Heat and Harvest: Impact of Climate Change On California
Heat and Harvest: Impact of Climate Change On California Previous Broadcasts
September 28, 2012 (Episode null)
KQED 9: Tue, Dec 18, 2012 -- 11:30 PM
From the vast fields of fruits and nuts in the Central Valley to the waterways of the Sacramento Delta - and many growing centers in between - climate change is beginning to take its toll on California agriculture. According to a recent report commissioned by the state EPA and Energy Commission, yields in key crops are expected to drop significantly over the coming decades as climate change alters key growing conditions. The list of crops most directly affected under business as usual conditions, assuming a 2 degree warming by 2050, reads like a walk through a supermarket produce section: yields of citrus crops in the San Joaquin Valley are expected to drop about 18% by 2050; grapes about 6%; cherries and other orchard crops about 9%. But this is not just a look into the state's future. California's farms, often called the nation's breadbasket, are already feeling the effects of the trifecta of converging forces prompted by climate change: shorter cold seasons, longer seasons of extreme heat, and dwindling water supplies. This multi-platform collaboration of the Center for Investigative Reporting and KQED's science and environment reporting teams will examine how climate change is already playing out in one of California's largest industries. Three documentary reports will be woven into one comprehensive program.
- KQED 9: Wed, Dec 26, 2012 -- 2:00 PM
- KQED World: Mon, Dec 24, 2012 -- 5:30 AM
- KQED World: Sun, Dec 23, 2012 -- 11:30 PM
- KQED World: Sun, Dec 23, 2012 -- 6:00 PM
- KQED World: Sun, Dec 23, 2012 -- 4:30 PM
- KQED 9: Sun, Dec 23, 2012 -- 4:00 PM
- KQED World: Sun, Dec 23, 2012 -- 3:00 PM
- KQED World: Sun, Dec 23, 2012 -- 6:00 AM
- KQED World: Sun, Dec 23, 2012 -- 1:00 AM
- KQED World: Sat, Dec 22, 2012 -- 7:00 PM
- KQED World: Sat, Dec 22, 2012 -- 11:30 AM
- KQED Life: Sat, Dec 22, 2012 -- 4:30 AM
- KQED 9: Sat, Dec 22, 2012 -- 1:30 AM
- KQED Life: Fri, Dec 21, 2012 -- 10:30 PM
- KQED 9: Fri, Dec 21, 2012 -- 7:30 PM
- KQED 9: Wed, Dec 19, 2012 -- 5:30 AM
Also on KQED.org this week ...
KQED Science Site Relaunches
All of KQED's science and environment content is now aggregated in one place on KQED.org. Find everything from Astronomy to Zebras!
Enter the New "ImageMakers" Screening Room
Enjoy films from present and past seasons of KQED's short independent film series, divided into Animation, Comedy, Drama, and Suspense.