TV Daily Schedule: KQED 9
KQED 9: Friday, May 18, 2012
Comcast 9 and 709 • Digital 9.1, 54.2 or 25.1
Schedule is subject to change. Please visit kqed.org/tv/schedules/daily for the most up-to-date info.
12:00 amCharlie Rose [#18104H] (original broadcast date: 05/17/12)
Francoise Gilot & John Richardson on 'Picasso and Francoise Gilot: Paris-Vallauris, 1943-1953' currently on exhibit at Gagosian Gallery in New York City duration 56:46 STEREO TVRE
1:00 amNightly Business Report [#31229Z] $38 is Facebook's magic number. Is it a good idea to buy into the company? Analysts weigh in. The bribery scandal in Mexico isn't slowing Walmart's earnings yet. New York Correspondent Erika Miller reports. As JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon is called to testify on Capitol Hill, the President calls for regulators to strengthen the Volcker Rule. Our series on the agriculture economy introduces us to Petaluma Creamery Owner Larry Peter, who has generated plenty of "bread" from the cheese business. duration 26:46 STEREO TVRE
1:30 amCheck, Please! Bay Area [#704H] Rivoli, The Chairman and Station House Cafe duration 26:46 STEREO TVG
2:00 amCaroline Quentin: A Passage Through India [#101H] * Varanasi - Caroline starts her journey in the religious and cultural capital of India. She meets a local named Ravi who takes her on a boat ride on the River Ganges and introduces her to a local family.
* Jodhpur - Caroline takes the sleeper train to Jodhpur, the "Blue City" of Rajasthan. In Jodhpur she meets a local girl who takes her to the food markets and teaches her how to cook some traditional Rajasthani dishes. She then goes on a tour of the magnificent Mehrangarh Fort with the Maharaja's nephew.
* Agra - Caroline is keen to see the famous Taj Mahal. She joins the crowds and throws herself into the "tourist thing." Colonel Lamba, her host, takes her to his Sikh Temple where she experiences a different side to Agra - life in a Gurdwara which serves thousands of free meals a day to anybody who is hungry, regardless of caste or creed.
* Chandelao - Missing her country life back at home in Devon, Caroline visits a rural village, in Rajasthan. She stays with Praduman Singh, who is the "Head of the Village," in his lovely heritage hotel. He introduces her to the rural life in which she joins the elders for their daily community meeting and enjoys some stunning wildlife around the village lake.
* Anand - Caroline travels to a small town called Anand, in Gujarat. She visits an infertility clinic that she has read about at home and is keen to find out more. It's a tourism of a different kind, "surrogate tourism," where couples from all over the world, largely from the West come to India to hire a surrogate mother to have a baby for them. It's a booming industry and a chance for Caroline to see a different side to India. duration 45:44 STEREO TVPG
2:47 amCaroline Quentin: A Passage Through India [#102H] * Jaisalmer - Caroline arrives in Jaisalmer by camel. She meets Princes,Shakti and Vikram Singh, brothers who show her around their city. She learns about the history of the "living fort" of Jaisalmer and enjoys a private performance of some traditional Rajasthani music.
* Ahmedabad - Caroline travels back to Gujarat to go to a big Indian Festival. It's Navrati - and no-one celebrates it bigger and better than the Gujaratis! A local family takes her shopping for a dress, teaches her how to dance the traditional "garba" dance and introduces her to the night time festivities.
* Mumbai - Caroline hits the big city! She gets a tour of Mumbai with local enthusiast Deepa. She learns more about the stray dogs that fill the streets of the city, sees Malakamb the Indian gymnastics in action and gets fashion tips from a Bollywood actress. duration 45:48 STEREO TVPG
3:34 amCaroline Quentin: A Passage Through India [#103H] * Mysore - the city of palaces. Caroline spends the day with the local celebrity Snake Shyam and makes sweets with the grandson of the maharaja.
* Shimoga - Caroline travels down South to visit a healer who can miraculously cure the sick through the natural herbs and fauna he gathers in the local woods. Thousands of people come from all over the world to be treated by him.
* Ooty - Up in the hills Caroline learns about the tea making process and gets to pick and sample the fresh tea for herself.
* Cochin - Caroline visits the elephants and gets up close and personal to the local martial art Kalari.
* Trivandrum - Here she merely passes through, but this city is the last major stop on the road to the tip of the country.
* Kanniyakumari - Caroline finds herself at journey's end and takes a dip in the three oceans that meet here. duration 45:42 STEREO TVPG
4:21 amImageMakers [#903H] My First Crush THE CRUSH - Ireland
Ardal Travis is in love. There's just one small problem - him. He's only eight years old and the object of his affection is his beautiful teacher Miss Purdy. He also has a bigger problem - Pierce. He is Miss Purdy's fiancee. As the saying goes, all is fair in love and war. There's only one thing Ardal can do - challenge the interloper to a duel! Written and directed by Michael Creagh. The film was nominated for a 2011 Academy Award. Principal cast: Oran Creagh (the filmmaker's son), Olga Wehrly and Rory Keenan.
