Barney & Friends
A unique blending of education and entertainment for preschool children. Each episode emphasizes language and cognitive development, physical activity and social interaction.
Barney & Friends Previous Broadcasts
Mother Goose/Fun with Reading (Episode #1418H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Nov 30, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Mother Goose - While playing in the caboose, BJ is surprised to learn that "The Land of Mother Goose" truly exists. Several Mother Goose characters have come to ask for help! Parts of their rhymes are missing! When Mother Goose arrives, she fixes the problem, and all of the Mother Goose characters return home, leaving BJ and Baby Bop hoping to visit them soon. Fun with Reading - BJ hurts his toe while pretending to be Captain Pickles. When Barney suggests he rest in the caboose, BJ is frustrated; he'd rather be outside playing. Barney reminds him of the wonderful world of books, and the little dinos decide to write a book of their own...based on the exciting true-life adventures of Captain Pickles!
The Shrinking Blankey/Things I Can Do (Episode #1417H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Nov 29, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
The Shrinking Blankey - Baby Bop's blankey seems to be getting smaller; she's convinced it's shrinking. But Barney shows her that, actually, she is growing. Baby Bop is not sure she likes this idea at first, but Barney soon helps her see that growing and changing are very good things! Things I Can Do - Baby Bop isn't satisfied with the things she can do. She wants to play keyboard like Riff and wants to skate like Barney. Nobody can cheer her up, until she unexpectedly gets the whole park dancing-and she realizes there are things she can do!
Best In Show/Ducks and Fish (Episode #1416H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Nov 28, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Best in Show - When the kids decide to have a Dog Show to show off their pets, BJ feels a little left out. He doesn't have a dog, and he sure wishes he did! A friend from the park shares her dog with BJ so he can join in the fun. Everyone has a great time and realizes that all of their dogs are winners! Ducks and Fish - Barney sees Riff protecting a nest full of duck eggs. Together, they leave the eggs to look for food for ducklings. When they return, Riff is pleasantly surprised to find the eggs have cracked open and the baby ducklings have hatched!
Seeing/Beethoven's Hear! (Episode #1415H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Nov 27, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Seeing - An ordinary game of "hide and seek" takes a not-so-ordinary turn when Baby Bop claims that an elephant is hiding in the park! Barney and Riff are happy to play along, but BJ thinks that his sister may be "seeing things." Fortunately, Barney takes this opportunity to help the young dinos learn about sight and seeing while having fun! Beethoven's Hear! - Riff can hear music in anything! When he meets a friend who can't hear well, Riff wonders if he would still like music if he couldn't hear so well. Barney tells everyone about a famous musician named Beethoven who wrote beautiful music, even though he couldn't hear it.
The Emperor's Contest/The Whole Truth (Episode #1414H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Nov 26, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* The Emperor's Contest - Everyone is excited about a fishing contest that is being held in the park; everyone except Ryan, who doesn't want to follow the contest rules. When Ryan is tempted not to follow the rules, Barney tells a story called "The Emperor's Contest" about a boy who had a similar problem. When it's over, Ryan decides that honesty is the best policy!
* The Whole Truth - A talented young artist is painting a portrait of Barney, but when she has to step away, BJ is mistaken for the artist of the portrait. BJ has a hard time correcting this misunderstanding. The situation snowballs as the others beg him to teach them to paint like that! In the end, BJ admits the truth and learns that honesty is the best policy!
Playing Games/No, No, No! (Episode #1413H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Nov 23, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Playing Games - Baby Bop has trouble following the rules and taking turns while playing games. Barney and Riff help her learn how to follow the rules. In the end, Baby Bop and BJ have fun playing together, and Baby Bop learns that rules make games fun for everyone!
* No, No, No! - It's just "one of those days" for Baby Bop! Every time she turns around, someone is telling her "no!" As her frustration grows, Barney explains that the word "no" can help you avoid making mistakes or getting hurt.
Big As Barney/The Chase (Episode #1412H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Big as Barney - When Ryan notices how much everyone loves Barney, he tries to be just like him; but he has a hard time filling Barney's shoes. Then Ryan learns that he is special when he's just being himself!
