Barney & Friends
A unique blending of education and entertainment for preschool children. Each episode emphasizes language and cognitive development, physical activity and social interaction.
Barney & Friends Previous Broadcasts
China and Kenya (Episode #1020)
KQED Plus: Fri, Dec 19, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* China: BJ is waiting for a very special letter from his pen pal in China. The letter reveals that his pen pal is coming for a visit. With the help of friends in the park, BJ hurries to get the park ready. He wants it decorated so his pen pal feels right at home. But, BJ learns that his pen pal wants to see how BJ really lives!
* Kenya: Everyone is anxiously awaiting Mrs. Matuma's Harambee Dance Troupe to arrive. They finally arrive and perform a show of African music and dance. In the end, everyone pulls together in the true spirit of Harambee!
Neighborhood and Careers (Episode #1019)
KQED Plus: Thu, Dec 18, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Neighborhood: Riff can't find his drumsticks anywhere. He knows he had them when he visited various neighborhood locations with Barney earlier in the day. Barney magically recreates neighborhood spots to help refresh Riff's memory. Happily, Barney's strategy is a success and Riff finds his drumsticks. Along the way, everyone learns that the most important part of a neighborhood is the people who live there!
* Careers: Barney helps Baby Bop explore many different jobs. At the end of the day, Baby Bop has several different careers to consider for when she grows up. But for now, she's happy just being three!
Dancing and Singing (Episode #1018)
KQED Plus: Wed, Dec 17, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Dancing: Jamal has never danced before and is too shy to try. On the day of the big dance party in the park, Barney and his friends introduce Jamal to many kinds of dance. Barney assures Jamal that he can do anything he puts his mind to, even dance! With Barney's help, Jamal finally finds his groove and has fun dancing with his friends!
* Singing: Barney tells Baby Bop the story of "The Princess without a Song to Sing". In this original fairytale, Baby Bop imagines herself as the "sad little princess" trying to find her unique song. Barney, BJ and Riff all become characters in the story, each sharing their songs and revealing an element of song, sound, rhythm and feeling. With their help, the princess finds her song and is delighted to sing it for her friends!
Things I Can Do and Differences (Episode #1017)
KQED Plus: Tue, Dec 16, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Things I Can Do: Baby Bop isn't satisfied with the things she can do. She wants to play the keyboard like Riff and wants to be able to skate like Barney. Nobody can cheer her up, until she unexpectedly gets the whole park dancing--and she realizes there are things she can do, too.
* Differences: When a wheelchair-bound child is unintentionally neglected by his friends, Barney steps in to help. He gently reminds the others to include the child by showing them that even Barney feels excluded sometimes. It isn't always easy being a big, purple dinosaur. In the end, everyone is included for a day of fun!
Mother Goose and Fairy Tales (Episode #1016)
KQED Plus: Mon, Dec 15, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Mother Goose: While playing in the caboose, BJ is surprised to learn that "The Land of Mother Goose" truly exists. Several Mother Goose characters have come to ask for help; parts of their rhymes are missing! Mother Goose arrives and fixes the problem, and all of the Mother Goose characters return home, leaving BJ and Baby Bop hoping to visit them soon.
* Fairy Tales: When Baby Bop catches Barney, BJ, Riff and some children wrapping a mysterious present in the caboose, she just can't wait to see what is in the box. Barney suggests they listen to a story while they wait. Baby Bop finally gets to open her present and realizes that sometimes waiting is a good thing!
Rabbits/Ducks and Fish (Episode #1015)
KQED Plus: Fri, Dec 12, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Rabbits: BJ is pretending to be a great detective, but all great detectives need a mystery to solve! A case quickly comes his way when something nibbles on one of Baby Bop's healthy snacks. BJ, Barney, and Baby Bop uncover several clues along the way and soon realize the animal is someone's pet rabbit.
* Ducks and Fish: Barney sees Riff protecting a nest full of duck eggs. Together, they leave the eggs to look for food for when the ducklings hatch. When they return, Riff is pleasantly surprised to find the eggs have cracked open and the baby ducklings have hatched!
Days of the Week and Sharing (Episode #1014)
KQED Plus: Thu, Dec 11, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Days of the Week: BJ, Baby Bop and Riff can hardly wait for the petting zoo that is coming to the park! Barney helps them pass the time while teaching them about the days of the week. When the animals finally do arrive, everyone realizes that it was all worth the wait!
* Sharing: Riff feels terrible when he accidentally wrecks BJ's beloved scooter! BJ loved that scooter more than almost anything!So Riff and Baby Bop decide to have a sale in the park to raise money to buy BJ a new scooter.
Making Mistakes and Separation (Episode #1013)
KQED Plus: Wed, Dec 10, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Making Mistakes: BJ's enthusiastic efforts to decorate the park go awry when he accidentally paints the caboose several different colors. Barney helps BJ learn that everyone makes mistakes. Together with his friends, BJ cleans up the mess he made on the caboose.
