Barney & Friends
A unique blending of education and entertainment for preschool children. Each episode emphasizes language and cognitive development, physical activity and social interaction.
Barney & Friends Previous Broadcasts
Winter and Summer (Episode #1010)
KQED Plus: Fri, May 31, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Winter: When Baby Bop is surprised by the first day of cold weather, it's Barney that helps her see winter can be a wonderful time for fun.Baby Bop is getting discouraged, wondering if it will ever snow! Then,when she least expects it - the snow begins to fall!
* Summer: On a hot summer day, Barney teaches BJ about all the fun activities you can do during the summer. BJ gets so excited that he corrals Riff into joining him to do a whole summer's worth of activities, all in one day! With some help from Baby Bop and the children, Barney teaches BJ that summer means relaxation, too!
Pets and Vets (Episode #1009)
KQED Plus: Thu, May 30, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Pets: BJ learns that having a pet is a much bigger responsibility than he ever expected when he offers to take care of a friend's dog! When he accidentally loses the dog, everyone has to work together to find it!
* Vets: When Baby Bop's favorite teddy bear is torn, she wants to take him to the veterinarian for help. Barney and Riff pretend to be veterinarians. They show Baby Bop that there's nothing to be afraid of, because doctors and veterinarians are our friends too!
Counting and Letters (Episode #1008)
KQED Plus: Wed, May 29, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Counting: BJ and Riff find a pirate map, but in order to find the treasure, they have to be able to count. Since Baby Bop hasn't learned to count yet, Barney offers to help teach her so she is not left behind. In the end, Baby Bop learns to count and realizes that feeling good about herself is the greatest treasure in the world!
* Letters: It's time for a music concert in the park. As Riff works on his "one-man band", the others make posters for the show. Everyone enjoys Riff's calypso rendition of a favorite song, and they all enjoy helping each other!
Movement and Bj's Snack Attack (Episode #1007)
KQED Plus: Tue, May 28, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Movement: When some of the children in the park invite Barney to join them for a race, BJ and Baby Bop decide he'll need their help. They show him several ways to get ready for the big race by warming up and stretching. By the end of the day, everyone finds out that there are many fun ways to exercise.
* BJ's Snack Attack: When BJ starts to feel sick after eating too many sweets, he lies down in hopes of feeling better. He has a dream about a snack fantasyland where he eats as many sweets as he wants and ends up with a big stomachache. When he wakes up, he's happy to find out it was only a dream. When he asks for a healthy snack, his friends are happy to oblige!
Glad to Be Me and Arts (Episode #1006)
KQED Plus: Mon, May 27, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Glad to Be Me: Riff has many special qualities, but sometimes, his shyness makes it hard for him to meet new friends. When Barney introduces Riff to some of his friends in the park, it's Baby Bop that ends up feeling less than special as the kids seem more impressed with Riff and his special talents. Barney helps Baby Bop realize that there's more to being special than the things you can do. The way you feel and the way you make others feel makes you special, too.
* Arts: It's a special day in the park as Barney and the little dinosaurs enjoy an Art Festival. BJ and Riff share some "musical art" and Baby Bop shares a painting of a very special friend. ..Barney! As the festival comes to an end, Barney reminds his friends everywhere that no matter what kind of art they make, it's always special when it comes from their hearts!
Seeing and Hearing (Episode #1005)
KQED Plus: Fri, May 24, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Seeing: An ordinary game of "hide and seek" takes a not-so-ordinary turn when Baby Bop claims that an elephant is hiding in the park! Barney and Riff are happy to play along, but BJ thinks that his sister may be "seeing things". Fortunately, Barney takes this opportunity to help the young dinos learn about their sense of sight while having tons of fun!
* Hearing: BJ and Riff engage in a friendly contest to see which of them can find (or make) the loudest sound in the park. The playful competition continues to escalate... and along the way, the sounds of animals, musical instruments, and even fire engines are introduced.
Shapes and Colors (Episode #1004)
KQED Plus: Thu, May 23, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Shapes: Baby Bop, BJ and the children prepare for the Shapes Carnival in the park. Riff knows he will do well at the carnival because he is wearing his lucky medal. But when he loses the medal, Riff is afraid he won't be able to play the games. It turns out that Riff has fun playing the games and he realizes he didn't need his lucky medal after all!
* Colors: When it starts to rain at the park, Baby Bop joins Barney and BJ inside the caboose. Baby Bop pokes her head out to see if the rain has stopped and spies a beautiful rainbow in the sky! But when the others come to see it...it's gone. Baby Bop is very disappointed because she liked all the pretty colors, so Barney and the others paint their own "life-sized" rainbow. When it starts to rain again, the homemade rainbow falls down and gets all wet. Luckily, a real rainbow takes its place!