* The Chase - On a rainy day, Barney and his friends are having a hard time deciding what to do because everyone wants to play the same role! Barney tells a Native American tale called "The Chase," to help everyone understand that it's best to think for themselves and not to follow the crowd.
The Big Garden/Get Happy! (Episode #1411H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Nov 21, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* The Big Garden - Baby Bop wants Barney, BJ and the kids to play with her instead of working in their garden. They promise to play with her as soon as they finish. Baby Bop can't wait, and tries many ways to get them to come play with her now, none of which work. When her friends do come to play, they have a tea party and enjoy some of the fresh vegetables from the garden. Baby Bop discovers that some things are worth the wait!
* Get Happy! - Barney, Baby Bop, BJ and Riff discover a sad little girl in the park one day and try to cheer her up. Nothing seems to work, so Riff invents a Happiness Machine. In the end, it is her friends who make her happy, not the machine at all!
Rabbits/Listen (Episode #1410H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Nov 20, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Rabbits - BJ is pretending to be a great detective. But all great detectives need a mystery to solve! One quickly comes his way when an animal nibbles on one of Baby Bop's healthy snacks. BJ, Barney, and Baby Bop uncover several clues along the way and soon realize the animal is someone's pet rabbit.
* Listen - When Riff hears a mysterious sound in the park, he plays detective, trying to solve the mystery. Barney and the children join in the fun. Along the way, they explore the sense of sound while identifying sounds of nature and the neighborhood.
China/Welcome, Cousin Riff (Episode #1409)
KQED Plus: Mon, Nov 19, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* China - BJ is waiting for a very special letter from his pen pal in China. The letter reveals that his pen pal is coming for a visit. With the help of friends in the park, BJ hurries to get the park ready. He wants it decorated so his pen pal feels right at home. But, BJ learns that his pen pal wants to see how BJ really lives!
* Welcome, Cousin Riff - Barney has a big surprise for BJ and Baby Bop! Their cousin Riff is moving to town. BJ and Baby Bop discover Cousin Riff is nothing like what they thought he'd be...he's even better!
Butterflies/The Nature of Things (Episode #1408)
KQED Plus: Fri, Nov 16, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Butterflies - Baby Bop is sad because she lost her pet caterpillar, Monty. Barney and the others try to help her find it. Baby Bop is surprised to discover Monty inside a chrysalis. Everyone is excited to find Monty-now a beautiful butterfly!
* The Nature of Things - Rachel enters the park and carelessly throws her trash on the ground. Later, when she falls asleep in the caboose, she has a dream that the park animals can talk. Through the animals' and Barney's help, Rachel learns that the park is home to many creatures. She learns the importance of nature and of keeping our earth clean!
Little Red Rockin' Hood/Differences (Episode #1407H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Nov 15, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Little Red Rockin' Hood - Baby Bop is having a hard time finding a story she hasn't heard before. Barney and the little dinos decide to tell her an old story with a new twist! They tell the story of "Little Red Riding Hood" in a whole new way...by singing it!
* Differences - When a wheelchair-bound child is unintentionally neglected by his friends, Barney steps in to help. He gently reminds the others to include the child by showing them that even Barney feels excluded sometimes. It isn't always easy being a big, purple dinosaur. In the end, everyone is included for a day of fun!
Bop 'til You Drop/Sharing (Episode #1406H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Nov 14, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Bop 'til You Drop - The park is especially full of kids today, but all of them are busy playing. Baby Bop can't find anyone to play what she wants to play. When the others notice she is sad, they tell her they will play whatever she suggests. This works well at first, until Baby Bop becomes a little bossy. Barney helps her understand that being bossy isn't a nice way to treat your friends.
* Sharing - When Riff accidentally wrecks BJ's beloved scooter, he feels terrible! BJ loved that scooter more than almost anything! Riff and Baby Bop decide to have a sale in the park to raise money to buy BJ a new scooter.
Pistachio/Bj's Snack Attack (Episode #1405H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Nov 13, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Pistachio - Barney is snacking on pistachios...and just can't seem to stop! His young friends try to help by hiding them from Barney. When that doesn't work, they tell him a story to help him stop eating pistachios. An unexpected avalanche of pistachios convinces Barney that the others may be right. Sometimes, even Barney can learn a lesson from his caring friends!
