This 2-part series celebrates the dramatic stories, scenic beauty and sweeping history of California state parks - the most diverse collection of state parks in the nation.
It begins in Yosemite Valley in 1864 when it was set aside as California's first state park and gave birth to the park idea. The story moves to north coast redwoods; south coast beaches; Lake Tahoe to the Anza Borrego Desert; Big Sur and Point Lobos. State historic parks like Indian Grinding Rock, La Purisima Mission, Old Monterey, Gold Country and the magnificent Hearst Castle are monuments to the diversity of California's people.
The program then traces key battles for the preservation of California's most significant scenic, historic and scientific places, and underscores the driving force pushing the American Conservation movement. Prominent players pivotal in creating the state parks such as Frederick Law Olmsted, Teddy Roosevelt and John D. Rockefeller are brought to life. Also highlighted are the untold stories of ordinary citizens who took extraordinary measures to preserve California's remarkable scenery and landmark historic sites.
California Forever Previous Broadcasts
The History of California State Parks (Episode #101H)
KQED Life: Thu, May 2, 2013 -- 8:00 PM
This episode highlights the discovery and creation of California's state parks system and celebrates the individuals and groups whose passion and commitment helped preserve and protect them for future generations. It takes viewers on a cultural and historical tour of our state parks highlighting key events, locales and people that made California history. The plot intersects with many important victories that saved much of California's most cherished landscapes and in the process, inspired the creation of the National Park Service and the protection of wilderness.
- KQED Plus: Mon, May 6, 2013 -- 2:30 AM
- KQED Plus: Sun, May 5, 2013 -- 8:30 PM
- KQED Plus: Sun, May 5, 2013 -- 9:30 AM
- KQED 9: Sun, May 5, 2013 -- 2:30 AM
- KQED Life: Sun, May 5, 2013 -- 2:30 AM
- KQED 9: Sat, May 4, 2013 -- 8:30 PM
- KQED Life: Sat, May 4, 2013 -- 8:30 PM
- KQED 9: Sat, May 4, 2013 -- 11:30 AM
- KQED Life: Sat, May 4, 2013 -- 11:30 AM
- KQED Plus: Fri, May 3, 2013 -- 4:30 AM
- KQED 9: Fri, May 3, 2013 -- 2:00 AM
- KQED Life: Fri, May 3, 2013 -- 2:00 AM
- KQED Plus: Thu, May 2, 2013 -- 10:30 PM
- KQED 9: Thu, May 2, 2013 -- 8:00 PM