* Separation: Baby Bop can't wait for BJ and Riff to go on their camping trip so she can have Barney and the park all to herself! But, once they're gone, she discovers she misses them, and the more time that goes by, the more she realizes she misses them! Barney shows Baby Bop ways to keep friends close in our hearts while they're away.
Playing Games and Fun with Reading (Episode #1012)
KQED Plus: Tue, Dec 9, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Playing Games: Baby Bop has trouble following the rules and taking turns while playing games, so Barney and Riff help her learn how to follow the rules. In the end, Baby Bop and BJ have fun playing together, and Baby Bop learns that rules make games fun for everyone!
* Fun with Reading: BJ hurts his toe while pretending to be Captain Pickles. When Barney suggests he rest in the caboose, BJ becomes frustrated, as he'd rather be outside playing. Barney reminds him of the wonderful world of books, and the little dinos decide to write a book of their own...based on the exciting true-life adventures of Captain Pickles!
Caring and Rhythm (Episode #1011)
KQED Plus: Mon, Dec 8, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Caring: It's a very special day at the Park...it's Barney's birthday, and there are surprises around every corner. When Barney begins to open his presents, Riff worries that his "handmade" gift won't be good enough. In the end, Barney loves Riff's gift and reminds everyone that the best gift of all is one that comes from the heart!
* Rhythm: Baby Bop is practicing her marching because she will be joining a real marching rhythm band. The problem is she can't keep the beat. Barney, BJ and Riff help Baby Bop learn about rhythm just in time for her to join the band.
Winter and Summer (Episode #1010)
KQED Plus: Fri, Dec 5, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Winter: When Baby Bop is surprised by the first day of cold weather, it's Barney that helps her see winter can be a wonderful time for fun.Baby Bop is getting discouraged, wondering if it will ever snow! Then,when she least expects it - the snow begins to fall!
* Summer: On a hot summer day, Barney teaches BJ about all the fun activities you can do during the summer. BJ gets so excited that he corrals Riff into joining him to do a whole summer's worth of activities, all in one day! With some help from Baby Bop and the children, Barney teaches BJ that summer means relaxation, too!
Pets and Vets (Episode #1009)
KQED Plus: Thu, Dec 4, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Pets: BJ learns that having a pet is a much bigger responsibility than he ever expected when he offers to take care of a friend's dog! When he accidentally loses the dog, everyone has to work together to find it!
* Vets: When Baby Bop's favorite teddy bear is torn, she wants to take him to the veterinarian for help. Barney and Riff pretend to be veterinarians. They show Baby Bop that there's nothing to be afraid of, because doctors and veterinarians are our friends too!
Counting and Letters (Episode #1008)
KQED Plus: Wed, Dec 3, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Counting: BJ and Riff find a pirate map, but in order to find the treasure, they have to be able to count. Since Baby Bop hasn't learned to count yet, Barney offers to help teach her so she is not left behind. In the end, Baby Bop learns to count and realizes that feeling good about herself is the greatest treasure in the world!
* Letters: It's time for a music concert in the park. As Riff works on his "one-man band", the others make posters for the show. Everyone enjoys Riff's calypso rendition of a favorite song, and they all enjoy helping each other!
Movement and Bj's Snack Attack (Episode #1007)
KQED Plus: Tue, Dec 2, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Movement: When some of the children in the park invite Barney to join them for a race, BJ and Baby Bop decide he'll need their help. They show him several ways to get ready for the big race by warming up and stretching. By the end of the day, everyone finds out that there are many fun ways to exercise.
* BJ's Snack Attack: When BJ starts to feel sick after eating too many sweets, he lies down in hopes of feeling better. He has a dream about a snack fantasyland where he eats as many sweets as he wants and ends up with a big stomachache. When he wakes up, he's happy to find out it was only a dream. When he asks for a healthy snack, his friends are happy to oblige!
Glad to Be Me and Arts (Episode #1006)
KQED Plus: Mon, Dec 1, 2014 -- 1:00 PM
* Glad to Be Me: Riff has many special qualities, but sometimes, his shyness makes it hard for him to meet new friends. When Barney introduces Riff to some of his friends in the park, it's Baby Bop that ends up feeling less than special as the kids seem more impressed with Riff and his special talents. Barney helps Baby Bop realize that there's more to being special than the things you can do. The way you feel and the way you make others feel makes you special, too.
* Arts: It's a special day in the park as Barney and the little dinosaurs enjoy an Art Festival. BJ and Riff share some "musical art" and Baby Bop shares a painting of a very special friend. ..Barney! As the festival comes to an end, Barney reminds his friends everywhere that no matter what kind of art they make, it's always special when it comes from their hearts!