* BJ's Snack Attack - BJ starts to feel sick after eating too many sweets. He lies down in hopes of feeling better. He has a dream about a snack fantasyland where he eats as many sweets as he wants and ends up with a big stomachache. He wakes, happy to find out it was only a dream. When he asks for a healthy snack, his friends are happy to oblige!
Movement/Separation (Episode #1404H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Nov 12, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Movement - When some children in the park invite Barney to join them for a race, BJ and Baby Bop decide he'll need their help. They show him several ways to get ready for the big race by warming up and stretching. By the end of the day, everyone finds out that there are many fun ways to exercise.
* Separation - Baby Bop can't wait for BJ and Riff to go on their camping trip so she can have Barney and the park all to herself! But, once they're gone, she discovers she misses them. As time goes on, she misses them more and more! Barney shows Baby Bop ways to keep friends close in our hearts while they're away.
The Magic Caboose/Arts (Episode #1403H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Nov 9, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* The Magic Caboose - Melanie is sad because she misses her friend who is visiting relatives in India. Barney shows his friends that it's fun to go to new places and see new things by taking them on an imaginary journey on the Magic Caboose!
* Arts - It's a special day in the park as Barney and the little dinosaurs enjoy an Art Festival. BJ and Riff share some "musical art" and Baby Bop shares a painting of a very special friend...Barney! As the festival comes to an end, Barney reminds his friends everywhere that no matter what kind of art they make, it's special if it comes from their hearts!
Riff's Musical Zoo/Boats (Episode #1402H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Nov 8, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Riff's Musical Zoo - Everyone is excited about an upcoming trip to the zoo. When the trip is postponed, Riff decides to create a musical zoo. He gathers instruments that sound like real animals. Everyone has a wonderful time at Riff's musical zoo.
* Boats - Baby Bop is having a great time playing with her homemade boat. However, what she really wants is to ride in a big boat. Barney takes her inside the caboose to look at boats on the computer while BJ and Riff work on a surprise. When Barney and Baby Bop return to the playground, they discover that BJ and Riff have built a sailing ship on the playset for Baby Bop!
Home, Sweet Home: The Rainforest (Episode #1310H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Nov 7, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
It's Earth Day, a great time for everyone to learn how to help take car of our world, but Ben is wasting paper while BJ isn't too concerned about cutting down a tree to make room for a new playground. After a trip to the rainforest and a meeting with Mother Nature, everyone learns the importance of taking care of our world. As Earth Day comes to an end, Barney reminds us all that taking good care of our Earth is the natural thing to do...for the people we love.
Bonjour Barney!: France (Episode #1309H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Nov 6, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Emma wants to paint an award-winning painting for the "Art In The Park Show," but she is just isn't satisfied with her artwork. Barney takes her to France to learn how to paint from his friend Pierre. While there, they learn about France and how to paint by following your heart!
A Bird of a Different Feather: Hawaii (Episode #1308H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Nov 5, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Barney takes the kids to Hawaii on a quest for a bird of paradise. While there, they meet some friends, learn new Hawaiian words, make a Hawaiian lei and dance a hula! Eventually, Barney and his friends find a bird of paradise, but it's not quite what they were expecting!
The Good Egg: Kenya (Episode #1307H)
KQED Plus: Fri, Nov 2, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
When the kids find a mysterious, colorful egg in the park, Barney takes them on a trip to Kenya to try to find out what kind of animal could have laid the egg. While in Kenya, they meet Ayira who introduces them to many people, cultures and animals of Kenya!
The Music Box: Switzerland (Episode #1306H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Nov 1, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
The kids are having a yard sale, getting rid of old toys, books and clothes. Kioko shows up holding a prized possession-a music box from Switzerland. By accident, Ben includes the music box in a cardboard box of yard sale items-and the music box is sold! Kioko is sad and Ben wants to make things right, so he and Barney travel to Switzerland in search of a replacement gift. While there, they sample Swiss food, customs and games-but no music box! Luckily when Ben returns the music box is returned!