Barney & Friends
A unique blending of education and entertainment for preschool children. Each episode emphasizes language and cognitive development, physical activity and social interaction.
Barney & Friends Previous Broadcasts
The Music Box: Switzerland (Episode #1306H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Oct 31, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
The kids are having a yard sale, getting rid of old toys, books and clothes. Kioko shows up holding a prized possession-a music box from Switzerland. By accident, Ben includes the music box in a cardboard box of yard sale items-and the music box is sold! Kioko is sad and Ben wants to make things right, so he and Barney travel to Switzerland in search of a replacement gift. While there, they sample Swiss food, customs and games-but no music box! Luckily when Ben returns the music box is returned!
Sweeter Than Candy: Greece (Episode #1305H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Oct 30, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Barney, Baby Bop and BJ are helping the park kids get ready for a school play. When Barney tells everyone that putting on shows began in Greece, they want to go visit! While there, they meet some friends and decide to put on a play in an amphitheatre. Barney knows a great story that originated in Greece called "King Midas." By the end of the day, everyone has experienced another country and learned that wanting too much is not a good thing!
Venice, Anyone?: Italy (Episode #1304H)
KQED Plus: Mon, Oct 29, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Emma can't play with her friends because she has to complete a school project about her family. Before you know it, Barney brings Emma on a trip to Venice to learn more about her great granddad. While there, the kids learn about the culture and geography. Emma learns that a big task can be made simpler and lots more fun if you break it down into smaller tasks and take them one at a time. By the time she gets home, Emma is eager to tackle her big school project.
Guess Who? and Sweet Treats (Episode #1113)
KQED Plus: Fri, Oct 26, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Guess Who?: BJ and Baby Bop decide to get Halloween celebrations underway with a costume party. But when it comes to picking costumes, Riff just can't decide! That night, as the festivities get underway, Riff makes a grand entrance proudly wearing a costume that suits him perfectly! Educational theme: Friendship.
* Sweet Treats: Barney and his friends go trick-or-treating in the park. One of Barney's friends discovers all his candy is gone...he has a hole in his bag! BJ shares his candy and everyone learns how nice it is to share with friends! Educational theme: Sharing.
Ahora Mismo: Spain (Episode #1303H)
KQED Plus: Thu, Oct 25, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
When Ben arrives too late to get a pony ride he must learn how to wait the hard way. He's always wanted a horse and now it looks as if he's missed his opportunity. Luckily, Barney takes him to Spain where they meet Regalo, a dancing horse! Ben and Barney return to the park just in time for Ben to get a pony ride after all!
Big Brother Rusty: China (Episode #1302H)
KQED Plus: Wed, Oct 24, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Barney's excited to find out that Rusty's family is adopting a new baby girl from China; however, Rusty feels differently. He's not sure if he's going to be a good brother, and he doesn't know much about China. Barney takes him, BJ and Baby Bop on an adventure to China where he can learn more about his new sister's heritage. By the time he returns to the park, Rusty excitedly meets his new baby sister and realizes he will be the best big brother ever!
Bienvenido, Barney: Mexico (Episode #1301H)
KQED Plus: Tue, Oct 23, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Baby Bop's friend Monty the butterfly passes through the park with a flock of friends on their way to Mexico. When Monty gets left behind by his insect friends and family, Barney takes everyone on a visit to Mexico, where Baby Bop will say good-bye to her butterfly friend.
The Reluctant Dragon, A Fairy Tale Adventure (Episode #1210)
KQED Plus: Mon, Oct 22, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Barney teaches that you can't tell from the outside what someone might be like on the inside. He does this by telling a story about a dragon that wasn't at all what others thought she was. The villagers were afraid of her, but it turns out, she wasn't scary at all...as a matter of fact, she was a very nice dragon who liked to knit socks and drink tea!
A Game for Everyone, A Sports Adventure (Episode #1209)
KQED Plus: Fri, Oct 19, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Barney, Baby Bop, BJ and the kids are planning a Sports Day in the park. When they meet Jill, a new friend who is too shy to participate, Barney explains that Jill might just need a little encouragement to join the fun. In the end, Sports Day is a huge success for everyone... even Jill!
The Amazing Captain Pickles, A Hero Adventure (Episode #1208)
KQED Plus: Thu, Oct 18, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
BJ learns a lesson about bragging when he tells everyone that he, Captain Pickles, can leap over the moon! Baby Bop (also known as Wonder Princess) has some serious doubts about who is the greatest superhero! Barney helps BJ learn the importance of being honest!
The Magic Lamp, A Travel Adventure (Episode #1207)
KQED Plus: Wed, Oct 17, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Layla and her friends celebrate her birthday with traditional Lebanese foods. Layla is apprehensive about being "different," but everyone loves the new treats! With a little help from Barney, everyone is transported to a Lebanese marketplace where Leila learns that she and her culture are both truly special!
To Catch A Thief, A Mystery Adventure (Episode #1206)
KQED Plus: Tue, Oct 16, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
When several different balls suddenly disappear without a trace, it's detective BJ to the rescue! BJ is determined to find and capture the mysterious ball thief. When BJ accidentally accuses his best friend, Riff, he learns the importance of not jumping to conclusions.
Lights, Camera, Action, A Movie Adventure (Episode #1205)
KQED Plus: Mon, Oct 15, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Grace's food drive isn't going too well. Melanie decides to help her friend out by putting on a movie premier for a canned food admission price. When Baby Bop, BJ, and Riff try to help Melanie, they come up with different ideas that lead up to a cacophony of topsy-turvy events. With Barney's help, Melanie saves the day with an idea of her own - to make a movie about her friends and their mishaps.
