Barney & Friends
A unique blending of education and entertainment for preschool children. Each episode emphasizes language and cognitive development, physical activity and social interaction.
Barney & Friends Previous Broadcasts
The Magic Words and Litterbot (Episode #1102)
KQED Plus: Thu, Feb 28, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* The Magic Words: In her eagerness to play with her friends, Baby Bop forgets to say "please" and "thank you". Barney tells her that these two words can be magic--they are polite words to use and people feel good when they hear them. Baby Bop has a daydream where she just can't say the magic words no matter how hard she tries! After her daydream, she remembers to be polite and always use the magic words! Educational theme: Practicing good manners such as saying, "please" and "thank you." Music curriculum: Strolling musicians play a drum, flute, mandolin and tambourine.
* Litterbot: Riff shares his dream of becoming an inventor with his friends. When Baby Bop's papers blow off the table and litter the park, Riff seizes the opportunity to show them his first invention. He invented something to pick up litter...the Litterbot! In the end, the robot malfunctions and creates even more trash. It's up to Barney and Baby Bop to teach Riff that they don't need a robot to clean up -they can clean up after themselves! Educational theme: Responsibility and environmental awareness.
Pistachio and Full Team Ahead (Episode #1101)
KQED Plus: Wed, Feb 27, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Pistachio: Barney is snacking on pistachios...and just can't seem to stop! His young friends try to help by hiding them from Barney. When that doesn't work, they tell him a story to help him stop eating pistachios. An unexpected avalanche of pistachios convinces Barney that the others may be right. Sometimes, even Barney can learn a lesson from his caring friends! Educational theme: To learn about self discipline. Music curriculum: Rhyming word play.
* Full Team Ahead: BJ is looking everywhere to find players for his baseball team. But when his baseball-impaired cousin Riff asks to play, BJ is faced with a difficult choice. BJ postpones his decision, but not before he has hurt Riff's feelings. Barney helps BJ explore the deeper meaning of team sports, friendships, and winning. This helps the cousins realize that their friendship puts them on the same team.. .now and forever! Educational theme: To learn about friendship, empathy and loyalty. Music curriculum: Labeling and demonstrating of a dulcimer.
The New Kid/The Princess and the Frog (Episode #1420H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Feb 26, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
The New Kid - When Riff meets a new friend in the park, BJ feels a little left out. BJ goes to great lengths to try to find a new friend for himself. Barney helps BJ see that we don't have to forget old friends when we make new ones. The Princess and the Frog - When Baby Bop hesitates on keeping her promise to watch Ryan's pet frog while he's away, Barney tells her a tale about keeping your word. The friends help tell the story of "The Frog Prince" and Baby Bop learns a lesson in friendship along the way
The Blame Game/Airplanes (Episode #1419H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Feb 25, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
The Blame Game - Marcos accidentally breaks an art show project that Melanie has made. Afraid that she will be angry, he doesn't say anything, but then feels guilty. Barney helps him see that honesty and taking responsibility for what we do is always best. Airplanes - BJ brings his brand new toy plane to the park. When he goes off to play, Riff borrows BJ's plane. Unfortunately, curiosity gets the best of him and Riff takes the plane apart to see how it works. Luckily, when BJ finds out, he isn't mad. Instead, he shows Riff how to put the plane back together.
Mother Goose/Fun with Reading (Episode #1418H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Feb 22, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
Mother Goose - While playing in the caboose, BJ is surprised to learn that "The Land of Mother Goose" truly exists. Several Mother Goose characters have come to ask for help! Parts of their rhymes are missing! When Mother Goose arrives, she fixes the problem, and all of the Mother Goose characters return home, leaving BJ and Baby Bop hoping to visit them soon. Fun with Reading - BJ hurts his toe while pretending to be Captain Pickles. When Barney suggests he rest in the caboose, BJ is frustrated; he'd rather be outside playing. Barney reminds him of the wonderful world of books, and the little dinos decide to write a book of their own...based on the exciting true-life adventures of Captain Pickles!