Butterflies and Bugs (Episode #1003)
KQED Plus: Wed, May 22, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Butterflies: Baby Bop is sad because she lost her pet caterpillar, Monty. Barney and the others try to help her find it. Baby Bop is surprised to discover Monty inside a chrysalis. Everyone is excited to find Monty - now a beautiful butterfly!
* Bugs: Barney and Baby Bop are thrilled when BJ sets up a bug zoo in the caboose but Riff isn't so sure he wants to be around bugs. When the park is magically transformed into a amphitheatre with insects performing, Riff discovers that bugs don't bug him after all.
Airplanes and Boats (Episode #1002)
KQED Plus: Tue, May 21, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Airplanes: BJ brings his brand new toy plane to the park. Riff borrows the plane while BJ is off playing. Unfortunately, curiosity gets the best of Riff and he ends up taking the plane apart to see how it works. Luckily, BJ isn't mad when he finds out. Instead, he shows Riff how to put the plane back together again.
* Boats: Baby Bop is having a great time playing with her homemade boat. However, what she really wants is to ride in a big boat. Barney takes her to look at boats on the computer while BJ and Riff work on a big surprise for her. When Barney and Baby Bop return to the playground, they discover that BJ and Riff have built a sailing ship on the play set for Baby Bop!
Welcome, Cousin Riff and Special Skills (Episode #1001)
KQED Plus: Mon, May 20, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Welcome, Cousin Riff: Barney has a tee-Riff-ic surprise for BJ and Baby Bop! Their cousin Riff is moving to town. Riff surprises everyone with his awesome musical abilities and super-fun personality! Everyone is very excited that Riff will be in town for good!
* Special Skills: Barney suggests that BJ and Baby Bop put on a special show so Riff can see how much fun they have at the park! Riff is a little shy - he's never performed in a show before. Barney encourages Riff to participate, and Riff does what he knows best - he makes music!Riff and the show are big hits!
The New Kid/The Princess and the Frog (Episode #1420H)
KQED Plus: Fri, May 17, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
The New Kid - When Riff meets a new friend in the park, BJ feels a little left out. BJ goes to great lengths to try to find a new friend for himself. Barney helps BJ see that we don't have to forget old friends when we make new ones. The Princess and the Frog - When Baby Bop hesitates on keeping her promise to watch Ryan's pet frog while he's away, Barney tells her a tale about keeping your word. The friends help tell the story of "The Frog Prince" and Baby Bop learns a lesson in friendship along the way
The Blame Game/Airplanes (Episode #1419H)
KQED Plus: Thu, May 16, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
The Blame Game - Marcos accidentally breaks an art show project that Melanie has made. Afraid that she will be angry, he doesn't say anything, but then feels guilty. Barney helps him see that honesty and taking responsibility for what we do is always best. Airplanes - BJ brings his brand new toy plane to the park. When he goes off to play, Riff borrows BJ's plane. Unfortunately, curiosity gets the best of him and Riff takes the plane apart to see how it works. Luckily, when BJ finds out, he isn't mad. Instead, he shows Riff how to put the plane back together.
Mother Goose/Fun with Reading (Episode #1418H)
KQED Plus: Wed, May 15, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
Mother Goose - While playing in the caboose, BJ is surprised to learn that "The Land of Mother Goose" truly exists. Several Mother Goose characters have come to ask for help! Parts of their rhymes are missing! When Mother Goose arrives, she fixes the problem, and all of the Mother Goose characters return home, leaving BJ and Baby Bop hoping to visit them soon. Fun with Reading - BJ hurts his toe while pretending to be Captain Pickles. When Barney suggests he rest in the caboose, BJ is frustrated; he'd rather be outside playing. Barney reminds him of the wonderful world of books, and the little dinos decide to write a book of their own...based on the exciting true-life adventures of Captain Pickles!
The Shrinking Blankey/Things I Can Do (Episode #1417H)
KQED Plus: Tue, May 14, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
The Shrinking Blankey - Baby Bop's blankey seems to be getting smaller; she's convinced it's shrinking. But Barney shows her that, actually, she is growing. Baby Bop is not sure she likes this idea at first, but Barney soon helps her see that growing and changing are very good things! Things I Can Do - Baby Bop isn't satisfied with the things she can do. She wants to play keyboard like Riff and wants to skate like Barney. Nobody can cheer her up, until she unexpectedly gets the whole park dancing-and she realizes there are things she can do!
Best In Show/Ducks and Fish (Episode #1416H)
KQED Plus: Mon, May 13, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
Best in Show - When the kids decide to have a Dog Show to show off their pets, BJ feels a little left out. He doesn't have a dog, and he sure wishes he did! A friend from the park shares her dog with BJ so he can join in the fun. Everyone has a great time and realizes that all of their dogs are winners! Ducks and Fish - Barney sees Riff protecting a nest full of duck eggs. Together, they leave the eggs to look for food for ducklings. When they return, Riff is pleasantly surprised to find the eggs have cracked open and the baby ducklings have hatched!