BIG GIRL - Canada
A battle of wills develops between nine-year-old Josephine and her mother's new boyfriend - a "lowly" bartender. No longer the sole object of her affection, she challenges this new interloper to a winner take all competition. He may be man enough for her mother, but is he man enough to take care of them both? A bittersweet tale of modern family politics written and directed by Renuka Jeyapalan. Principal cast: Samantha Weinstein, Kris Holden-Ried and Patricia Fagan. duration 29:28 STEREO TVG
5:00 amIndependent Lens [#1323H] Precious Knowledge When a highly successful Mexican American Studies program at a high school in Tucson comes under fire for teaching ethnic chauvinism, teachers and students fight back. This modern civil rights struggle is born at the epicenter of the immigration debate in the age of identity politics. duration 56:46 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: DVI)
6:00 amRaggs [#142H] Forest During Funky Forest Friday, the dogs help Pido tell the story of Little Red Riding Pup. When Trilby wants to go camping, the dogs pretend their garden is a forest for camping. Together, they figure out all the things they would need to bring for a successful camping trip. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
6:30 amWild Kratts [#101H] Mom of a Croc Chris and Martin are determined to prove to Aviva that there's more to crocodiles than their reputation as scary brutes. They use an egg disguise, created by Aviva, to infiltrate a crocodile nest for an insider's look at the challenging journey of the infant crocs and their mom. Science Concept: Heat can be produced in many ways, and can move from one object to another by a process called conduction. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
7:00 amArthur [#905] Lights, Camera.... Opera!/All Worked Up * Lights, Camera ...Opera! - When Muffy's Dad gives her concert tickets,she couldn't be more excited, until she discovers that she's going to ... gasp! ... the opera. How will she even understand what's going on let alone stay awake? Opera singer Rodney Gilfrey guest stars to show Muffy why Bizet's "Carmen" can be a whole lot more fun than 'Tween Dream!
* All Worked Up - Arthur aced five quizzes in a row! But his luck runs out when Mom takes a new job. Did his streak end because Mom's schedule is disrupting his perfect routine?! At first Arthur and D.W. get all worked up over this change at home, but they learn that they'll always be priority number one. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
7:30 amCaillou [#312] Caillou The Artiste * A Present for Mommy - Mommy's having a bad day - first she can't find her car keys, then she and Caillou have to shovel the car out, and then the car won't start! At playschool Caillou decides to make her a present to cheer her up. His first two attempts don't turn out but he perseveres and makes her a picture of a sun - to melt all the snow!
* Caillou the Chef - Jeffrey and Jason are coming over for dinner - it's a make-your-own pizza party! Caillou feels he is an expert at this and starts to show them how to do it. When the twins both opt for less-than-traditional ingredients Caillou is upset that they're doing it all wrong. In the end, however, their pizzas turn out just fine and Caillou learns that everyone has their own unique way of doing things.
* Caillou the Painter - Caillou's got a brand new painting shirt and decides to paint something for Grandma. He has a little trouble deciding what to paint. He wants to use all his colours and paint all his favourite shapes. Mommy tells him that paintings don't have to be about something and he proceeds to make his own abstract painting! Meanwhile Rosie and Daddy are pressing a flower for Grandma. When Grandma arrives she is thrilled with her very artistic gifts. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
8:00 amCurious George [#601] School of Dance/Curious George Sounds Off School of Dance - Little monkeys love to dance, which is why George can't wait for Allie's dance party. When Bill announces he's leaving town because he doesn't know how to dance the box step, George creates a footsteps dance step map to help. But you can't take a dance map to a party! How will Bill keep from stepping on toes without one? Curious George Sounds Off - Chef Pisghetti is distraught: his chickens won't lay any eggs! After spending a night in the chicken coop, George discovers that the chickens aren't sleeping and are too tired to lay eggs. The noisy alley is the culprit. Will George's efforts to soundproof the chicken coop with recycled materials pay off with egg-cellent results? duration 28:46 STEREO TVY
8:30 amCat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! [#111H] Flight of the Penguin/Let's Go Fly A Kite * Flight of the Penguin - Sally and Nick are pretending to fly in their backyard. Oh wouldn't it be great if they really could? The Cat in the Hat brings them to meet his good friend Percy the penguin. After a fun race with a penguin and a bird, the kids learn that not all birds fly, but that doesn't mean they aren't fast!
* Let's Go Fly a Kite - Sally, Nick and the Cat are trying to fly a kite, but there's not enough wind. The Cat in the Hat takes them to Huff-Puff-Maguff where there's so much wind, they lose their kite! They chase the kite, using the wind to help them. When they finally reach it, the breeze helps to cool them down! duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:00 amSuper Why! [#143] Peter Rabbit Red wants to find the perfect present to show Grandma she cares, but she is absolutely stumped! The Super Readers pay a storybook visit to Peter Rabbit and chase after the mischievous little cottontail bunny, who's on the hunt for some delicious fresh vegetables for his Mama. The Super Readers must help Peter find what he's looking for before his big appetite for veggies lands him in hot water!
Educational Objectives: To learn how to show someone you care, investigate the alphabet, practice spelling skills and use the power to read to change the story. duration 28:46 STEREO TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
9:30 amDinosaur Train: Dinosaurs A to Z This program consists of two new episodes, #215 & #216, in which Buddy and Tiny collect all the dinosaurs in the A to Z song. duration 58:46 SRND51 TVY (Secondary audio: DVI)
10:30 amClifford's Puppy Days [#109] Something Special/Shun Gets in the Game * Something Special - As he tries to help set up for a big Cinco de Mayo party, Clifford begins to doubt that he has any special skills to offer. Will his friends be able to cheer him up and convince him that he does have "something special?"
* Shun in the Game - It's the first beautiful day of spring and the official opening day of the Courtyard Volleyball season, so why does Shun keep making up excuses for why he can't play?