The Shrinking Blankey/Things I Can Do (Episode #1417H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Feb 21, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
The Shrinking Blankey - Baby Bop's blankey seems to be getting smaller; she's convinced it's shrinking. But Barney shows her that, actually, she is growing. Baby Bop is not sure she likes this idea at first, but Barney soon helps her see that growing and changing are very good things! Things I Can Do - Baby Bop isn't satisfied with the things she can do. She wants to play keyboard like Riff and wants to skate like Barney. Nobody can cheer her up, until she unexpectedly gets the whole park dancing-and she realizes there are things she can do!
Best In Show/Ducks and Fish (Episode #1416H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Feb 20, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
Best in Show - When the kids decide to have a Dog Show to show off their pets, BJ feels a little left out. He doesn't have a dog, and he sure wishes he did! A friend from the park shares her dog with BJ so he can join in the fun. Everyone has a great time and realizes that all of their dogs are winners! Ducks and Fish - Barney sees Riff protecting a nest full of duck eggs. Together, they leave the eggs to look for food for ducklings. When they return, Riff is pleasantly surprised to find the eggs have cracked open and the baby ducklings have hatched!
Seeing/Beethoven's Hear! (Episode #1415H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Feb 19, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
Seeing - An ordinary game of "hide and seek" takes a not-so-ordinary turn when Baby Bop claims that an elephant is hiding in the park! Barney and Riff are happy to play along, but BJ thinks that his sister may be "seeing things." Fortunately, Barney takes this opportunity to help the young dinos learn about sight and seeing while having fun! Beethoven's Hear! - Riff can hear music in anything! When he meets a friend who can't hear well, Riff wonders if he would still like music if he couldn't hear so well. Barney tells everyone about a famous musician named Beethoven who wrote beautiful music, even though he couldn't hear it.
The Emperor's Contest/The Whole Truth (Episode #1414H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Feb 18, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* The Emperor's Contest - Everyone is excited about a fishing contest that is being held in the park; everyone except Ryan, who doesn't want to follow the contest rules. When Ryan is tempted not to follow the rules, Barney tells a story called "The Emperor's Contest" about a boy who had a similar problem. When it's over, Ryan decides that honesty is the best policy!
* The Whole Truth - A talented young artist is painting a portrait of Barney, but when she has to step away, BJ is mistaken for the artist of the portrait. BJ has a hard time correcting this misunderstanding. The situation snowballs as the others beg him to teach them to paint like that! In the end, BJ admits the truth and learns that honesty is the best policy!
Playing Games/No, No, No! (Episode #1413H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Feb 15, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Playing Games - Baby Bop has trouble following the rules and taking turns while playing games. Barney and Riff help her learn how to follow the rules. In the end, Baby Bop and BJ have fun playing together, and Baby Bop learns that rules make games fun for everyone!
* No, No, No! - It's just "one of those days" for Baby Bop! Every time she turns around, someone is telling her "no!" As her frustration grows, Barney explains that the word "no" can help you avoid making mistakes or getting hurt.
Big As Barney/The Chase (Episode #1412H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Feb 14, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Big as Barney - When Ryan notices how much everyone loves Barney, he tries to be just like him; but he has a hard time filling Barney's shoes. Then Ryan learns that he is special when he's just being himself!
* The Chase - On a rainy day, Barney and his friends are having a hard time deciding what to do because everyone wants to play the same role! Barney tells a Native American tale called "The Chase," to help everyone understand that it's best to think for themselves and not to follow the crowd.
The Big Garden/Get Happy! (Episode #1411H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Feb 13, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* The Big Garden - Baby Bop wants Barney, BJ and the kids to play with her instead of working in their garden. They promise to play with her as soon as they finish. Baby Bop can't wait, and tries many ways to get them to come play with her now, none of which work. When her friends do come to play, they have a tea party and enjoy some of the fresh vegetables from the garden. Baby Bop discovers that some things are worth the wait!
* Get Happy! - Barney, Baby Bop, BJ and Riff discover a sad little girl in the park one day and try to cheer her up. Nothing seems to work, so Riff invents a Happiness Machine. In the end, it is her friends who make her happy, not the machine at all!
Rabbits/Listen (Episode #1410H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Feb 12, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Rabbits - BJ is pretending to be a great detective. But all great detectives need a mystery to solve! One quickly comes his way when an animal nibbles on one of Baby Bop's healthy snacks. BJ, Barney, and Baby Bop uncover several clues along the way and soon realize the animal is someone's pet rabbit.
