Heal Yourself: Mind Over Medicine with Lissa Rankin, MD
Heal Yourself: Mind Over Medicine with Lissa Rankin, MD Previous Broadcasts
KQED Plus: Sat, Oct 12, 2013 -- 6:30 AM
This special is based on the 2013 New York Times bestselling book, Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof that Your Can Heal Yourself by Lissa Rankin, MD. It is a meticulously researched explanation of the critical role our thoughts, feelings, and beliefs play in our health and wellbeing - and how we can harness the power of our minds to enjoy great health and longevity with specific, easy-to-do steps.
Part 1 covers topics such as why Western medicine is very important; your brain is most important organ for your health; "Learned helplessness"; and asking what does your body need in order to heal?
Part 2 includes an explanation of the placebo effect with examples; explanation of the nocebo effect and of the role the amygdala plays in the brain and how it controls stress; understanding how the body has its own self-repair mechanisms, which are under the influence of the nervous system; and why the body's self-repair mechanisms only work when the relaxation response is activated.
Part 3 covers the importance of reducing stress response for self-healing and optimal health; Dr. Rankin's groundbreaking new wellness model: The Whole Health Cairn; why physical health is only one aspect of whole health; the difference between being healed and being cured; and healing ourselves, healing health care.
Dr. Rankin is a trained ob-gyn who has emerged as one of the newest thought leaders in the mind/body medicine arena. Her work has been featured extensively in national media, including O magazine, The New York Times, CNN, Health, Women's Health, Self, Forbes, The Chicago Tribune, Glamour, and Cosmopolitan. She is also the founder of The Whole Health Medicine Institute, dedicated to teaching doctors how to provide truly integrative health and wellness to patients. Its Board includes Dr. Bernie Siegel, Dr. Larry Dossey and Dr. Christiane Northrup, who says about Lissa, "What a pleasure it is to see the next generation of physicians waking up to what I call real medicine - the kind that acknowledges our true power to heal and be well."
- KQED Plus: Wed, Oct 30, 2013 -- 3:00 AM
- KQED Plus: Tue, Oct 29, 2013 -- 9:00 PM
- KQED Life: Sun, Oct 27, 2013 -- 2:00 PM
- KQED 9: Sun, Oct 27, 2013 -- 2:00 PM
- KQED Plus: Sun, Oct 27, 2013 -- 11:00 AM
- KQED Life: Sun, Oct 27, 2013 -- 6:00 AM
- KQED 9: Sun, Oct 27, 2013 -- 6:00 AM
- KQED Life: Sun, Oct 20, 2013 -- 11:00 AM
- KQED 9: Sun, Oct 20, 2013 -- 11:00 AM
- KQED Life: Sat, Oct 19, 2013 -- 3:30 PM
- KQED 9: Sat, Oct 19, 2013 -- 3:30 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, Oct 19, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
- KQED 9: Sat, Oct 19, 2013 -- 8:00 AM
- KQED Plus: Tue, Oct 15, 2013 -- 4:00 AM
- KQED Plus: Mon, Oct 14, 2013 -- 10:00 PM
- KQED Plus: Sat, Oct 12, 2013 -- 4:30 PM