope Protoceratops. The Conductor points out that Penelope lives in a part of the world that gets a lot of earthquakes, and sure enough, the kids experience their first quake with Penelope. Mom and the Conductor have prepared the kids with excellent advice about what to do in an earthquake, so everyone does fine.
* When the family rides the Dinosaur Train, they learn that a new car has been added - a Nursery Car, with dozens of eggs in little, padded nests, attended by their expectant moms and dads. The kids watch the eggs hatch, and try to guess which hatchling goes with which dinosaur parent. duration 28:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:00 amClifford The Big Red Dog [#220] A Big Help/The Trouble with Kittens * A Big Help: Cleo and T-Bone notice how often Clifford is able to use his large size to help out. But when the kittens, Billy and Betty, get stuck in a tree, the little dogs learn that you don't have to be big to be helpful.
* The Trouble With Kittens: When kittens Betty and Billy insist on playing in Mr. Bleakman's yard, Clifford does his best to keep them out.