* Listen - When Riff hears a mysterious sound in the park, he plays detective, trying to solve the mystery. Barney and the children join in the fun. Along the way, they explore the sense of sound while identifying sounds of nature and the neighborhood.
China/Welcome, Cousin Riff (Episode #1409H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Feb 11, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* China - BJ is waiting for a very special letter from his pen pal in China. The letter reveals that his pen pal is coming for a visit. With the help of friends in the park, BJ hurries to get the park ready. He wants it decorated so his pen pal feels right at home. But, BJ learns that his pen pal wants to see how BJ really lives!
* Welcome, Cousin Riff - Barney has a big surprise for BJ and Baby Bop! Their cousin Riff is moving to town. BJ and Baby Bop discover Cousin Riff is nothing like what they thought he'd be...he's even better!
Butterflies/The Nature of Things (Episode #1408H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Feb 8, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Butterflies - Baby Bop is sad because she lost her pet caterpillar, Monty. Barney and the others try to help her find it. Baby Bop is surprised to discover Monty inside a chrysalis. Everyone is excited to find Monty-now a beautiful butterfly!
* The Nature of Things - Rachel enters the park and carelessly throws her trash on the ground. Later, when she falls asleep in the caboose, she has a dream that the park animals can talk. Through the animals' and Barney's help, Rachel learns that the park is home to many creatures. She learns the importance of nature and of keeping our earth clean!
Little Red Rockin' Hood/Differences (Episode #1407H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Feb 7, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Little Red Rockin' Hood - Baby Bop is having a hard time finding a story she hasn't heard before. Barney and the little dinos decide to tell her an old story with a new twist! They tell the story of "Little Red Riding Hood" in a whole new way...by singing it!
* Differences - When a wheelchair-bound child is unintentionally neglected by his friends, Barney steps in to help. He gently reminds the others to include the child by showing them that even Barney feels excluded sometimes. It isn't always easy being a big, purple dinosaur. In the end, everyone is included for a day of fun!
Bop 'til You Drop/Sharing (Episode #1406H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Feb 6, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Bop 'til You Drop - The park is especially full of kids today, but all of them are busy playing. Baby Bop can't find anyone to play what she wants to play. When the others notice she is sad, they tell her they will play whatever she suggests. This works well at first, until Baby Bop becomes a little bossy. Barney helps her understand that being bossy isn't a nice way to treat your friends.
* Sharing - When Riff accidentally wrecks BJ's beloved scooter, he feels terrible! BJ loved that scooter more than almost anything! Riff and Baby Bop decide to have a sale in the park to raise money to buy BJ a new scooter.
Pistachio/Bj's Snack Attack (Episode #1405H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Feb 5, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Pistachio - Barney is snacking on pistachios...and just can't seem to stop! His young friends try to help by hiding them from Barney. When that doesn't work, they tell him a story to help him stop eating pistachios. An unexpected avalanche of pistachios convinces Barney that the others may be right. Sometimes, even Barney can learn a lesson from his caring friends!
* BJ's Snack Attack - BJ starts to feel sick after eating too many sweets. He lies down in hopes of feeling better. He has a dream about a snack fantasyland where he eats as many sweets as he wants and ends up with a big stomachache. He wakes, happy to find out it was only a dream. When he asks for a healthy snack, his friends are happy to oblige!
Movement/Separation (Episode #1404H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Feb 4, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
* Movement - When some children in the park invite Barney to join them for a race, BJ and Baby Bop decide he'll need their help. They show him several ways to get ready for the big race by warming up and stretching. By the end of the day, everyone finds out that there are many fun ways to exercise.
* Separation - Baby Bop can't wait for BJ and Riff to go on their camping trip so she can have Barney and the park all to herself! But, once they're gone, she discovers she misses them. As time goes on, she misses them more and more! Barney shows Baby Bop ways to keep friends close in our hearts while they're away.
A Game for Everyone, A Sports Adventure (Episode #1209)
KQED Plus: Fri, Feb 1, 2013 -- 1:00 PM
Barney, Baby Bop, BJ and the kids are planning a Sports Day in the park. When they meet Jill, a new friend who is too shy to participate, Barney explains that Jill might just need a little encouragement to join the fun. In the end, Sports Day is a huge success for everyone... even Jill!