Riff to the Rescue! A Wild West Adventure (Episode #1204)
KQED Plus: Fri, Oct 12, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
A spoof on the Wild West movies that have the dutiful Sheriff vs. the outlaw. Barney tells Riff, who's hesitant to become the captain of the baseball team, the story of his great-great-grandpa Riffle from the Wild West. Riffle was also hesitant to be the one in command, especially when Bossy Bop tries to manage the town. But after becoming the Sheriff, he proves that he can take charge and convince Bossy Bop to play well with others.
The Sword in the Sandbox, A Storybook Adventure (Episode #1203)
KQED Plus: Thu, Oct 11, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Daniel tries to jump-rope with some older kids, but intimidation sets in. He's convinced that he's just too little to do anything right. Barney helps our young protagonist by telling him a story of "The Sword in the Sandbox," a comical re-telling of the King Arthur legend. In the end, Daniel learns that there are many things he can do... if he tries hard enough.
The Misbegotten Moon, A Space Adventure (Episode #1202)
KQED Plus: Wed, Oct 10, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
To her dismay, Baby Bop sees a half-moon and thinks the moon is broken in half! Through comic events, she goes on a search to find the missing pieces. Barney takes her and the kids on a magical adventure to the moon where she meets the Man in the Moon who eases her concerns.
Way to Go! A Travel Adventure (Episode #1201)
KQED Plus: Tue, Oct 9, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
Inspired by Daniel's trip the next day, Baby Bop wants to go on a trip of her own! With the help of Barney, and their imaginations, Baby Bop, Riff, and the kids have fun exploring all types of travel using cardboard boxes. Their grand finale ends up being on a cardboard cruise ship sailing "over the ocean blue."
Riff's Musical Zoo and the Princess and the Frog (Episode #1120)
KQED Plus: Mon, Oct 8, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Riff's Musical Zoo: Everyone is excited about an upcoming trip to the zoo. When the trip is postponed, Riff decides to create a musical zoo. He gathers instruments that sound like real animals. Everyone has a wonderful time at Riff's musical zoo. Educational theme: Learning about different musical instruments.
* The Princess and the Frog: When Baby Bop hesitates on keeping her promise to watch Ryan's pet frog while he's away, Barney tells her a tale about keeping your word. The friends help tell the story of "The Frog Prince" and Baby Bop learns a lesson in friendship along the way!
The Magic Caboose and Bj The Great (Episode #1118)
KQED Plus: Fri, Oct 5, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* The Magic Caboose: Melanie is sad because she misses her friend who is visiting relatives in India. Barney shows his friends that it's fun to go to new places and see new things by taking them on an imaginary journey on the Magic Caboose! Educational theme: An introduction to different countries.
* BJ the Great: BJ wants to be a great magician, but he doesn't want to spend any time practicing. He convinces Baby Bop to help him do a trick, and makes her disappear. When BJ thinks she is gone forever, he realizes the importance of practice. Luckily, Baby Bop hasn't disappeared after all! Educational them: Practice, perseverance, making mistakes, problem solving.
The Blame Game and What's Your Name (Episode #1117)
KQED Plus: Thu, Oct 4, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* The Blame Game: Marcos accidentally breaks an art show project that Melanie has made. Afraid that she will be angry, he doesn't say anything, but then feels guilty. Barney helps him see that honesty and taking responsibility for what we do is always best. Educational theme: Taking responsibility for one's actions.
* What's Your Name?: One of Barney's friends, Myra, has decided she doesn't like her name. After learning all about many names, and what they mean, Barney helps her see that it's a very special name - because it's hers. Educational theme: Learning what names mean and the origin of different names. Music curriculum: An introduction to the guitar.
The Shrinking Blankey and the Awful Tooth (Episode #1116)
KQED Plus: Wed, Oct 3, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* The Shrinking Blankey: Baby Bop's blankey seems to be getting smaller;she's convinced it's shrinking. But Barney shows her that, actually, SHE is growing. She is not sure she likes this idea at first, but Barney soon helps her see that growing and changing are very good things! Educational theme: Growing.
* The Awful Tooth: Riff takes a bite of ice cream and realizes that he has a very sore tooth. He's a little afraid of going to the dentist to have it checked, so the others put on a show to help him see that the dentist is his friend and that there isn't anything to be afraid of. Educational theme: Dental health awareness.
Dream Big and That's What A Mommy Is (Episode #1115)
KQED Plus: Tue, Oct 2, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Dream Big: As he watches birds fly overhead, Riff begins to daydream of flying. He decides to build his very own rocket ship and fly to Mars. The flight is not exactly a success, but Barney encourages him to never give up on his dream. Educational theme: Determination.
* That's What a Mommy Is: After seeing many moms playing with their kids in the park, Baby Bop is curious. She wonders what makes somebody a mommy. With Barney's help, she learns all about what makes mommies so special! Educational theme: Appreciating caregivers.
Best In Show and the Chase (Episode #1114)
KQED Plus: Mon, Oct 1, 2012 -- 1:00 PM
* Best in Show: When the kids decide to have a Dog Show to show off their pets, BJ feels a little left out. He doesn't have a dog, and he sure wishes he did! A friend from the park shares her dog with BJ so he can join in the fun. Everyone has a great time and realizes that all of their dogs are winners!
* The Chase: On a rainy day, Barney and his friends are having a hard time deciding what to do because everyone wants to play the same role!. Barney tells a Native American tale called "The Chase", to help everyone understand that it's best to think for themselves and not to follow the crowd.