Seeing/Beethoven's Hear! (Episode #1415H)
KQED Plus: Fri, May 10, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
Seeing - An ordinary game of "hide and seek" takes a not-so-ordinary turn when Baby Bop claims that an elephant is hiding in the park! Barney and Riff are happy to play along, but BJ thinks that his sister may be "seeing things." Fortunately, Barney takes this opportunity to help the young dinos learn about sight and seeing while having fun! Beethoven's Hear! - Riff can hear music in anything! When he meets a friend who can't hear well, Riff wonders if he would still like music if he couldn't hear so well. Barney tells everyone about a famous musician named Beethoven who wrote beautiful music, even though he couldn't hear it.
The Emperor's Contest/The Whole Truth (Episode #1414H)
KQED Plus: Thu, May 9, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* The Emperor's Contest - Everyone is excited about a fishing contest that is being held in the park; everyone except Ryan, who doesn't want to follow the contest rules. When Ryan is tempted not to follow the rules, Barney tells a story called "The Emperor's Contest" about a boy who had a similar problem. When it's over, Ryan decides that honesty is the best policy!
* The Whole Truth - A talented young artist is painting a portrait of Barney, but when she has to step away, BJ is mistaken for the artist of the portrait. BJ has a hard time correcting this misunderstanding. The situation snowballs as the others beg him to teach them to paint like that! In the end, BJ admits the truth and learns that honesty is the best policy!
Playing Games/No, No, No! (Episode #1413H)
KQED Plus: Wed, May 8, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Playing Games - Baby Bop has trouble following the rules and taking turns while playing games. Barney and Riff help her learn how to follow the rules. In the end, Baby Bop and BJ have fun playing together, and Baby Bop learns that rules make games fun for everyone!
* No, No, No! - It's just "one of those days" for Baby Bop! Every time she turns around, someone is telling her "no!" As her frustration grows, Barney explains that the word "no" can help you avoid making mistakes or getting hurt.
Big As Barney/The Chase (Episode #1412H)
KQED Plus: Tue, May 7, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Big as Barney - When Ryan notices how much everyone loves Barney, he tries to be just like him; but he has a hard time filling Barney's shoes. Then Ryan learns that he is special when he's just being himself!
* The Chase - On a rainy day, Barney and his friends are having a hard time deciding what to do because everyone wants to play the same role! Barney tells a Native American tale called "The Chase," to help everyone understand that it's best to think for themselves and not to follow the crowd.
The Big Garden/Get Happy! (Episode #1411H)
KQED Plus: Mon, May 6, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* The Big Garden - Baby Bop wants Barney, BJ and the kids to play with her instead of working in their garden. They promise to play with her as soon as they finish. Baby Bop can't wait, and tries many ways to get them to come play with her now, none of which work. When her friends do come to play, they have a tea party and enjoy some of the fresh vegetables from the garden. Baby Bop discovers that some things are worth the wait!
* Get Happy! - Barney, Baby Bop, BJ and Riff discover a sad little girl in the park one day and try to cheer her up. Nothing seems to work, so Riff invents a Happiness Machine. In the end, it is her friends who make her happy, not the machine at all!
Rabbits/Listen (Episode #1410H)
KQED Plus: Fri, May 3, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Rabbits - BJ is pretending to be a great detective. But all great detectives need a mystery to solve! One quickly comes his way when an animal nibbles on one of Baby Bop's healthy snacks. BJ, Barney, and Baby Bop uncover several clues along the way and soon realize the animal is someone's pet rabbit.
* Listen - When Riff hears a mysterious sound in the park, he plays detective, trying to solve the mystery. Barney and the children join in the fun. Along the way, they explore the sense of sound while identifying sounds of nature and the neighborhood.
China/Welcome, Cousin Riff (Episode #1409H)
KQED Plus: Thu, May 2, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* China - BJ is waiting for a very special letter from his pen pal in China. The letter reveals that his pen pal is coming for a visit. With the help of friends in the park, BJ hurries to get the park ready. He wants it decorated so his pen pal feels right at home. But, BJ learns that his pen pal wants to see how BJ really lives!
* Welcome, Cousin Riff - Barney has a big surprise for BJ and Baby Bop! Their cousin Riff is moving to town. BJ and Baby Bop discover Cousin Riff is nothing like what they thought he'd be...he's even better!
Butterflies/The Nature of Things (Episode #1408H)
KQED Plus: Wed, May 1, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Butterflies - Baby Bop is sad because she lost her pet caterpillar, Monty. Barney and the others try to help her find it. Baby Bop is surprised to discover Monty inside a chrysalis. Everyone is excited to find Monty-now a beautiful butterfly!
* The Nature of Things - Rachel enters the park and carelessly throws her trash on the ground. Later, when she falls asleep in the caboose, she has a dream that the park animals can talk. Through the animals' and Barney's help, Rachel learns that the park is home to many creatures. She learns the importance of nature and of keeping our earth clean!